Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Murk

Arcane
Even before the worm, supposedly. Unless he was already infected at that point.

....... assuming he's not lying about the worm either.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Oh boy! I was spending NY in a village with the missus and then had technical issues and then it was January 12 already for some reason so I had to get a shitty laptop. But now I am back. Let's see what you guys wrote!
Will perks work like in Fallout and Underrail? Free to pick at every lvl\couple lvl, with some of them restricted by stats?
I don't think so. Last time I checked it was a tree like in the first Atom, but it was less restrictive. You had level 1 perks, level 2 perks, level 3 perks, etc. To get any level 2 perk, you had to first get any two level 1 perks, and to get level 3 perks, you had to have two level 2 perks, and 4 level 1 perks. I don't remember a game where the same system took place, but I think there were a few ones. Diablo or something? So the new thing is much more free, but you still don't have full freedom. Then the guy who makes these trees and perks went into hiding and I don't know what he does to the tree right now. Maybe it willl not be as described. He is very proud of his work tho.

It would be nice if we could get a few companions. I really liked Fidel and Hexogen. By the way, very interesting power armor.
cclghiO.jpg
You will get at least one in EA! I like those guys too!

Is this game actually good? Or is this another Slavic circle jerk?

So I finally got around to giving this game a try. The game is largely a Fallout 1 & 2 clone, which is both a positive and a negative.

It was nice to play a post-apocalyptic RPG that doesn't take place in the American Southwest. There's some clever quests, and I appreciate all the world building that went into the game. The overall story was familiar, but different enough to be enjoyable. Unfortunately, the combat was lifted right from Fallout. It made me miss Wasteland 2's combat. Too many times I had to reload because an enemy spawned right next to me and proceeded to unload a fully-automatic weapon into my character. The English translation is pretty poor. I can deal with simple spelling and grammar mistakes. I can even deal with awkwardly worded dialog as long as I figure out what's being said. What I don't like is selecting a dialog option that looks inoffensive, but ends up offending the NPC and initiating combat. This game also just felt like it was full of inside jokes that I just didn't get. I don't know if it was due to my unfamiliarity with Russian culture, unfamiliarity with internet memes, or translation problems, but I had trouble differentiating throw-away jokes from lines that might actually represent something in-game.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. It's good, but not great. I'll definitely play whatever they come out with next.
Thanks dude! Though, we had a native speaking writer fix most of the dialogues. Can you point me in a direction of some heinous stuff? We rarely get translation criticism nowadays, especially with lines that do unexpected things to characters like you described! Very weird! You're spot on about the jokes, though. There's a lot of stuff lifted from IRL late USSR, so this layer of the game might be very cringy for non-former soviets!
Also, while I'm pretty sure Hexogen isn't actually the cadet's father, I couldn't tell if Hexogen believed he was or if that whole thing was some poor word choices from the translation. And which Georgia does Alexander talk about? I assumed the country Georgia due to where the game takes place, but him dropping the term "Georgia peach" made me question that.
Wait, American Georgia is also famous for peaches? That's weird! Yes, we meant the country. And Hexogen just imagines you're his child, it even supposed to say so in his description! There are missable dialogues, where it's clear, too.
Even before the worm, supposedly. Unless he was already infected at that point.

....... assuming he's not lying about the worm either.
The worm didn't change much, this is true!

Anyway, guys, I will return soon, bringing news of Trudograd for everyone to look upon! See you later, and a very, very late Happy New Year!

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks dude! Though, we had a native speaking writer fix most of the dialogues. Can you point me in a direction of some heinous stuff? We rarely get translation criticism nowadays, especially with lines that do unexpected things to characters like you described!

Unfortunately I don't recall. I don't believe the completely unexpected thing was during a story critical section. I really should get in the habit of screenshotting these things.

Wait, American Georgia is also famous for peaches? That's weird! Yes, we meant the country.

Yeah, the state's nickname is the "Peach State." There's also a famous baseball player from the early 1900's who was nicknamed "The Georgia Peach" due to being from the state of Georgia.

curry

Arcane
You have some boring dungeons that really feel like a bottleneck in an otherwise open world game. Especially the bunker lab with plant monsters(?) was a game ruiner for me. Also the place with the castle was boring as fuck.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You have some boring dungeons that really feel like a bottleneck in an otherwise open world game. Especially the bunker lab with plant monsters(?) was a game ruiner for me. Also the place with the castle was boring as fuck.
but the bunker dungeons are my favorite places in the game

They bunkers in ATOM look like actual bunkers unlike in games of competition Comrade.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The English translation is perfectly adequate, it's just that with zero knowledge of Russian culture you're not going to understand half of the references the game makes. Obviously a lot of stuff will appear incomprehensible when you don't know what the fuck people are talking about.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
The English translation is perfectly adequate, it's just that with zero knowledge of Russian culture you're not going to understand half of the references the game makes. Obviously a lot of stuff will appear incomprehensible when you don't know what the fuck people are talking about.

I can't even imagine how average American can dig it

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
For every truly funny pop culture reference I’ve seen in games, movies, etc, there are 100 that just seem gratuitous.

Even if the ratio is much better in Atom, “getting” pop culture references is way overrated. I understood a few references in Atom and the rest just seemed like original stories of varying entertainment value. I doubt 200 instances of me thinking “oh they just referenced X” would have made the game any better.

Brainlet2

Educated
For every truly funny pop culture reference I’ve seen in games, movies, etc, there are 100 that just seem gratuitous.

Even if the ratio is much better in Atom, “getting” pop culture references is way overrated. I understood a few references in Atom and the rest just seemed like original stories of varying entertainment value. I doubt 200 instances of me thinking “oh they just referenced X” would have made the game any better.
Finding the references is half of the fun

Murk

Arcane
It's not just 'references', there's a tone and attitude that's carried through.

Maybe it's because I'm from a post-soviet shithole, or maybe I just have that fucked up janky type of sensibility, but the game's text/dialog resonated with me that few others do.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, I felt a little lost at many of the (what I assumed were) pop culture references. Still I thought the translation was pretty good overall.

flushfire

Augur
You had level 1 perks, level 2 perks, level 3 perks, etc. To get any level 2 perk, you had to first get any two level 1 perks, and to get level 3 perks, you had to have two level 2 perks, and 4 level 1 perks. I don't remember a game where the same system took place, but I think there were a few ones. Diablo or something? So the new thing is much more free, but you still don't have full freedom. Then the guy who makes these trees and perks went into hiding and I don't know what he does to the tree right now. Maybe it willl not be as described. He is very proud of his work tho.
I hope it's balanced better this time. A lot of games make the mistake where the lower level skills/abilities/perks in a tree are better than some of the highest level ones but it's more obvious in ATOM's ability tree, especially the dog's. And please no +skills perks.

Murk

Arcane
Anyone knows what todays patch brought us?

9b18878844c45be94daeed5e9c2bf200ac449e91.jpg

Hello, friends!

Today we would like to share version 1.111 with you! This patch comes not only with bug fixes, but also with new render optimizations. After a long, arduous journey we figured out how to up the FPS on certain machines and stopped crashes on exiting or entering a location.

We are very interested in learning your opinion about this work.

Changelog:
  • Optimized the game performance;
  • Fixed follower AI bug that happened when an ally was attacked with the retreat order active;
  • Fixed Waterfall experience farm glitch in Alina’s dialogue;
  • Fixed bug where mole eggs could not be targeted;
  • Primed explosives no longer explode in the inventory after a saveload;
  • Item duplication bug fixed;
  • Mechanic’s quest can now be ended with Kovalev after killing everyone in the Factory;
  • Gamepad now allows loading during enemy turn;
  • Animation sound added when getting radiation poisoning while wearing anti-radiation gear;
  • Added more to the soundscape of various locations;

Thank you for reading and let there be ATOM!

Sykar

Arcane
Anyone knows what todays patch brought us?

9b18878844c45be94daeed5e9c2bf200ac449e91.jpg

Hello, friends!

Today we would like to share version 1.111 with you! This patch comes not only with bug fixes, but also with new render optimizations. After a long, arduous journey we figured out how to up the FPS on certain machines and stopped crashes on exiting or entering a location.

We are very interested in learning your opinion about this work.

Changelog:
  • Optimized the game performance;
  • Fixed follower AI bug that happened when an ally was attacked with the retreat order active;
  • Fixed Waterfall experience farm glitch in Alina’s dialogue;
  • Fixed bug where mole eggs could not be targeted;
  • Primed explosives no longer explode in the inventory after a saveload;
  • Item duplication bug fixed;
  • Mechanic’s quest can now be ended with Kovalev after killing everyone in the Factory;
  • Gamepad now allows loading during enemy turn;
  • Animation sound added when getting radiation poisoning while wearing anti-radiation gear;
  • Added more to the soundscape of various locations;

Thank you for reading and let there be ATOM!

Doh I somehow read 14th instead of 24th and thought those were 10 days old already. I should go back to bed.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Is it bug or not?

I killed members of pedophile ring (can't handle six guys inside, so shot 3 guys on map which made all Peregon hostile which I didn't care 'cause all other quests were fulfilled), cleared out the basement, and when return to KRZ, no postman is seen anywhere near the cinema.

Also the smart reference to "The Crying of Lot 49" made me happy.

Murk

Arcane
You're not missing much else since it ends that way, but I can't remember if you're able to confront him only for him to brush you off or if he just disappears. Anyway, you got played to murder some of the RLM lads =(

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I killed members of pedophile ring (can't handle six guys inside, so shot 3 guys on map which made all Peregon hostile which I didn't care 'cause all other quests were fulfilled), cleared out the basement, and when return to KRZ, no postman is seen anywhere near the cinema.

I don't think i ever met the postman again either.

About the fight, it's tough but far from impossible, i guess it depends on how many companions you have and your equipment, i went to Peregon quite late but had to reload this fight once or twice until i focused on the boss and got lucky (crit) which made it too easy.

Last edited:

Deadass

Savant
Is it bug or not?

Also the smart reference to "The Crying of Lot 49" made me happy.
if u finish the quest correctly, he talks to you and says some shady shit and then leaves forever

Saduj

Arcane
The fight in question can also be made easier via dialog. I remember scaring some guys away and that made it much easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom