Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Some loose ends:
1. Before using the kill phrase Gunther talked about having been captured by the NSF. Have I forgotten something?
The first mission of the game.

3. I have some vague memory of meeting the Renton (?) girl at the gas station map when I first played?
You might meet her there, yeah. She could also be dead or choose to remain in Hell's Kitchen depending on how you dealt with the JoJo thing.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Ah, so it was Gunther that was captured?
I had forgotten about the prisoner on that map since I went straight for the NSF leader, and some UNATCO scrub got the "attaboy" from Manderley.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Difficulty picked up once I started to encounter "Greys".
Real WTF?!? moment when one burst out of a door and what I thought was a cute little ET attacked before I could ask "wanna phone home?".
:evilcodex:
Some loose ends:
1. Before using the kill phrase Gunther talked about having been captured by the NSF. Have I forgotten something?
2. Never found an augmentation for the feet, but several duplicates or triplicates of others. I guess I was too miserly with my lockpicks...
3. I have some vague memory of meeting the Renton (?) girl at the gas station map when I first played?
1. You left Gunther in jail in Liberty Island, and he's still bitter over it.
2. RIP, there's one in the basement of the NSF warehouse with the generator, and another in the Medical closet in UNATCO 3rd visit which is supposed to guarantee that you install a leg aug.
3. You meet Sandra by the bums on the gas station map if you fight JoJo without giving Renton a weapon, which causes Sandra to lose faith in her coward father and leave NYC to go west.
I think I may have to play vanilla again some day, 'cause obviously the new graphics have messed with my recollections and don't quite fit with the images I have in my head. For example, the ambush in the Aquina section; I remember the situation well, but the visuals are all different. Also I don't think I was supported by bots last time I played. They made it rather too easy.
Bots were vanilla. Helios brings em out to help you.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
One thing I forgot to mention...the view when using binoculars is very small, much smaller than scopes mounted on weapons. Surely it should have been the other way around?

RoSoDude

Arcane
One thing I forgot to mention...the view when using binoculars is very small, much smaller than scopes mounted on weapons. Surely it should have been the other way around?
Fixed in the my fork, and now comes equipped with a rangefinder.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Beta 1.2 hotfix deployed. No need to start a new save game.

https://mega.nz/#!rXw1xSbB!_dxOg52IUVt4k-Sc9Zl7jQxHoT01lc1THFLCadV3_UA

• Reduced base stamina by 10% to match v9
  • Unified mantling code across states, can grab slightly shallower ledges while jumping
  • Mantling now costs as much stamina as jumping, and the player cannot mantle while out of breath
  • The Doorsman perk is no longer needed to see door damage thresholds, and damage thresholds on hackable devices are once again visible
  • Fixed decorations and pickups annihiliating one another when colliding
  • Fixed PS20 "DEFAULT PICKUP NAME" bug
  • Increased PS20 base ammo capacity from 4 to 5
  • Reduced GEP gun pickup ammo count from 3 to 1
  • Rewrote Hacking skill, Microfibral Muscle aug, and SONIC-TRANSDUCER SENSOR and SHORT FUSE perk descriptions for improved clarity and consistency
  • Rewrote taser dart description to note that it cannot KO targets
  • Fixed rate of fire tooltip stating full-auto modified weapons as single-fire

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Testers found a critical bug with melee AI (particularly animal enemies), so the 1.3 hotfix came sooner than anticipated. Map changes will only go into effect on saves that have not yet visited those maps (non-critical)

https://mega.nz/#!vLRBBSaR!qPacZTdK8VIbPA0F1csrhoANyxrA771TMK9J6MYP25I

• Fixed NPCs with melee attacks bugging out and attempting to attack at long range
  • Removed extraneous brush geometry in the first sewer ladder shaft in the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard map
  • Fixed missing names on some containers
  • Replaced second pair of binoculars on south Liberty Island dock with a prod battery
  • Re-enabled drunk visual effects (since they affect poison visual effects)
  • Reduced Osgood and Sons' mirror damage threshold from 5 to 3 (to match AR/shotgun damage)
  • Health/Augs screen status tabs now shown by default
  • Fixed vanilla oversight that caused explosions to double hit movers (e.g. doors) and ignore line of sight. Now only ignore LOS at 40% radius as GMDX standard
  • Smuggler's Assault Shotgun for 7500 credits on the 3rd Hell's Kitchen visit now comes with a full-auto mod pre-installed
    • Also simplified code for Paul's weapon choice (Mini-Crossbow and Sniper Rifle come with +1 accuracy mod)
    • NOTE: Need to update convo texts to indicate modded status

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Sorry it took me over a month to finally push this out, but here's the 1.4 hotfix. Mostly addressing crashes and bugs/oversights. This version should be a bit more stable, and LAMs will work properly on doors again

https://mega.nz/#!eHIQXCCC!eJCbREfNjmaYLTlpeG5oxWmE7X7VXX04b4G6n3Gt73A

• Reduced 10mm AP pickup ammo count back from 8 to 5
  • Reverted GEP gun pickup ammo count from 1 to 3 (since they generally appear as locational rewards)
  • Further refined explosion behavior. Explosions now ignore LOS at 40% radius for most objects, but 60% for movers (40% caused many failed doorbusts with LAMs)
  • Fixed script log errors:
    • Crowbar +5 damage to movers and decorations
    • Secondary item expansions
    • Tranq dart deflection sound on robots
    • Carts pushed by damage
    • Reworked Synthetic Heart
    • On hit blood spawning
    • Piercing perk melee damage bonus to robots
    • GMDX melee swipe
    • Bullet decals from autoturrets
    • Decline Combat Knives option for corpse looting
    • Sabot slug damage
  • Removed debug logspam:
    • Corpse looting
    • GEP gun scope toggle
  • Tied autoturret firing check to gun damage variable instead of hardcoded number
  • Fixed weapon stats and current ammo type not updating in the inventory when using realtime load without the current weapon equipped
  • Fixed (loud!) stacking menu sounds when using ammo load buttons, and sounds no longer play when highlighting weapons with ammo (but not other items)
  • Fixed Rebreather incrementing stamina/breath above 100%, allowing the player to store additional stamina
  • Fixed wearable items not undimming icons when picking up a new copy
  • Removed code and runaway variables from old wearable system which potentially leads to overcharged items?
  • Rebuilt Area 51 Sector 4 map to fix the death zone near the test tube where Page blows up the hallway (15_Area51_Page)
  • Refined hack fix for reverted MJ12 troops turning back into elites on death to prevent edge cases (more robust map fixes later)
  • Fixed crosshair user toggle being reset by hitmarkers, the new radial aug menu, and map loads
  • Fixed the Security Bot following the player into the armory and causing crashing in the MJ12 Prison map (05_NYC_UNATCOMJ12Lab)
  • Weapon tooltip fixes:
    • Sabot rounds now properly display 18 base damage for the single slug
    • Damage now indicates the shot multiplier for multi-pellet weapons (x8 for buckshot and x3 for plasma)
    • Final damage now shows the tenths place only when it is relevant
  • Fixed stealth pistol/sniper rifle disappearing when swapping between weapon models due to mismatched idle anims, potentially crashing the game

bloodlover

Arcane
I started another run of DE, this time with the mod installed. So far so good, I like what I am seeing. Two questions though:

1) In the first level, on Liberty Island, right before reaching the top and finishing the mission, there are two NPCs talking, about JoJo if I recall. I listened to the dialogue and expected them to start patrolling so I could walk up the stairs but they never moved. This happened again in the subway with the mole people. One of the guards on Liberty Island was facing the way I was supposed to go so I was stuck unless he moved. I did manage to throw a flare and distract the guards and finish the level but is this supposed to happen? I played DE a long time ago but I don't remember having to throw stuff around in order to maybe distract a patrol.

2) I have reached the prison level and so far so good. In the room before the armory, I think it's called the robot maintenance room, next to a panel on the wall there is a canister locked inside a box. It requires 4tools to open even with advanced hacking or typing the 4 digit number. However... I can't find the bloody number.

RoSoDude

Arcane
GMDX vRSD Beta 2.0 coming soon with a new standalone installer. There are a number of fixes and balance changes, but the biggest new feature is the addition of new playthrough modifiers that can be applied during character creation:

nnCxGfh.png

hqGKI4i.png

Playthrough modifiers add new layers to gameplay that don't belong in a difficulty setting, but must remain fixed over the course of a playthrough unlike other optional GMDX settings. Right now I've implemented three options for randomization (crates/weapon mods/augs), and before the Beta 2.0 release I'd like to move the addiction system to a modifier alongside Hardcore+ features (save points cost 100 credits, 10% lower base player accuracy) for players who have selected the Hardcore difficulty. In the future, I'd also like to add a Passcode Anti-Scum modifier that would require JC to learn passcodes from in-world clues and conversations before he can use them. Other modifiers are on the table as well -- think along the lines of some of the traits in Fallout that altered gameplay systems or content. Let me know if you have any ideas!

Also, here are some details on the randomization design, for anyone interested (or concerned). I personally dislike most randomizers since I feel they are frequently implemented without any kind of rhyme or reason towards their impact on design, so I came up with a few conservative strategies that would increase variance to spice up a playthrough but still keep things relatively balanced:
Crate Randomization Scheme
  • Crate contents can be swapped for other items if they are located in predefined loot tables
  • Each item in the loot table has a certain chance to drop which is determined by the actual amount of crates containing that item in all of the maps
  • Loot tables are organized into "lots" which group items by relative value and use case so as to not unbalance locational rewards and playstyle support
    • i.e. 7.62mm ammo can get swapped for .30-06 ammo and shotgun shells, but never 10mm ammo
  • Lots: pistol/rifle/nonlethal/anti-robot/heavy/explosive ammo, as well as medkits/biocells, lockpicks/multitools, wearables, and misc. pickups
  • Crate contents are randomized on first map load only so as to discourage savescumming
Weapon Mod Randomization Scheme
  • Same as crates with loot tables governed by in-game distribution, but encompassing weapon mods both in crates and in the world.
  • Lots: handling (accuracy/recoil/range), ammo (clip/reload), ballistics (damage/RoF), attachments (silencer/scope/laser/full-auto)
  • The Silencer in the Hong-Kong shop and the Full-Auto mod in the Paris shop are fixed, guaranteeing at least one of each for purchase in case of bad RNG (both are highly rare)
Aug Canister Randomization Scheme
  • The ordering of aug canisters is scrambled on New Game
  • The total number of each aug canister type in the game is unchanged

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I just found out about this mod and I'm very interested. Should I play now or wait for the next version?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I just found out about this mod and I'm very interested. Should I play now or wait for the next version?
I can attest that the mod was already amazing to play back in 2016, and it's just gotten more improvements since then. Graphical, game and level design have all been refined and the game plays a lot better than vanilla.

Do you want to play it now? Then play it now. The mod is already complete and you don't need extra topping to enjoy it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
every major version is worth a replay tbh. i played with v8 several years ago and plan to do it again with v9 so play now, then play it again when another major update is coming out

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've finally gotten around to playing it. Pretty fun so far. Certainly much more playable and entertaining than the revision mod. The lighting in dx10 that you can turn on by editing the ini is pretty nice. My only complaint is the long freezes when hitting escape to go to the menu and the game freezing if I tab out for a while and then tab back in.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I've finally gotten around to playing it. Pretty fun so far. Certainly much more playable and entertaining than the revision mod. The lighting in dx10 that you can turn on by editing the ini is pretty nice. My only complaint is the long freezes when hitting escape to go to the menu and the game freezing if I tab out for a while and then tab back in.

Try lowering the FPS limit in the launcher to 100 or lower, that can help with menu hanging. Borderless fullscreen is the only way to get reliable alt-tabbing.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

Try lowering the FPS limit in the launcher to 100 or lower, that can help with menu hanging. Borderless fullscreen is the only way to get reliable alt-tabbing.

I have the fps limit set to 60 so sadly I don't think that's what's causing it. Is there a way to get borderless fullscreen without using a third party app? Those usually cause weird issues like stretching or inaccurate mouse pointers

RoSoDude

Arcane
I said I would be back at this in February, and I have kept to my word. Aside from minor fixes and balance adjustments, I've made two big changes: the addiction system in vRSD is now available as a playthrough modifier and disabled by default (with all drug effects reverted), and the assault gun's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad 5-round burst has been replaced with a sharp, slick, and satisfying 3-round burst. This makes a big difference in ammo efficiency and its utility at range with a laser/scope, as well as simply feeling much better to use. The thing shreds with max ROF mods -- you guys are going to like it.

Just a few more issues to check off and I'll have this ready for playtesting. Thanks as always for your interest.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Okay guys, I went a little nuts. I was supposed to be doing a final bugfix/polish pass in preparation for release, but I decided to do something else...

CNA3TVY.png

Yeah, that's right. Inventory rotation! In Deus Ex! I'm almost positive I'm the first person to do it. And I can understand why -- I had to hack the inventory UI code in some unholy ways to get it all together. Every fix I made would create another bug -- it was UI coding whack-a-mole. But it's all quite robust now, and very fun to use. More info here: https://rosodudemods.wordpress.com/2020/02/16/devblog-2-gmdx-inventory-tetris/

Beta 2.0 is still coming in the next day or so, I just need to check over a few things and compile the installer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom