Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Harthwain

Magister
Let me ask a legitimate question to those here.

How do you think the setting and atmosphere of BB was handled? Do you enjoy the fact that for probably the first time in a while a game dev actually listened and gave a middle finger to political correctness by having zero affirmative action, feminism, sexual deviancy or anything even eliptically related to those themes inserted there? Let me just say I was surprised by it, especially from a developer located at Germany.
Listened to who? Gave a middle finger by not doing anything? Also, you think the game has "zero [...] sexual deviancy or anything even eliptically related to those themes inserted there?"? Read this:

I rescued a horse rapist who turned out to be pretty good. Not even a week later (in game) I can across a convicted melon mollestor.. I decided not to save him though as I figured one sexual deviant was enough for the Fracas Crew.
Source

They handled the atmosphere well, but let's be frank - it's not that hard to go wrong with gritty fantasy and you can even score points from people who like Warhammer Dark Fantasy and Game of Thrones as a result (even if you aren't banking on it). I think you're seeing an agenda (or anti-agenda) where there isn't one.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Do you enjoy the fact that for probably the first time in a while a game dev actually listened and gave a middle finger to political correctness by having zero affirmative action, feminism, sexual deviancy or anything even eliptically related to those themes inserted there?

It's a tactical game where you chop off Orc heads.

Where the fuck you see feminism in it? They explained (at the time) that putting Battle Sisters in the game wasn't on the table mostly out of resource management (better to use artist hours for extra content than for eye candy). My complaints about the frankly boring - for me - Central European setting have slowly been solved.

After playing the vanilla version years ago, I bought the DLCs and I'm sorta amazed that some of the basic problems (lack of interesting stuff to kill after a while, lack of endgame content, lack of starting variety) got addressed. If I get to play with Not! Middle Eastern equipment it's even better. I still think that the basic gameplay loop of Battle Brothers is broken (roguelite permadeath with non-disposable units, forcing you reloads if you lose that guy) but , eh, I don't play Ironman. More power to those who can manage tho.

Codex Year of the Donut
Do you enjoy the fact that for probably the first time in a while a game dev actually listened and gave a middle finger to political correctness by having zero affirmative action, feminism, sexual deviancy or anything even eliptically related to those themes inserted there?

Where the fuck you see feminism in it? They explained (at the time) that putting Battle Sisters in the game wasn't on the table mostly out of resource management (better to use artist hours for extra content than for eye candy). My complaints about the frankly boring - for me - Central European setting have slowly been solved.

After playing the vanilla version years ago, I bought the DLCs and I'm sorta amazed that some of the basic problems (lack of interesting stuff to kill after a while, lack of endgame content, lack of starting variety) got addressed. If I get to play with Not! Middle Eastern equipment it's even better. I still think that the basic gameplay loop of Battle Brothers is broken (roguelite permadeath with non-disposable units, forcing you reloads if you lose that guy) but , eh, I don't play Ironman. More power to those who can manage tho.
a game where you go around murdering defenseless orcs is problematic tbh

sser

Arcane
Developer

a game where you go around murdering defenseless orcs is problematic tbh

13256.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane

How do you think the setting and atmosphere of BB was handled? Do you enjoy the fact that for probably the first time in a while a game dev actually listened and gave a middle finger to political correctness by having zero affirmative action, feminism, sexual deviancy or anything even eliptically related to those themes inserted there? Let me just say I was surprised by it, especially from a developer located at Germany.

Go away, shitposter

They made a good game about a bunch of fighter dudes without legs, not every single fucking thing is explicitly designed to feed your very particular political obsession

It's also too good a game for you to ruin this thread with dumbass low level trolling

trimethylsilyl

Educated
Started playing this game a few days ago, and I'm really liking it so far. Haven't bought the DLCs yet, but might do for my next playthrough.
I have a question though: I read somewhere that when you have more than 12 bros in your party you will start seeing stronger/more enemies. Does this include the bros in reserve as well, or just the active ones?

Razzoriel

Genos Studios
Developer

It's also too good a game for you to ruin this thread with dumbass low level trolling
Then explain to me how it is trolling.

Tigranes

Arcane
Started playing this game a few days ago, and I'm really liking it so far. Haven't bought the DLCs yet, but might do for my next playthrough.
I have a question though: I read somewhere that when you have more than 12 bros in your party you will start seeing stronger/more enemies. Does this include the bros in reserve as well, or just the active ones?

AFAIK Isn't that just "get 12 bros in party" being one of the most common early ambitions, and fulfilling ambitions / increasing renown tends to unlock stronger enemies as well as more lucrative contracts?

TBH I wouldn't worry hugely about it.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
By the way, the new legends mod build is out and fixed already on Nexus, no major bug left.
I advise against the armor layers thing, except if you want more micro-management (it can make armors a bit more powerful but at what cost ...)

Also, seems the Warlock (Necromancer) was really improved, didn't try it yet but i've read you can't enter cities anymore but have some new recruitment hubs, like the battle sites and some locations you usually raid.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
So this weekend I played this, had some fun, rage quit, uninstalled, and came crawling back and reinstalled.

Four times.

Last time was after beating a 3 skull bandit mission without a loss only to meet bounty hunters afterwards telling me my kill was now their kill.

I tried fighting them but lol nope, not happening. They one-shot doods every round with crossbows. Of course this is a special encounter with no way to avoid. Maybe I can run away after the battle starts?

I'll probably reinstall again after work.

Razzoriel

Genos Studios
Developer
So this weekend I played this, had some fun, rage quit, uninstalled, and came crawling back and reinstalled.

Four times.

Last time was after beating a 3 skull bandit mission without a loss only to meet bounty hunters afterwards telling me my kill was now their kill.

I tried fighting them but lol nope, not happening. They one-shot doods every round with crossbows. Of course this is a special encounter with no way to avoid. Maybe I can run away after the battle starts?

I'll probably reinstall again after work.
Sounds like fun.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
yeah, it's not worf it, mercs are seriously juiced and will pull a lot of bullshit at that stage, at all stages

I recently happened on an opportunity to attack a mercenary group early on that'd just been brought down to 3 dudes, including a swordmaster, just some days after letting the event mercs bully me out of the bounty, confirming to me that yeah, the bounty I was sort of kind of regretting letting go without a fight... not worf it

Reinhardt

Arcane
But if you win it early - you are pretty much ready for crisis. Their equip will let you stomp easily any enemy you can encounter at this point of the game.

Murk

Arcane
It is also a legit challenge since they will use a lot of abilities, auxiliary items, and require a different approach than bandits or barbarians. It's a good test of your company's strength, but yeah I wouldn't fuck with it early on unless you're lucky enough to pull some neutral monsters/enemies into the fight to use as meat shields.

Reinhardt

Arcane
The only legitimately scary thing when dealing with mercs is swordmasters. Because fuck swordmasters. They don't care about your tactics or other shit.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
But if you win it early - you are pretty much ready for crisis. Their equip will let you stomp easily any enemy you can encounter at this point of the game.

One of them had a juicy looking warbrand. On the first try I sniped their crossbowman but the rest of their guys tore me to pieces. I'm willing to save scum like a degenerate but I don't think there's a winning scenario for my sub-80 armor bros.

Monocause

Arcane

You're probably the only person on this board who ever used the words "Battle Brothers", "feminism" and "affirmative action" in a single post. Neither the SJWs nor Nazis bite. So it's not only trolling but it's also incompetent trolling. If it's not trolling, I assure you that everyone is much happier playing a cool game about dudes murdering other dudes and monsters for cash and loots rather than discussing this bullshit on the premise that BB is in any way shape or form a political statement.

But then again - is killing for cash ethical? Discuss

Tigranes

Arcane
By the time I'm ever strong enough to take those guys on those named weapons usually aren't a huge deal anymore :negative:

Until my company, obsessed with a truly legendary weapon of which they have only heard rumours in taverns, will journey deep into the orc heartland to find it. The civilised world would never hear from them again.

Razzoriel

Genos Studios
Developer

You're probably the only person on this board who ever used the words "Battle Brothers", "feminism" and "affirmative action" in a single post. Neither the SJWs nor Nazis bite. So it's not only trolling but it's also incompetent trolling. If it's not trolling, I assure you that everyone is much happier playing a cool game about dudes murdering other dudes and monsters for cash and loots rather than discussing this bullshit on the premise that BB is in any way shape or form a political statement.

But then again - is killing for cash ethical? Discuss
Everything is a political statement, even the complete absence of it. When you promote the emptiness of political imaginery in things and enforce it, you're promoting positivism, which wants to remove all ideologies. So in a way, you're being an ideologue by trying to promote lack of ideologies. Furthermore, I've asked opinions, nothing else. If you don't want to create an opinion, it's simple, ignore the post. You had to bite though, because you're probably oversaturated with the subject. That's fine, it's just not the truth that my original intent was to troll, however, and a simple search on some subjects would imply that.

No, it is not, regardless of how low the person to be killed is.

Zariusz

Arbiter
What do you think about plate armour in Legends mod? I think that BB had this unique climate of high medieval period and this dont work well there. Plate armour in such setting is like adding war planes to napoleonic wars.

Tigranes

Arcane
I do enjoy going back to some of BB's earlier art styles. I think the current look is great, but there were some charming moments in the older ones that had a stronger old school / tabletop feel:

orc_attack.jpg

Battle_Brothers_Worldmap_01.jpg

Worldmap_banner.jpg

all_mock-1024x603.jpg

Honestly, I think I prefer the old world map.

Barbarian

Arcane
I do enjoy going back to some of BB's earlier art styles. I think the current look is great, but there were some charming moments in the older ones that had a stronger old school / tabletop feel:

orc_attack.jpg

Battle_Brothers_Worldmap_01.jpg

Worldmap_banner.jpg

all_mock-1024x603.jpg

Honestly, I think I prefer the old world map.

I agree.

Also, the banners were much better. There is a reason why historically coat of arms were like this(simple geometric shapes and simples designs). You know the ultra elaborate designs most of the current banners have? Who the fuck would paint a shield like that lol. Unless of course it was to be used in decoration and not in battle! I go REEEEEE every time I see those.

That is why I always autistically pick the few simples designs available for my companies(i.e: the raven or the kraken banners). It is ironic that the noble house designs are mostly very cool, simple graphics. Too bad they didn't go with a similar style for mercenary banners.

I have been dying for simple stuff such as a skull or skull and crossbones type banner, or even plain color banners(for a color based company name such as "black company" or "crimson company" or whatever) .You know, the type of cool imagery a mercenary company in such a setting would actually use! Instead we got stuff like tranny mermaid and other deviantart designs. Hopefully the new dlc will add cool ones such as the kraken banner that was added in m&e.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom