Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News Fallout et tu lets you play Fallout in the Fallout 2 engine

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Fallout; Fallout 2; Fallout et tu

We don't often post news about mods these days, but this is one we couldn't pass up. The modding community at No Mutants Allowed has been tinkering with the original Fallout engine for two decades, but one thing they somehow never got around to making was a BGT-style mod that would allow playing Fallout 1 in the improved Fallout 2 engine. Last July a group of experienced modders led by Lexx decided to finally do something about that. Yesterday they unveiled the release version of what they're calling Fallout et tu. In addition to importing Fallout into the Fallout 2 engine, it also implements many of the expected bell and whistles that modders have added to Fallout 2 itself over the years. Here are the details:

Fallout et tu

A Fallout to Fallout 2 engine conversion (also called Fallout 1@2, 1at2, or 1in2) brought to you by Rotators (the people who made FOnline: 2238 and stuff).

The aim of this project is to bring the first Fallout game into the engine of the second while utilizing Fallout 2's features wherever we can (within reason). Generally we do not try to make a 1:1 copy of the first game. So, if you want to play the 100% real deal, the very pure experience so to speak, you should grab the original Fallout 1 instead of this mod.

However, if you do not mind the one or the other change in mechanics, then Fallout et tu can be your way to go!

Features
  • Replicates Fallout 1 in 2 almost 1:1.
  • Comes with the Hero Appearance mod integrated (Bald Dude, Long Hair Dude, Punk Girl).
  • Selected Fallout 2 weapons have been added (sparingly!) to the game world in ways that don't break the game balance.
  • Fallout 2 styled merchant inventory restocking (Optional).
  • Party members and generic NPCs can be pushed out of the way.
  • Party members level up and change their appearance based on worn armor.
  • Party members can be controlled in combat (Optional).
  • Automatic door opening and closing (Optional).
  • Traverse the wastes on your very own motorcycle (Optional)!
  • Continue playing after the main story has been completed (Optional).
  • Lots of bugfixes, making the game run more stable than even the original with patches.
Not to forget:

This project is a more accessible modding platform and allows the creation of complex modifications, which wouldn't be possible with the engine of the first game!​

I expect that Fallout et tu will become the recommended way of playing Fallout 1, superseding Fallout FIXT and the old TeamX patches. You can grab it at No Mutants Allowed or directly from its Github page.

Cross

Arcane
I assume this also implements FO2's mechanical changes into FO1, like the new perks and the changes to how skills are calculated?

Farewell young Prince into the night

I dunno men, it's already crashed twice in the span of five minutes for me. Both times entering/exiting Shady Sands. Anyone else having issues?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The interesting thing is that I played Fallout 2 before I played Fallout 1 and I think I never even noticed a difference in the engines. Usually there's some type of negative transference going from the typically more enhanced/QoL later versions to earlier. So this mod would probably be wasted on me, but then again I'm not one of those wacky obsessives/autists that played the fallout games 100+ times either, so...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The interesting thing is that I played Fallout 2 before I played Fallout 1 and I think I never even noticed a difference in the engines. Usually there's some type of negative transference going from the typically more enhanced/QoL later versions to earlier. So this mod would probably be wasted on me, but then again I'm not one of those wacky obsessives/autists that played the fallout games 100+ times either, so...
As Per pointed out in his guide, there are quite a number of convenience features in Fallout 2 that would be really nice to have in 1

• There's no "take all" button (argh).
  • You can't move more than $999 at a time.
  • New items go to the bottom of your inventory instead of the top (don't they have playtesters to catch this sort of thing?).
  • You can't barter freely with party members.
  • You can't tell party members to move out of the way (or anyone else).
  • Your destination on the world map is reset every time you have an encounter.
  • "Rest until morning" only goes to 6.00 even though a lot of people in the game consider 7.00 or 8.00 to be the start of business hours, which is usually what you're waiting for.
  • Money isn't displayed in dialogue.
  • Carry Weight isn't displayed in inventory.
  • If you try to use something during combat, like opening a door or searching a corpse, your character will walk slowly up to it even if you have "always run" on.
  • You can't choose whether to avoid random encounters or not.

Though it's not worth it if it comes with a bunch of other changes.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I haven't thought about NMA in a while. Or Fallout modding for that.
I'm personally not sure about all of the changes, I might give it a spin.
Though in my diverse replays the Teamx fixes are the only 'modifactions'
I've used. It was interesting to read about some of the modding ventures,
but it was always the original for me.

But... Being able to push Ian out of the way... :lol:

Last edited:

hexer

This also means they ditched the "Tell me about" button and answers... Unless they implemented all those via regular dialogues somehow.

I'm actually wondering if they brought back the super mutants invasion. Always wanted to play Fallout 1 with that event enabled.

Last edited by a moderator:

.Pixote.

Augur
"Tell me about" feature has been built...

Here is the current features/fixes changelog -

• Added: Fo1-styled red travel marker dots and terrain info when traveling on the worldmap.
  • Added: Mod - Resized Super Mutant flameboy death animations, originally by .Pixote.
  • Added: Mod - Fallout 1 interface mod. Replaces the Fallout 2 interface with the graphics from Fallout 1. This was originally a part of the fo1_base package, but is now its own thing for easier handling.
  • Added: Mod - First iteration of the german translation. All vanilla Fo1 core-dialogues are finished. Some of the new sentences aren't translated yet, and added dialog files from the old TeamX restoration mod, etc aren't translated yet either. Any help with finishing the translation is welcome!
  • Added: Mod - Classic Worldmap mod will now uncover and show locations the same way as in Fo1.
  • Added: Mod - Classic Worldmap special encounter blinking icon is now the same as in Fo1.
  • Added: Animations - Missing "exploded to nothing" / "Chunks of Flesh"-animations for rad scorpions (big and small).
  • Added: Animations - Missing running animation for female tribal NPC.
  • Added: Animations - Missing SMG idle animation for black metal armor dude.
  • Added: Animations - "Black" Combat Armor animations for the Brotherhood Armor. Works for players and party members. The style can be toggled on/off for Brotherhood NPCs in the fo1_settings.ini file.
  • Added: Animations - SMG and Pistol animations for "Yellow-Pants" metal armor woman.
  • Added: Animations - Rifle animations for Black Metal Armor Dude, because why not.
  • Added: Animations - Tycho-critter can now also use SMGs.
  • Added: Animations - Loser with black shirt animations (Unused for now).
  • Added: Animations - Black Man with black shirt animations (Unused for now).
  • Added: Fallout 2 dialog interface graphic with "Tell Me About"-button.
  • Added: Fo1-styled interface graphics for Sfall's "ActionPointsBar"-mode (increases visible action points on the interface from 10 to 16).
  • Added: German translated interface graphics for Sfall's "ActionPointsBar"-mode.
  • Added: Zones around the Glow read "Rad. Mountains" / "Rad. Desert" (can't show full text length right now).
  • Added: Being in encounter maps in the zones around the Glow will radiate the player a bit, not just the traveling on the worldmap.
  • Added: "Out of Business"-sign will appear outside of Darkwater's store after Killian has been assassinated.
  • Added: Except for the squad leader, all generic Brotherhood paladins in random encounters will wear helmets (makes it possible to identify the leader without having to click on everyone).
  • Added: If the player has more than 1 radscorpion tail, Razlo in Shady Sands can craft antidote from all of them at once.
  • Added: Razlo's kids will return correctly to their home after dark. Also tweaked their dialog so they won't say they don't know where their parents are if they are right next to them.
  • Added: Michael at the Brotherhood of Steel also gives out 7.62mm ammunition.
  • Added: TMA check runs through all typed words and returns a reply for the first valid keyword it finds.
  • Added: Using the punching bags will give a one-time +5% unarmed bonus (lifted from Fo2).
  • Added: Force Fields in the Master's Lair can be disabled by explosives.
  • Added: Vincent in the Cathedral will react to force fields being destroyed.
  • Added: The Cathedral prisoners will flee once the player has destroyed their force field(s).
  • Added: Morpheus in the Cathedral will attack the player if he sees him fiddling with his computer terminal.
  • Added: Wanted signs will show up in some locations if the player has been a bad boy.
  • Added: A fail-safe to the Vault 13 door, so that it is always closed before the endgame sequence starts.
  • Added: The locker used by the Water Thief in V13 will open and close on use.
  • Added: After joining, party members will face the player in dialog.
  • Added: The merchant in Shady Sands now gets his items from an off-screen container. Also changed his inventory a bit to make it less shitty.
  • Added: Lorri, the Brotherhood of Steel Doctor, is now watching her locker.
  • Added: Exploded traps in the Glow will leave a visible graphic.
  • Fixed: Sfall addition - The barter and combat control buttons in dialog would not have a clicking animation the first time they are pressed. This was a vanilla Fo2 bug.
  • Fixed: Sfall addition - Ocean tiles would not uncover fully to the map border.
  • Fixed: Missing "/" and "?" in english TMA keymap.
  • Fixed: Typing " " into the TMA input box would lock up the game.
  • Fixed: Can't use TMA anymore when talking to the Overseer in the endgame sequence.
  • Fixed: Dogmeat party member dialog ("use best weapon" and "use best armor") would print human replies.
  • Fixed: Broken worldmap mask tiles 18 and 19.
  • Fixed: Can't trade with gambling games related NPCs anymore.
  • Fixed: Dice girls won't float text anymore if the table has been closed due to tampering.
  • Fixed: Main title music now starts with the outro videos, not the credits screen.
  • Fixed: Missing Vault Suit armor type entry in party_armor.ini file.
  • Fixed: More Junktown NPCs won't respawn their caps on every map enter.
  • Fixed: Party member "abandon party" debug-spam.
  • Fixed: In the Master's Lair, the elevator door leading to the bomb can now be opened with an electronic lockpick.
  • Fixed: Regular Nightkins in the Master's Lair will not be deleted anymore together with the variable staff in the quarters when changing shifts.
  • Fixed: The Master now instantly gets moved to his correct position in the map and the player won't see the "teleport transition" anymore.
  • Fixed: The Master wouldn't talk to the player after Morpheus delivered him to the Lair.
  • Fixed: Talking to the Super Mutant Vats-Teams would crash the game because of missing / wrong dialog file.
  • Fixed: Painfield on elevation 1 in MBVATS12 map wasn't working.
  • Fixed: Mariposa Super Mutants now use the same disguise check as Cathedral Super Mutants (but they don't check for CoC badges unlike the Cathedral guards).
  • Fixed: Vincent and the mad scientists in the Cathedral will now correctly go about their daily work/sleep schedule.
  • Fixed: EXP exploit with doors in the Cathedral and Mariposa (locking/unlocking them).
  • Fixed: Using lockpick items on certain doors would crash the game.
  • Fixed: Tandi kidnapping timer works for real this time.
  • Fixed: If the player is armed, Shady Sands guards need to have sight on him before engaging in combat.
  • Fixed: Transparent egg issues with certain wall protos in Shady Sands buildings (E/W facing).
  • Fixed: The post-endgame hintbook now correctly sets all skills to maximum, all SPECIAL stats to 10, and hitpoints to 999/999 as it was originally intended.
  • Fixed: Razor will give the task to get weapons from the Gunrunners only once.
  • Fixed: Adytowner will only join the player against the Regulators AFTER showing the holodisk to Zimmerman or if the Blades are attacking.
  • Fixed: Regulators in Adytum have a maximum travel distance now.
  • Fixed: Tiny in Adytum won't mix his personal money into the trade inventory anymore.
  • Fixed: Guards in random encounters now have a maximum travel distance and won't run off into the sunset anymore.
  • Fixed: "Yellow-Pants" metal armor woman would spawn with weapons she can't use. Fixed in classic Rotators-style: Creating the missing animations instead of doing a simple script change. \o/
  • Fixed: Wrong dialog node in Lance dialog. He will now offer traveling to Shady Sands with the player.
  • Fixed: Vehicle potentially spawning inside the ocean.
  • Fixed: Traveling merchants will now remember their target destination after loading a savegame inside the encounter.
  • Fixed: Traveling from encounters to towns by NPCs could lock up the game.
  • Fixed: Traveling to Shady Sands or Raiders with Lance would end up in a black screen.
  • Fixed: Sometimes critters were spawning inside caravan scenery objects.
  • Fixed: Random mountain encounter would spawn pot container instead of gold items.
  • Fixed: Quack-encounter was spawning on hex 0.
  • Fixed: Ranger Perk encounter re-rolling was fucked up and inconsistent. Should now work correctly.
  • Fixed: Missing encounter table for northern city zones.
  • Fixed: Armor Destroy mod will correctly remove the armors from killed Bounty Hunters.
  • Fixed: Using the stealing-skill on Neal's urn would not check for players skill.
  • Fixed: Skum Pitt bar counter description text now changes after the player has stolen Neal's urn.
  • Fixed: Radiation distribution in The Glow is based on timer events now, which is not as fragile as the shitty map_update code.
  • Fixed: Exploit to use the Blue elevator in the Glow even without enabling the primary power first.
  • Fixed: Taking the Water Chip from Necropolis will not give negative karma if the water pump has been fixed before.
  • Fixed: Can't repeat Razor's dialog anymore after agreeing to get weapons from the Gunrunners. Might need some dialog tweaks in the future, so it won't look this lame.
  • Fixed: Sheriff Greene in the Hub will rotate back to his original direction after teleporting from Decker's hideout.
  • Fixed: Rhombus day/night schedule wasn't working correctly.
  • Fixed: It was possible to steal from Rhombus' locker without him reacting to it.
  • Fixed: Special Encounters will correctly disappear after leaving the map.
  • Fixed: Katja will correctly mark the Cathedral on the worldmap when talking about the Boneyard.
  • Fixed: Player wasn't looking in the right direction after switching maps in Vault 15.
  • Fixed: Killing the Hub Deathclaw on the worldmap would not remove it from its lair.
  • Tweaked: Doubled the karma penality for killing "good" critters.
  • Tweaked: Player stops moving when Kalnor denies entry into Junktown at night (prevents a possible graphic glitch).
  • Tweaked: Changed behavior of Neal at daytime (reacting to sound and spotting the player).
  • Tweaked: City raiders with desert eagles now have a slight chance to spawn with .44 revolver instead.
  • Tweaked: Encounter city map 2 and 3 slightly modified so the player won't spawn into a wall anymore.
  • Tweaked: Gizmo's corpse removal timer is now based on ddraw.ini setting "CorpseDeleteTime".
  • Tweaked: Position of the Deathclaw Lair has been moved a tad.
  • Tweaked: Reverted proto changes to 10mm AP, 10mm JHP, .44 Magnum JHP, 14mm AP, and .223 FMJ.
  • Tweaked: Slightly increased the scroll edges of the Cathedral tower maps.
  • Tweaked: Reduced general encounter chance.
  • Tweaked: The Gunrunners moat guard will now only return to his home position if the player enters the map (prevents the guard from blocking the bridge after reloading).
  • Tweaked: Wandering Blades are a lot less antsy now.
  • Tweaked: Gunrunners are a tad less antsy after the player took the weapons reward for himself.
  • Tweaked: Vehicle energy refill rate has been doubled.
  • Removed: Item proto files that either haven't been changed or still include deprecated Fo1 Fixt changes.
  • Removed: Vault 13 water flask and pump part items from Necropolis encounters.

hexer

Thanks! Lexx also confirmed to me at NMA they added back the super mutants invasion as an optional event.

Lexx

Cipher
I assume this also implements FO2's mechanical changes into FO1, like the new perks and the changes to how skills are calculated?

Perks are in, except for a few stupid ones that I have removed. Level cap is 21 so you probably won't see most of them either way.

Skills are calculated in the same way as in Fo1.

As others mentioned before, "Tell me about" has been recreated by us (said to be impossible), and even expanded upon. We also added in "impossible" stuff like red dots and terrain info to the worldmap.

Lexx

Cipher
I dunno men, it's already crashed twice in the span of five minutes for me. Both times entering/exiting Shady Sands. Anyone else having issues?

Do you get a memory error? If so, what does it say?

laclongquan

Arcane
SOLD!

Downloading as we speak~

NOTE: now to find the iso files in my HDD because boys, after two decades and several times getting rid of legacy of CD/DVD, I no longer have any of that. Still have F2 iso on HDD but F1 is hard

Cross

Arcane
You should add an option for using the FO2 method. The change to how skills were calculated was an improvement, making your attributes play a bigger role.

Lexx

Cipher
You should add an option for using the FO2 method. The change to how skills were calculated was an improvement, making your attributes play a bigger role.

Just delete the skills.ini file in /config/ and it'll use the Fo2 calculations. Personally I don't like it, though, because it dramatically changes the games difficulty. For example in Fo2 you start with a very high outdoorsman skill, while in Fo1 you don't, etc. stuff like that is influenced by the calculations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom