Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tumblr DIED apparently

syayon asked:

Hello there mr. Josh! I'm a fan of your works especially Fallout: New Vegas and, I had two question if you don't mind. (a) if you were to handle the Fallout ip in term of lore and continuity, does Ghouls need to eat & drink to survive? (b) do you still have a desire to return to Fallout after all this year? thank you & thank you Obsidian! love ya

Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

A) Ghouls don’t have continuity in the IP, so any decision I would make would be arbitrary. It’s not my IP, so my opinion doesn’t matter more than anyone else’s.

B) When we finished working on Fallout: New Vegas, I was finally able to fulfill my dream of working on a Fallout game. I was satisfied with how it came out and I had no expectations of working on another Fallout game in the future. I still enjoy the setting and would certainly have fun making another game there, but there are ton of other games and ideas I’d prefer to pursue.

doomguy2000 asked:

Why do the fiends at Vault 3 have so many silence .22 SMGs? I liked attacking the general area cause it was fun, but was confused at them using such an uncommon and strange choice of a firearm. For me it would've made sense for them to pack more shotguns like the caravan shotgun, higher caliber SMGs and pistols, and even some service rifles from unfortunate NCR troopers. Was it the American 180 chosen because of balance reasons?

I don’t remember them having a lot of silenced .22 SMGs and if they did, I don’t remember the reason. 9mm SMGs probably would have been fine at that point. 10mm SMGs might have been too macho at interior ranges. That’s all I can think of. Sorry.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
abcdfghijklnopqrstuvwxy asked:

What’s it like getting extremely nitty gritty questions about a game you worked on a decade ago? Do you wear it as a badge of lasting influence, or do you want to be recognized for your more recent work?
I’m glad so many people enjoyed F:NV, but I don’t think I’ve had much influence on the way games are made. I don’t think F:NV influenced the way that Bethesda developed F4 or 76 and I haven’t seen any other games that seem influenced by the way that we designed the story structure or progression in F:NV. F:NV seems to be more of a fan favorite than a game that developers particularly enjoy.

Re: more recent work: I feel like if you have to ask to be recognized or respected for your more recent work, you’ve already lost the battle. The audience for Pillars of Eternity-”style” (or BG-style or DOS-style, if you prefer) games is much smaller than the audience for a game like F:NV. Pillars 1 sold relatively well and Deadfire didn’t. Other games in that niche either reviewed or sold much better (or both), so I don’t think I really have the instincts or sensibilities to make games in it anymore. In online fan communities, discussion of Pillars 1/Deadfire has a mixed to negative tone. Discussion of F:NV is still mostly positive. It’s completely unsurprising that more people would be interested in asking me questions about F:NV.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
All this politics talk... was there a good Team America -- FUCK YEAH! game? Won't see a sequel to that movie.

Jezal_k23

I remember him saying he didn't know what to do if they were to make Pillars 3. They'd have to evaluate why the well received sequel of a well received game failed to sell before trying it.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Sawyer's journey to embracing historical materialism (spoiler: nope, it was not caused by Disco Elysium)
Retard alert. The government caused the subprime mortgage crisis by requiring GSEs to purchase subprime loans(30% of all loans had to be subprime in 1992, increasing to 50% by 2000 to 55% in 2007.)
Well, why did they do that? Because it was rayciss too hard for poor people to get loans. Therefore, give them the loan anyway, who cares if they can't pay it — after all, what could go wrong? Prior to this, they only purchased loans from banks and other such organizations that regular privately owned institutional investors would purchase.
lol at the butthurt europeans upset that I know more about my country than they do

The sad thing is all the things they think are unregulated are actually quite regulated. I am not stating those regulations are enforced or that they are enforced fairly/consistently. But the people who think anything in the current US is unregulated are just ignorant. The ones that think writing a regulation alone will get them what they want are ... naive at l3east as things are currently constituted. I am not saying regulation is bad or good, but the last 20 years of debate over it is ignorant and delusional. Just a bunch of retards arguing over things that don't exist, that goes for both parties in the US.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
In print, Garamond + Italics can be harder to read than italicized versions of other standard fonts.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Does his New Vegas mod require hardcore mode? I should do a playthrough with it finally but I find the eating and drinking shit to be pointless tedium. I did a whole playthrough with it, but not eager to do another.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Does his New Vegas mod require hardcore mode? I should do a playthrough with it finally but I find the eating and drinking shit to be pointless tedium. I did a whole playthrough with it, but not eager to do another.
You can leave it off if you want, the rest of the changes will still apply.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Open the mod in FNVEdit. Go to Game Setting and set fHCStarvationRate, fHCSleepDeprivationRate, and fHCDehydrationRate all to 0. They won't increment and you can play hardcore mode without worrying about them.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Why are people saying in the BG3-thread that Sawyer is preparing to jump ship from Obsidian? Where would he go?

EDIT: There was this tweet:

And then this message:

Sawyer is on the move with Pillars3.

Or did I misunderstand it?

Last edited:
Sawyer's journey to embracing historical materialism (spoiler: nope, it was not caused by Disco Elysium)
Retard alert. The government caused the subprime mortgage crisis by requiring GSEs to purchase subprime loans(30% of all loans had to be subprime in 1992, increasing to 50% by 2000 to 55% in 2007.)
Well, why did they do that? Because it was rayciss too hard for poor people to get loans. Therefore, give them the loan anyway, who cares if they can't pay it — after all, what could go wrong? Prior to this, they only purchased loans from banks and other such organizations that regular privately owned institutional investors would purchase.
lol at the butthurt europeans upset that I know more about my country than they do

The sad thing is all the things they think are unregulated are actually quite regulated. I am not stating those regulations are enforced or that they are enforced fairly/consistently. But the people who think anything in the current US is unregulated are just ignorant. The ones that think writing a regulation alone will get them what they want are ... naive at l3east as things are currently constituted. I am not saying regulation is bad or good, but the last 20 years of debate over it is ignorant and delusional. Just a bunch of retards arguing over things that don't exist, that goes for both parties in the US.
exactly, banking might be the most regulated industry in the US. Last I heard something like 80,000 regulations or something, and that was quite some time ago.

41huk.jpg

UNRGULETUD!!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom