Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

gestalt11

Arbiter
Please give some arguments why would they divert from their recipe of success that was D:OS series ?

You being butthurt and wishing BG3 to fail is not an argument btw

Boredom

LSD

Stupidity

Boredom

Cocaine

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
BG3 won't be like Witcher. They can't change genre defining game to become unrecognizable. In fact, how would you play with party in Witcha game? They won't do that. They can't do that. I'll be their doom.
You have several routes, you either make it like Twitcher with toggle-able companions (i.e. you click their portrait and take control of them directly), or you make it like DA:I (the difference is that auto-attacking exists in DA:I, while Twitcher is all action), or you don't control your companions at all, like Dragon's Dogma.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's either going to be like Twitcher, if they go full action game, or like DA:I. There really is no other alternative if they don't want to crash and burn with the amount of resources they've poured into this.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
You have several routes, you either make it like Twitcher with toggle-able companions (i.e. you click their portrait and take control of them directly), or you make it like DA:I (the difference is that auto-attacking exists in DA:I, while Twitcher is all action), or you don't control your companions at all, like Dragon's Dogma.
This is unacceptable . They can't rob us like that. I'll be like DOS2 but better.

S.torch

Arbiter
There really is no other alternative if they don't want to crash and burn

And that's what I found ironic about your comments, because The Witcher is not a success because of the combat system (which is pretty good).

Mortmal

Arcane
This is unacceptable . They can't rob us like that. I'll be like DOS2 but better.
You haven't paid anything yet how can they rob you ? If it's DOS 2 but better what's taking so long to show some gameplay and why so much secrecy . It's a video game and still "Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios - No, there are no actual gameplay details yet" . Should be the greatest rpg news ever instead 253 pages of shitposting and i am proud to contribute too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There really is no other alternative if they don't want to crash and burn

And that's what I found ironic about your comments, because The Witcher is not a success because of the combat system (which is pretty good).
It doesn't matter why it's a success, the fact is developers don't seem to take any other approach other than the holistic one, so they'll copy it as-is and hope it will garner mainstream accolades and sales. The combat system does influence a lot of things, though, and nobody who isn't disingenuous and/or delusional can say that it doesn't matter.

S.torch

Arbiter
It doesn't matter why it's a success, the fact is developers don't seem to take any other approach other than the holistic one

And I'm saying that doesn't matters because the game will not be like The Witcher anyway. Assassins Creed already tried to copy it, the results are there, a game that is nothing like the witcher game.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well it's nothing but Swen at 1:41:56:

"So, for all of those of you who are looking for Baldur's Gate 3 news you'll have to wait a little bit more, but it's coming. We're working very, very, very hard on it. So I think next year should be an interesting one for you."

Atchodas

Augur
Boredom

LSD

Stupidity

Boredom

Cocaine

These are most legit arguments I have read in this thread about why Larian might want to fuck up BG3, honestly it just says a lot about quality of other arguments :D

Swen seems like cocaine guy doesn't he

Lacrymas

Arcane
That moment when you are so delusional you'd accept drugs as a better argument than the entire recent history of video gaming, the workings of the market forces, Larian's secrecy and statements, and interpretation of evidence connected to all of these.

Atchodas

Augur
That moment when you are so delusional

It seems you are having such moment right now

the entire recent history of video gaming, the workings of the market forces, Larian's secrecy and statements, and interpretation of evidence connected to all of these.

elderprops-xfiles-i-want-to-belive-670x1024.jpg

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
so is there a timeline when we are going to see gameplay?
This is Baldur's Gate 3 mang, the last installment was 20 years ago. They're obviously going to take their sweet ass time with it. "Torment 2" couldn't even get the original I.P in the end, yet the stakes on that were still stupidly high for the same reason.

Larian no doubt also want to appease fans of BG and their own series, D:OS. Which probably means = having a RtwP & Turn-based option. Moreso after Obsidian did that in POE2 with ease - the bar was raised.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They were supposed to release something in winter which just started a few days ago. They have three months.

Don't expect anything in the next two weeks, everyone's tuned out.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
BG3 won't be like Witcher. They can't change genre defining game to become unrecognizable. In fact, how would you play with party in Witcha game? They won't do that. They can't do that. I'll be their doom.
The moment Swen shows up on a video and explains how they have transferred BG into the current age of gaming and now you can see the walls and streets and walk the legendary city of Baldur's Gate, all the fanboys will lap it up and dissenting voices will be suppressed. And you all know this.

Trashos

Arcane
If they go both RTwP and TB, it is going to be out of cowardice. Enjoy a game where the most fundamental design decisions were made out of cowardice.

Cael

Arcane
I find it hilarious that the new ToEE in DnD 3.5 did TB so very well and not a single game since had managed to emulate its combat system. It is like modern game devs really has no clue in the slightest on how to make games. Too much muh 375648282747438256347 genders and not enough coding.

Citizen

If they go both RTwP and TB, it is going to be out of cowardice. Enjoy a game where the most fundamental design decisions were made out of cowardice.

Both RTWP and TB? What a great idea! You guys remember Arcanum and X-COM: Apocalypse? Such great combat systems :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom