Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Myobi

Liturgist
and even if they would continue selling ships, wtf cares really? Because I think player skill will be a huge factor with the first person parts.

Why do people care that in a open-PvP game you can out-gear your opponents by just throwing real cash at the monitor?

Yeah, I don't know dude... it's not like its a problem in other video games, right?

As for the rest... yeah I'm pretty much with you there.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
and even if they would continue selling ships, wtf cares really? Because I think player skill will be a huge factor with the first person parts.

Why do people care that in a open-PvP game you can out-gear your opponents by just throwing real cash at the monitor?

Yeah, I don't know dude... it's not like its a problem in other video games, right?

To be honest i am offended at the idea that such retarded creatures exist and waste our precious oxygen while increasing our carbon footprint! Rich/well off dumb people are the worst part of our current civilization,and believe that they should be eradicated!

ADL

Prophet

I've taken down $300 ships with my $30 ship. Also those more expensive ships require a crew to operate so I'd argue it's not really pay2win. Anyone with a crew or ability to pay for NPC crews would have that ship anyways. Non-issue after the first two weeks of launch since these ships are acquirable by any organized group of players quite easily.

If a two week slight inconvenience is what it takes to get a $300 million dollar crowdfunded MMO going, oh well.

Last edited:

Morkar Left

As long as it's not ship equipment I'm fine with it. You still have to control the ship and it really depends on what kind of ship you are flying. And if there is no lifetime insurance I guess te people who would actually buy the ship in the game would be quite low. It's too easy to lose it.
Actually it would be nice if you could even sell your earned ingame ship to another player via transfer. This way you could create money for yourself if you are not one of the "rich" persons. Actually I wouldn't mind bitching about snobs who haven't "earned" their ship and just rich noobs. There's already some good roleplaying opportunity there.

Myobi

Liturgist
I've taken down $300 ships with my $30 ship. Also those more expensive ships require a crew to operate so I'd argue it's not really pay2win. Non-issue after the first two weeks of launch since these ships are acquirable by any organized group of players quite easily.

If a two week slight inconvenience is what it takes to get a $300 million dollar crowdfunded MMO going, oh well.

Good for you buddy, it’s almost like the “pay-2-win” term is not meant to be taken in the literal sense of it….

Pay-to-win

In some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or downloadable content may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free who might otherwise need to spend time progressing in order to unlock said items. In general a game is considered pay-to-win when a player can gain any gameplay advantage over his non-paying peers. Such games are called "pay-to-win" by critics. Market research indicates that pay-to-win mechanics are considered much more acceptable by players in China than in Western countries, possibly because Chinese players are more habituated to recurring costs associated with gaming, such as gaming café fees.[36]

A common suggestion for avoiding pay-to-win is for payments to only be used to broaden the experience without affecting gameplay.[37] For example, games—such as Dota 2 and StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty—only allow the purchase of cosmetic items, meaning that a "free-to-play player" will be on the same level as a player who has spent money on the game. Others suggest finding a balance between a game that encourages players to pay for extra content that enhances the game without making the free version feel limited by comparison.[38] This theory is that players who do not pay for items would still increase awareness of it through word of mouth marketing, which ultimately benefits the game indirectly.

In response to concerns about players using payments to gain an advantage in the game, titles such as World of Tanks have explicitly committed to not giving paying players any advantages over their non-paying peers, while allowing the users buying the "gold" or "premium" ammo and expendables without paying the real money. However, features affecting gameplay and win rate, such as purchasing a 100% crew training level, a premium account, premium vehicles, and converting experience points to free experience points, remain available for the paying customers only.[39][40]

That’s what most player interpret by pay-2-win, of course it doesn’t mean you ain’t ever going to be able to out-skill someone else despite that advantaged.

Also, it doesn’t matter if those ships need a crew or not, even if the concept of having friends is completely alien to you, worry not, you can just hire a bunch of NPCs to handle it by throwing even more cash at the damn game! Speaking of buying credits, how’s that economy going to work out? But yeah, multiple guilds starting the game from the get-go with top tier space-ships and the coffers full of cash for better components and shit sounds like a “2 week non-issue”.

Edited cuz - That fuckin sentence made no sense.

Last edited:
New Legatus Pack, 35,000$ - https://imgur.com/a/OQyumZL

e8Ki845.jpg
Wow, that's a lot of jpegs.
And you can have them for the low low price of 35 grands :). Invest now citizen,while your money haven't been eaten by the inflation. Also think of the children and Chris's fourth chin.

Really don't understand who would buy a 150 ship pack like this. You aren't going to fly all this shit yourself. If its meant to be piloted by the AI as part of a fleet or something, its still going to be an incredibly dumb decision since you'd rather wait and see what the final game balance is like since undoubtably there is going to be one ship you'd rather hand 100 of and dozens of others that are crappy and irrelevant.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
New Legatus Pack, 35,000$ - https://imgur.com/a/OQyumZL

e8Ki845.jpg
Wow, that's a lot of jpegs.
And you can have them for the low low price of 35 grands :). Invest now citizen,while your money haven't been eaten by the inflation. Also think of the children and Chris's fourth chin.

Really don't understand who would buy a 150 ship pack like this. You aren't going to fly all this shit yourself. If its meant to be piloted by the AI as part of a fleet or something, its still going to be an incredibly dumb decision since you'd rather wait and see what the final game balance is like since undoubtably there is going to be one ship you'd rather hand 100 of and dozens of others that are crappy and irrelevant.
sectists are weird

GreyViper

Prophet
Didn't see this posted here. But this might explain why they did not release Squadron 42 before. And by the looks of it, Crytek is bleeding money and can't afford the court fees for too long.

"Crytek’s new memorandum asks the court to dismiss its suit without prejudice, which means leaving the door open to refile the suit if and when Squadron 42 becomes available. Cloud Imperium Games’ public roadmap for Squadron 42 estimates that the game will reach a beta stage of development in the third quarter of 2020."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/crytek-lawsuit-motion-to-dismiss
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...tek_wants_to_dismiss_its_own_lawsuit_against/

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't see this posted here. But this might explain why they did not release Squadron 42 before. And by the looks of it, Crytek is bleeding money and can't afford the court fees for too long.

"Crytek’s new memorandum asks the court to dismiss its suit without prejudice, which means leaving the door open to refile the suit if and when Squadron 42 becomes available. Cloud Imperium Games’ public roadmap for Squadron 42 estimates that the game will reach a beta stage of development in the third quarter of 2020."

https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/crytek-lawsuit-motion-to-dismiss
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...tek_wants_to_dismiss_its_own_lawsuit_against/

Not really. What happened is that during Discovery, Crytek learned that SQ42 is so far from release that they will be better off withdrawing their current lawsuit without prejudice and refiling it later. It’s harder to prove that SQ42 is developed as a separate product without proper licence when the game is basically vapourware.

Also, according to the document by Crytecs lawyers, CIG was forced to admit during discovery that they are still using CryEngine and haven’t switched to Lumberyard as they claim publicly (which would be not so easy since Lumberyard is an offshoot of CryEngine).

This thing is far from over.

Myobi

Liturgist
But this might explain why they did not release Squadron 42 before.

Lol! Yeah, I'm sure this is exactly why they have been giving it a release window almost every year just to delay it yet again since 2014.

... it sure makes it the perfect excuse to delay some extra years though.

GreyViper

Prophet
But this might explain why they did not release Squadron 42 before.

Lol! Yeah, I'm sure this is exactly why they have been giving it a release window almost every year just to delay it yet again since 2014.

... it sure makes it the perfect excuse to delay some extra years though.
Honestly, I don't know, but this whole mess has been entertaining to watch. A small part of me still hopes to get to play the single-player part.

paperjack

Literate
This game made me realize that allowing rich people to flex on peons is a great target market.
We were considering making a medieval MMO where you can literally buy noble status and order poor people around. It started as a joke... but, the more I think about it...

Peachcurl

Cipher
This game made me realize that allowing rich people to flex on peons is a great target market.
We were considering making a medieval MMO where you can literally buy noble status and order poor people around. It started as a joke... but, the more I think about it...
Chronicles of Elyria beat you to it.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
We could pay poor black people (or mexicans) less than minimum wage and make them work as independent contractors.

The whales can order them around- Make them pick virtual cotton for crafting and shit... It'll be great fun.

we'll take a nice cut off the top and help poverty stricken people so we can get rich, have fun and feel good about it.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

There's more evidence for this:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ff-from-bethesda.122137/page-170#post-6398095

This is how the War of Rights community works by some degree. The rich cunts pay outrageous server rents and can in turn determine who gets which rank, can put officer tags under their names and lead the units.
At one point I was promised monetary rewards to serve in a unit, and everyone wanted to be best friends, ironically only days later I had the biggest online dispute ever with one of their "NCOs", an "officer" and some other goons, because I refused to follow orders, didnt adress them by their self adopted "ranks" and didn't leave the server. Pathetic.

I believe it costs ca 30-40$ / month to have a server, so the only way to play this game is to join someone who pays this, apart from going to the 2 public servers (which are frankly the best because a few officers there actually lead by example)

Myobi

Liturgist
You know the best part of this fucking shit? If it comes out, I’ll have a new pretty decent game to play, if it doesn’t, I’ll have endless top tier memes and a community of toxic snobs to poke fun at… assuming that any of us will still be alive by the time any sort of outcome happens.

Myobi

Liturgist
It already came out, it has been "coming out" for 10 years now.

I already been over the Schrodinger Citizen theory already, it already came out, but it also hasn't come out yet, it all depends on the argument.

For example... If it's about the multiple missed release windows, then yes, the game already came out years ago.

However, If you are bragging about it while comparing it to titles such as ED, then it already has content than it, and isn't even out yet.

GreyViper

Prophet

Ok that was interesting, so Crytek sold Amazon the CryEngine license that Amazon could tweak and then provide to other companies for free thus cutting Crytek out of any profit from that. Either they didn't think this through when they sold the license to Amazon or they were really desperate for cash at that time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom