Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rock-Paper-Shotgun Top 50 RPGs on PC

Falksi

Arcane
Here's is one of my favorite lists, may it soothe your mind and stimulate your salvia production

1x can of kidney beans
1x can of chili beans in tomato sauce
1x can of chopped tomatoes
1x tablespoon of cumin
1x tablespoon of honey
1x teaspoon of salt
1x teaspoon of oregano
1x tablespoon pepper
500g minced beef
1x teaspoon of chili
3x large onions
5x cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of coriander

That looks lush. Will keep your gut in trim big time too.

Side serving of lightly cooked broccoli & bok choy.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Ah yes, Rock Paper Shotgun, prophets of global retardation. Remind me please what those schmucks didn’t like Underrail for?

Aemar

Arcane
Deus Ex positioned surprisingly high at 6
Same for System Shock 2 at 10
Fallout only at 28
Bloodlines only at 44
Diablo 3 instead of its predecessors
No mentions of Jagged Alliance 2, Gothic 2, Kingmaker, Underrail, any of the Might&Magic games, ToEE, Icewind Dale, Kingdom Come, Battle Brothers, SSI releases, Betrayal at Krondor, etc
Darkest Dungeon above Fallout and Ultima VII
Avernum instead of the Geneforge games
Six Ages instead of King of Dragon Pass

I won't even mention any of the shit games comprising three quarters of that list (well, it looks like I've already mentioned Darkest Dungeon and Diablo 3 though).

Harthwain

Magister
The Witcher 3
Could deliver a challenge if you are up for it,the game is not easy on higher difficulties.
The combat system in TW3 was so mediocre compared to Dark Souls (I think there were even YouTube videos discussing its problems) that I wasn't willing to make it more difficult by having to do more of the same. I am saying "more of the same", because enemies had more health and hit me for more and that was basically it. Kingdom Come: Deliverance had challenge baked into it systems and I liked it more overall, even the combat, although I am going to admit the control scheme made it feel clumsy and not very intuitive to chain attacks properly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The Witcher 3
Could deliver a challenge if you are up for it,the game is not easy on higher difficulties.
The combat system in TW3 was so mediocre compared to Dark Souls (I think there were even YouTube videos discussing its problems) that I wasn't willing to make it more difficult by having to do more of the same. I am saying "more of the same", because enemies had more health and hit me for more and that was basically it. Kingdom Come: Deliverance had challenge baked into it systems and I liked it more overall, even the combat, although I am going to admit the control scheme made it feel clumsy and not very intuitive to chain attacks properly.
You lost me when you compared it to the tumbling simulator lol. The most overhyped pile of garbage i had the misfortune to play.

Harthwain

Magister
You lost me when you compared it to the tumbling simulator lol. The most overhyped pile of garbage i had the misfortune to play.
It wasn't just me though. Everyone and their mother were comparing TW3 to DS when it was released, because the similarities were strikingly obvious. The difference was the execution, how responsive everything was, etc.

The reason I did is because in DS I couldn't simply mash a single button and deal with everything that way on a default difficulty (not NG or NG+), which at the very least necessitated caution and paying attention to combat. Just look at this:

And if you didn't like DS (in general), then I am surprised you liked this (on high difficulty):

Or this:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
. Everyone and their mother were comparing TW3 to DS
Stop wasting my time with your retarded shit dipshit! Anyone with a half a brain and few years of RPG experience here will know that what a thirperson action RPG is lol. Only retards like you that are ignorant will compare it to dark souls. Now fuck off cunt,go play your tumbling garbagebin simulator and leave me be to my enjoyment of better games like gothic 2!

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
Stop wasting my time with your retarded shit dipshit!
Who's the real retard here? It was you who brought up TW3 having "challenging" combat, so get fucked, eat your shit and don't whine to me about it tasting like shit.

Anyone with a half a brain and few years of RPG experience here will know that what a thirperson action RPG is lol. Only retards like you that are ignorant will compare it dark souls lol. Now fuck off cunt,go play your tumbling garbagebin simulator and leave me be to my enjoyment of better games like gothic 2! The Witcher 3!
There. Fixed.

Alphons

Cipher
Ah yes, Rock Paper Shotgun, prophets of global retardation. Remind me please what those schmucks didn’t like Underrail for?

Underrail, however, is not that game. It’s a bold attempt, but ultimately one that misses too many marks, and copies too many notes from the Bumper Book Of Frustrating RPG Design We Still Have To Put Up With For Some Reason.

Oddity system and world building
The idea is to encourage exploration with something less unnatural than “you need more xp, go stab rats”, and to ensure that players can advance through means other than playing Mata Piñata. You’d think, also, that it would be a great excuse to fill the world with flavour text, telling you about the beasties you’re fighting, the events that brought the world to this state, and the micro-societies whose members you’re repeatedly kicking in the nadgers. But Underrail doesn’t. It doesn’t really do anything.

Combat too hard, because I don't understand Initiative!1!
Even with all my perks devoted to doing damage and getting into positions to do more damage, there’s simply too much random luck involved. Status effects stacking up when you’re stabbing someone is great, but when you’re fighting three people who can also stunlock you for 2 or 3 turns, missing a single special attack or taking one bad hit spells practically guaranteed death. There are cooldown timers on everything too – stealth, medkits, even grenades for god’s sake – so while your options are arbitrarily limited, two enemies (and the very opening task has you fight several groups of – of fucking course – rats. Well, rathounds. So rats and wolves combined, because why limit yourself to one cliché? I look forward to the inevitable spidergoblin) can cycle their attacks, effortlessly immobilising, stunning and/or crippling you. Even on easy mode, too many fights come down to hoping that enemies will miss, against the odds.

Crawlers
One completely unannounced monster is stealthy (you can sometimes spot stealthy enemies if stealthed yourself and standing close. If you miss them… reload. Sometimes you can see them but still not attack them. Reload. Sometimes you can see them, attack them, and miss. Reload. Sensing a pattern?), with venomous attacks that also render you helpless.

There are people who enjoy Underrail, and I honestly envy them. I can’t call them wrong, because I can see the germ of something great in it.

No link to avoid getting them money.

I'm positively surprised by the list, considering the quoted parts of Underrail review above.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Ironic name for a bunch of leftist hipsters who believe in 'sensible gun legislation', even though I doubt a single one of them could tell the difference between a clip or a magazine without googling it first.

They should change their name to Rock Paper Soy. At least they could still keep their call letters.

Open Path

Learned
There's enough storyfaggortry in the list

You know that BaK is far more than storyfaggotry. Its tactical combat is very good and his exploration, skill sytem and itemizations are better than most story-centric games on that list.

Without story relevance -and things as the chapters design- BaK would continue to be a good game. Can we say the same with most modern story centric games?

Open Path

Learned
In regard the guys that defend this list as "not so bad for mainstream media", no, there was a true decline even by "mainstream media standards". 2020 list was a massive decline and the WORST list Rock Paper shotgun ever published:

Compare with their 2015 list:

1. Dark Souls
  2. Planescape: Torment
  3. Baldur’s Gate 2
  4. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  5. Utima VII
  6. Deus Ex
  7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  8. System Shock 2
  9. FTL: Faster Than Light
  10. Fallout
  11. Dragon Age: Origins
  12. Divinity: Original Sin
  13. Legend of Grimrock II
  14. Ultima Underworld II
  15. Dwarf Fortress
  16. Mass Effect 2
  17. Pillars of Eternity
  18. Zanbgand
  19. Vampire: Bloodlines
  20. NEO Scavenger
  21. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  22. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  23. Anachranox
  24. Fallout: New Vegas
  25. Avernum: Escape From The Pit
  26. UnReal World
  27. Din’s Curse
  28. ADOM
  29. Sunless Sea
  30. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  31. The Banner Saga
  32. Titan Quest
  33. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  34. Darkest Dungeon
  35. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
  36. Shadowrun Dragonfall Director’s Cut
  37. Wasteland 2
  38. Wizardry VIII
  39. Betrayal at Krondor
  40. Darklands
  41. Eye of the Beholder
  42. Brogue
  43. Torchlight 2
  44. Pool of Radiance
  45. Space Rangers 2
  46. Recettear: An Item’s Shop Tale
  47. Diablo II
  48. Risen
  49. Dungeon Master
  50. Hand of Fate

In 2015 list wasn't a jrpg invasion and they included Pool of Radiance, Betrayal at Krondor, Daggerfall, Unreal World, Ultima Underworld II, Darklands or Dungeon Master. Also Diablo II instead III, Morrowind & Daggerfall over Skyirim, Fallout or Deus Ex over Mass Effect 2, etc.

RPS 2015 list was actually good for mainstream media, this new one is extremely bad.

Syme

Arbiter
Strange to see Legend of Grimrock II in a rather decent mid-field spot when there's no Wizardry or Might and Magic to be found at all. Also strange to see the newer Final Fantasy games, yet none of the classics.

Syme

Arbiter
In regard the guys that defend this list as "not so bad for mainstream media", no, there was a true decline even by "mainstream media standards". 2020 list was a massive decline and the WORST list Rock Paper shotgun ever published:

Compare with their 2015 list:

1. Dark Souls
  2. Planescape: Torment
  3. Baldur’s Gate 2
  4. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  5. Utima VII
  6. Deus Ex
  7. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  8. System Shock 2
  9. FTL: Faster Than Light
  10. Fallout
  11. Dragon Age: Origins
  12. Divinity: Original Sin
  13. Legend of Grimrock II
  14. Ultima Underworld II
  15. Dwarf Fortress
  16. Mass Effect 2
  17. Pillars of Eternity
  18. Zanbgand
  19. Vampire: Bloodlines
  20. NEO Scavenger
  21. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  22. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  23. Anachranox
  24. Fallout: New Vegas
  25. Avernum: Escape From The Pit
  26. UnReal World
  27. Din’s Curse
  28. ADOM
  29. Sunless Sea
  30. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
  31. The Banner Saga
  32. Titan Quest
  33. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  34. Darkest Dungeon
  35. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
  36. Shadowrun Dragonfall Director’s Cut
  37. Wasteland 2
  38. Wizardry VIII
  39. Betrayal at Krondor
  40. Darklands
  41. Eye of the Beholder
  42. Brogue
  43. Torchlight 2
  44. Pool of Radiance
  45. Space Rangers 2
  46. Recettear: An Item’s Shop Tale
  47. Diablo II
  48. Risen
  49. Dungeon Master
  50. Hand of Fate

In 2015 list wasn't a jrpg invasion and they included Pool of Radiance, Betrayal at Krondor, Daggerfall, Unreal World, Ultima Underworld II, Darklands or Dungeon Master. Also Diablo II instead III, Morrowind & Daggerfall over Skyirim, Fallout or Deus Ex over Mass Effect 2, etc.

RPS 2015 list was actually good for mainstream media, this new one is extremely bad.

Yeah that one makes a bit more sense. My guess is that they probably replaced some of the 30+ straight white males with cheaper more diverse fresh-out-of-university hires during the past 5 years.

Funposter

Arcane

Current list would be fine if it were called something like 'The best RPGs to play on PC if you don't really like RPGs'

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I still cannot exactly wrap my head around the idea of including games like Darkest dungeon or Banner saga on a top 50 cRPG list. I think I like it better when they just Internet-research classic titles and mix them at random with cdp/bio/obsidian/Beth/etc games to look legit and knowledgeable.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And what the fuck is this 'Din's Curse' game? It looks like Diablo 2 remade by a team of 5-year-olds. This has to be some sort of joke.
Alright I'm curious about NEO Scavenger, Star Traders: Frontiers and SUNLESS SKIES. Any of those 3 worth buying?
Must hurt when the SJW journos of mainstream media clearly know more about good RPGs than your edgy ass.

Dude you are really naive person if you actually believe that there are people on RPS who made that list that they actually played trough all those games and didnt just name drop some less knows and well respected games for street cred.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Who the fuck would name-drop Din's Curse for street cred? Clearly they have a Diablo-like fan in the staff that also pushed for Titan Quest, PoE and Diablo 3.

On the other hand, no one there really cares for turn-based blobbers or tactical RPGs. It's a small group of people making a list, not a conspiracy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Stop wasting my time with your retarded shit dipshit!
Who's the real retard here? It was you who brought up TW3 having "challenging" combat, so get fucked, eat your shit and don't whine to me about it tasting like shit.

Anyone with a half a brain and few years of RPG experience here will know that what a thirperson action RPG is lol. Only retards like you that are ignorant will compare it dark souls lol. Now fuck off cunt,go play your tumbling garbagebin simulator and leave me be to my enjoyment of better games like gothic 2! The Witcher 3!
There. Fixed.
LoL butthurt retard,witcher 3 is 10 times better RPG than that shitty whanabe gothic clone lol. On other hand Gothic 2 is 10 times better than witcher 3,but you don't know that because you haven't played either of them. The fuck are you doing here ignorant faggot,got kicked out from reddit for microaggressions?!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Who the fuck would name-drop Din's Curse for street cred?
Anyone who managed to stumble upon it on the web and learn that it's not a well known, but well regarded hns? It's like a game custom made for street cred namedropping.

I think this list is just what happens when journos try to think. You get the standard best crpgs by best cRPG developers - Skyrim, witcher, fnv et al, but Wizardries, M&Ms or betrayals get replaced by Darkest dungeons, (semi)indie games that these people genuinely consider obscure, difficult titles for people in the know. They're probably right by their audience standards too.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Here's is one of my favorite lists, may it soothe your mind and stimulate your salvia production

1x can of kidney beans
1x can of chili beans in tomato sauce
1x can of chopped tomatoes
1x tablespoon of cumin
1x tablespoon of honey
1x teaspoon of salt
1x teaspoon of oregano
1x tablespoon pepper
500g minced beef
1x teaspoon of chili
3x large onions
5x cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of coriander

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom