Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Thunar

Educated
So, after having a blast with the game for a few hours, I finally bought it, effectively went from version 1.something to 3.0, so my saves are now gone.
I decided to start in the sanctuary, been playing for a while before I found the Lethe harp and equipped my sage with it again. Am I doing something wrong or has it been nerfed now? Every single enemy, even small rats, saves against paralysis.
Also, the hell does Meditation practically do? Improve crit chance?

Last edited:

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm thinking or restarting in V3 since I'm unsure whether continuing my saves will lead to problems in the long run, but I have a few questions regarding multiclassing.
First, how do the Race/Class multipliers work when multiclassing? From searching here and on the wiki I assume to gain bonus Resistances you have to start out with a multiplier? But then you will lose our on the multiplier for stats and skills as soon as you multiclass. So would it be more beneficial to have the "multiplier class" as your goal class? That way you benefit from the multiplier in the class you actually want to level, not just 4-8 levels and than forfeit it. Or am I missing something?

Also I see lots of builds with 10-12 class changes. Is this actually viable/necessary now? I remember in the release version I killed Hobknob and cleared all areas until Samhain I think and my party was still level 4-6 iirc. So this sounds like an enormous amount of grinding or have the XP tables changed dramatically? I seem to remember that you could barely reach level 20 even without class changes.

And lastly is it still viable to forgo multiclassing? Or maybe just do it for 3 chars to get a Jester/Templar/Pirate each (since Assassin sounds kinda weak with the unarmed stuff). I'm not the greatest fan of multiclassing in most games since it tends to be a bit to grindy/gamey for my taste and I prefer pure classes or sensible progressions (eg Warrior/Cleric->Lord/Templar). For example will I gimp my Wizard if he stays in his profession the whole game or should I switch, as soon as I have the spells I want, to another Caster (for different spells) or even a melee class (for better attributes/new skills)?

Sorry for the boatload of questions but multiclassing in Grimoire still seems kinda confusing even with the manual. In the mean time I go back to the seasonally appropriate winter wonderland of Icewind Dale.

Dorateen

Arcane
Also I see lots of builds with 10-12 class changes. Is this actually viable/necessary now? I remember in the release version I killed Hobknob and cleared all areas until Samhain I think and my party was still level 4-6 iirc. So this sounds like an enormous amount of grinding or have the XP tables changed dramatically? I seem to remember that you could barely reach level 20 even without class changes.

The most I had a character multiclass was four times. In other cases, three and two. I found the biggest incentive to change profession is because indeed the experience requirements get very large beyond 7th or 8th level, so a switch keeps your characters viable for advancing. They will continue to accumulate hitpoints and magic points, which is probably the most important reason to do it.

I would not say you should skip changing classes all together, but plan for characters to upgrade into different professions at least a couple of times.

Also, Version 2 introduced a new feature that you can exchange gold for experience through the Patron agent. This helps achieving those higher levels.

Last edited:

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
How viable is it to playthrough solo class on all characters? I'm going to keep with my V2 save for this playthrough, and my characters are already all level 10 and have stats poor for multiclassing since I didn't plan for stat requirements and learned about them too late.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
First, how do the Race/Class multipliers work when multiclassing? From searching here and on the wiki I assume to gain bonus Resistances you have to start out with a multiplier? But then you will lose our on the multiplier for stats and skills as soon as you multiclass. So would it be more beneficial to have the "multiplier class" as your goal class? That way you benefit from the multiplier in the class you actually want to level, not just 4-8 levels and than forfeit it. Or am I missing something?

I seem to remember that the initial multiplier for stats and skills stays the same even after class changes - though I am not sure who found that. It was probably one of those experiments that Haba (?) did.

It is not necessary to multiclass at all, but it is helpful. I had 6 NPC's in my party and NPC's cannot multiclass at all - though they did have the advantage of impressive stats to begin with. Also, as Dorateen said, the initial 5-6 levels have very low XP requirements. So that if you change class at Level 6-8, you can do a lot of multiclassing without even grinding.

And lastly is it still viable to forgo multiclassing? Or maybe just do it for 3 chars to get a Jester/Templar/Pirate each (since Assassin sounds kinda weak with the unarmed stuff).

You can have an Assassin right from the beginning now with a Naga, Rhattu, etc. And unarmed is not weak at all actually. There are also weapons ("gloves") for more unarmed damage throughout the game. Also keep in mind that getting the Jester is almost impossible and the easiest way is with a Barrower who does at least 10 class changes. Or simply recruit Chukles.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thanks for the replies. Now to re-roll chars for two days to get the required bonus points.

Multiclassing isn't necessary to get through the game, true - but very useful for all the hit- and spellpoints. And how much fun it is! And the glorious moment when you get your first Jester... I still plan to build up a complete gang of Jesters in my next playthrough. Think of the lasting impression six heavily armed hysterically laughing and constantly grinning weirdos will make on the poor population!

Thunar

Educated
So, I just crossed the chasm to Samhain like a big boy, though, when I arrive on the other side and take the stairs downwards, there's a locked gate at the end of the corridor. Tried to use all my critical items on it to no avail. I checked a couple of walkthroughs and none of them seem to mention there being a gate there, or a lever that I didn't pull.
I did the symbol puzzle, switched levers in the pitch black area, explored underneath the toilets, etc.
Deepsink project and samhain gorge's map are both at 100%, the ukluk mining company is at 88 and also has a locked gate that I can't pass, with a sign next to it that I can't read for some reason.
Can anyone help?

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
So, I just crossed the chasm to Samhain like a big boy, though, when I arrive on the other side and take the stairs downwards, there's a locked gate at the end of the corridor. Tried to use all my critical items on it to no avail. I checked a couple of walkthroughs and none of them seem to mention there being a gate there, or a lever that I didn't pull.
I did the symbol puzzle, switched levers in the pitch black area, explored underneath the toilets, etc.
Deepsink project and samhain gorge's map are both at 100%, the ukluk mining company is at 88 and also has a locked gate that I can't pass, with a sign next to it that I can't read for some reason.
Can anyone help?
Have you visited Aquavia?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Can anyone help?

You need to talk to Smithy, as well as finish that corner in Ukluk.

Brozef

Savant
Patron
Holy shit the xp rebalancing is awesome! Almost everyone in my party (except the fairy assassin) is already level 4 and I've only done Briarwoods and Crowl. Though starting without a Bard and the OP flute makes it feel earned. Damn Firebeetles :argh:

Also did lethal get nerved? Was it removed from swords? I haven't seen it procced yet and I have plenty of ppl with it at level 20-30. That it were it started to take off with my previous party. After checking around I found that none of the swords i found or could buy from Smithers has lethal. I'm pretty sure that they had it in the old version and I think even the Metalsmith could procc it with the starting hammer, but maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.
Finally, how do bonus attacks work? My fairy seems to get them every other round even though she only has the starting dagger. Do you get more by dual wielding? Or is it dependent on AGI or the class? Kinda makes me reconsider my plan to turn her into a Necro...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Though starting without a Bard and the OP flute makes it feel earned.

The Bard and the music instruments have been nerfed anyway.

Finally, how do bonus attacks work? My fairy seems to get them every other round even though she only has the starting dagger. Do you get more by dual wielding? Or is it dependent on AGI or the class?

It is partly about SPEED and partly about the Level I think. Some skills might have an influence too on how many bonus attacks you get per round.

Thunar

Educated
For all the time the game's been hyping up the Samhain underworld, I thought I was going to face lovecraftian horrors. Unfortunately, apart from one big snake and a couple of mummies that weren't much more difficult than anything else, I didn't really notice anything so crazy that those miners would flee away.
The boss will probably be kind of alright, until I paralyze him, but I'm really hoping for a difficulty peak here... Tried the difficulty settings and the game's still pathetically easy. I love the exploration though, so I'll keep going, but that's quite unfortunate. The only hint of difficulty comes from the crazy dwarves that spam armor rot and some of the worms that spit rust magic.
Hope the game picks up and beats my ass again like it did with those fire beetles. I guess it's my fault for taking the fairy, but she's just so useful to cast detect secret all the time that I couldn't resist.
I might try to have her only use a staff or something, but that'd just make those piss easy fights take longer, it's not like my fighters and necromancer don't hit ridiculously high already.

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
they made a blobber bundle but grimoire isnt in it.. :negative:

With the exception of the venerable The Quest, these look like Grimrock mods. To be seen in their company would be shameful.

The Quest is pretty good, great graphics and easy mechanics. This would have been a mediocre game if that's all there was but the turn based combat is excellent too. I hope Grimoire II looks half as good as this.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
For all the time the game's been hyping up the Samhain underworld, I thought I was going to face lovecraftian horrors.

I had the same reaction - after building Samhain up, the actual place is somewhat underwhelming. It kind of makes sense, because this is still the beginning of the game and cannot be too hard, but still. There are instakilling dragonflies soon after Samhain, which are more of a threat than anything in it (except for the final boss).

There is probably not much that Cleve could do now to increase the lovecraftian horror factor of Samhain. One possibility is to change the colors of some enemies into darker hues or maybe even inverted colors and making these much more dangerous, eg. lovecraftian version of the mad miners or an evil version of the plants from early in the game.

Strange how experiences differ: Samhain stayed in my own memory as a place of great evil, the name alone lets me imagine again the endless halls and dark corners, the unholy depths and sinister caverns of this cursed city and its lurking madness. I wasn't expecting something thoroughly lovecraftian however so I wasn't disappointed - on the contrary: The atrocious beast at the end was horrifying for me, its lair was a place of terror and I still hear the unnatural and blasphemous sounds it emitted. While I really admire good old H.P. I'm glad Samhain wasn't just copying/pasting from the master. This way it's a respectful nod towards the venerable Rhode Islander and I'm fine with that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Strange how experiences differ: Samhain stayed in my own memory as a place of great evil, the name alone lets me imagine again the endless halls and dark corners, the unholy depths and sinister caverns of this cursed city and its lurking madness. I wasn't expecting something thoroughly lovecraftian however so I wasn't disappointed - on the contrary: The atrocious beast at the end was horrifying for me, its lair was a place of terror and I still hear the unnatural and blasphemous sounds it emitted. While I really admire good old H.P. I'm glad Samhain wasn't just copying/pasting from the master. This way it's a respectful nod towards the venerable Rhode Islander and I'm fine with that.

I don't mean that it should be literally lovecraftian, just that the build up and hype are not in proportion to what you actually encounter there. Maybe having a difficult fight with waves of attackers shortly after entering Samhain would be a good idea too.

I don't mean that it should be literally lovecraftian, just that the build up and hype are not in proportion to what you actually encounter there. Maybe having a difficult fight with waves of attackers shortly after entering Samhain would be a good idea too.

I understand. For me the desolation of the whole place and the impression of loneliness and desperation was the horrifying part of it. The deeper I got it felt like a giant subterranean necropolis.

paperjack

Literate
Has anyone found the Right Eye of Samsara?
I can't seem to find it, and I need it to go further.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom