Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After numerous attempts for years (since I've made Steam account) finally got into it.

Same here. Just about to leave Taris. This is the furthest I've ever got, and I'm actually enjoying it this time.

I've never seen a whole Star Wars movie. Just bits here and there

I saw Episode IV on my first trip to cinema, quite experience but didn't made me neckbeard hardcore fan, had better things to do in post soviet world than collecting expensive toys, gadgets and other fancy stuff...
What a time to be alive when Episodes I-III are considered "decent" compared to modern episodes...

KOTOR have some popamole features (teleport to hideout) but not much handholding and quest description give little space for imagination (pre-quest makers era).

Psquit

Arcane
Nocturne was my first SMT game, it was quite different from all the others JRPGS in the sense that you don't play as the hero and your companions are literal demons from mythology and the bible. Just as others JRPGS you have goals but this is where SMT breaks the mold... that end of the world scenario that usually the MC tries to stop it already happened, your goal is whatever you can adapt to it and prosper or be a pussy and choose the law ending. Sadly SMT: Nocturne sold like shit cause is not a weeb fest full of pedo bait. Here check this:

8FgB6Fx.png

ECjnezc.png

6AvS955.png

wFZmygC.png

gqf5vOY.png

rp712WQ.png

As you can see newer entries were demoted to handhelds cause persona sells more, also they ditch the Kaneko art style (check the previous post with more Apocalypse pics), maybe because it doesn't click with modern audiences, who knows... all I can say is that SMT mainline doesn't revolve around high school (If... was a mistake) while Persona 3 onwards is all about J-pop, Muh waifus and social-links.

TL;DR:

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
202001201750071.jpg

never knew Grunker had a role in max payne

202001201751571.jpg

202001201823231.jpg

'without a gun I'd be no match for his men, I had to play hide and seek with them'

and that's where you're wrong kiddo

it is a little known fact that baseball bats are more effective than any boomstick

202001201846411.jpg

this game is fucking kino, I swear

Viata

Arcane
SMT mainline doesn't revolve around high school (If... was a mistake)
However, the original novel that gave origin to the series is related to it. The first game(Megami Tensei) is related to it. The first SMT has you playing a HS student and so on. It's not revolve around High School that is the problem here(Persona 1 and 2 are great), it's Persona 3 bullshit(social link and so on) that is the problem here. Also, If.. is better than any Persona.

Psquit

Arcane
The problem with If... is that it inspired the whole persona games. It doesn't matter if "If..." was good. No "If..." no Persona. While Persona 1 and 2 are good (motherfucking Hitler wielding the spear of destiny with Nyarlathotep as a stand) the same problem as before.

Fuck I forgot about "Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei" you got me there, but as you said: "It does not revolve around High School" sure, there are high school problems (bullying, etc), but it's more of a plot element.

Here's the ova:

At the end of the day, it is what it is. I don't hate If... nor persona 1 and 2, I just wish for more SMT games like we used to have.

The Red Knight

Erudite

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Does it have penetration values and such, or is it just based on HP?
ABC falls into arcade side; damage model is mostly based on HP, but shots have change to bounce depending on weapon and ammo used, distance and angle of impact.
I haven't found a way to tip vehicles over, game seems very forgiving about how crew takes damage and there's no way to throw a track or such.

The Red Knight

Erudite
Nb6ov7D.jpg

Dungeons & Wesnoths Hale RPG (which is neither D&D nor Wesnoth)

VZhQDXY.jpg

You can throw in custom portraits easily and it's supposedly very moddable.

DbX5U7L.jpg

inb4 furries, Furfoot = Goblin. Races seem heavily dictated by what'as available in Wesnoth in the first place.

VwoiMyf.jpg

7jb3v0J.jpg

There's talking to some NPCs and interacting with some things/scenery, but it's pretty much a combat-focused dungeon crawl.

RbMhNuV.jpg

Tanglefoot = D&D's Entangle (can be upgraded to also deal damage to caught creatures)

QBB69lN.jpg

"General" abilities available to everyone that you can pick from every few levels (other times you're given a choice from your class abilities).
Note regarding attribute training: the increase works towards requirements of other abilities, but not for requirements of prestige classes (i.e. for those you need to start with a high enough attribute).

m6i18p8.jpg

There's a minimap, a full inventory, a quest journal, and quick slots you can drag items and equipment to (any usable abilities show next to it automatically once you learn them)

5Cly5Gu.jpg

aHWgppt.jpg

44wJGoD.jpg

JeyAZ8u.jpg

There aren't many out-of-combat skills but those that are in all have their uses (like with high enough Search you can access this area, Speech may let you convince an NPC to something, etc.).

i7Zh13O.jpg

cYzjilV.jpg

Some locations are directly connected to each other, other ones require selecting a known destination from the map. Travelling seems to be the only way to pass time (and the only thing that does is eventually respawn some encounters and restock shopkeepers, for when you feel like backtracking).

sXhHmxG.jpg

Gn8nQaJ.jpg

I'd suggest selling off unwanted items before going to chapter 2 (takes a while to find a shopkeeper there), and levelling up once or twice if the monsters in the desert area were giving you problems, as there's some difficulty spike in the next chapter).

6jYi2Ap.jpg

HYHIyUW.jpg

Pm1EZRn.jpg

Fucking vampire bats healing all the damage with their bites.

s0F3zo3.jpg

QmUEZhe.jpg

Fuck this bastard too.

oUBYb78.jpg

Great for when your class has few means of boosting hit chance.

8jbRbjV.jpg

Chapter 2 is less linear than 1.

e73ATkI.jpg

VQhe7iz.jpg

HR27Y4J.jpg

A way to get past one area, avoiding most combat and some loot chests.

zY15wvq.jpg

Loot itself unfortunately seems to be mostly randomized, though some chests tend to be set to drop more specific groups of items, like a random weapon or an artifact/quality item, or a bunch of crafting junk (quest rewards seem fixed, and you can also just use Craft or buy something you really need, plus Disarm lets you reliably take opponent's weapon if they're wielding any).
You can also drop something in a chest or on the ground and come back for it later if you're OCD about hoarding. There's some bug involving that if you do lots of loot juggling (often it's tied to some graphical glitch where an item icon will persist on the screen after you drop it) - trying to pick up multiple things you dropped it might only pick up one and delete the rest, but using "take all" seems to help mitigate it, dropping itself seems safe, and saving-and-reloading fixes it whenever it occurs.

EHH5Vus.jpg

Fog is great against archers, and it can also be upgraded to hinder all attack rolls. At the bottom you can see ability cooldown. The number to the right is ability's normal cooldown (varies from ability to ability and can be affected by some passive abilities and equipment enchantments), the number to the left is additional cooldown for lingering effect stuff (like AoE clouds and buffs/deb uffs), which doubles as a counter showing when will the effect stop working. The additional cooldown pretty much makes such abilities only available every other battle, unless you wait after each encounter for the cooldowns to slowly go down (they don't reset after the battle ends).

VomrICY.jpg

Combat starts as soon as you see an opponent. Turn order seems to be decided by one's initative stat with some randomness thrown in. Groups of enemies tend to be similarly sized to your party (making individual fights short), but there are a few bigger battles and in some areas enemy groups are close to each other and you may lure another one if you're doing lots of walking/uncovering the fog of war during the battle.

dzNwWEq.jpg

You can only have one base class, chosen when creating the character, but during levelups you can select one of specializations for that class, and you can have more than one of those.

4L7jkuM.jpg

Some fights can be avoided (but why would you want that?)

BldFPSV.jpg

Og5dygG.jpg

Some boss monsters can be affected by powerful skills and status effects, other are immune to them (depicted: Monk's ability that in addition to dealing normal attack's damage takes away 2/3 of maximum HP if the opponent fails a check).

UDzT7HN.jpg

UAtuG8u.jpg

cudfuvM.jpg

y4M3vvp.jpg

ES9DEGa.jpg

Tld4KLw.jpg

UZF4Qcd.jpg

IhLRJQT.jpg

DNonlqW.jpg

Some later areas are large.

z6Deaxo.jpg

4PkpVvq.jpg

:prosper:
XGKbC7c.jpg

Yess, let's get surrounded.

KFJGky7.jpg

L25rLON.jpg

HLNFXhp.jpg

Everything crafting-related in one picture. There are several crafting skills, Alchemy (for making potions), one for crafting all kinds of mundane armor, another one for weapons, Enchanting (available only to Mage class), and trap-making (for Rogues, I think?). You automatically unlock recipes with enough skill points invested into the skills, and crafting is just finding a workbench in town, selecting stuff from the list and clicking "Craft". The quality of the crafted thing depends on the skill too (additionally crafting things that were available/unlocked earlier results in a better item than when trying to make something you just unlocked). Most ingredients are very common drops and can be bought too. They vary greatly in weight (especially bars of metals will fill up your inventory fast) and pricing (some can be near-worthless, other cost a fortune). If your party has no access to enchanting, then some of the most pricey ingredients can be safely sold to get rich fast and ruin game's economy.

PfxiVY8.jpg

Specializations tend to have additional tiers to ability trees, making them extra-powerful: to the left, by choosing the Avenger specialization for your Priest you can make your Curse spell (that already severely weakens nearby opponents when maxed) double as a buff that increases your party's attributes. Alternatively, you can pick Druid specialization for the Priest and make your party really hard to kill (of note is that not all classes having access to a given specialization will benefit from it equally - e.g. an Adept can become a Druid too, but he has no access to Priest's tree with healing spells, making the Mass Regeneration upgrade not available to him.

Can be downloaded from here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/hale/wiki/Home/

And here's a list of specializations because it doesn't seem to be easily accessible in-game:
https://imgur.com/a/Z11hYJ4

JarlFrank

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nb6ov7D.jpg

Dungeons & Wesnoths Hale RPG (which is neither D&D nor Wesnoth)

VZhQDXY.jpg

You can throw in custom portraits easily and it's supposedly very moddable.

DbX5U7L.jpg

inb4 furries, Furfoot = Goblin. Races seem heavily dictated by what'as available in Wesnoth in the first place.

VwoiMyf.jpg

7jb3v0J.jpg

There's talking to some NPCs and interacting with some things/scenery, but it's pretty much a combat-focused dungeon crawl.

RbMhNuV.jpg

Tanglefoot = D&D's Entangle (can be upgraded to also deal damage to caught creatures)

QBB69lN.jpg

"General" abilities available to everyone that you can pick from every few levels (other times you're given a choice from your class abilities).
Note regarding attribute training: the increase works towards requirements of other abilities, but not for requirements of prestige classes (i.e. for those you need to start with a high enough attribute).

m6i18p8.jpg

There's a minimap, a full inventory, a quest journal, and quick slots you can drag items and equipment to (any usable abilities show next to it automatically once you learn them)

5Cly5Gu.jpg

aHWgppt.jpg

44wJGoD.jpg

JeyAZ8u.jpg

There aren't many out-of-combat skills but those that are in all have their uses (like with high enough Search you can access this area, Speech may let you convince an NPC to something, etc.).

i7Zh13O.jpg

cYzjilV.jpg

Some locations are directly connected to each other, other ones require selecting a known destination from the map. Travelling seems to be the only way to pass time (and the only thing that does is eventually respawn some encounters and restock shopkeepers, for when you feel like backtracking).

sXhHmxG.jpg

Gn8nQaJ.jpg

I'd suggest selling off unwanted items before going to chapter 2 (takes a while to find a shopkeeper there), and levelling up once or twice if the monsters in the desert area were giving you problems, as there's some difficulty spike in the next chapter).

6jYi2Ap.jpg

HYHIyUW.jpg

Pm1EZRn.jpg

Fucking vampire bats healing all the damage with their bites.

s0F3zo3.jpg

QmUEZhe.jpg

Fuck this bastard too.

oUBYb78.jpg

Great for when your class has few means of boosting hit chance.

8jbRbjV.jpg

Chapter 2 is less linear than 1.

e73ATkI.jpg

VQhe7iz.jpg

HR27Y4J.jpg

A way to get past one area, avoiding most combat and some loot chests.

zY15wvq.jpg

Loot itself unfortunately seems to be mostly randomized, though some chests tend to be set to drop more specific groups of items, like a random weapon or an artifact/quality item, or a bunch of crafting junk (quest rewards seem fixed, and you can also just use Craft or buy something you really need, plus Disarm lets you reliably take opponent's weapon if they're wielding any).
You can also drop something in a chest or on the ground and come back for it later if you're OCD about hoarding. There's some bug involving that if you do lots of loot juggling (often it's tied to some graphical glitch where an item icon will persist on the screen after you drop it) - trying to pick up multiple things you dropped it might only pick up one and delete the rest, but using "take all" seems to help mitigate it, dropping itself seems safe, and saving-and-reloading fixes it whenever it occurs.

EHH5Vus.jpg

Fog is great against archers, and it can also be upgraded to hinder all attack rolls. At the bottom you can see ability cooldown. The number to the right is ability's normal cooldown (varies from ability to ability and can be affected by some passive abilities and equipment enchantments), the number to the left is additional cooldown for lingering effect stuff (like AoE clouds and buffs/deb uffs), which doubles as a counter showing when will the effect stop working. The additional cooldown pretty much makes such abilities only available every other battle, unless you wait after each encounter for the cooldowns to slowly go down (they don't reset after the battle ends).

VomrICY.jpg

Combat starts as soon as you see an opponent. Turn order seems to be decided by one's initative stat with some randomness thrown in. Groups of enemies tend to be similarly sized to your party (making individual fights short), but there are a few bigger battles and in some areas enemy groups are close to each other and you may lure another one if you're doing lots of walking/uncovering the fog of war during the battle.

dzNwWEq.jpg

You can only have one base class, chosen when creating the character, but during levelups you can select one of specializations for that class, and you can have more than one of those.

4L7jkuM.jpg

Some fights can be avoided (but why would you want that?)

BldFPSV.jpg

Og5dygG.jpg

Some boss monsters can be affected by powerful skills and status effects, other are immune to them (depicted: Monk's ability that in addition to dealing normal attack's damage takes away 2/3 of maximum HP if the opponent fails a check).

UDzT7HN.jpg

UAtuG8u.jpg

cudfuvM.jpg

y4M3vvp.jpg

ES9DEGa.jpg

Tld4KLw.jpg

UZF4Qcd.jpg

IhLRJQT.jpg

DNonlqW.jpg

Some later areas are large.

z6Deaxo.jpg

4PkpVvq.jpg

:prosper:
XGKbC7c.jpg

Yess, let's get surrounded.

KFJGky7.jpg

L25rLON.jpg

HLNFXhp.jpg

Everything crafting-related in one picture. There are several crafting skills, Alchemy (for making potions), one for crafting all kinds of mundane armor, another one for weapons, Enchanting (available only to Mage class), and trap-making (for Rogues, I think?). You automatically unlock recipes with enough skill points invested into the skills, and crafting is just finding a workbench in town, selecting stuff from the list and clicking "Craft". The quality of the crafted thing depends on the skill too (additionally crafting things that were available/unlocked earlier results in a better item than when trying to make something you just unlocked). Most ingredients are very common drops and can be bought too. They vary greatly in weight (especially bars of metals will fill up your inventory fast) and pricing (some can be near-worthless, other cost a fortune). If your party has no access to enchanting, then some of the most pricey ingredients can be safely sold to get rich fast and ruin game's economy.

PfxiVY8.jpg

Specializations tend to have additional tiers to ability trees, making them extra-powerful: to the left, by choosing the Avenger specialization for your Priest you can make your Curse spell (that already severely weakens nearby opponents when maxed) double as a buff that increases your party's attributes. Alternatively, you can pick Druid specialization for the Priest and make your party really hard to kill (of note is that not all classes having access to a given specialization will benefit from it equally - e.g. an Adept can become a Druid too, but he has no access to Priest's tree with healing spells, making the Mass Regeneration upgrade not available to him.

Can be downloaded from here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/hale/wiki/Home/

And here's a list of specializations because it doesn't seem to be easily accessible in-game:
https://imgur.com/a/Z11hYJ4

JarlFrank

This looks pretty cool. I enjoyed some of the more RPG-styled Wesnoth campaigns (Legend of the Immortals is my favorite) so this is of interest to me.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After decade since purchase (and Steam account registration, after years of resistance due to lack of decent internet connection) it's finally over
5F2E0E5F165C93DB327C23A1710C807668982122

whatever
ss_miro_01-21-20_19-26-59_(zaton).jpg.61dea3f86474ab04207bb90218561070.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom