Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2019 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Fairfax

Arcane
Are you sure the Google voting does not offer the capability of filtering out multiple votes by the same IP or other excluding criteria (if it even counts them as multiple votes to begin with)?
Just because you can go somewhere and click buttons, doesn't mean it will actually have an effect.
It doesn't. You can set a limit of one response per Google account and/or ask for email addresses. The GOTY form does neither, so the only info it provides is each response's timestamp. As long as the troll doesn't make it too obvious (like voting the same way multiple times in a couple of minutes), nobody will know.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Previously you had CRPG devs coming into video games from PnP RPGs but now they come from anywhere but PnP RPGs.

And those writers with deegree in WOMAN SCIENCE or how that shit called lol.

The CRPG hemi-semi-demi-Renaissance began in 2012.

I think it's not the year of release, it's the year of stating game's development proccess...
So it actually in 2000s.

You can't decide an entire genre is healthy by praising one or two games a year, what's important to me is how healthy the industry as a whole is. The 2000s was a terrible oligopoly of a few giant companies crushing all smaller studios out of business and getting us stuck on the BioWare/Bethesda duo for over a decade. There were years like 2005 where we have 17 RPGs done IN TOTAL - including trash like Cops 2170 or Metalheart: Replicants.

Meanwhile 2019 was a slow year next to previous ones, but I can still put up a list of over 60 noteworthy releases and name 20 of them that got really positive ratings from over 800 voters. With styles from all tastes: blobbers, roguelikes, infinity engine clones, wuxia, Diablo-clones, story-heavy, action-RPGs, etc. This is only decline if you prefer going back to be Todd Howard and David Gaider's bitch.

I don't understand - do you mean that more PRGs released - more healthy is undustry?
Action-RPGs? Diablo-clones? They are not RPGs at all, the difference in PRGs and action-RPG is like between beam and beam-crane.

Even so, judging the state of a genre or an industry on your personal taste strikes me as a trifle hubristic.

What if my taste is almost perfect? :smug:

Prime Junta

What if my taste is almost perfect? :smug:

Even so.

Good RPGs are a crapshoot. Most start out as bad ideas and end up as bad games. Some start out as good ideas and fail in the execution. A very few start out as good ideas and somehow beat the odds and end up as good games.

The more studios there are, the more variety there is in them, and the more games of different subgenres they're making, the bigger the odds of occasionally getting something genuinely good. And right now all those indicators are well in the green.

So it's not as simple as "the more RPGs released, the healthier the genre," although the converse is true -- if very few RPGs are released at all, then the genre is clearly not doing well.

I mean, just look at Codex's bread and butter, mid-budget top-down isometric stat-heavy IE/NWN/Fallout-type games. We have the next thing from Owlcat to look forward to, Atom is in active development, Wasteland 3 is due soon, there's Black Geyser, Solasta, and heaven knows how many more. Anyone remember back when that entire style of games was so dead an entire Kickstarter phenomenon emerged just from riding the nostalgia? And that's just one subgenre.

S.torch

Arbiter
The same people here who praise the 2000s are the same that praise these tiny studios or niche games like Underrail who had absolutly no opportunity during that era. Ironic.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
And if none of the games released this year appeal to you, then maybe the problem are not the games...

And don't pull a "most of the Codex" based on absolutely nothing. I'm the only one here who has the poll numbers, and clearly people enjoyed a lot of games besides Disco Elysium.

Drops in the bucket, nothing that will make it to the next top 70 or be remembered let alone discussed in a few years.
Yeah, but if, say, Metallica's "Master of Puppets" was released today would anybody raise eyebrows? People would be like "Yeah, this is good. Next." probably.

There are no games that try to push the formula forward and do something exceptional. There are only AAA action games with some layer of RPG inspired mechanics and indies that more or less try to recreate the classic experience. You're a robot if you're not fed up at least to an extent.
It's crazy that you say that in a year when we just got a "Master of Puppets".

The rest of the releases only appear as "drops in the bucket" because the standards and options have been raised. Legend of Grimrock 1 was a craze in 2012 because it was a decent indie game reviving a genre that was dead for 15+ years. Now we have something like Operencia, which is objectively vastly superior to Grimrock 1, yet people are able to ignore it precisely because there are so many other good options out there and the genre isn't dead anymore.

The Real Fanboy
here's a little spoiler: Disco has the highest % of 4/4 votes than any title before, including AoD, Underrail, Witcher 3 and D:OS.
ccfbc8dc6f583e318a4df8a43b817b93ccbdf6d3.gifv

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Scarlet Grace was robbed. Why? Fuck me. That's why.
FFS, I already told you why. I'll add a note about it in the result post, but it wouldn't change anything, it would be like Gujian 3 or Erannorth Reborn, that almost no one one ever heard about.

If you want to promote the game so much, write a review.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Scarlet Grace was robbed. Why? Fuck me. That's why.
FFS, I already told you why. I'll add a note about it in the result post, but it wouldn't change anything, it would be like Gujian 3 or Erannorth Reborn, that almost no one one ever heard about.

If you want to promote the game so much, write a review.
JRPGs aren't covered on RPG Codex. And I'm not the only one on the 'Dex that enjoys it.

I own Gujian 3 too, just haven't played that one yet.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
nobody will know.
almost like the poll is being manipulated because there's nothing to stop it from happening
maxresdefault.jpg

The rest of the releases only appear as "drops in the bucket" because the standards and options have been raised. Legend of Grimrock 1 was a craze in 2012 because it was a decent indie game reviving a genre that was dead for 15+ years. Now we have something like Operencia, which is objectively vastly superior to Grimrock 1, yet people are able to ignore it precisely because there are so many other good options out there and the genre isn't dead anymore.
My standards haven't raised. I have no options (from last year anyway).

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not saying something may have happened if Cat Quest 2 ends up winning
but the russians have a vested interest in destabilizing all forms of western democracies

here's a little spoiler: Disco has the highest % of 4/4 votes than any title before, including AoD, Underrail, Witcher 3 and D:OS.

Ey guys, I just found this video on the estonian deep web and I'm pleased to translate for you. Seems to be a group of codexers performing a manifesto on a secret meeting with Disco Elysium developers.

The state of the codex, 2020:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Disco has the highest % of 4/4 votes than any title before, including AoD, Underrail, Witcher 3 and D:OS.

but have you perhaps considered that this is because there was literally nothing else that could compete with it in this grorious year 2019 that was better than all the 2000s combined because literally everything else was various degrees of bad or forgettable except for a cyoa running on lasagna that nobody's heard of

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.

Ey guys, I just found this video on the estonian deep web and I'm pleased to translate for you. Seems to be a group of codexers performing a manifesto on a secret meeting with Disco Elysium developers.

The state of the codex, 2020:

That's some advanced autism, but I applaud your effort.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Disco has the highest % of 4/4 votes than any title before, including AoD, Underrail, Witcher 3 and D:OS.

but have you perhaps considered that this is because there was literally nothing else that could compete with it in this grorious year 2019 that was better than all the 2000s combined because literally everything else was various degrees of bad or forgettable except for a cyoa running on lasagna that nobody's heard of

Because the racists didn't add Sengoku Rance on the list.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom