Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've only played the demo of Silver and of Gorky17 but both were incredibly amazing to 13-year old me.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Shogo needs some patching and tricks in order to run without problems.

Look at this art. Some poor artist had to learn how to draw like a jap just for this game.

AUI2RAVdDj3dyqrzl5Nq4w.jpeg

Looks like a bootleg version of that Masamune guy who drew manga GitS. Not a bad attempt, but he fucked up the girl. A crucial mistake when it comes to animu.

cd4d11981f8758c56b92775e062ae971.jpg

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
ONI (Never played it. I'll have to wait for it to appear on GOG)

I haven't played this game since its release, but my experience that it was a competent beat'em-up. Tough as nails too, I didn't get very far in it. It may be better with a controller.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
ive dl'ed jedi knight II jedi outcast; heard good things; is it better than academy?

Mechanically they're pretty much identical, though I like Outcast better than Academy (better feeling of progression as you don't get Jedi powers straight away, much cooler protagonist). Outcast is also somewhat harder, especially the early game when you are limited to using gun - those stormtroopers will wreck your shit.

Academy feels much like an expansion pack to Outcast, so if you didn't like one it stands to reason you won't like the other.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
ONI (Never played it. I'll have to wait for it to appear on GOG)

I haven't played this game since its release, but my experience that it was a competent beat'em-up. Tough as nails too, I didn't get very far in it. It may be better with a controller.
Turns out it still has a somewhat active modding community. I... I was not expecting that.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
Unavowed :4/5:
Wadjget Eye's most recent and most ambitious project to date. All the charm and heart from the Blackwell series is kept intact in this entry that takes place in the same universe. I'm quite fond of Dave's adventure games. Character and worldbuilding take center stage while the puzzles are the means with which to move the action forward. I was never stuck and the game is stronger for it IMO. I congratulated him on his Twitter and said I look forward to his next project.

Kudos for the puzzle solution branching based on party. I'd like to see this effort toward innovation maintained in the sequel. Perhaps flesh out the interactivity a bit more, even just for flavor and not just puzzle solutions.

Also, I had to include this jam.

JDR13

Arcane
got the jedi knight star wars pack with my redeemed festive tokens

dl'ed and played first level of jedi knight jedi academy; urgh not my cup of fetal matter

ive dl'ed jedi knight II jedi outcast; heard good things; is it better than academy?

All the games in that series were great for their time imo, but the engines they were built on have not aged well.

laclongquan

Arcane
- Septerra Core (I've just installed GOG version)

I remember that game. A very interesting world.
But I never finished it, dropped it at 50% progress but I can't remember exactly why.
Maybe I lost interest, was under-leveled or my HD crashed. It was a long time ago!

Most likely the outer area of the capital in Layer one. It's heavy as shit for computer of that era. The maps has to load all at once, kinda like NWN2 SOZ and man, the outer area map is very big, three times that of a normal map of that game.

Normal area can be played by normal computers, but that area? You would need a gaming rig for that one.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Jedi Academy single player is a huge let down from Outcast, Academy was more of a multiplayer game with a token single player mode while Outcast was a full single player game. Outcast has a proper campaign long campaign with developed missions and a story with a beginning middle and end on contrary of Academy with its collection of short scenarios. It is a pity because some of those short scenarios on Academy are really good but they are more like proofs of concept than truly levels. RIP Raven, I miss you.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Defated Hell Diablo with my Werewolf Druid. As long as you have max Fire and Lightning resistance and some (like 14) Magic Attack Reduction he is rather pitiful.
Crazy that Big Mr D. is so inferior to some random boss.

Didn't get the runes I wanted at the Forge for any of my seven characters: 3 Shaels (have quite a few of them already) and 3 Pul runes. Using the 1.09 patch there's not a single runeword using the Pul. :argh:

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
got the jedi knight star wars pack with my redeemed festive tokens

dl'ed and played first level of jedi knight jedi academy; urgh not my cup of fetal matter

YMMV depending on whether you want to blast things or cut them in half with a shiny sword (in which case Outcast and Academy are by far your best options), but I recently played DF2: Jedi Knight for the first time and found it to be the best of the bunch.

Academy opens with the whole first set of levels being an overlong extended tutorial while Outcast opens with some of its best levels. Most of the annoying stuff of Academy (Guns feeling useless and irrelevant, non-saber enemies being a joke except for infuriating snipers, level design based around finding your way up to a ledge that is coincidentally 5 feet above your current force jump level) makes itself to Outcast in due time when you become a jedi. You never have to deal with Academy's annoying characters though.

Last edited:

hexer

Playing Dead in Vinland all morning.
Wish RPGs would incorporate lots of mechanics from games such as these.

Blonsky

Prophet
Second attempt of finishing Fell Seal Arbiters Mark.
I ramped up the difficulty and its more fun then the first time; i need to bring highest level characters into every fight and im actualy leveling faster my low level characters by buffing high levels then fighting enemies.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jedi Academy single player is a huge let down from Outcast, Academy was more of a multiplayer game with a token single player mode while Outcast was a full single player game. Outcast has a proper campaign long campaign with developed missions and a story with a beginning middle and end on contrary of Academy with its collection of short scenarios. It is a pity because some of those short scenarios on Academy are really good but they are more like proofs of concept than truly levels. RIP Raven, I miss you.

Jedi Academy has got a story in it, you just have to complete sets of unrelated levels before being allowed to progress (like having to do the side quests before the main quest). I'd still say Outcast is better than academy, if only for not starting as a jedi.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Academy opens with the whole first set of levels being an overlong extended tutorial while Outcast opens with some of its best levels. Most of the annoying stuff of Academy (Guns feeling useless and irrelevant, non-saber enemies being a joke except for infuriating snipers, level design based around finding your way up to a ledge that is coincidentally 5 feet above your current force jump level) makes itself to Outcast in due time when you become a jedi. You never have to deal with Academy's annoying characters though.

I have a feeling they sadly listened to "this is a Star Wars game - fucking these guns, gimme lightsaber" crowd a bit too much when developing Academy. It was always weird to me when I heard how some people absolutely hated the first two missions when you don't have access to the Force or your lightsaber. Those were great and only contrast how OP you actually become once you have access to the latter two.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I cleared some of the games that I wanted before playing SaGa: Scarlet Grace. I'll give better impressions some other time, but in short:
-Best game in the series
-My GotY
-Best jrpg of the decade

If you like jrpgs and if you're a fan of the series, you should try this one out.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finished Hell Act IV of Diablo 2 with my seven characters.

The Amazon has reached lvl 67, while the others are lvl 66. She's also the most powerful character now, and along with the Necro the only one who laughs in the face (from a safe distance behind her Valkyrie) of Oblivion Knights. Had some more problems with Diablo himself than the other characters, though. Along with the Sorceress she's the only one that doesn't make me sweaty and nervous at the thought of facing The Ancients.
Funny thing is that according to the "experts" her bow
Goldstrike Arch
Gothic Bow

2H Damage: (30-35) to (150-175)
Attack Speed: [10]
Minimum Strength: 95
Minimum Dexterity: 118
Level Requirement: 46

+200-250% Enhanced Damage (varies)
+100-200% Damage to Demons (varies)
+100-200% Damage to Undead (varies)
50% Increased Attack Speed
5% Chance to Cast Level 7 Fist of the Heavens on Striking
Replenish Life +12
100-150% Bonus to Attack Rating (varies)
is too weak for Hell difficulty.

My Barbarian is also doing very well, and the Assassin is surprisingly powerful even without using any traps. She's so badass it's a pity I didn't call her Lilura.
Druid and Paladin are starting to struggle, not having found better weapons since late Normal/early Nightmare (Ginther's Rift and Aldur's Rhythm). I've found some nice two handed weapons, but no shield is virtually suicide for melee characters, unless they get blocking from skills (Amazon and Assassin).

DeepOcean

Arcane
I have a feeling they sadly listened to "this is a Star Wars game - fucking these guns, gimme lightsaber" crowd a bit too much when developing Academy. It was always weird to me when I heard how some people absolutely hated the first two missions when you don't have access to the Force or your lightsaber. Those were great and only contrast how OP you actually become once you have access to the latter two.
Not only that but the better part of the game is when you interact with Kyle and don't interact with the main missions what only makes you wish you were playing as him, their whole "your fellow highschool bully, dumb as a doormat, jedi student becomes sith lord" was a... eh...interesting... choice, being very generous.

Ivan

Arcane
Project Warlock :4/5:
Warlock features fantastic artwork, a bitching soundtrack, and great sound design. Its levels are extremely short, but they do grow in ambition as you progress through the game's five chapters. The ramping difficulty definitely rubbed me the right way and improved my overall feelings toward the game. Definitely give it a shot. I very much look forward to whatever project they have baking in the oven.
F191B3E879EA1B0233157B4E469750B3F956CF81

20AE9FF207F4EBCC6EC3CAA35E035786C4ECD7DE

8F0197C87AB9245F25DA97E701CB3BE92CBDC692

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Facing Shenk the Overseer (apparantly an uber unique with extra good chance of good drops) in Diablo 2 with my Amazon, I had him down to a tiny sliver so that my merc with 170% extra Magic Find could finish him off, when I accidentally finished him off myself. While I was cursing my clumsiness, my character said mockingly "Did I do that?". :argh:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Facing Shenk the Overseer (apparantly an uber unique with extra good chance of good drops) in Diablo 2 with my Amazon, I had him down to a tiny sliver so that my merc with 170% extra Magic Find could finish him off, when I accidentally finished him off myself. While I was cursing my clumsiness, my character said mockingly "Did I do that?". :argh:

Not only that but the better part of the game is when you interact with Kyle and don't interact with the main missions what only makes you wish you were playing as him, their whole "your fellow highschool bully, dumb as a doormat, jedi student becomes sith lord" was a... eh...interesting... choice, being very generous.

It's notable that JK1 was pre-The Phantom Menace, JK2 was post-TPM, while JA was post-Attack of the Clones. In a way the games just followed the progression of Jedi in the movies, from "saber used sparingly, Jedi infiltrate shit" to "Jedi are super-soldiers fighting in straight up battles against huge armies of blaster-wielding foes".

I imagine the whole focus around a player-created character and the whole jedi school thing was some kind of attempt to appeal to young kids. Which sounds silly to me, at that age groups kids want to play with things that are more adult.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Playing Vampyr and I am enjoying it very much so far. Vampires are one of my favorite themes, particularly mingling with and manipulating humans. The hard difficulty isn't a joke, it throws a werewolf at you in the second chapter already and I had to go back and level up a bit, going to give it a second go now.

You can tell it was made by the Life is Strange devs though, a few hours in and I've already met the black ambulance driver and the nurse who burns the coal as well as the two war buddies who survived being buried alive which apparently made them gay for each other. And the MC is depicted as very understanding. Luckily, any minor or major story character can eventually be drained and killed for lots of experience which in turn will cause the district to become less safe. I was planning on draining in moderation.

Overall I enjoy the theme and atmosphere and the MC is likeable as well, the cordial nature of most conversations in particular is a joy to follow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom