Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Machocruz

Arcane
Just finished Dying Light. God what a shit last mission. Running away from mosnters and climbing shit forever and a non-boss fight. Otherwise one of the best AAA games I've played since the Age of Decline began, and a funner open world game than most of the ones people suck off these days. Did most of the sidequests but still a lot of extra content in the game. Techland really supported this game nicely.

Adon

Arcane
Been playing Witcher 1 for the first time.

It's pretty okay, and serviceable. It's any wonder this series took off if I'm being honest. I like a lot of concepts for both the gameplay and narrative, but the execution isn't there to elevate the rest of the game.

For the story, take Chapter 1 for example. I don't know if I missed anything here, but it seems a fairly straightforward goal of solving quests, and figuring out information about Salamandra while doing them as you try to find Javed. At the end of it, Abigail mentions all these twists and turns about how the people you've been working for the entire time are all rotten to the core, and have done evil deeds that caused them to unintentionally conjure up the beast. I love the idea behind that if there were a bit more foreshadowing around this concept. Instead of having clues here and there (the most you get is maybe a small scene with Odo's dog), it's just a bit of a twist that turns the narrative on its head instead of a proper build-up leading into a crescendo.

Similarly, Chapter 2 starts out by giving you a list of suspects that might be working for Salamandra, and you even work alongside a detective. That's great, but the structure for that plot thread isn't there. You just casually cross off suspects as you do quests, or Geralt will extrapolate some loose "connection", confront the suspect, and then essentially give up, mentioning that he'll drop it for now until new evidence comes to light. Again, much like Ch. 1, it's a great idea that doesn't get fleshed out. On the other hand, Chapter 3 felt more straightforward of a crossroads which, after the last chapter, was a nice change of pace.

What can I really say about the combat? It's there, it's serviceable to a degree. Game gives you 3 fighting styles, 1 of which is completely useless (or I've never felt the need to use the group style), and to pad things out, there's 2 different skill sets you can upgrade for these 3 fighting styles -- one for the silver sword and another for the steel sword. Potions are a nice idea, and I like that not all of them are combat related, the toxicity mechanic rarely ever comes into play, but I like the idea behind it. Side quests are generally okay; my biggest gripe is the need to go out of my way to get books in order to be able to pick up certain herbs or get certain items (i.e. a drowner's brain) from dead monsters.

To be honest tho, one of the best parts of the game is getting these.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Played Dear Esther. Took me about an hour to beat.

I'm almost done with Shadow Tactics, I think. It's been a lot of fun and intense. Lots of swearing during sessions, but once you come up with a tactic that works, you feel a rush of joy.

Puukko

Arcane

I'm almost done with Shadow Tactics, I think. It's been a lot of fun and intense. Lots of swearing during sessions, but once you come up with a tactic that works, you feel a rush of joy.
Whatever caused you to pick up Dear Esther? Isn't just a literal walking sim with the narrative spoken to you?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Whatever caused you to pick up Dear Esther? Isn't just a literal walking sim with the narrative spoken to you?
I'm going through the Humble Trove (Humble Choice subscriber) and I knew it was a short walking simulator. I thought that I'd give it a shot. I neither loved it, nor hated it.

overly excitable young man

Knights of the Chalice.
Brilliant game. Combat is king and the game feels extremely polished.
It plays very fast and just downright lacks annoying things.

Really like that you have to search your campfires.
Combined with ambushes this reduces the rest spamming.
Only thing missing is the extended reach with longer weapons as featured in TOEE.
Guess you can't have everything. :(

But from pure playing comfort it's one of the best games i've ever played.

Dramart

Learned
Baldur's gate II, the classic version. I'm at chapter four, and finally things get interesting. I'm playing it for the first time. So far it's really good and better than Pillars of Eter. I haven't played the first one, but I played and finished the two Icewind Dale games. It has more story and dialogues compared to IWD and there is also companions with backgrounds and personality, because of these things it feels like being in a fantasy world, and not just playing a game like in IWD.

I made almost every quests available in chapter two. My current party is Minsc, Jaheira, Nalia, Yoshimo, and Viconia. I like Anomen more than Jaheira, but this fourth chapter is about rescuing Imoen so I think it's better if Jaheira is in the party. :)

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm preparing for a "How do you do, fellow Japanese People!" gaming trip.

Stanley-Samurai.jpg

- Septerra Core (I've just installed GOG version)
- Shogo (Played that one. Not sure if I finished it.)
- ONI (Never played it. I'll have to wait for it to appear on GOG)

Any more examples of serious studios pretending to be japs?

It's on GOG and Steam, never played it

sudeki-cover.jpg

Citizen

Turok. Mind you, I LOVE FPP platformers, so I might be biased here, but level design in the game is fucking amazing. Tricky multi-level mazes, creative environment puzzles, risky long-range jumps, and TONS OF SECRET PLACES!!!! Holy shit! I'm halfway through and having a blast.

Overall the game feels like a love child of quake and 3d Rayman games, with platforming sections cleverly weaved into a fast paced FPS gameplay. There were some disgustingly evil platforming puzzles tho. Imagine a row of equidistant absolutely identical columns across a canyon you have to cross. You jump them and gun some enemies around, BUT! The distance between two last columns is just a bit longer than the rest, so your muscle memory fails you and you fall down :argh: I died two times in that place

Last edited by a moderator:

newtmonkey

Arcane
King's Quest V
I enjoyed playing through Loom and Secret of Monkey Island in 2018, and wondered if maybe I had missed out on an entire genre of awesome games as I'd never really got into point-and-click adventures before, so I decided I'd play this nostalgic classic from my childhood (note: nostalgia based solely on reading coverage of the game in magazines at the time).

It starts out promising with some freedom to explore and the first few "puzzles" are kinda random but make some sense. An hour in, after mapping and exploring the desert, I had no idea what to do next. I slept on it, played some other games, went back to KQ5 and explored everything all over again to see if I might have missed something, but was completely stuck.

I really wanted to avoid walkthroughs, because if you spoil the puzzles what is even the point of playing a PNC adventure? Sometimes, though, spoiling a single puzzle can teach you what you should be looking out for. So I scanned a walkthrough and...
apparently that one time a rat seemingly randomly ran across the screen being chased by a cat at the very start of the game, I was supposed to throw a boot (which I didn't even have yet; I got that later while mapping out the desert) at the cat so that the rat would save me later on in the game. The encounter is a one-off event, so I was locked in a dead end. This seems completely unfair and ridiculous... (1) unless you have the game speed turned way down, the encounter lasts all of two seconds and if the game didn't pop up a text box telling me what was happening, I would have had no idea what I was looking at, (2) no one is going to explore the desert before they explore the town area, so you won't have the item you need when the event happens, (3) even if you did have the boot and somehow knew that you could use it to save the rat, why would you think to do so? They could have made this far fairer by having the event reoccur until you resolve it, because after seeing it a few times you'd realize that you need to do something!

I am not 100% against dead ends, when it's something like not picking up something early on that you need later. You can get around this somewhat by saving often and giving descriptive names to your save games, so that you can load an old game, collect the item, and then retrace your steps. However, I can't imagine anyone ever clearing KQ5 without hints, and at that point are you even playing a game anymore?

Au Ellai

Educated
The Sierra adventure games had a lot of bullshit like that. They always ended up as "click all the items on all the pixels on all the screens" and just hope something happened to put your score up. Lucas arts was so far ahead of the competition it's insane.

I finally got around to playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker, and fuck it's awesome. I slept on it because the buggy release and wanted to give it some time to get patched up and get all the dlc out and such. I'm incredibly impressed by the game. It's the first RPG I've played that actually holds up to its lineage of Baldur's Gage, and is especially welcome after the shit-tier Pillars of Eternity trying to grab the "new Baldur's Gate" crown. Sucks Pillars ended up being the popular one because it's quality is a mere fraction of Kingmaker's.

I hated the Kingdom Management part at first. Straight-up shut the game down and didn't play it for a week because of how much I hated it initially, and figured since the rest of the game would be like that that I already played the good stuff in Chapter 1, but read up on it a bit and went back to it and am actually kinda enjoying that aspect of it as well. Typically I hate timers in games, I just like going my own pace, but somehow Kingmaker makes the timers work in its favor. Just enough pressure to make you do a bit of prioritization on where you travel and when (as opposed to just lawn-mowering the whole map), but enough time to never feel stressed that you won't be able to do everything you want.

I still have the unpopular viewpoint of hating the Pathfinder / 3.5 rule-set with a burning passion, but they worked it into the game well enough that I'm not too bothered by it (it's not like the weird 2nd edition spliced with bits of 3rd did Baldur's Gate any favors anyways and that's still a near-perfect game).

Game seems massive too. I barely got to Chapter 3 and I've already dropped dozens of hours into the game. I tend to play games really slow so I'm looking forward to the fact I've barely uncovered 1/3 of the map.

Moonrise

The Magnificent
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I've been playing with Bard's Tale Construction Set. I'm surprised not much has been done with it, because compared to FRUA it's far less restrictive. Chalk it up to brand, I guess. So for example, there's no limit on the number of maps. Granted, too many would stretch the monster variety thin--but that's not the point! Items and spells are completely editable. The event editor features primitive scripting, allowing for all kinds of shenanigans. You could even code little mini-games. It's kind of amazing. What's even better, the lessons I learned modding/hacking TES Arena apply to BTCS. I've already been able to overcome some of the supposed engine limitations. The sample game included is absolutely terrible, but I'm convinced a dedicated person could make this goose drop a golden egg.

I never really got into adventure games much, but I remember playing Space Quest 1 (because my grandparents had a computer over a decade old with like 5 games that we'd play when we were over there). It was not really that bullshit at all. Did the adventure game genre just get progressively worse over time? Some kind of "we need to make each game more hardcore than the previous"? Or some attempt to get more money out of people by forcing them to pay for the hint books?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
X-Com: Apocalypse
It's the same as the previous games, yet it is not. Playing in one city feels weird but not bad. I guess the biggest difference for me is that I can't blow everything up. Gotta be careful to not piss off different factions. I've got 12 fighters and they have survived the first three missions.

Geneforge
I've never beaten this, or even gotten very far. I'm playing the guardian class. Reached the first village, and it's been fun. I'm not used to games not having music, but it does have nice ambient sounds. It's a shame that Vogel have gone from this to Quuen's Wish. I'm not sure which faction to side with yet. I'm thinking the awakened. We'll see.

SaGa: Scarlet Grace
I've been progressing slowly. Completed one part in Balmaint's story. I also went back to some previous battles that I couldn't beat. They netted me some nice items and a new mage ally. The game is great. Ugly, but great. Combat feels really tactical, and what actions you take can greatly influence the outcome. Status effects are super important, and you don't always want to finish off all the weaker enemies first. Getting off unity attacks feels great, once you find a way to manipulate the turn order and defeat the right enemy at the right moment. The BP system is interesting. I was unsure at first. Your whole active party share a BP pool. You can decide if you want to have all your characters use weaker attacks or a few characters using stronger attacks. I'm probably not explaining well, but all these systems create a more intricate battle system. You wouldn't think that, because combat seems deceptively simple at first.
Exploration has been fun. There's a world map that you explore. It gives me a board game feeling. There are no cities or dungeons to explore, they are simply menu based. It sounds bad, but works pretty well.
The game is all about combat and exploration, and the game nails both parts, imo.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's the same as the previous games, yet it is not. Playing in one city feels weird but not bad. I guess the biggest difference for me is that I can't blow everything up. Gotta be careful to not piss off different factions. I've got 12 fighters and they have survived the first three missions.

Are you playing turn-based or real time? This might sound heretical but I always found real time the more fun experience in Apocalypse.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

Are you playing turn-based or real time? This might sound heretical but I always found real time the more fun experience in Apocalypse.
I was thinking that I might go real-time just to try it out, but I'm a turn-based lover at heart. And I started the game because I wanted to play a TB game. I can see why people would enjoy real-time, though.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, me too, But there is just something with the real-time system in Apocalypse. Battles usually turns into chaos & death, aliens and humans alike getting vaporized and buildings collapsing to the sheer amount of bullets and fire. It's kinda hilarious to watch the spectacle :)

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Still playing Black Mesa. Loved the pre-Xen chapters but the Xen portions, while beautiful, are tedious as fuck. One of the most difficult decisions professional game developers face is exactly how long a game should be. Most get it right, but the modders of Black Mesa are not professional game developers, and it shows. These guys do TEN+ separate incidents of the same "power cable" puzzle that pros would do a fraction of. I was playing Xen, thinking it nearly was over, when I hit an illogical puzzle that forced me to look up a YT walk-through to proceed. I was horrified to discover that I was only half-way through the goddamn thing. Also, even on Normal, difficulty can suddenly take a MASSIVE spike with variations of previously slow, lumbering enemies suddenly becoming fucking hit scan reaperbots. Fuck that shit. I may continue but will have to change my play style to accommodate. My tendency has always been to conserve my big weapons & ammo for boss fights but it looks like I'll have to bring out the big guns all the time. Black Mesa really is a nice looking game however and it's a stunning accomplishment overall but Xen is a dull, repetitive slog. I mean, how many of those octobrain midgets are we gonna have to kill by the end?

Humppaleka

Cipher
Been playing Witcher 1 for the first time.

It's pretty okay, and serviceable. It's any wonder this series took off if I'm being honest. I like a lot of concepts for both the gameplay and narrative, but the execution isn't there to elevate the rest of the game.

For the story, take Chapter 1 for example. I don't know if I missed anything here, but it seems a fairly straightforward goal of solving quests, and figuring out information about Salamandra while doing them as you try to find Javed. At the end of it, Abigail mentions all these twists and turns about how the people you've been working for the entire time are all rotten to the core, and have done evil deeds that caused them to unintentionally conjure up the beast. I love the idea behind that if there were a bit more foreshadowing around this concept. Instead of having clues here and there (the most you get is maybe a small scene with Odo's dog), it's just a bit of a twist that turns the narrative on its head instead of a proper build-up leading into a crescendo
Replaying this for about the fifth time or something after a hiatus of maybe three years. I somewhat disagree. You can spot evidence for all of these things before the end of C1. They do come all at once though, and the witch is slightly suspicious although the lesser evil.
Ilsa killed herself with poison, mentions of her violation, Mikul being a bitch. Odo's dog barking at his brother's grave, him being a lousy drunk (this is the biggest leap though before the reveals at the end). Haren dealing with all sides. Reverend being obviously a bastard. When the Beast is bit by bit revealed to have come from the wickedness of men, all the parts start falling to their places. But that's just my two cents.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dead ends
Thanks for reminding me why I quit playing Adventure games those decades ago.
I like adventure games, but even the best adventure in the world will have me doubting whether it's worth it if I see that it includes unannounced dead ends like these. I hate them. Just give us a game over screen, for crying out loud. Of course, if they did that, the bullshit would be exposed for what it is, and the games would not have been made that way in the first place. At least that's what I like to think.

"A rat ran across your screen uninterrupted. Your adventure is doomed." No game designer could type that out and think everything is fine.

Viata

Arcane
It could be worse, mate. Like you are playing Gabriel Knight 3 and Gabriel needs to disguise himself as a man to rent a motorcycle. Now the stupidest thing is that you need to create a fake moustache(the way you get it is so dumb) and the man you are disguising yourself as doesn't even have a moustache. That was the most stupid shit I have ever seen in an adventure game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One of my "fondest" memories was a rather obscure game which name I can't remember (may have been something similar to Azaroth). On one of the first screens you can go in several directions. Go East resulted in "you fall down a cliff. You die". At least it was a qucik death...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of my "fondest" memories was a rather obscure game which name I can't remember (may have been something similar to Azaroth). On one of the first screens you can go in several directions. Go East resulted in "you fall down a cliff. You die". At least it was a qucik death...
That did happen in A tale of two kingdoms

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom