Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo IV

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Nothing to see. Just another portrayal of Blizzard having completely lost the touch with the franchise and their audience.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I hear the other demon slaying game is going to change the standard for more than its own genre. Doom Eternal will probably make Diablo 4 crap its diaper for years to come.

DraQ

Arcane
86566713.jpg

:hmmm: hell rakanishu.

i already used 2 socket quests :rage:

mission: get to hell ch 5 to socket shako for hork barb

or maybe stop here. i used a ssf 2 axe wielding barb to hork a shako. any other achievement by any class pales in comparison.

i also got titans from nm andy and herald of zakarum from eldritch and thundergod from random scrub :lol: stupid barb :lol:

yet i cannot for fuck find a decent weapon for myself so i use upgradedgarbag like this

86566718.jpg

which at least provides me with over 9000 attack rating.

update

the ride never ends

86567713.jpg

this is at same time luckiest and unluckiest barb ever.

I ALSO FOUND GULL
GAME BROKEN I GIVE UP I AM NOT MF SORC WTF
Diablo II: Abridged Version.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Some of the armor looks flamboyant but still something that looks like it's physically possible in reality. Plus, what you see there is only the top tier armor so it kinda makes sense. It's very different from the armor in WOW, which D3 also had.

What do you think of Rod Fergusson joining. Is this a good thing?

Shadenuat

Arcane
anyone joining anywhere means little in the corporate world as proved many times; recently by Outer Worlds. what matters is vision.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem with Blizzard Irvine is that they are SO used to WoW that they can't do anything different. When some people criticized cooldowns, a dev awsnered that they don't wanna the ability to summon ancients to be "spammed" as if cooldowns are the unique way to limit the usage of powerful skills... They probably don't even know how to make a more Diablo style armor design.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
The problem with Blizzard Irvine is that they are SO used to WoW that they can't do anything different. When some people criticized cooldowns, a dev awsnered that they don't wanna the ability to summon ancients to be "spammed" as if cooldowns are the unique way to limit the usage of powerful skills... They probably don't even know how to make a more Diablo style armor design.

I don't know, to me the D4 armor looks like it comes from the same lineage as this, not WOW, which was the case for D3.

288063-diablo-ii-render.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Armor doesn't need to be 100% historically accurate to be gorgeous

Faraam set on DS2

xFaraam_Set.jpg

At least some of the armor in Diablo 3 was good looking. The one they're putting here are just uglier.

Name one. Because i HATED d3 artstyle in every aspect. Not only armor. The necromancer looks more like a jrpg protagonist than a necromancer...

But the worst is mechanic wise, imagine a master necromancer lecturing his students and saying

"When i faced the skeleton king, i used the siphon blood and drained all blood from the skeleton. Was not hard, only took a long time because i had't a big and sharp axe, so the damage that i could inflict when i casted siphon blood was much lower than nowdays that i got this big and sharp axe"

------------

Diablo armor looks more like this

iu

Than a actual armor. Seriously. Look to D3's armor
iu

Diablo 3 Necromancer basically looks like Diablo 2 Necromancer, which is like some '80s '90s comic book thing which is what a lot of Blizzard stuff looks like. You could say he's gaudier in D3, but the bone armor with big bone shoulder pads are right out of D2, and his other armors more or less fall in line with that.

Sykar

Arcane
Diablo 3 Necromancer basically looks like Diablo 2 Necromancer, which is like some '80s '90s comic book thing which is what a lot of Blizzard stuff looks like. You could say he's gaudier in D3, but the bone armor with big bone shoulder pads are right out of D2, and his other armors more or less fall in line with that.

But that is as gaudy as it would get. Meanwhile in D3:
BonesofRathma.jpg

Because MORE is better than LESS and AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE is better than MORE!

Necromancer.gif

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Faraam set on DS2
[/spoiler]

I'm glad you brought up Dark Souls because I think it has a lot in common with Diablo, especially visually.

Yes, I do think Diablo is supposed to be more realistic and that armor is a great example but I don't think this specific comparison is fair because aside from the first picture from each set, what Blizzard linked was likely high tier armor while the armor you linked is early-mid tier armor.

A more fair comparison for the armors linked would be the Havel Set, which wouldn't look out of place even in Diablo 3. In order for Diablo 4 to look and feel realistic the most important thing is to make the early and mid tier armors look realistic, just like Dark Souls did. If they do this the armor as a whole will feel realistic because it would be armor a real knight would actually wear.

havelb.jpg

The first armor sets from the three links are quite realistic, or at least something that could exist in real life, if you stretch the limits of reality a bit (which Diablo always did). They wouldn't feel out of place in Dark Souls or the Witcher. The first Druid armor looks like something out of Witcher 3, which is considered to be realistic fantasy. Even the high tier armors look like they would fit as high tier Dark Souls armor, and that's a good thing.

EJ62y7AW4AAj9dV

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
A more fair comparison for the armors linked would be the Havel Set, which wouldn't look out of place even in Diablo 3. In order for Diablo 4 to look and feel realistic the most important thing is to make the early and mid tier armors look realistic, just like Dark Souls did. If they do this the armor as a whole will feel realistic because it would be armor a real knight would actually wear.

Havel set is unrealistic BUT
  • No open parts
  • The areas that needs more "articulations" has less armor
  • Is rarely used mainly on PvP because offers little mobility
  • Is often used by guys with SUPERHUMAN physical attributes
Completely different than the carnavalesque design of D3.

Also, you have SOME sets that are ludicrous on dark souls. On wow/d3, every piece of armor is awful.

OctavianRomulus

Learned

Havel set is unrealistic BUT
  • No open parts
  • The areas that needs more "articulations" has less armor
  • Is rarely used mainly on PvP because offers little mobility
  • Is often used by guys with SUPERHUMAN physical attributes
Completely different than the carnavalesque design of D3.

Also, you have SOME sets that are ludicrous on dark souls. On wow/d3, every piece of armor is awful.

That was my point. As long as the early to mid-tier armor sets are realistic or at least close to realistic, they can get more crazy with the higher tier armor, which are very different from D3. They look more like Dungeons and Dragons armor.

The D3 art is very good but inappropriate for D3. That's why people hate it but the quality is there. I've come to like it over the years but it didn't look like Diablo.

Finally, more flamboyant armor did exist in real life and was rare. Legendary and Unique items are rare in Diablo 4 so the way they look does make sense. Have a look. These were actually used in combat, not ceremonial afaik. Nothing on the level of D3 but you get the point.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-weirdest-and-fiercest-helmets-from-the-age-of-armor-510686611

QGygkau.png

xLUKXbJ.png

hjeUShX.png

Last edited:

Nathir

Liturgist
That's actually what you would find in Dark Souls, but never in D3.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
That's actually what you would find in Dark Souls, but never in D3.

The sets in Diablo 3 are a mixed bag. This one is quite great imo and it wouldn't be out of place in Dark Souls at all.. Wish it had more realistic-ish armors like this. D4 probably will though.

DmxJcqnU4AA3Gol.jpg:large

vonAchdorf

Arcane
WoW itself is doing fine:

World of Warcraft® exited 2019 with an active player community more than twice the size of its Q2-ending level.

(Not claiming that the Classic boon will be super sustainable.)

OctavianRomulus

Learned
WoW itself is doing fine:

World of Warcraft® exited 2019 with an active player community more than twice the size of its Q2-ending level.

(Not claiming that the Classic boon will be super sustainable.)

WoW is on life support will not save Blizzard and they know it. Classic is really just a case of a pallitative patient that feels better for a while. It will not last. If Diablo 4 fails they are history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom