Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

Psquit

Arcane
I played Yakuza 0 when it first came to PC and it turned out to be pretty much the best action RPG I've ever played. I enjoyed it more than words can describe. Unfortunately it was so good that when I tried Yakuza Kiwami it seemed like absolute shit to me. Are any of the other games in the series as good as 0?

You fucked yourself with starting with 0.

It's definitely the best and most polished Yakuza game out there.

FFS. welp I'll stick with 0 and watch the rest on youtube.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Sega really fucked up by making 0 the first release for PC. I don't know what they were thinking there. Then again I might have written the series off if I played Kiwami first. Who knows.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just checked the list of Yakuza games and it looks like there's been two since 0. Surely those are nearly as good if not better?

Modron

Arcane
I just checked the list of Yakuza games and it looks like there's been two since 0. Surely those are nearly as good if not better?
Yakuza 0 was the latest and greatest but in my opinion Kiwami 1 measures up as well. Kiwami 2 is pretty damn good but there is some growing pains in switching to the new engine in regards to combat variability with just not enough variety in ways of deploying heat moves.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Yakuza 0 was the latest and greatest but in my opinion Kiwami 1 measures up as well. Kiwami 2 is pretty damn good but there is some growing pains in switching to the new engine in regards to combat variability with just not enough variety in ways of deploying heat moves.

I was more referring to Yakuza 6 and Yakuza: Like a Dragon. I could borrow a ps4 to play those if they are worth it

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I can't say yet for Yakuza 7, but every game so far has been well worth playing. I personally like the Dragon Engine games better than 0.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I guess I'll give Kiwami another shot. Now that it's been a year or two since I played 0 the difference in quality might not seem as huge. I didn't think it was bad or anything when I played it before but 0 is definitely in my top 10 games of all time. Maybe even top 5. Hard to measure up to that.

Vaarna_Aarne

I can't say yet for Yakuza 7, but every game so far has been well worth playing. I personally like the Dragon Engine games better than 0.

Just curious, what did you like more about it?
In case of 6, I liked the core themes of the story. It does (so far) the most consistent and emotionally resonant story about Kiryu being a father and grandfather. I've liked all the stories in the series so far (except Fist of the North Star, but that's a spin-off hitting all of the source material bases and even then its original story elements are good stuff). I suppose in terms of pacing I like having just one protagonist more as well. And another thing 6 does quite well with Kiryu is that it does the reaction to his reputation even better. Korean Virgil et al who are a new generation of mobsters all know of him, and all of them think they can totally take him, only to soon realize "oh god he's even tougher than the rumours said." There's also in general a great feeling of time in 6. Kiryu really does feel old and that time has passed him by.

I also really like the way the Dragon Engine can present Kamurocho seamlessly (now it's quite rough sometimes in 6 due to them clearly not having gotten transparent objects like windows optimized completely, but it's overall a great feel, and by Judgment there isn't a single hitch or slowdown due to windows) and slide in and out of fights. The fights themselves also feel a lot more fluid. The core XP loop in all three of the Dragon Engine games (6, Kiwami 2, and Judgment) is also very addictive I find, getting into fights -> eating -> getting into fights (the main problem with this is that these games make me hungry, Asian food is delicious but expensive). It's a nice little feedback to the whole completionist angle of going through every establishment in Kamurocho, and that in turn leads to side stories, and so on.

Also worth noting that Judgment has one of the most hype final boss sequences and fights there is, in a series that's already a rare case of them landing without exception (in big part because only rarely do games go with mano-a-mano fistfight for climactic boss sequences, and in case of games that don't have dedicated hand-to-hand combat core the only one who pulls off temporary transition to a dramatic fistfight is Kojima).

Vaarna_Aarne

Dame da ne, dame yo dame na no yo

(though in all seriousness, Solid Snake singing Machine Gun Kiss might top the chart)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Pre-order purchase bonuses (manga, wallpapers, avatars) for Zero and Kiwami are now available for everyone. Plus, they added alternative (animated) covers for your Steam library: https://steamcommunity.com/games/638970/announcements/detail/1691603624426145362

More from the Best of Japan Sale

Enjoy your animated library art and deluxe edition upgrades!
In celebration of SEGA’s Best of Japan titles, we have a small gift for our Yakuza fans - custom animated library art that you can use in your Steam libraries!

On top of that, everyone that has purchased the standard edition of Yakuza 0 or Yakuza Kiwami will be upgraded to the Deluxe Edition.

Your new Deluxe Edition content, including the alternate library art, is located in the game folder in your Steam library –

To do this right click the game in your library and click on Properties
Go to the local files tab, and then browse local files

fffde20763e5eb89e0c8c03217b28098f286f35a.png

You'll find them under your "EXTRAS" folder as "LIBRARY ASSETS"

Now, to update your library tiles and banners, just follow the steps below!

1. Go to the title in your library and right click the banner – or to the tile you want to change.

3e60fd425b2a1bac48ab2c40ec00b733458a8ad4.png

a6850002955195d439fdffa51a45b4199ae358d4.png

2. Go to the folder where your Steam folder is – and make your way to the LIBRARY ASSETS folder under EXTRAS
64f48aa0ac00f733a5f4040b8bc578d362d00646.png

3. Enjoy your new animated banner!

22319eda13cfc8dcde5767fbf22ad18c794cb63b.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a shame what they are doing with Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

NG+ and hardest difficulty will be sold as DLC. The Yakuza Team is one of my favorite studios around, but that is a very shitty move. As much as I love the series, I can't turn a blind eye to the greed. Most likely, I won't buy the game day one.

Terra

Cipher
It's a shame what they are doing with Yakuza: Like a Dragon.

NG+ and hardest difficulty will be sold as DLC. The Yakuza Team is one of my favorite studios around, but that is a very shitty move. As much as I love the series, I can't turn a blind eye to the greed. Most likely, I won't buy the game day one.
Wow, how the fuck are they justifying this?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom