Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Maybe they're working on a mobile port so they're looking at it again.

CyberModuled

Savant
There is a Ys 8 mobile version being made by Falcom but considering that NISA haven't done a mobile game to date I don't really see them starting now tbh.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The mobile version is being developed by a company based in Hong Kong, and seemingly it's built with heavily modified (or new? Unity?) engine. So nothing to do with NISA.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I started up VIII for the first time. Too early to say much, but I already love the music.

Jinn

Arcane
I started up VIII for the first time. Too early to say much, but I already love the music.

I really enjoyed my couple of hours I put into it during that free weekend a couple months back. It was really close to when I had finished a few other Ys games, so I figured it'd be good to wait a little while before I play it for a little more a of a fresh experience. Really excited to return to it soon - I'm thinking sometime near the new year.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
upload_2019-11-7_18-29-31.png

Origin was my first Ys game. And still my favorite:salute:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hello,
I've been contemplating picking up the Ys series, and I'm clueless about where to start. Does it even matter which one I play first? Am I going to miss out on the story if I play in the wrong order?
I'm not certain I'm totally going to like these games in the end, so I'm planning to buy only one game for now. So, which Ys incarnation do you think would be the best one to get a taste of the series?

Perkel

Arcane
Just play latest one. If you will like it consider playing previous ones.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would advise you to play either Ys Origins or Ys: The Oath In Felghana, which are my favorite games in the series. After Ys VI, the game goes 3D and you control a party. While the games aren't bad, I prefer the old formula.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Tse Tse Fly

Broadly speaking there are three generations or styles of Ys games--

old school: Ys 1 and 2 chronicles -
blazing fast gameplay, kill enemies by running into them, short and sweet games. I think this is a fine place for anyone to start the series.

platforming + hack and slash: Ys 6 ark of napishtim, Ys origin (prequel to the series), Ys oath in felghana (remake of ys 3) -
Also super fast but with more control, you have an attack and jump button, with a stiff but reasonable challenge. I would play them in the listed order if you want easiest to hardest, or start with Ys origin, then go to Ys 1 + 2, then play Oath in Felghana if you want to play the story chronologically.

Button mashing era: Ys Seven, Ys Eight, Ys Memories of Celceta -
These games introduce party members and more flashy combat moves, but are much easier and less precise. They don't really have platforming. They're also longer with more focus on story and talking. Memories of Celceta is a remake/alt version of Ys 4, while I think Ys eight actually takes place between 5 and 6? Idk the timeline is super confusing at this point. Ys Eight is probably the best of this bunch but the other two are fine.

Momock

Augur
Hello,
I've been contemplating picking up the Ys series, and I'm clueless about where to start. Does it even matter which one I play first? Am I going to miss out on the story if I play in the wrong order?
I'm not certain I'm totally going to like these games in the end, so I'm planning to buy only one game for now. So, which Ys incarnation do you think would be the best one to get a taste of the series?
Ys: The Oath In Felghana.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Hello,

Unlike the Legend of Heroes: Trails series, most of the games occur somewhere different each time, hence (apart from characters that travel around) there is no story necessity to go in chronological order apart from a number of key jokes about the main character Adol (eg. that if you put him on a boat that is a surefire way of a shipwreck occurring).

As others have suggested, the middle games (Ys6, Ys Origin, Ys Remake of 3) are probably the best IMO. The recent ones are fun enough though and Ys I and II are important to the general setup of the series, so it's all good.

Machocruz

Arcane
old school: Ys 1 and 2 chronicles -
blazing fast gameplay, kill enemies by running into them, short and sweet games. I think this is a fine place for anyone to start the series.
I definitely would not pass these up. Simple as hell, but charming, GOAT level music, nice graphics/art.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
There is a chronological order but you can still play the games in any order that you want. It's not super important, other than some comments or character cameos here and there. I had a reasonable understanding on the order for some of the games, but here's a full list:
https://isu.fandom.com/wiki/Ys_Games

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Yes, Ys does a good job with that. You get a grasp of who this characters are and understand the connections, but you don't need to. Even the more story-rich Ys games are easy to understand.

Btw: Has anybody imported Ys IX and tried it out by now? Is it good?

Momock

Augur
I definitely would not pass these up. Simple as hell, but charming, GOAT level music, nice graphics/art.
If you're already into the series, yes. But it's probably a terrible first contact because of the bump system.

My issues with Ys I (chronicles) is that you hit level cap super fast. Then the way to advance the story feels obscure. Getting the harmonica and all that lead up to the bat boss was unintuitive. Then, that bat boss is a pain in the balls to hit. Last boss is also some supreme bullshit.

Ys II, on the other hand, I'd consider a pert near masterpiece. The bosses end up boiling down to shooting magic, but the mindless flow combined with all the ass kicking music reaches entheogenic regions. That initial part in the town where you go into the cave mazes is a bit shit though. Greatest Sega Saturn game that never were.

Napishtim, I played after Felghana and Origins. Not as good. I played PSP version and hated how much uninteresting backtracking was involved. I'm thinking the PS2 and PC versions include a more traditional teleport deal.

Felghana is like Zelda meets Mega Man X and Symphony of the Night nestled in Yngwie's damp gooch. I appreciate the linearity to progression where new stuff is objectively better. I appreciate the XP multiplyers that encourage that enter/exit grinding pleasure. The bosses release unctuous orgastic potency upon your psyche. Mortar and pestle.

Origins is more of that same great shit. The video game equivalent of wiping a mare's piss-stink underneath a stallion's nostrils.

Ys 7 introduces a large party and removes jumping. You also get a bunch of menu bullshit when you need to switch your passive party abilities like walking on spikes or breathing underwater. You can also be fucked on the last boss if you didn't level up all the characters. This also brings in how you need to switch out characters in order to effectively do damage to certain enemies. I'd still say this is the best of the new style games. If this came out on Dreamcast in 2000 it would be revered in hushed tones.

Celceta retains the same formula with an extremely underwhelming last boss.

Y's 8 I played for about 5 hours last year but just ain't feeling the draw to continue. Layout of the map seems confusing. I struggle to see where certain paths actually take me as opposed to where I'm thinking it's taking me. I've only done one of those tower defense parts but I've got anticipatory dread already.

Bonus game is Trails of Nayuta. It strikes a better balance toward the Felghana style platforming and combat. The platforming and level structuring is quite similar to Crash Bandicoot. You change the seasons to make levels have different shit. It does have one of those dopey "cook all the meals" systems that them slopes love to shoehorn in. Bosses are awesome. Basically Peter Pan with big anime tiddies.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Yes, Ys does a good job with that. You get a grasp of who this characters are and understand the connections, but you don't need to. Even the more story-rich Ys games are easy to understand.

Btw: Has anybody imported Ys IX and tried it out by now? Is it good?

No but basically like all Ys I am sure it can be summed up by it's music:

Shadenuat

Arcane
japanese tryharding into latin is even funnier than them tryharding into europ mythology or christianity or english language for their american characters in anime

tet666

Augur
japanese tryharding into latin is even funnier than them tryharding into europ mythology or christianity or english language for their american characters in anime

Don't get me started on german...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom