Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As far as the visuals in TOW, I thought they were pretty good for the most part. It's the gameplay and especially the balance that are mediocre.

Yeah, graphics whores are annoying. The game looked fine. Especially once you turned blur and chromatic aberration off in the ini file. A little cartoony for some tastes maybe, but video games look best when not trying to look super real, IMO.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Wut? Metro Exodus was shit. Last Light was better and that's not exactly a compliment. The series sucks. Can't believe they made it to the 3rd game.

There's no way you've actually played Metro Exodus. That much is obvious. Either that or you just hate the genre.
I played it. I wish I hadn't. Anyway I'm done with this series. It's true, not my preferred genre but from the promo material and after playing Last Light I thought that it might actually be good. Yeah, it wasn't.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Good news , Physical release of the switch gonna have the cartridge now! Bad news, due the corona virus , the port was delayed.

Update;

Good news , the team at Virtuos is ok.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No surprises here. :cool: I wonder whether that figure factors in Game Pass somehow. I'm guessing that it doesn't and that those 2 million are almost entirely on console and mostly on PS4. Earnings call transcript should be out soon.

The Real Fanboy

wow that's way more than I expected

I'm not sure if you can find it in here but this is the report:
https://ir.take2games.com/node/26586/pdf

giphy.gif

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
No surprises here. :cool: I wonder whether that figure factors in Game Pass somehow. I'm guessing that it doesn't and that those 2 million are almost entirely on console and mostly on PS4. Earnings call transcript should be out soon.

One really has to wonder what the sales numbers would have been without Gamepass, but then being a Microsoft company now I guess Gamepass is even more important to MS now. Either way, I hope this means we get a higher budget and broader scope Outer Worlds: New Vegas someday.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

wow that's way more than I expected

I'm not sure if you can find it in here but this is the report:
https://ir.take2games.com/node/26586/pdf

:deathclaw:

I don't see where those 2 million came from. The report says how much was the net revenue and which game they had launched. Nowhere says how much they had sold or made. So i call bullshit on that. The game came only to EPIC and their chart show that it sold around 500 copies. The microsoft shit doesn't count as sales because it is a subscription. Some retard screeching on twatter doesn't make it real lol.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
These sales numbers are surely going to magically make Obsidian's writing better in TOW2.

I mean.. They could hire better writers.

edit: im not optimistic, just saying thats possible. I myself doubt that they would change their writters now...

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sold in means shipped, sold through means sales to actual people.

I guess it's "good" but it's no Fallout killer. :M

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sold in means shipped, sold through means sales to actual people.

I guess it's "good" but it's no Fallout killer. :M

Well, new title vs a franchise that has been around for 20+ years... I think Obsidian has reasons to be happy about TOW.

If they play their cards well, they might get a solid franchise out of it. Right now the worldbuilding is kinda thin and writing barely adequate, but if they improve... who knows?

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Improve the systems - itemization and character development and I would be satisfied enough.

Terenty

Liturgist
Right now the worldbuilding is kinda thin and writing barely adequate, but if they improve... who knows?

Why would they improve writing and worldbuilding though? They are a success with those "writers" they have now and every fucking braindead journo praised the writing, so there's nothing to improve from their point of view.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's the transcript: https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...nteractive-software-inc-ttwo-q3-2020-ear.aspx

Highlights are the performance of Grand Theft Auto Online and Grand Theft Auto V, NBA 2K20, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online, The Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3, reflecting our ability to deliver some of the most captivating experiences in the entertainment industry.

On October 25, Private Division launched The Outer Worlds for Xbox One, Playstation 4 in PC. Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, The Outer Worlds has significantly exceeded our expectations and has sold in more than 2 million units to date. Critical response to the game has been outstanding, and The Outer Worlds has won more than 75 awards, including Game of the Year from the New York Video Game critic circle and Destructoid and Best RPG of the Year from IGN, Shakenews, Gamerex and others.

The title is also a finalist for the DICE awards outstanding achievement and story and the RPG of the year. We're confident that The Outer Worlds will continue to expand its audience, including through its release on the Nintendo Switch, which is now planned for fiscal 2021.

In fiscal 2021, Private Division will expand our offerings for the Nintendo Switch with the release of the outer worlds. As Strauss noted earlier, the title is incredibly well received by critics and consumers alike on its original launch platforms. And we are confident that we'll continue to thrill audiences as they immerse themselves in this player of choice-driven RPG on the switch.

Private Divisions is another example of our growing investment in new intellectual property. This year, we benefited from the exceptional performance of The Outer Worlds.

The increase is driven by higher expectations for Grand Theft Auto Online, including record recurrent consumer spending on the title, Grand Theft Auto V and The Outer Worlds, partially offset by reduced expectations for Borderlands 3 and recurrent consumer spending on NBA 2K.

The largest contributor to net bookings are expected to be NBA 2K20 and NBA 2K19, Grand Theft Online and Grand Theft Auto V, Borderlands 3, Red Dead Redemption 2 and Red Dead Online, The Outer Worlds and Sid Meier's Civilization VI.

Andrew Uerkwitz -- Analyst

Got it. And then just -- just a kind of higher level question. I think Outer Worlds was on Microsoft Xbox game pass. Do you think that helped or hurt the success of that franchise?

Strauss H. Zelnick -- Executive Chairman And Chief Executive Officer

It's hard to say. I think what we've said all along is that, generally speaking, we want to be where the consumer is. Generally speaking, we think subscription offerings to the extent they exist, are probably better suited to catalog, but we're willing to take experimental chances when it makes sense for a particular title and when the deal underlying that option also makes sense for us. And we're pleased that we have a great partnership with Microsoft, and we're mostly pleased that the title is such a big hit, it's sold in more than 2 million units and it's won 75 game awards. So it's early days for all of these platforms. It's obviously early days for many technologies, including streaming technology. Our goal is to be where the consumer is. We're ecumenical and we're open minded.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Here's the transcript: https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-...nteractive-software-inc-ttwo-q3-2020-ear.aspx

On October 25, Private Division launched The Outer Worlds for Xbox One, Playstation 4 in PC. Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, The Outer Worlds has significantly exceeded our expectations and has sold in more than 2 million units to date. Critical response to the game has been outstanding, and The Outer Worlds has won more than 75 awards, including Game of the Year from the New York Video Game critic circle and Destructoid and Best RPG of the Year from IGN, Shakenews, Gamerex and others.

The title is also a finalist for the DICE awards outstanding achievement and story and the RPG of the year. We're confident that The Outer Worlds will continue to expand its audience, including through its release on the Nintendo Switch, which is now planned for fiscal 2021.
It sounds very fake and pushy,like an oily salesman. It is most likely including the EPIC's promised 1 millions sold copies and around a million of Microsoft's 1 buck thingy.

In the end,a good performance is good thing for us...maybe,they own the rights but not the studio,thus they will either make sequel with a better studio or make another similar game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom