Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Another great review:

2/5 - I may have to do a fourth playthrough

6g0qyAY.png

https://www.twitch.tv/silentsigil/

He streamed two playthroughs, not sure if he really did a third. As far as I remember, something was bugging out keeping him from completing the game (not sure if true).

Radiane

Cipher
Well now that this game is on Gog I tried it out too. I was really curious by all this hype this game got. As someone whose favorite crpg is Wiz7 I have to say, well, it´s not like first love feelings towards Grimoire, this game definetily needs getting used to before enjoyment, that´s my very first impression.
The game has a somewhat dusty & rusty archaic feel to it, don´t know if it´s coincidentally or not

Casual Hero

Augur
Well now that this game is on Gog I tried it out too. I was really curious by all this hype this game got. As someone whose favorite crpg is Wiz7 I have to say, well, it´s not like first love feelings towards Grimoire, this game definetily needs getting used to before enjoyment, that´s my very first impression.
The game has a somewhat dusty & rusty archaic feel to it, don´t know if it´s coincidentally or not
Because Wizardry 7 is not archaic at all. :shittydog:

Silentsigil

Novice
Another great review:

2/5 - I may have to do a fourth playthrough

6g0qyAY.png

Hi there. Gog doesn't allow review edits apparently. Revised my steam review to reflect the game's current status. No change in recommendation status.

**Edit- V3
Enemies still cast @SPELLTAG on the regular. Unfixed since V1--the "complete" release (sold at AAA prices) something around 2 years ago.

Stamina regeneration on rest and depletion on...doing ♥♥♥♥ing anything... seems to have been made worse? All stamina drains are % based, all stamina recovery is flat. This means the diminishing returns of rest and the flat increases of food/spells/etc. make CON a pure dump stat. Avoid at all costs.(Suicide and force resurrect until CON is 10) HP growth is purely class based. You'll inevitably reach 999 stamina, meaning you'll need to rest for 2-4 minutes every 5 minutes of active play. Or spend 6+ minutes casting stamina spells. This is...♥♥♥♥ing bad.

I gave up before checking this over again, but the SPIRIT bar is supposed to currently grant resistances to spooky ♥♥♥♥. However, it used to be a HUNGER bar. In late V2 stages, most spoopy enemies made you HUNGRY. Because. Sure, why the ♥♥♥♥ not. The SPIRIT bar and the maintenance of it on top of the above stamina maintenance was utterly pointless as the added resistance didn't exist (if it did, it was not visible or relevant). Since nothing else that actually matters seems to have been fixed I'm just going to assume this hasn't been fixed either.

Several race/class combinations still start with 0 skills allocated. This sets you somewhere between 1 and 20 class levels behind due to the EXTREME randomization of skill levels on level up. Tying into this, you can (AND SHOULD, multiclassing is weird) bank attribute points on level up. You cannot bank Skill points. Every time you level up, any skill points you have not allocated are erased from existence and replaced by the new level up.
These are the basic systems that you'll be wrestling with the entire game for it to even function.

In previous versions most of the highest level spells weren't implemented in any way whatsoever. V2 means this no longer caused a CTD, but they still did nothing. I'm not wasting my time to see if they actually work now.

The game needs actual reviews and criticism, not flunkying or random hateful shit. Could still be made into a pretty damn good game in V4 if Cleve manages to learn the function of "Ctrl-F"

Like this:

If you wan't the stamina system to work the way you seem to want it to, then a potential fix would be to tune down severely the amount of stamina gained per levelup. Even the most flimsy armed wizard and flaccid bard seems to gain at a minimum 37 or so stamina a levelup. Beefy types seem to be able to peak around 70 on a ridiculous roll. Crank that shit down to 4-7 a levelup and then the system would function more reasonably as-is and not immediately wreck your life at about clvl 7 (37x7 =259, above 1/4 the cap...+ starting stamina...)

Last edited:

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Cleve is the overman. Nietzche plays grimoire in heaven and splutters like a newborn babe. He is here to set humanity on the glorious path of upward inclination, not to make sure every finger sniffer gets a shiny sticker from mommy.

Perhaps playing through a fifth time will help you figure out if you like it or not, greta.

Silentsigil

Novice
I think it's pretty obvious I do like it, otherwise I wouldn't know shit about it. I just can't recommend it to anyone that isn't a masochist or has a job.

Think this might be the last I dip my toes into this, though. I have other shit to do than wait another year for an update and I definitely don't belong on this forum. GL, nerds.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I think it's pretty obvious I do like it, otherwise I wouldn't know shit about it. I just can't recommend it to anyone that isn't a masochist or has a job.

Think this might be the last I dip my toes into this, though. I have other shit to do than wait another year for an update and I definitely don't belong on this forum. GL, nerds.

I'll pay you $40 to take down your ridiculous parody review, remove the game from your computer and then go away and never return.

Cael

Arcane

I'll pay you $40 to take down your ridiculous parody review, remove the game from your computer and then go away and never return.
Hmm... Buy Grimoire for $20, pretends to hate it and write a bad review, Cleve pays me $40 to fuck off...

There is a scam in there somewhere... :hahano:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

d1nolore

Savant
So whats the story? Is vitality a game breaking pain in the ass, an easy non issue, or somewhere in the middle?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS VITALITY IS A MINOR PAIN IN THE ASS

I HAVENT GOT MUCH PAST SAMHAM TERROR IN LIKE THREE PLAYTHROUGHALS BECAUSE I THINK I SHOULD HAVE BUILT MY PARTYS BETTER

GRIMOIRE IS FILLED WITH ANNOYING SHIT BUT I THINK THE GAME HAS A CERTAIN STYLE AND CHARM THAT CANNOT BE DENIID!!!

LOLOLLOL L BROS TRU STORY WHEN THE GAME CAME OUT I TOLD MY WIFE ABOUT IT AND ONE DAY SHE SAID SHE WAS TIRED OF ME TALKING ABOUT MACGREGOR LOLLOLLLOL THAT IS WHAT SHE CALLED IT

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Vitality loss also seems to slow down once it gets to around 15% or so remaining, and I've persisted through countless battles with low vitality and come out fine.

I never had any problems with low vitality (and I'm easily annoyed normally). A nap and it's gone. I too have fought many battles with a totally tired out party (some of my lazy bastards even dared to sleep during fights now and then) and it wasn't much of a hassle. For me the vitality mechanic adds quite some tension to the game and I wouldn't want to miss it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom