Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Oh great! Kickstarter comments have turned into favela fight over financial and moral duty for Owlcats to translate game into Portuguese. Aaand now Brazzilians in comments have switched from english to their tongue, split into warring factions and every third comment is written in increasingly angry Portuguese.Typical RPG Kickstarter Day 8th :?

They should just learn english.

It'd be very odd for me to play game translated to finnish.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Which is much better than catering for stupid Latinos.

I'm used to talking to people, not to uneducated animals that bite and attack without provocation, which is what you're doing.

So I request you, that if you talk to me again, you do it without biting or barking. Thank you.
Oh, cry me a river.
I'll translate that to Russian for you too: Oh, Crimea river.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
how do we make sure Owlcat is uncorrupted for the years to come?

Make sure they stay small and humble. As soon as any studio gets big enough they'll sell out to the casuals and strip away any mechanic to appeal to them. Also the less people who play their games the less people there are to complain.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Time-limited decisions are gone too - apperently players absolutely hated them.

l o l
We come one step closer to decline every day. I can't even imagine what gaming will be like in 20 years. They will probably put a feature on Steam where it just gives you all the achievements and even 1000 hours played because "there's nothing wrong with giving people choices"

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Time-limited decisions are gone too - apperently players absolutely hated them.

l o l
We come one step closer to decline every day. I can't even imagine what gaming will be like in 20 years. They will probably put a feature on Steam where it just gives you all the achievements and even 1000 hours played because "there's nothing wrong with giving people choices"
I can see people getting frustrated with everything in Kingmaker being on a timer but I thought it gave a great sense of urgency when normally the main plot of an RPG conveys fake urgency with no consequences for ignoring it (BG2, POE, POE2, etc).
I don't think they should do away with it completely even if they take away the global main-plot timer, have a few certain main and side quests be time-sensitive at least.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
People can't handle choice. It's up to the developers to force the player to play the game properly. Given the chance, every player will take the one hit sword and take all the fun out of the game. We need strong developers who are confident in their vision and are willing to enact their will upon us. We are all weak and stupid and need a strong guiding hand. Strength in a game should be earned through hard work and proper planning, never given easily.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
upload_2020-2-11_23-12-45.png

What the fuck? Someone tell Tom Senior "PoE" stands for Pillars of Eternity.

S.torch

Arbiter
Also Deadfire translations

Just because you found a bad official translation, it doesn't necessarily relate with the difficulty of translating something. Tyranny unlike Pillars of Eternity had a good translation, even though this was a smaller game in size and scope.

But let's take that aside, your whole argument centres on: making good translations costs a lot of effort, and a lot of money. However, there are countless RPGs that have been translated by fans with excellent results in small frames of time. If literally one tiny group of people can translate a game for free, out of simple goodwill, what is stopping a company, not for free, but with payment included to do a good translation? It's one thing that they can't and it's another that they don't want to.

So, while no company is forced to make any translation to any language, there is also no reason to try to sell that a company with the money in the hand is uncapable, instead of unwilling, to translate it to another language.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
It's one thing that they can't and it's another that they don't want to.
Yeah well I could say the same about youse guys what wants the translation to French or Por-chinese or what have ya, like how come alls youse don't just learn to talk English good? It's one thing to say you can't and another that you don't want to. Like hey smart guy if youse're so smart how comes youse don't just learn English then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom