Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Colony Ship update #41: begun the closed beta has

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
About the charm guy with many followers vs the
lone action guy it is balanced?
Give us time to check it out deeply.
There are 3 difficulty mode in the options concerning the RNG system. Vince explained it in previous update. Nick's reminder :
"Heavily Adjusted", "Lightly Adjusted" and "Full Random".
To put it simply, Heavily Adjusted guarantees that 75% is 3 hits out of 4 (with some exceptions), by limiting the number of sequential misses allowed.
Lightly Adjusted is AoD model, where the 100% chance spectrum was divided into 10 decks, a number was drawn from one of these decks, and a deck was discarded until none are left, which led to reshuffle.
RNG is full chaos of randomness. I.e. you can roll 1 hundred times in a row, because of bad luck

I choose to test with the AoD model, didn't try yet the other systems.
By the way, I've just managed to win the first three fights where you play as a lone wolf. The 1st fight is a 1vs1 with a ranged weapon opponent. The second one a 1vs3 against melee attackers. And the third a 1vs1 fight, but this time your opponent has an energy shield and a riffle.
Right now, I am given one companion as allowed by my CHA score. Gonna try the 4th fight later.

Will share my impressions later.;)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I see items marked tradable and lootable. What kind of items aren't?
These are internal item tags that will be removed soon. For example, implants aren't lootable by default, you have to pass Biotech check first. Then there are quest items, etc.

Would you need somebody to test it on Mac VD? Is there a Mac version planned at all actually?
It's planned since the engine supports it but not in the near future.

So are things feature locked, or is this a vertical slice and there's a good long way to go?
Almost feature complete. Only the stealth system is left to do.

Do you have a bug report feature like PF:K? With a form opening up to type your message and then screenshot+savegame+message will be sent?
No. It would take time to do it and so far it's not a top priority as we don't expect many bugs at this point. Such a feature would be handy to track down scripting bugs when we start testing quests.

Camera isn't fixed so playing it on a touchpad isn't too convenient to say the least.
WHAT? NOT FIXED?
The viewpoint is fixed (you can't rotate the camera) but you can still move it around.

About the charm guy with many followers vs the lone action guy it is balanced?
Conceptually, it's similar to Dungeon Rats. You don't have to spend points on Charisma so your combat stats will be a bit higher and you'll gain feats faster. Early game will be more difficult but once you gain more feats you will be quite a killing machine.

Alphons

Cipher
RNG is full chaos of randomness. I.e. you can roll 1 hundred times in a row, because of bad luck

Punish me daddy.

Anyway, looking even more forward to playing myself.

Efe

Erudite
vd what do you think of hit-chance/evasion system of path of exile?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
What's up with the silly nu-XCom cover mechanics? No warehouse in the history of ever has looked like that.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If it is at all possible, I'd like to try the beta. I was telling myself that I shouldn't ask, but screw that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
vd what do you think of hit-chance/evasion system of path of exile?
I don't have a strong opinion on it. Why do you ask?

What's up with the silly nu-XCom cover mechanics? No warehouse in the history of ever has looked like that.
It's not a warehouse but an arena designed for entertainment. There will be plenty of areas with no cover in the game.

If it is at all possible, I'd like to try the beta. I was telling myself that I shouldn't ask, but screw that.
I guess I will have to order more keys. Looks like we've underestimated the enthusiasm.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably should have said this earlier, but I think the uniform yellow-beige color of the crates in the arena is bland af. If that's a place of entertainment shouldn't it be a bit more vivid?

Efe

Erudite
dungeon rats seems to have rather precise requirements for combat (though i didnt finish it so purely my perspective for early on). like "have X skill" or "X-1 but use the grenades you got in last room" to pass this encounter reliably or with acceptable damage soak.
which seems to me like youd appreciate "random but not really" system they use.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Probably should have said this earlier, but I think the uniform yellow-beige color of the crates in the arena is bland af. If that's a place of entertainment shouldn't it be a bit more vivid?
Warehouses aren't very colourful ya know. And if you were living in the kind of catastrophic place where warehouses get turned into killing grounds I doubt anyone would care much for decoration.

I know you could argue for suspension of disbelief in favour of making it more attractive to the player, but it looks very fitting to the setting as it is right now. Only thing I'd add would be more wear and tear (specially if the place has been seeing such an use for a while already), but I figure that'd be due for the final art pass anyway.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Pretty sure art assets aren't finalized lol. Most things are placeholder and yet to be fixed it seems, other than the mechanics and functionality itself of course.

Deleted Member 22431

Pretty sure art assets aren't finalized lol. Most things are placeholder and yet to be fixed it seems, other than the mechanics and functionality itself of course.
How are the graphics compared to AoD?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Probably (will leave it to Oscar and Mazin to decide). Right now such things are very low on the list due to the lack of time. The priiority right now: GUI (mainly tooltips), level design (not for the demo), quests, portraits, and animations. When everything is done, we'll start prettying up the places and working on atmosphere, spectators, etc.

dungeon rats seems to have rather precise requirements for combat (though i didnt finish it so purely my perspective for early on). like "have X skill" or "X-1 but use the grenades you got in last room" to pass this encounter reliably or with acceptable damage soak which seems to me like youd appreciate "random but not really" system they use.
Colony Ship design is a lot more flexible in this regard. Combat is still challenging but you have a lot of options now and can do more with less.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Maybe it's just me but I rarely watch gameplay videos and thus don't really care about this marketing aspect. Still, I do recall that you've been asking for a gameplay video for a while, so maybe I will record one when I have time.
I would say gameplay videos are incredibly important. I remember being drawn into Age of Decadence after watching The Smart Soldier and The Tough Trader on Youtube, which showcased the world, its people and how you diplomatically or violently interact with them.

If you need more beta testers, I would like to join the queue to apply as well.

Cnaiur

Augur
Vault Dweller this poor man is sitting at home with a fever, looking forward to a weekend of asperine and bad sleep. Imagine all of the bugs I could be identifying in those 48 hours.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom