Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amazon ships an MMORPG - New World

Codex Year of the Donut
Open world PvP only works when the game is actually built upon the concept and places PvP first. DAoC, Shadowbane, etc.,
, the whole issue that they always ignore is there are no real consequences to PKing
This was addressed in early Korean PvP-focused MMOs like lineage and legend of mir 2. In such games, striking an 'innocent' would 'flag' you(I'll refer to as flag1) for a small period of time, killing them would flag you for a long period(flag2) of time and greatly increase the odds of dropping your gear/items(!). Striking a flag1 person would also flag1 you, but killing them would not give you flag2. Neither striking nor killing a flag2 person would trigger flag1 or flag2.
Basically, if you killed innocents you became hunted by everyone.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
lol at that thread full of people wanting yet another PvP gankbox game. Why? Darkfall is right there
and it's fucking dead because just like arena shooters, everyone who claims to want one doesn't play them when they actually exist
I do.

Never shall the corrupting essence of the carebear despoil myself and my kin, for we shall slay true and just in Valhalla and beyond. Just look at these obnoxious gollum like creatures like Drakron praising the wicked Carebear, how It lies to you through thousand tounges promising you worlds of fun and etertainment. And when your time time and money has passed, all you find is a barren land devoid of joy, just like their women.

Last edited:

Drakron

Arcane
This was addressed in early Korean PvP-focused MMOs like lineage and legend of mir 2. In such games, striking an 'innocent' would 'flag' you(I'll refer to as flag1) for a small period of time, killing them would flag you for a long period(flag2) of time and greatly increase the odds of dropping your gear/items(!). Striking a flag1 person would also flag1 you, but killing them would not give you flag2. Neither striking nor killing a flag2 person would trigger flag1 or flag2.
Basically, if you killed innocents you became hunted by everyone.

Doesnt work, BDO have(?) the exact same system were PK makes people go Red that turns NPC town guards hostile and cannot interact with NPCs and being killed when Red would allow gear to break (delevel and/or Crystal break).

Changed nothing because BDO retarded GS made people Gods as long they passed certain thresholds over their target, also PvP was enabled at Lv50 and the differences of a fully leveled Lv65 and a Lv50 are significant as well there is another thing, people had characters that had basic gear that targeted people that were simply moving around, I remember a jackass on a horse that keep hitting people going out of the safe zone hoping they were just AFK traveling (because some rides take like 5-10 minutes) or training the horse and managed to get out of the safe zone.

And that is not even going to the BS that was "my spot".

Also being mandatory flag for PvP was apparently not a thing in Korea and just on the other regions versions, besides that solution always have to take in consideration the entire game system since as in BDO case just GS alone can make the fight entirely one-sided as people with TET boss gear will just win every time against people with DUO green gear unless they really but really suck making the whole "red" thing entirely pointless, also you can bet there were people bitching about wanting inventory drop from defeated as well the whole "how could they know I killed a player outside town" by not even wanting the Red status to exist.

Also it goes down to this, you are hoping with such system that other good, well equipped players will go after the tagged players, this is akin to abolishing the police force and depend on local militias to enforce rule of law and we all know what a great idea that is. And that does not address the fact people can even in subscription based game to simply create throwaway accounts simply to act like a dickhead ... you cannot do that in Korea because social number mandatory field on account creation (unless you commit fraud) but try that in the US by making people having to put their social security number, even if Americans eat more shit from corps they do from the government there are still limits.

Codex Year of the Donut
Also it goes down to this, you are hoping with such system that other good, well equipped players will go after the tagged players, this is akin to abolishing the police force and depend on local militias to enforce rule of law and we all know what a great idea that is.
If they dropped millions of dollars it would work fine.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Also it goes down to this, you are hoping with such system that other good, well equipped players will go after the tagged players, this is akin to abolishing the police force and depend on local militias to enforce rule of law and we all know what a great idea that is.

Then you get the fun spectacle of people flagging themselves into a pinata for their mates to loot

Codex Year of the Donut

Then you get the fun spectacle of people flagging themselves into a pinata for their mates to loot
…not when it's their own money…

So, what's the Codex opinion on this? Is it really sandbox? How is it going to stand out from the herds of unwashed deathmatch clones?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
So, what's the Codex opinion on this? Is it really sandbox? How is it going to stand out from the herds of unwashed deathmatch clones?
They removed the PvP so I no longer have any plans to touch it. I'm waiting for the next Crowfall patch to go live instead. It was supposed to be out by the end of February but they missed the date. Beta should be live any day now. It's already on the server being tested.

ADL

Prophet
Don't know yet but I'm glad it's not the PvP gankbox I played in the alpha. MMOs, sandbox ones especially need a community to survive. It's not 1997 anymore, people will just log off and play something else if the player base only consists of veterans jerking themselves off to the act of ganking new players.

Mortmal

Arcane
Don't know yet but I'm glad it's not the PvP gankbox I played in the alpha. MMOs, sandbox ones especially need a community to survive. It's not 1997 anymore, people will just log off and play something else if the player base only consists of veterans jerking themselves off to the act of ganking new players.
That doesnt bode well, it seems the dev have absolutely no knowledge of past mmos and their mistakes. A full sandbox pvp game will quickly end up in veteran ganking newbies as soon they move from starter town, i've read devs comments and they seems surprised about it happening in their game...Dont know how people with such naivety can provide anything good at all.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Changed nothing because BDO retarded GS made people Gods as long they passed certain thresholds over their target, also PvP was enabled at Lv50 and the differences of a fully leveled Lv65 and a Lv50 are significant as well there is another thing, people had characters that had basic gear that targeted people that were simply moving around, I remember a jackass on a horse that keep hitting people going out of the safe zone hoping they were just AFK traveling (because some rides take like 5-10 minutes) or training the horse and managed to get out of the safe zone.
Just like Ultima? What the hell do you want? You get vulnerable - you get killed. Simple as that. The point of entire system.

Also it goes down to this, you are hoping with such system that other good, well equipped players will go after the tagged players, this is akin to abolishing the police force and depend on local militias to enforce rule of law and we all know what a great idea that is. And that does not address the fact people can even in subscription based game to simply create throwaway accounts simply to act like a dickhead ... you cannot do that in Korea because social number mandatory field on account creation (unless you commit fraud) but try that in the US by making people having to put their social security number, even if Americans eat more shit from corps they do from the government there are still limits.
Completely beside the point. Just makes me sure you don't even grasp the idea. The white knighting guilds might be a thing in early UO commercials, but IRL it's just boils down to warlord mentality - you either have a gang to call upon to exact revenge, or weigh the risks of loosing your stuff without repercussions. The point of a such game is that you CAN do stuff real world bares you from. But actually full loot is a way to go, because this makes noobs less worthwhile targets, assuming a semblance of public order akin to a 3rd world country. It's the skewed 1st world mentality to assume carebear police is required for something to work when there are loads of countries where rule of the law remains in paper mostly, sure life in them is hell, but that's EXACTLY why I'm only willing to do it for thrill in a game.

Takamori

Learned
Wait John Smedley hands are on this? I don't have high hopes for long term direction for this game. The guy is responsible for making Planetside 2 run like a decapitated chicken during its peak when the market was all eyes on it. They just turned the game into a glorified arena with a weapon cash shop, I was kinda interested due to the setting but I will watch from afar to see how it turns out.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not 1997 anymore, people will just log off and play something else if the player base only consists of veterans jerking themselves off to the act of ganking new players.
Exactly.
For those handful of people, there are still some other MMOs around where you can freely gank the noobs.
Had enough of that in Meridian, never understood the appeal of the Highway Robbery kind of MMO. Sucks on the receiving end and stops player growth before it can ever take off, is boring af on the robbing end as you must avoid risks for it to pay off.

If you want PvP, it needs to be done right and with tons of players like in EVE or other games where the playing field is more or less even.

ADL

Prophet
Wait John Smedley hands are on this? I don't have high hopes for long term direction for this game. The guy is responsible for making Planetside 2 run like a decapitated chicken during its peak when the market was all eyes on it. They just turned the game into a glorified arena with a weapon cash shop, I was kinda interested due to the setting but I will watch from afar to see how it turns out.
Smedley has nothing to do with this or the LOTR MMO. He has his own third project.

ADL

Prophet
Delayed until August 31st 2021. The current build is damn near unrecognizable compared to the open playtest they did last year and I'm feeling pretty optimistic about what I've played so far. They've added a lot of PvE content, 3 or 4 new weapon-types, overhauled the crafting, combat and territory warfare systems.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
i thought its about native americans but now i see devils, sorcery and gatling guns?

ADL

Prophet
Originally the concept was that pilgrims come to North AmericaArtaeum to colonize the new world but it turns out all the fucked up native lore is true. Skinwalkers and wendigo roaming around at night and crazy shit like that. Anyways, for obvious reasons, it changed.

Jason Schreier referenced this a little bit in his article about why Amazon can't make good games.
Executives under Frazzini initially rejected charges that New World, an Amazon game that would ask players to colonize a mythical land and murder inhabitants who bear a striking resemblance to Native Americans, was racist. They relented after Amazon hired a tribal consultant who found that the portrayal was indeed offensive, say two people who worked on the project. The game, previously planned for release last year, is now scheduled for this spring.
https://archive.is/2tySe

Amazon’s questionable MMO has you colonize the ‘new world’
I enjoy playing sandbox MMO New World. This open-world adventure game teems with personality, teamwork, crafting, and combat. But New World is also perplexing and, worse, problematic.
It’s a team-based player-vs-player survival game with elements of exploration, resource exploitation, and expansion. I become part of a guild that creates our own culture, which can range from murderous warmongering to utopian idealism.
But New World is also a sanitized re-enactment of the European colonization of the Americas and elsewhere. It’s a manifestation of the great white fantasy of virgin territory and new beginnings. The game treads unwarily into a Heart of Darkness-like country of racist imperialism.
Here’s the setup: I am a settler, who’s landed on the pristine shores of a “new world.” I own nothing. So, I scavenge and craft. I team up with others and build a settlement. I specialize in warfare or building or farming or manufacturing. With my people, I defend our settlement from rivals. Perhaps I wage war, killing them to take their homes and their resources.
https://archive.is/dVMq1

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
next thing is rpg about european colonisation in africa that turns out to be open war with wakanda

Codex Year of the Donut
foNiRFh.png

:killit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom