Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Ivan

Arcane
Epic Game Store freebie: Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. This is one title I was particularly looking forward to, so...
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair/home
giphy.webp
:bounce:

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Epic Game Store freebie: Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair.

I stand corrected then and just got it, holy crap
You guys really made me wonder what sort of game would look so good as to convert Codexers to the Epic Store. But this looks like a super faggy game. Cutesy bullshit all over. If that's your taste, no wonder you fags fagged out for the Epic Fag Store. Of course that 10$ off coupon for future buttfucking is gonna come handy for you guys. Don't forget the lube!

Modron

Arcane
I thought I read that A Hat in Time wiped the absolute floor with Yooka Laylee?
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair is the sequel and they embraced their donkey kong country roots more to great results in it apparently people seem to loeve it.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zero games in epic store i want to pirate so it's even less games i want to buy.

Wtf, i must give money for classic RPG's: M&M1-6, W1-7, GoldBox to GoG, Steam?! Do Bradley, Caneghem still get extra shekel?!

Are you saying that I can just waltz in to my local book store and leave with a copy of Don Quixote without paying because Cervantes won't see a dime from it? Cool!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Epic will continue to offer free games throughout 2020: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-store-tops-usd680-million-in-player-spending

Epic Games Store tops $680 million in player spending
Storefront touts 108 million PC customers a little over a year after launch, extends weekly free game promotion through 2020

Epic Games today offered an update on the growth of the Epic Games Store. Launched in December of 2018, the store to-date has racked up $680 million in spending from 108 million PC customers.

While much of that total can be accounted for by Epic's own hit Fortnite, the company noted that $251 million has been spent by players on third-party PC games.

One of Epic Games Store's biggest selling points for customers has been its distribution of free games. When the Epic Games Store launched, Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney promised it would offer one free game every two weeks throughout 2019. It actually surpassed that mark, so far providing 73 free games to players that have been downloaded more than 200 million times put together. The program has been successful enough that Epic also announced today it will be offering weekly free games throughout 2020.

The other big selling point came in the form of exclusivity on the PC versions of anticipated games. That also seems to be drawing consumers, as Epic's list of the most popular Epic Games Store titles consisted of nine third-party titles, all of them exclusive: World War Z, Satisfactory, Dauntless, Untitled Goose Game, Outer Worlds, Borderlands 3, Metro Exodus, The Division 2, and Control. An Epic representative clarified for GamesIndustry.biz that list was based on sales, and does not include free-to-play titles.

This is not the first time Epic has provided an update on Epic Games Store sales. Last March, less than four months after launch, Epic's David Stelzer told developers the store was nearing $500 million in gross revenues. However, Epic said shortly thereafter that Stelzer misspoke and that number wasn't accurate.

Also infographics.

To put this into a perspective Steam's revenues in 2017 was 4.3B USD (conservatively estimated, by non other than SteamSpy guy himself, F2P games and in-app purchases were not counted) and Fortnite's estimated revenues are billions USD per year. Yeah, 680 million seems small compared to those but without no doubt this is the most successful effort as a competitor to Steam. I have to wonder how much Epic has spent for giveaways and exclusive deals though.

(Also funny they're boasting the average Opencritic score for free games, not exclusive games.)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Zero games in epic store i want to pirate so it's even less games i want to buy.

Wtf, i must give money for classic RPG's: M&M1-6, W1-7, GoldBox to GoG, Steam?! Do Bradley, Caneghem still get extra shekel?!

Are you saying that I can just waltz in to my local book store and leave with a copy of Don Quixote without paying because Cervantes won't see a dime from it? Cool!

https://www.gutenberg.org/

Yes.

flyingjohn

Arcane
The article mentions that Fortnite is responsible for 429M of that 680M.

Since their cut is 12%,they only made 30M of that remaining 251M. And that is before you even look into the coupons which lower that even more.
Wow,without Fortnite they would make even less money then GOG.

Silentstorm

Learned
429M for Fortnite seems really low, that game is everywhere, seriously i have passed through toy aisles in stores where 99% of toys or even just Funko Pop stuff is Fortnite, there is a TCG, it's mentioned all the time and last i checked, it was the most played game on the planet.

Then again, it is F2P and not everyone wants to pay, i just assumed it made more money than that, still, if flyingjohn above me is right, then...didn't Steam absolutely destroy Epic, with or without Fortnite?

Also, i assume the billions part comes from merchandise then?

passerby

Arcane
$400 mil is a lot of money relatively, but yeah I would have expected Fortnite to have generated way more. Interesting.

It was generating 200 mil monthly in 2018 and it generated 4 bn revenue since release.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom