Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition

Beggar

Cipher
Can't wait to play Pathfinder: Kingmaker 2 with my xbox 360 controller :positive:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yeah, yeah, but what about Temple of Elemental Evil 2, or even Tomb of Horrors game. Where are the true classics, jeez.

If that fails, then Rappan Athuk...

catfood

AGAIN
If that fails, then Rappan Athuk...

il_794xN.1942912520_44ky.jpg

retinoid

Savant
I need a no-bullshit assessment of this. On a scale of Fallout 4 to Gothic 2, where does this lie in the grand scheme of things?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I need a no-bullshit assessment of this. On a scale of Fallout 4 to Gothic 2, where does this lie in the grand scheme of things?
You have to be either extremely tolerant or extremely forgiving of bullshit. I suppose if you neglect or ignore the cringe-y writing, random items, the absolutely mind-numbing armor system, the normie influence and however many other small and not so small issues this game has, it can be entertaining. I'd search for appropriate mods to make some of these issues go away. As with many (all) AA games that came out in the last 5 or so years, your enjoyment is always dependent on compromises.

retinoid

Savant
You have to be either extremely tolerant or extremely forgiving of bullshit. I suppose if you neglect or ignore the cringe-y writing, random items, the absolutely mind-numbing armor system, the normie influence and however many other small and not so small issues this game has, it can be entertaining. I'd search for appropriate mods to make some of these issues go away. As with many (all) AA games that came out in the last 5 or so years, your enjoyment is always dependent on compromises.
I quite liked Dragon Age: Origins and a lot of these issues are present in that game too, so I could probably overlook some of them if the core game has enough to draw me in. My biggest worry from what I've seen so far is the reddit-tier writing, but I literally just finished playing Borderlands 3 so I think my brain has some tolerance towards it at present. I don't mind modding to fix stupid issues but shit like Bethesda game modding prerequisites to make a game playable are a big no from me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
DA:O doesn't have random items and weird armor system like this game does, though. It has tiered items, which was decline, but it's not the same. If you don't have or don't want to download this behemoth of a game, just watch a gameplay video on YouTube maybe?

Murk

Arcane

Worse than Original Sin 1 in terms of systems but better in terms of "more toys to play with (spells/skills)" and much better QOL/UI/Performance.

If Gothic 2 is a 10/10 and Fallout 4 is a 0/10, then this is a legitimate (non-IGN) 6~7/10 depending on your preferences.

I had a blast with the game, and while the armor system is whack, it's not so bad that it ruins the experience for me. You can also get some mods to work around it a bit. Also, playing undead is enjoyable and changes the gameplay enough that you can do some fun things with poison.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The first 2 maps are okay everything beyond that is average at best which luckily doesn't matter since no one actually finishes RPGs anyway.

cruel

Cipher

It's much closer to Gothic 2 compared to F4, in terms of overall quality. I had fun for more than 200h, even with the crappy armor system the game uses. Surprisingly, it annoyed me much less after initial 10h or so. I would say even 8/10, assuming F4 is 0 and G2 is 10.

What I like the most, I think, is that you get this rare feeling while playing this, that somebody really put their love and soul into making this game. It's the opposite of 'let's put up something quick, short and lazy and earn our dollars'. I still remember the music that was playing when you arrive at Reaper's Coast, the fight at Blackpits or the one at the end of Fane's questline, and other things. Not everything is perfect of course (armor system, initiative system, random itemization, bland NPCs), but it's still much better that most of the games we are getting nowadays.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's a decent-to-good game, a little worse than DOS1. It's going to give you many familiar gameplay loops and satisfaction from a proper chunky RPG, blowing up the battlefield into elemental death zones is fun.

Ultimately the brain damaged 6 year old writing, the limitations of armour/initiative, the MMO loot, the lack of build variety, is going to show up the limits of the combat system long before the extensive offering of content.

So I tried playing this, and I cannot do it. Got to Fort Joy and it is sapping my will to play it. Why, you ask?

1. Writing/world - I thought people said this was better written than D:OS1. It's really not. It's exactly the same. Starting from the cheesy intro movie of the old bag exlaining her evul plans to the childrenz (whyyyy???), to me walking on the beach near Fort Joy with the following group: My serious Knight character, followed by a lizardman, a talking squirrel riding an undead cat skeleton, and a talking black cat. The last two I didn't even recruit, they just follow me around, and since I didn't pick Pet Pal talent, I can't tell them to fuck off. I bet they are just waiting for me to get it too, so they can pour out all their fucking squirrel/cat problems to me.

And what's up with the weird third person dialogue?
1. Tell them they should do A.
2. Suggest they are not as ugly as they look.

Why the fuck do they need to add descriptions of what you are obviously gonna do anyway?

And just the general retardation of sourcery (with a u) as the main theme. As soon as I saw the scene with Alexander and the Hammer killing that priest in front of the gates, I just fell asleep. It's like they are presenting a play for 3 year olds about good and evil.

2. Camera retardation. Do we really need camera rotation in isometric games in 2015+? It's like we are back to early 2000s, when devs first got ahold of fancy 3D engines, and introduced pointless counter-productive features like camera rotation. Cause there's no fun like fighting the camera for most of the game. And D:OS2 is designed to rotate the camera all the time, every 2 steps you run into some shit that makes it impossible to see anything withotu rotating.

3. Silly skills - I get my first 2-handed sword, which gives an ability All-In, which does 125% damage for 150% ap cost. You get the idea? Yes, this ability will never be used. Then there is Crippling Blow, which sounds like a situational tactical move, but it does 115% damage for 100% ap cost, so yes, it will ALWAYS be used. Is this stuff really so hard to calculate? Flurry also sounds retarded, though I haven't gotten that far, since it's like 5 blows of 50% damage for 200% ap cost. So barely any boost for a high level ability.

Fire is supposed to be the damage school, geo the support/setup school. Highest level geo spell does way more damage than highest level fire spell. None of this makes any sense.

Anyways, losing any will to play this. Mostly the writing though, just so cringy. Good luck to those of you who still have hopes for BG3.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Gift Bag 4 https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/1701732919202709415

Gift Bag 4: Sourceror Secrets

7e018c0a696d607add7e818fac2cd0016b3c1f66.jpg

Hey Everyone,

Today we have released our latest Gift Bag: Sourceror Secrets. This new content has been added to your game absolutely free and is filled with new features - including the ability to use your bedroll to restore Source Points and the inclusion of new talents to pick from when you create or respec your character.

The contents of each Gift Bag are accessible via the in-game menu where you can independently enable or disable each individual feature. And all of these new features are compatible with all prior Gift Bags (Beauty Salon, Song Of Nature and Order & Magic.)

Gift Bag 4 includes:

From The Ashes
Party members automatically resurrect when using the bedroll out of combat.

Source Meditation
Source Points are restored when using the bedroll.

Divine Talents
Adds several new talents to pick from during Character Creation or Character Respec.

Spirit Vision
Spirit Vision lasts forever and has a larger range.

Please note that once enabled, these features will roll over to your saves on PC, or vice versa on Switch if you have cloud save transfers enabled.

Remember, if you want exclusive updates on all things Larian, Divinity and Baldur’s Gate 3, make sure you’re signed up to the Larian Gazette at the following link: eepurl.com/gs7nAb

Happy adventures,
The Larian Crew

In addition to the Gift Bag content there are a number of updates and fixes in the update today, these cover:

Updates:

- Added Czech language
- Improved usability on the Larian Modifications menu

Bug FIxes:

-Fixed Achievements being locked in a new Campaign game having started a separate Adventure with Larian Modifications turned on first
-Fixed Black Cat becoming hostile after the client uses the Black Cat Whistle in multiplayer
-Fixed several issues with having two black cats after escaping from Fort Joy and having Nine Lives modifier turned on
-Fixed Sir Lora being a ninja. He now has correct footstep sounds.
-Fixed some dialogue inconsistencies in Fort Joy with Song Of Nature Gift Bag
-Fixed small text and name issues
-Fixed macOS 10.15 specific compatibility issues

Murk

Arcane
Yeah, my friends who I played with had the GOG version and they had the gift bags.

This last one mostly looks like overt buffs tho. You can 'technically' cheese out most of the things for free, like with source fountains or the necromancy ability to resurrect for HP (then just use a bedroll), but this removes whatever barrier to the point of you may as well just have a full refresh at the end of each combat encounter.

I guess it's optional, not only in that you need to enable the mod but also use the bedroll, but eh.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. Writing/world

The contrast of dark and silly is there. But it's not black and white though. A little later at the game you will come to factions conflicts and lesser of evils decisions.

2. Camera retardation.

It's disorienting. But it's necessary for amount of verticality in this game.

3. Silly skills - I get my first 2-handed sword, which gives an ability All-In, which does 125% damage for 150% ap cost. You get the idea? Yes, this ability will never be used. Then there is Crippling Blow, which sounds like a situational tactical move, but it does 115% damage for 100% ap cost, so yes, it will ALWAYS be used. Is this stuff really so hard to calculate?

You are wrong. All-In is good for what it is: free (and instant cooldown) skill that allows you to do more damage when you hasted and got nothing more to do for that 1 AP. Crippling Blow is not free skill with a cooldown, and it usually saved for right tactical moments.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Ahh. Hi. Any advices for first time players? I just got this for my switch pc after trying the ilegal version on my crap pc switch , but played so crappy that dropped..

Oh also for a first playthought, is better to pick a origin or custom character? Or doesn't matter much ?

Silly Germans

Origin characters have a story attached to them, so if you are interested in the story pick one of them.
You can still learn about their story by tacking them along as npc but some decisions are made by them automatically
in this case. If you play one yourself you get to make the decisions yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom