Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Yosharian

Arcane
Bestow grace works. It has an effect though I am not sure it applies the correct bonus (you still get something).
I tried using it, my paladin gave it to my high charisma bard and bard got no bonus to saves.

I think maybe the issue it's it doesn't stack with other bonuses to saves... My slayer had low will and got something there but not on reflex and fortitude, so YMMV, but you could still get something.
That's a bug because it's supposed to grant a sacred bonus to all saves, AFAIK there are no items in the game that grant a sacred bonus to saves

Blessed Plate grants a sacred bonus but it's only against compulsion/poison (granted compulsion is probably one of the worst ones) and you would never see that bonus in your character sheet anyway

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I will finally be playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker soon, I just have one question. If you have many character builds you'd like to try, how do you reconcile that with the fact that the game apparently takes about 100 hours to play through, with quite a bit of that spent under level 10? Do you only run specific chapters or just reroll like crazy and finish the game on the character build you like the most?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I will finally be playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker soon, I just have one question. If you have many character builds you'd like to try, how do you reconcile that with the fact that the game apparently takes about 100 hours to play through, with quite a bit of that spent under level 10? Do you only run specific chapters or just reroll like crazy and finish the game on the character build you like the most?
You ask around for build ideas. Or choose the class that you like the most. In my case, I like monks; therefore I play monks.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't lack build ideas, I would just like to prototype them in a reasonable amount of time.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Well.... There is a meme among PF:K players that they keep finishing the first chapter and then rerolling... I've failed to launch several times on my latest "playthrough" I beat the first chapter unfair with dex monk rerolled into firebender and then am currently playing a strength monk (on just hard).

You ask around for build ideas. Or choose the class that you like the most. In my case, I like monks; therefore I play monks.

Do I really need dragon style? Why not take crane style instead? How much damage does dragon give and how much AC do you get from crane?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>Do I really need dragon style?
Yes. STR monk benefits greatly from Power Attack + Dragon Ferocity synergy.

>Why not take crane style instead?
Because you can only have one style active. I don't know about you, but I don't like wasting feats. Besides I'd rather choose one style, and dedicate my entire build around it.

>How much damage does dragon give
Dragon style adds 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus on an unarmed damage roll, within each first unarmed strike in a round. Dragon ferocity(The upgraded version of dragon style), increases the strength bonus on an unarmed strike damage roll by an additional one-half your Strength bonus, to a total of double your strength bonus on the first attack and 1-1/2 times your Strength bonus on the other attacks. Power Attack then further increases it by 1-1/2 times your Strength modifier on damage roll. In short, you're basically doing a lot of damage. If you don't like the dragon style + power attack synergy, then you can always go for pummeling style. But the pummeling style build doesn't go online until later in the game.

>how much AC do you get from crane?
No clue. I don't use crane style. Nor do I build around it. None of my unfair monk builds use that style. No need for it.

Last edited:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Guys. Quick question. I'm in the Pitax chapter - just finished the Rushlight tournament - and I've been exploring the Thousand Voices. In a location called Castle of Knives I ran into some priest of Suramgamin who made me go through a trial. I sucessed, and he told me to find some unicorn dude in the Temple of the Elk, initiating the "Secrets of Suramgamin" quest.

It's not until a few hours later, as I went through the journal, that I noticed that the quest had been marked as failed. I went to the Temple of the Elk, and couldn't find the unicorn. My guess is that I ran into some bug, and the quest is now unfinishable because I went through the trial before I was supposed to.

So, now the question is... how screwed am I? Would I just miss some XP and magical items that came as rewards for the quest, or was this one of the main quests and I'm now stuck in an unwinnable situation where my only option is to load the backup save I made some 4 hours ago?

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not a main quest, so not a huge deal. Its somewhat interesting, in that it's a multi-part quest that forces you to do timed travels across your kingdom. The rewards are a so-so helmet and a so-so unique spell, exclusive to good clerics.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Guys. Quick question. I'm in the Pitax chapter - just finished the Rushlight tournament - and I've been exploring the Thousand Voices. In a location called Castle of Knives I ran into some priest of Suramgamin who made me go through a trial. I sucessed, and he told me to find some unicorn dude in the Temple of the Elk, initiating the "Secrets of Suramgamin" quest.

It's not until a few hours later, as I went through the journal, that I noticed that the quest had been marked as failed. I went to the Temple of the Elk, and couldn't find the unicorn. My guess is that I ran into some bug, and the quest is now unfinishable because I went through the trial before I was supposed to.

So, now the question is... how screwed am I? Would I just miss some XP and magical items that came as rewards for the quest, or was this one of the main quests and I'm now stuck in an unwinnable situation where my only option is to load the backup save I made some 4 hours ago?
The quest is optional. It's not going to make or break your game. Continue through the game. All you get out of it is some lore stuff, item, and some spell.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure it's a bug, that quest is timed (not sure abut the 1st stage).

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I checked my last autosave, which was right before I left the Castle of Knives map, and the quest was already marked as failed then. So I'm reasonably sure it IS a bug. Might do some more tests later.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well you brought this on yourself by making this combination of characters. Get different party members and you will need to buff less. Like get one Bard and get Good Hope, that one replaces all the Heroisms. Just cast it while having Extend Rod active. You don't need half these buffs. No need for blurs, reduce or enlarge person, shield of faith does not stack with deflection rings, barkskin does not stack with natural armor amulets, cat's and bull's don't stack with items that give those stats. Bestow Grace is I think bugged and does not work at all.
Of course i brought this on myself, for sure my doctor didn't asked me to play Kingmaker and overbuff. And of course with different party members you need to buff less, but what's the point? I am not saying that the game is unplayable, I am saying that, without the mod, if you want/need to buff this much, you need to waste a considerable amount of time.

"You don't need half these buffs", what?
Blur is amazing, you get to ignore 1/5 of the attacks directed to you. I always want Blur active on melee characters, except for when I know I am going to cast Displacement on them.
On the right character, Reduce Person means +2 to hit and +2 to AC, without any drawback (if all the damage comes from sneak attack, your weapon damage is negligible).
Enlarge Person gives you a better damage roll, adding 5 or 6 to your maximum damage.
Shield of Faith, Barkskin, Cat's and Bull's don't stack with items, but I don't have those items (I think I am around level 12 of Beneath the Stolen Lands and the equipment i found gives far less benefits than the spells) and my animal companions can't benefit from any of those items.
Bestow Grace works:
LePkECR.jpg

I don't lack build ideas, I would just like to prototype them in a reasonable amount of time.
If you just want to try out some builds, Beneath the Stolen Lands is perfect: fights after fights with fast level up.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do I really need dragon style? Why not take crane style instead? How much damage does dragon give and how much AC do you get from crane?
Crane Style allows your character to make better use of the fighting defensively mode.

The standard fightning defensively gives you +2 dodge to AC and -4 to your attack rolls. If you have 3 ranks in Mobility, you get an additional +1 dodge to AC. If you are an halfling with the feat Cautios Fighter, you get an additional +2 dodge to AC.
With Crane Style, you gain an additional +1 dodge to AC and the penalty to attack rolls goes from -4 to -2.
With Crane Wing, you gain an additional +4 dodge to AC (against melee attacks), but you lose this bonus if an attack misses you by 4 or less.
With Crane Riposte, the penalty to attack rols goes from -2 to -1 and when you lose the bonus from Crane Wing you can make an attack of opportunity.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
In unfair, if you're building for AC. You better dedicate your entire build around it. Otherwise, there is no point. Crane Style is a meme for STR monks.
But if you do build for AC, you can become unhittable except on a threat by anything in the game.

I checked my last autosave, which was right before I left the Castle of Knives map, and the quest was already marked as failed then. So I'm reasonably sure it IS a bug. Might do some more tests later.
Maybe you rested after you took the quest and before you left the map?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
God damn 4chan. Posting here, because the comment was too long. My attempt at creating a Sorcerer/DD/EK build for anon:
Race: Human(Lawful Good)
Stats:
STR: 18
DEX: 14
CON: 12
INT: 7
WIS: 12
CHA: 16

Level 1 - Monk(Scaled Fist). Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Bastard Sword), Dodge, Crane Style. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1, Mobility +1.
Level 2 - Sorcerer(Any Draconian Bloodline). Feats: Spell Focus(Conjuration). Spells: Color Spray, Shield. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Mobility +1.
Level 3 - Sorcerer. Feats: Combat Reflexes. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Mobility +1.
Level 4 - Sorcerer. + 1 STR. Spells: Enlarge. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1.
Level 5 - Sorcerer. Feats: Power Attack. Spells: Mirror Image. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 6 - Dragon Disciple. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 7 - Dragon Disciple. Feats: Outflank, Toughness. Spells: True Strike, Glitter Dust. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 8 - Dragon Disciple. + 1 STR. Spells: Haste. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 9 - Dragon Disciple. Feats: Martial Weapon Proficiency. Spells: Grease, Blur, Heroism. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1

Level 10 - Eldritch Knight. Feats: Seize the Moment. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 11 - Eldritch Knight. Feats: Weapon Focus(Bastard Sword). Spells: Stoneskin. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 12 - Eldritch Knight. + 1 STR. Spells: Protection from Arrows, Stinking Cloud, False Life(Greater). Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 13 - Eldritch Knight. Feats: Improved Critical(Bastard Sword). Spells: Cloud Kill. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 14 - Eldritch Knight. Feats: Weapon Specialization(Bastard Sword). Spells: Sense Vitals, Displacement, Remove Curse, Echolocation. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1.
Level 15 - Eldritch Knight. Feats: Shake it Off. Spells: Heroism(Greater). Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 16 - Eldritch Knight. + 1 STR. Spells: Rainbow Pattern, Break Enchantment, Transformation. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 17 - Eldritch Knight. Feats: Greater Weapon Focus(Bastard Sword). Spells: Legendary Proportions. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 18 - Eldritch Knight. Feats: Arcane Strike. Spells: Icy Prison, True Seeing, Joyful Rapture. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 19 - Eldritch Knight. Feats: Critical Focus. Spells: Mind Blank. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1
Level 20 - Sorcerer. + 1 INT. Spells: Umbral Strike, Seamantle. Knowledge(Arcana) +1, Persuasion +1

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Couple things: You have him get both Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Martial Weapon Proficiency. Why?

Grease at L9, Stinking Cloud at L12, Cloudkill at L13, Spell Focus Conjuration. Why? The DC will be way too low for them to be worth the action.

Maxing Knowledge Arcana is iffy, unless it's the only character that has it available. The lack of INT means he'll always be second best at the party, and that's not very useful. I'd prefer max persuasion and either athletics or perception with the leftover points.

That last level of Sorcerer is also debatable. It will be the 17th caster level, which doesn't offer much compared to the 16th to be worth the loss of BAB. Why not a second Monk level?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom