Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
VidVmrI.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
they should remake a good game

Gothic 2 user score is 90 on metacritic https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/userscore/role-playing/pc?view=condensed
Gothic 1/2 is 4.6/5 on GoG user score https://af.gog.com/game/gothic?as=1649904300
Gothic 1 on STEAM is 88% positive with most negative reviews complaining about controlls and difficulty to run in modern PCs https://store.steampowered.com/app/65540/Gothic_1/

You can don't like G1, but say that G1 is not a good game is not true. I mean, my favorite game is G3 but a realize that G2 is better for everyone who isn't a diehard magefag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside for the fact that this is a poor imitation regardless, as far as I'm concerned the real problem of the "For Honor" combat system, compared to something like the Souls games or Sekiro, is that it relies a lot more on UI elements rather than contextual visual cues to be played effectively.

Also, For Honor managed to make the system SOMEWHAT appealing by integrating it with a very advanced and smooth system of procedurally-generated animations blending seemlessly into each other. Conversely this imitation just looks stiff and unnatural.
Basically it takes all the downsides without any of the positive highlights.

Personally I agree that a SLIGHTLY slowed down imitation of the Sekiro combat, with its parry/posture system, would arguably be the best fit for a Gothing "reimaginging" among the examples currently available on the market.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
of the Sekiro combat, with its parry/posture system, would arguably be the best fit for a Gothing "reimaginging" among the examples currently available on the market.

Strongly disagree. Sekiro is worst than For Honor by one aspect. Sekiro only works with KATANA and the worst part. Is not immersive when a katana can deflect a 50kg warhammer wielded by a 4m tall Orc. Not mentioning that break posture to deal a hit would be a nightmare...

IDK why so many people are suggesting combat system that only works with swords for Gothic, a game where you need to face Golems that takes almost no damage from non bludgeoning weapons, harpies, dozens of black goblins, skeleton orcs, trolls, snappers and tons of creatures only on chapter 3. And ignore that gothic is not a mindless fast swinging blade fest. Like Sekiro is and Dark Souls becomes on DS3. If the game in question doesn't have a good combat vs hordes of creatures, beasts and takes magic, bow, crossbow, and melee weapons like AXES/Hammers into account, copying the combat will just not work.

Demon Souls and EARLIER Dark Souls IMO has a good combat that can be adapted to Gothic( but no stamina bar. Stamina bar doesn't work vs hordes of creatures) and look to Mount & Blade Warband. Has a amazing combat that works with anything. The game doesn't have magic BUT Fire & Sword added firearms, and works fine. Mods like Phantasy Calradia adds magic and also works fine. So, M&B IMO has a good combat.

M&B is also extremely immersive
  • No enemies that need to be impaled 50 times in the head to die. I with heavy armor got OHKilled by a cavalry charging at me with a lance
  • No ballet rotation pirouettes
  • No ludicrous long telegraphs
  • Blunt weapons are best vs armor and swords useless vs armor just like IRL
  • Works well with everything, spear, axes, hammers, bows, crossbows, riding horses, driving vehicles(parabellum mod), using magic(phantasy calradia), etc
  • Works well with mouse & keyboard
  • The directional combat felt similar to G1/G2.

PS : Sekiro for me is just a Weebo DEX souls.

Strongly disagree. Sekiro is worst than For Honor by one aspect. Sekiro only works with KATANA and the worst part. Is not immersive when a katana can deflect a 50kg warhammer wielded by a 4m tall Orc. Not mentioning that break posture to deal a hit would be a nightmare...
1. Who gives a shit that it's a KATANA™, it's not supposed to be a simulation. Sekiro himself beign a borderline superhuman ninja is his own thing.
2- The game system DOES include unblockable blows of various kinds. In fact, that basic but sufficient variety of countermoves is precisely what makes the system fun, otherwise you'd just spam parry frantically...
3- ...But even if you did there is the posture mechanic into play.
4- You don't need to give a KATANA™ to your Nameless One, to begin with, nor to make it deflect a 50 Kg warhammer. Borrowing a system and copying its specific implementations to the most minute details are two entirely different things. Otherwise we'd be asking for our nameless protagonist to also get a prosthetic arm and a rice paper umbrella.
5- Dark Souls would not be a bad compromise for a slightly modernized Gothic, but compared to Gothic/Sekiro it relied a lot more on "shield and weapon" gameplay, which is where Sekiro becomes a better model/fit.

PS : Sekiro for me is just a Weebo DEX souls.
That's just because you apparently can't separate the setting from the mechanics.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
1. Who gives a shit that it's a KATANA™, it's not supposed to be a simulation. Sekiro himself beign a borderline superhuman ninja is his own thing.

Gothic IS more immersive than most RPG's. I don't wanna Gothic turning a game completely dissociated from game mechanics with no immersion. And about Ninjas, Ninjas used a lot of firearms and polearms(that you can't use on sekiro)

We already have 534654653653*10²³ fast swinging blade festivals. We don't need Gothic to become another game where you can solve every problem, from a wolf to a giant rocky golem with a fast swinging blade. And everything is made assuming that the player will never use other melee weapon, nor use a bow or a crossbow...

2- The game system DOES include unblockable blows of various kinds. In fact, that basic but sufficient variety of countermoves is precisely what makes the system fun, otherwise you'd just spam parry frantically...

Is just a icon. Is not intuitive like Dark/Demon Souls. On Demon/Dark Souls 1/2, if the enemy is 10m tall and is swinging a 40kg warhammer, i know that i need a shield with high stability to block compared to if he is a hollow using a kitchen knife

4- You don't need to give a KATANA™ to your Nameless One, to begin with, nor to make it deflect a 50 Kg warhammer. Borrowing a system and copying its specific implementations to the most minute details are two entirely different things. Otherwise we'd be asking for our nameless protagonist to also get a prosthetic arm and a rice paper umbrella.

No, but as i've said, imagine going to pick a Focus stone for Saturas, fighting like 10 snappers, then 30 black goblins, then picking a shrink monster scroll, using in a 7m tall troll and then killing him with the Sekiro combat. This is the closest focus stone to the Chap 3 start. And would be unplayable if i need to spend 10 minutes parrying everyone.

GrainWetski

Arcane
One thing that makes me rage is. Console games who receive remake/remaster get a similar experience to the base game. See Crash remake vs original and even Resident Evil. Hell, even rumors of Demon Souls that make me wanna a P$5. Why PC players only get a awful Gothic remake that put ALL ARCANIA BULLSHIT and all modern BS???? After ArcaniA din't the devs learned the lesson?

Nobody wanna Dialog Wheel, Sponge 5 minutes to kill a wolf combat, immersion breaking questmarkers, dissociation of inventory and the world, no animation/time to drink potions, dialog whee limiting how much dialog they can showl, and according to a reddit user who claims to be able to access magic whith cheat engine, will be cooldowns on the rune magic. Why? HOW many arcania clones we need before a proper gothic game????

edit : HE is claiming that a STORM of fire isn't killing a snapper.
Because console games are already console games.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Any news? They will proceed with ArcaniA 2? Drop the project? Fix the game?

Some memes

6s21pkunnff41.jpg

zyk1wwebjb531.png

lhfodnyxqje21.jpg

sojk7yiejg121.jpg

Now seriously. IMO THQ Nordic should hire the devs of the Returning 2.0 mod and use it to make a gothic game. Modern PB isn't like old PB. Look to risen 2 for eg...

Tygrende

Arbiter
This whole "remake" must be an extremaly elaborate attempt at making Gothic fans angry. There is no other logical explanation for this to come into existance. I feel like it tries to insult me on a personal level.

Sentinel

Arcane
This whole "remake" must be an extremaly elaborate attempt at making Gothic fans angry. There is no other logical explanation for this to come into existance. I feel like it tries to insult me on a personal level.
What if they're just trying to turn it into a bearable game instead?

Tygrende

Arbiter
Then they're doing a pretty good job if the teaser is meant to show everything that the final version is not going to be.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

If someone can't play Gothic, is because the person's brain is too used with "press A for awesome" and is broken beyond repair

I have more than 1000 hours on all gothic games(Gothic 1/2/3) and could't play this teaser for more than a hour. Exactly because the combat hurt my hand. Is too slow, clunky, UNimmersive, and dissociated from the game's world each wolf bite you lose control, the screen shaking looks like a brothel bed, you spend more time watching icons than in the opponent moves, the screen shaking and visual effects hurt my eyes, i don't even know how it will work with like fighting 30 black goblins in chap 3, or harpies, or trolls, or anything else with this combat will gonna be. Arcania had problem with bullet sponge long boring fights but this game combat is taking 4 times longer than arcania. And instead of fearing a wolf that can tear my lv 0 hero apart in a fraction of second, i had no fear from even snappers. As longs i have potions/food/etc to insta teleport to my belly without having to drink the potion, i can fight arch demons and i an safe as longs i have consumables

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane

If someone can't play Gothic, is because the person's brain is too used with "press A for awesome" and is broken beyond repair

I have more than 1000 hours on all gothic games(Gothic 1/2/3) and could't play this teaser for more than a hour. Exactly because the combat hurt my hand. Is too slow, clunky, UNimmersive, and dissociated from the game's world each wolf bite you lose control, the screen shaking looks like a brothel bed, you spend more time watching icons than in the opponent moves, the screen shaking and visual effects hurt my eyes, i don't even know how it will work with like fighting 30 black goblins in chap 3, or harpies, or trolls, or anything else with this combat will gonna be. Arcania had problem with bullet sponge long boring fights but this game combat is taking 4 times longer than arcania. And instead of fearing a wolf that can tear my lv 0 hero apart in a fraction of second, i had no fear from even snappers. As longs i have potions/food/etc to insta teleport to my belly without having to drink the potion, i can fight arch demons and i an safe as longs i have consumables
You're just delusional and/or german. Gothic, Risen and ELEX are some of the clunkiest games ever made from a gameplay perspective, with combat that doesnt even work half the time and has to be cheesed.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You're just delusional and/or german. Gothic, Risen and ELEX are some of the clunkiest games ever made from a gameplay perspective, with combat that doesnt even work half the time and has to be cheesed.

I an (unfortunately) Brazilian. BUT Gothic doesn't have a awful combat if compared to other 3D earlier 00s RPG's. I would pick G1 combat over Morrowind any time of the day. Risen 1 is passable but still inferior to Demon Souls launched in the same year. Only Risen 3(din't played 2) has a trash combat. You click in attack and then the guy dances ballet for 10 seconds and teleport to the enemy. Is awful. Not mentioning cooldowns on rain of fire and similar spells. Elex, ranged combat is OK and melee is trash but not as Risen 3.

This teaser in other hands, has one of the worst combat ever. Felt more like a minigame designed to be played with a controller than a actual immersive battle

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
There's more pressing issues for the remake to get right than the combat.
Also just because the combat of Gothic wasn't as bad as most of it's peers, doesn't mean it's combat is in any way good.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can't get Gothic to run on my PC at all, even with the player kit, so this may well be my only chance of experiencing it.

I really wish to be able to play Returning 2.0. They did a amazing job with magic. You can be a water mage(the best type of mages) or a necromancer(Xardas apprentice), learn demoniac language and do all types of cool stuff. Unfortunately i wasted hours and din't managed to run the mod. Only watched play troughs. THQ Nordic should hire the modding communities to make any remake/remaster. But this game is not Gothic. Is ArcaniA with gothic story

Last edited:

Sinatar

Arbiter
so this may well be my only chance of experiencing it.

You really think playing this is "experiencing" Gothic? It's a completely different game from a completely different developer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom