Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I guess RPG is too damn generic of a term now. Storyfags, ARPG, TBRpg, whatever world building rpgs are, side scrolling metroidvania party based rpgs, blah blah. Fuck if i know how to vote. Waiting for VR rpgs.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
What a shitty year, I only played one, and barely qualifies as an RPG (Thea 2).
We all know you would have win if Colony Ship demo had been released last year. Sadly, for the reason we know, it isn't. Yep even with only a demo, it would have be the GOTY. No doubt this year GOTY will be more challenging.
As for me, I've only played Forged of Blood, which is not the best tactical RPG, so, my participation on this poll was more than easy.

Diggfinger

Arcane
SUPER EXCITED TO OPEN THE POLL!:happytrollboy:...only to realize I havent played a single one on hte list. Except Outer Worlds. WTF's CatQuest ...and Saga Romance, anyway:negative:
WEll, snice with some additional exposure for Disco, I guess :dealwithit:

This has to be the most boring year for a GOTY vote. We all know that Disco Communism wins.

YEAHH!!! Why is Grimoire V 3.0 missing from the list :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe come on man, add the P2. It will lose anyway.
That is the funny part. No one here is saying P2 would win, in fact, everyone knows DE is going to win.
I said already, is not about winning, I don't care about who is the GOTY. But adding such a high profile game after over a hundred people has voted would seriously distort the data, I would have to restart the polls.

I would do that if I had forgotten something like Slay the Spire or Styigian, but I won't do it to add a game that was never considered an RPG before just because people are butthurt.

Slay the Spire is actually a 2019 release!? What...? The game has been around for how many years now?
Came out of Early Access in Jan 2019. I also think it's weird, but there's no good way to handle Early Access releases... it would be unfair to include it in 2017, when it was a fraction of what it is today.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Slay the Spire is actually a 2019 release!? What...? The game has been around for how many years now?

Anyway, StS is good, so there's at least one serious option in the poll, but it's not going to win, sadly. I'm actually surprised at how few people played StS around here since we're not talking about a super hidden obscure game. StS sold several hundred thousands of copies.

Codex thread:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/slay-the-spire-is-a-pretty-cool-game.123316/

Fun fact: the game is getting a forth character as FREE DLC. And I can say from experience Watcher is tons of fun.

Yeah I played this in the last few weeks. That kind of shit will ruin a man's soul. I saw this guy on youtube, looked like some kind of accountant - by definition a man with no soul - rambling on about the games' mechanics, talking statistics and ELO scores, made me want to off myself. It was great, you know this guy had 2000 hours of the game flowing in his bloodstream, reaching some kind of level of mastery and intuitive genius that was beyond the realm of mortal men. Fucking terrifying, man. I keep dying at this game even on normal mode, after about 20h, I guess I just don't have enough shit shot up in my veins yet

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It takes a while to learn to control our hoarding tendencies. StS is unique in the sense that most "rewards" can actually screw you over if you take them with the "wrong" deck.

With time ofc you start learning that cards like immolate, footwork, shrug etc are above their peers in terms of value and some cards are simply bad, period (eviscerate). That's when you start winning more consistently.

Another lesson that vastly improves your gameplay is realizing that "archetypes" are awfully overrated and you need to make do with what you're given. Instead of doubling, tripling or quadrupling down on a particular thing like scaling or single target damage you need to think in terms of problems and solutions.

StS has stellar encounter design that ensures there is no be all end all deck. Everything can work and everything can fail, it all comes down to having the right tool for the job.

I will note, however, that high ascension is designed to appease the aforementioned no life streamers and it's not a fun experience. It forces you into adopting very specific and sometimes cheesy strategies. But I wholeheartedly recommend the game up until something like A10.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Also, 2000 hours is NOTHING when it comes to souless streamer faggots. That blue haired guy that sounds like big gay al "casually" dropped he played Path of Exile for 19k hours. That's 791 days of playing the same game. Nigga could've gotten multiple college degrees with that time investment, he could've reached his natty limit lifting weights, he could've started his own business, but no. Instead he played the same vidya game while on camera for an audience who mostly only wants to see him die in the game and rage.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

Anyway, StS is good, so there's at least one serious option in the poll, but it's not going to win, sadly. I'm actually surprised at how few people played StS around here since we're not talking about a super hidden obscure game. StS sold several hundred thousands of copies.

Codex thread:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/slay-the-spire-is-a-pretty-cool-game.123316/

Fun fact: the game is getting a forth character as FREE DLC. And I can say from experience Watcher is tons of fun.

Yeah I played this in the last few weeks. That kind of shit will ruin a man's soul. I saw this guy on youtube, looked like some kind of accountant - by definition a man with no soul - rambling on about the games' mechanics, talking statistics and ELO scores, made me want to off myself. It was great, you know this guy had 2000 hours of the game flowing in his bloodstream, reaching some kind of level of mastery and intuitive genius that was beyond the realm of mortal men. Fucking terrifying, man. I keep dying at this game even on normal mode, after about 20h, I guess I just don't have enough shit shot up in my veins yet

I played the game for several hours and thought that was enough. I don't know how anyone can drop 2,000 on it.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I said already, is not about winning, I don't care about who is the GOTY. But adding such a high profile game after over a hundred people has voted would seriously distort the data, I would have to restart the polls.

High profile game, wtf?
The only reason most people here and everywhere else even know Pathalogic is because Mandalore did a video on it. And even then the game isn't heard anywhere outside more "hardcore" circles.

Fucking DE on the other gained around 3 game awards.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Forgot Grimoire V3, for shame, Felipe. Your campaign of terror against CMB's magnum opus ends here and now.
Contrary to the meme, I don't hate Grimoire, I think the current version is one of the best blobbers ever made. But we should vote for what's new this year, not for the old game + some new stuff.

Besides, did we ever get a full changelog? How can people vote without even knowing what's new? The Steam page still shows it as "V2"...

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I'm just jostling your livestock, Felipe. However, not a big fan of the google poll. This allows non codexers to vote on OUR business. There really should be a poll that enforces you have a year+ account to avoid outsiders seeing our poll and trying to sway it for some sick whim.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Contrary to the meme, I don't hate Grimoire, I think the current version is one of the best blobbers ever made.
Re-review? It’s come a long way by all accounts.
Meh, I still stand by my review. I finished with:

"Properly balanced, documented and polished, Grimoire could be a gem that rivals Wizardry VII and its peers - a crown jewel of the blobber / DRPG / Dungeon-crawler genre."

Not willing to put in 80hs to find out how how many balance & polish changes where done, especially when I still remember most dungeons and secrets. Maybe in a decade or so.

There really should be a poll that enforces you have a year+ account to avoid outsiders seeing our poll and trying to sway it for some sick whim.
fantadomat does that every year. Besides, in 2015 we did a huge poll like that once, using a system coded by DU. The result was... basically the same as our normal polls. It was when Witcher 3 became one of our GOTY. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom