Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pete posts about previous interviews

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<b>Pete Hines</b>, <A href="http://www.bethsoft.com">Bethesda</a>'s PR guru, has made a few posts in <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2822842&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=3&vc=1">this thread</A> on the <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/">The Elder Scrolls forum</a> clarifying some stuff that he's been taking flak from over the last couple of weeks. Here's some important stuff:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Sure, that was a phone interview and he slightly misquoted me. What I said was, "I don't know if we'd suddenly..."
<br>
<br>
All the other interviews I've done were by email.
<br>
<br>
It's too early to say because it's too early to say. Nothing's been decided. Sure we have intentions and ideas, but nothing firm yet. There are certainly things we fully INTEND to do, and I could simply and easily answer those questions, but since no team has sat down and decided yet for sure, then it doesn't make sense to give definite answers, even if it's as simple and fundamental as the SPECIAL system. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
So, it looks like <a href="http://pc.ign.com">IGN</a> screwed the pooch for everyone with that misquote. That's a pretty big misquote considering it did a lot of damage all around.
<br>
<br>
Also in that thread:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I played KOTOR with auto-pause turned on in the options, so that it pauses between each round of combat, thereby turning it into more of a turn-based (or round-based, let's not split hairs) experience. Baldur's Gate worked the same way -- KOTOR really just built on that combat system, IMHO -- depending on the settings you used. It's not true turn-based, but it sure is similar and I quite liked it. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Phase based and turn based <i>aren't</i> the same thing. It's like saying a cat is a dog because it has four legs, fur, and a tail. Sure, they're both pets, but they're set up differently.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com">No Mutants Allowed</A>

plin

Liturgist
Saint: He didn't say they were the same thing. He said phase-based is more like turn-based than real-time.

Seven

Erudite
TB involves turn taking where the Player goes, and then the NPCs do their thing (all dependant on sequence of curse). Phase based has things going down at the same time. There are other differences, but I'll give you a chance to grapple with this first.

EDIT: Since when did typeover get turned on in this forum?

Transcendent One

Liturgist
I honestly do not understand these people. KotOR feels real time to me because everything moves simultaneously. I don't care if there are sequences and turns "under the hood" or whatever other nonsense they come up with. All I care is that it feels nothing like the traditional turn based where things actually follow the concept and move "in turns". Whatever Pete.

Next :arrow:

Ortchel

Liturgist
I bet you make a lot of friends with that attitude.

Douchebag.

ichpokhudezh

Liturgist
Transcendent One said:
KotOR feels real time to me because everything moves simultaneously. I don't care if there are sequences and turns "under the hood" or whatever other nonsense they come up with. All I care is that it feels nothing like the traditional turn based where things actually follow the concept and move "in turns". Whatever Pete.
Next :arrow:
:lol: That's about as ignorant as the original topic provider (P.Hines)

PS. I cannot believe the guy was not told to shut the fuck up already by his bosses.

Seven

Erudite
Ortchel said:
I bet you make a lot of friends with that attitude.

Douchebag.

WOW!!! What an original sentiment and insult. You must be a popular guy with that wit, either that or you're picked-on incessantly by the bigger kids in school, right?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The fundamental difference is that KotOR has simultaneous actions, turn based does not. If you toss a grenade in KotOR, the grenade is aimed for the feet of the target for where they are when you toss it. If they're running towards you, you'll nearly always miss because of this. The grenade is in the air and travelling to it's destination while they're moving. In turn based, they would never be moving at that time, so it would always hit because only one unit is allowed to move at a time.

There's no splitting hairs about it, phase based works differently than turn based.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
If you toss a grenade in KotOR, the grenade is aimed for the feet of the target for where they are when you toss it. If they're running towards you, you'll nearly always miss because of this

What baffles me is why they even made it this way (well maybe it was console interface limitations, I don't know). Clearly for a running target you'd aim slightly ahead of them so by the time your shot gets there they'll be there too. I was rather infuriated to be limited to throwing grenades at the opponents feet knowing full well they'd not be in the same spot when it gets there.

taks

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
If you toss a grenade in KotOR, the grenade is aimed for the feet of the target for where they are when you toss it. If they're running towards you, you'll nearly always miss because of this. The grenade is in the air and travelling to it's destination while they're moving. In turn based, they would never be moving at that time, so it would always hit because only one unit is allowed to move at a time.
i think a good system should accomodate this and take into account the fact that you'd be able to "lead" the target with your grenade... not that it's ever been done that way, however...

taks

Ortchel

Liturgist
I graduated years ago, man.

You on the other hand, obviously didn't.

Edit: After viewing your other posts it appears you can't submit without sneaking some form of a troll into it's contents, I guess that makes you 'edgy'.

In conclusion, I won't bother with you any longer.

Spazmo

Erudite
Now hang on there, chief--if memory serves, you're the guy who kinda dropped out of school for a year at the age of 16 because --guffaw--you were "in love", right? So how do you get to give anyone lessons about getting through school?

Ortchel

Liturgist
How does that change the fact that I graduated years ago?

omg love thats not turn based loL

Get a clue. You're only 17, you've got no room to interject here.

Spazmo

Erudite
And you, in your 18 or 19 year old glory are naturally gifted with infinite wisdom that I can't even conceive of? And you've achieved all this without even leaving home for over a year? ASTOUNDING!

Ortchel

Liturgist
20. And yes. That sounds about right.

Using my agoraphobia as ammunition? I'm so impressed.

Spazmo

Erudite
Right, listen, this is just useless spam. I know you're angry because people around here noticed how crap Morrowind was, but acting smug and dismissive only really works if you don't hang around and respond to every post. So hey, stick to the Bethesda boards and have a good circlejerk there and leave us to ours.

P.S. Get a haircut.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Can't take the heat?

Owned.

What's that like the third time? If nothing else, I admire your blind persistence.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
Spazmo's 17? Well thats fucked up. On my first post here I said something silly like "I'm totally 18 and younger than most people here!" because I didn't think one of the people who run the site was younger than me, of all things.

Most people here seem older than the retards I knew when I was 17, is the point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom