Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Revisiting VtM: Bloodlines

HansDampf

Arcane
Jeanette is easy. Therese is the problem. Worst case you'd have to go back to your first meeting with her. Tell her you're glad Jeanette isn't here, etc. (but don't suggest to kill her).
Or change the variable.

Swigen

Arbiter
Killed Kanker, figured it’s all gravy from now on, an now Bishop is pushing my shit in!

:negative:

cruel

Cipher
I finished the game yesterday, playing it for the first time in full (previously never made it past the tutorial). Overall, good game and every RPG fan should play it, but... I get an impression it's a little bit over-hyped.

Some of the aspects of the game are truly top notch / world class:
- characters
- writing
- atmosphere

And those are, of course, very important things. But, the list of stuff that's NOT top notch is also pretty big:
- combat sucks
- most magic happens in the first 10h of the game
- last 1/4 of the game is crap, feels rushed
- exploration is meh
- itemization sucks (less than 10 melee weapons in the whole game)
- some of the dungeons design is a disgrace (Warrens, Hallowbrook Hotel)
- there are still bugs, after millions of patches for 15+ years

Overall - it's a good game, but IMO doesn't deserve to be put in the same league (as a whole package) as Planescape: Torment, BG2 or Deus Ex.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I finished the game yesterday, playing it for the first time in full (previously never made it past the tutorial). Overall, good game and every RPG fan should play it, but... I get an impression it's a little bit over-hyped.

Some of the aspects of the game are truly top notch / world class:
- characters
- writing
- atmosphere

And those are, of course, very important things. But, the list of stuff that's NOT top notch is also pretty big:
- combat sucks
- most magic happens in the first 10h of the game
- last 1/4 of the game is crap, feels rushed
- exploration is meh

Overall - it's a good game, but IMO doesn't deserve to be put in the same league (as a whole package) as Planescape: Torment, BG2 or Deus Ex.

The issues you list here are all true. But the three positives you mentioned first far outweigh the issues. Bloodlines is well worth to be ranked along the likes of Planescape.

Also, Wesp's Unofficial Patch helps. A lot.

Jason Liang

Arcane
- exploration is meh
Which clan did you play? You should play either Nos or Malk to appeciate exploration in this game
It's not much worse than the early GTAs
nitpicks, pretty much every rpg has a few stinkers
which did you encounter? would be useful for Wesp5

It also depends on *how* you play the game. If you played by following a walkthrough, then you will have a more disappointing experience

cruel

Cipher
I played as Tremere, zero walkthroughs / guides of course (probably one of the reasons why I failed to save both sisters, and I failed to get Tremere haven as well). But this is the only true way of playing for me. I did a melee build with some blood magic mixed in.

I played with latest unofficial patch from Wesp - version 10.5. Some of the bugs I had:
- game hanging on sisters (Tourette) encounter; needed to load earlier save
- stuck in environment 2 or 3 times
- stuck in Asylum once, one of the ladies kept blocking the door
- 2 or 3 other minor glitches I don't remember well

Nothing game breaking if you keep older saves, but still.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I played as Tremere (...) I did a melee build

:what:

Tremere is the patrician's choice.

Sorry friend, but Ventrue is the patrician's choice :smug:

Both in terms of gameplay (builds & hideout) and of plot.

Strauss ending >>> All.

This, however, is true. At least as far as the original content goes. In this case I shall have to give this renegade bloodline of the Tzimisce their due.

Vatnik Wumao
Sorry friend, but Ventrue is the patrician's choice :smug:
I'll concede in terms of setting and not VtMB itself. That being said, Old Brujah > Ventrue shmucks. :obviously:
Old brujah were still a bunch of libtard cucks that got owned.
More like autistic Codexers, while some of the latter also fit into the niggardly behavior of the modern Brujah.
I become depressed every time this game ends.
Once you play a normal playthrough and then try out Nosferatu and Malkavian, I can't really see it having that much replay value.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom