Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Btw for anyone who is familiar with the AP... is there a city?
The adventure starts in a city, yes.

Nice to know. Kingmaker had no city hub. And honestly I never felt the lack of it (even if I thought I would). But a real city full of quests could be nice?

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Lacrymas

Arcane
i hate symphonic orchestra. that vile thing has no place in an rpg
Тhe ironic part is that it depends very much on the orchestra whether it or samples are going to sound better. If the orchestra are playing sloppily because it's not something they want to play, samples will sound better lol. The point of using an orchestra is first for tone quality and second for interpretation. These musics don't really benefit from interpretation because there's nothing there to interpret, it's pretty straightforward all the way through. As for tone quality, there's a study that shows 60ish% of people with "low sound-discrimination expertise" (it's not a good study tbh) can tell the difference between well-prepared samples of high quality and an orchestra. However, that group includes musicians who are not composers/conductors/orchestra players and non-musicians, so it's on shaky grounds. The piece is also Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, a very richly orchestrated masterpiece and includes techniques which are notoriously hard to sample and make sound good/not artificial.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Well, I can tell you that. In Soviet Union classic music, musical education and all stuff symphonic were actively promoted by the state. They were well financed, and the jobs of musicians were considered prestigious. The government thought of it as of the Soviet ideological response to Western degenerative jazz, rock'n'roll and other genres. Song writers stole Western motives for sure, but the classic music stood strong.

If during 30 years after USSR those schools, techniques and traditions are at least somehow preserved, then Owlcat can find really good orchestra, especially in Moscow.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Some of these stretch goals are bullshit.

"New class - Warpriest", "New class - Skald". What the fuck, these two things require almost no effort

Bruh that's nothing... FYI Soyer had the pirate-themed feat stretch goal (yes, a single feat)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Aktshually, it starts with you basically waking up in a cave that you spend half the first chapter getting out of. In the AP technically your characters are in a city for a celebration, but that doesn't happen "on-screen" in the AP the way it's written.

Given how much Owlcat changed Kingmaker's intro, though - that AP starts with you arriving at Oleg's, IIRC - I expect you'll have time in Kenabres before the shit goes down.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Aktshually, it starts with you basically waking up in a cave that you spend half the first chapter getting out of. In the AP technically your characters are in a city for a celebration, but that doesn't happen "on-screen" in the AP the way it's written.

Given how much Owlcat changed Kingmaker's intro, though - that AP starts with you arriving at Oleg's, IIRC - I expect you'll have time in Kenabres before the shit goes down.
You are correct on both accounts, of course. The Kingmaker AP starts the players right outside Oleg's with a letter from the Swordlors establishing their mission. Everything in the intro was made by Owlcat, and I'm sure they'll do something similar here.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron

You are correct on both accounts, of course. The Kingmaker AP starts the players right outside Oleg's with a letter from the Swordlors establishing their mission. Everything in the intro was made by Owlcat, and I'm sure they'll do something similar here.
The intro to Kingmaker was pure incline compared to the AP, and a decent enough tutorial on top of that. I'm sure they'll do something quality for this game.

Yosharian

Arcane
Back in the day I played D&D with this group who liked to be "creative" in combat. A battle would start and instead of making attack rolls they would say "I stab the orc in the eye." The DM would have them roll a dex check or something and then conclude "You stabbed the orc, it dies." WTF? The combat system implies everyone is trying to kill each other as best they can, that's what attack rolls and AC and HP are for.

If you're just going to ignore the combat system, you are playing the wrong RPG. That poster Alex hates math because it ruins his game of Let's Pretend. That's totally fine, he's free to play a game with less restrictive rules. But then his criticism of saves and advantage/disadvantage is dumb. There are games which boil combat down into 1-2 skill checks, go ahead and play those. Complaining D&D combat rules are unrealistic usually belies an ignorance of those rules.

Reading books and learning rulesets is hard.
I like to mix up using the combat layer (i.e. the 'rules') and from time to time just having 'Let's Pretend' moments. It can speed up the game. Broadly speaking, I agree that the combat layer should be used for meaningful fights.

As an example, if the group is sneaking and comes across a lone guard, I might allow them to have a 'let's pretend' moment as you say it. I might not necessarily break out initiative for every single fight, is what I'm saying.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Back in the day I played D&D with this group who liked to be "creative" in combat. A battle would start and instead of making attack rolls they would say "I stab the orc in the eye." The DM would have them roll a dex check or something and then conclude "You stabbed the orc, it dies."

Sounds absolutely horrible.

Kingmaker had no city hub.

Pure incline. City hubs are a way for devs to skimp out on making good gameplay. Look at PoE 2, virtually bereft of content because they put all of their resources on the crutch that is Neketaka.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cope. The fact that people have been made to stoop to shilling is still what it is. "B-but it's the least cancerous..." So you admit it is cancerous, yet are still willing to partake?
Not really. I don't have any social media accounts. I'll just let other convenient idiots do the heavy lifting.
It might seem like a clever plan, until Owlcat tailors their next games to the furry whales with social media accounts who shilled the most to get their fetish inserted in said game.

Once you let the cancer in, you can't get rid of it until you cut it out.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Looks like the rough totals still needed for each social media goal are:

2300 more instagram followers
700 more retweets
4000 more twitch followers
3000 more twitter followers
1600 more discord followers
6500 more KS backers
??? more YouTube followers (we'll see what the new goal is)
And this is how fans become social media shills.

All dignity has been traded for sucking le cock of an anticipated game. The furries are just the icing on the cock.
If you think there was any true dignity involved in being a gamer in the first place, you might need to prepare yourself for some shocking news. :P
There are levels of indignity, man.

And play is not shameful or indignified, rather it is natural.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Could someone of prestigious gentlefoxes explain me what's so special about "Symphonic Orchestra"? How the OST for Kingmaker was made? Was it all made on synthesizers?
Most music in games is made with samples (sometimes from actual orchestras) in programs like Sibelius or Cubase. If the samples are good enough, it's pretty hard for a layman to tell the difference either way, especially with how simple this kind of music usually is, so I'd say it's just a marketing trick. It depends on the orchestration, really, if it's masterful it's more difficult to mask samples in Cubase.
Spellforce 3 did had a really fucking amazing music!
Suck music really makes my dick hard! Do hope that kingmaker gets some epic shit for the bosses.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Spellforce 3 did had a really fucking amazing music!
Suck music really makes my dick hard! Do hope that kingmaker gets some epic shit for the bosses.

How did the game end up being? I never got around to playing it.
Great actually,one of my favourites from the last few years. The writing is top tier,one of the best from the last decade,if not the best. The story is interesting and so are the characters,the RPG elements are also pretty good with quests and such. The strategy part is kind off ok,but as a whole the game is great,would recommend it whole heartedly.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Donations have slowed down. Should be slow and steady from here on out.
I see that the most important part was achieved,we will get a prestigious beard pack :obviously:!
As for banging the queen,meh i am more interested in killing the old hag and taking the throne for meself. It is no wonder that the fags can't kill a bunch of demons and take their land back,they fallow a female lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom