Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Broodwar campaign is difficult

kris

Arcane
Before brood war they made a free little campaign, that one was difficult. Brood war is pretty easy

Monocause

Arcane
BW campaign is difficult only if you come fresh from the standard campaign. You just need to readjust some tactics and act quicker. I remember that I've only had problems with the final missions of the zerg part.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Play a week or two at battle.net in versus matches. Even if you don't win any of them, you will learn how to properly manage resources and once you go back to the campaign it will be easy as cake.

Monocause

Arcane
racofer said:
Play a week or two at battle.net in versus matches. Even if you don't win any of them, you will learn how to properly manage resources and once you go back to the campaign it will be easy as cake.

Nah, that's not true. I played quite a lot on BN and it's a completely different pair of shoes. Much more twitchy, no time for any finesse unless you play with friends. It isn't about who's more clever, it's only about who's faster and who can dish out his swarm of choice fastest.

Mickey, read a couple of strategy guides. Resources management and base building are things that usually require most optimisation. Attach important buildings to hotkeys and use them to produce units or quickly center on your base. Use your units' special abilities. Think of a strategy when starting a map and stick to it. One of AI's flaws is that it always loses in a war of attrition, so if you build and defend your base correctly and bring to a point that the AI's exhausted its resource sites, you win.

Build more recruitment structures! That's really one of the most important things in this game. People make a common error of building one copy of everything, eg. one barracks, one factory etc. Wrong. If you have the resources build three barracks and two factories. This is especially important for the Protoss, as everything goes slow for them, buildings warp in slow, units recruit slow and are rather slow themselves.

When playing protoss remember to have a couple of arbiters handy to be able to cloak your forces. Stick one in your base to be able to beam your army back if they're in a losing position. Always remember that the buildings construct themselves, don't leave that probe there, assign other duties to it. Protoss turrets are really good, but always have a couple of units to reinforce them. The high templar storm and corsair disruption can be very helpful, get some of these.
Playing protoss vs the AI is really easy once you get the dark archon. Use mind control and have fun. Try to get in control of a zerg drone or terran SCV and you can build a completely functional base, and you get another 200 of food limit for your new minions. This means that you're now in position to deliver very serious whopping. Don't count on it when playing against even an average-skilled human. You've got to be very lucky to pull it out then.
Both the terrans and the zerg can munch you in the beginning if they play good. Concentrate on defence at the beginning, get two or three warpgates and build a decent zealot army for defence, backed by a couple of photon cannons. There are some risky tactics like zealot or dragoon rush, but they're useless against the AI.
Protoss are really powerful in the late-game. The templarii, the archons, the carriers, the arbiters are all great units. Just look out if you send archons against the terrans, the EMP blast can get them killed in a second. Getting 12 fully mounted carriers with some support units is usually a win against the AI.

When playing terrans, your defensive line vs the AI should consist of bunkers and missile turrets reinforced by goliaths and siege tanks. The science vessels EMP and ghost's lockdown is great against the Protoss, especially the former. Medics are useful against the Zerg, go ahead and make these hydralisks blind and useless. Don't build vultures as they're virtually useless against the AI, their concussion damage does very little against armored targets. When on offence, use these fucking marines. They're cheap, expendable and the stim pack works wonders. Find a weak spot in enemy's defences, get four or five transports and fill them with marines plus a couple of medics. Use the weak spot to fly into the enemy base and get these marines out, and get them drugged ASAP. Use them to destroy something strategic and to soften the defences. When upgraded and drugged these guys pack quite a punch. Don't bother with firebats.
When making a serious assault, your weapons of choice should be siege tanks, goliaths and battlecruisers, plus some marines to serve as cannon fodder. If your enemy has serious airpower, build valks, they're great against anything that flies and has lots of friends. Goliaths will provide cover for the BC's, siege tanks will blast away land forces as they engage the marines. BC's generally rule and these yamato guns will be priceless to destroy fortifications. Get a science vessel or use comscan station if you think that you may be imperiled with invisible units.

When playing the zerg, use the power of the swarm. Zerglings can be damn great when you upgrade them, and Hydralisks are in my opinion units with the best price to quality ratio in the game. For an attacking force use upgraded zerglings, hydralisks, mutalisks, guardians, whatever really, just make lots of it. Get three hatcheries at least, try to make some close to the enemy base. When attacking set a rally point on the enemy base and swarm zerglings. You'll be delighted when you see that wave, just make sure that you've got enough firepower on the front to protect them from ranged units, especially the siege tanks. For the defence... Geez, you're supposed to attack with the zerg. Zerg suck on defence, really. However, in the campaign you often have to defend yourself, so use these upgraded colonies and a stationery hydralisk base. Lurkers can be useful but don't count on them too much. Get four or five queens when playing against terrans, you'll be thankful that you did. Also useful against the protoss. Also useful when attacking. Actually, spawn broodlings ability is always useful, use the queens wisely and you can wreak some major havoc. Ensnare is also very cool, beside slowing your enemies it also reveals hidden units, I prefer to use queens instead of overlords for detection purposes. Parasites are useful against humans, but hardly so against the AI, though you will sometimes appreciate the fact that you know when you're going to be attacked. Guardians are cool for the defence. Couple mutalisks with devourers to mince any dangerous air force, devourers leave the corrosive acid on targets which reduces their armor and their attack speed. The only zerg unit that's doubtful for me is the ultralisk, you get them late, they're expensive and you have to upgrade them to be able to kick some ass. Better to use hydralisks or zerglings. You can get one or two defilers - dark cloud is good for defence, plague is good to soften up fortifications before an assault. But you don't have to.

kris

Arcane
Best way to win against the AI is to have a good defense. especially in the campaign, were you can soak up all the AI attacks and slowly expand. in mulitplayer that won't win you anything.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
kris said:
Best way to win against the AI is to have a good defense. especially in the campaign, were you can soak up all the AI attacks and slowly expand. in mulitplayer that won't win you anything.

Very true. And so far, it applies to every strategy game I've played, whether turn-based or real-time.

I don't remember the brood war campaign being significantly more difficult than the first Starcraft campaign, but that was long ago.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
All missions without time are very easy.
There is one mission that isn't that easy. The one where you should destroy protoss base in 30 minutes.

Ah the wonders of the internet, where you're free to insult complete strangers you know nothing about without fear of consequences. Not entirely different to a cowering little dog I walked past by today at the park who later on started yapping it's head off at me from the safety of a parked car when I turned back.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I couldn't even finish the main SP campaign, the pathfinding just killed the game for me. What's the fun if any group of soldiers can't go from point A to pin B without dividing, heading in all possible directions, scouting the whole map individually and getting themselves killed in the process? This game needed Guild 2 - level micromanagement.

edit: M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E, lrn2read. If you don't count the "noob" in Jarl's post, no one offended you in this thread.

Troll

Scholar
[spam] this is rather strange... in this thread only jarlfrank made a little fun calling M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E a noob, the others really came with helpful suggestions except for a few who felt the need to brag a bit with their achievements.. yet still the only thing people notice is a 4 letter word instead of the 90% actual useful information... which is so rare nowadays around here...

declineofthecodex
[/spam]

All the advice was good and helpful. Didn't really expect the page long guide so thanks for that. Not sure if I've tried capturing enemy drones or SCV's yet as the last time I played this was years ago and that was just one run. Also I sort of gave up on the last few missions and cheated my way through because I was anxious to see how it would end, and was fairly convinced that the zerg had won until SCII was announced.

AzraelCC

Scholar
The campaigns are really easy once you get a hang of multiplayer. MP is NOT a twitch fest purely. In Battlenet this may be true, with everyone playing BGH or fastest possible map; but on servers with competitive players, like ICCUP or even selected Garena servers, Broodwar is a mixture of both micro and macro skills. Pincer attacks, feints/bluffs, multiple drops, constant intelligence gathering, timing pushes, rush versus long term, early-mid-late game transitions, and even choice opening builds are just some of the very fun strategic facets present in SC:BW MP.

That said, while the single player is nice for the story, you're really gunning for MP in the end, especially with Starcraft.

seems like I'm not a competitive player, but if battlenet is anything like TF2, it would be like comparing random spam pub servers to actual matches which involve actual tactics rather than doing the same spamful things *100, which I suspect only teaches you bad habits when you try to play with a brain. And yeah making units do what I want them to do is another thing that can only improve with experience.

AzraelCC

Scholar
You may want to try Age of Empires 2 if you want real time strategic battles with less focus on micro on MP, although it's difficult to find decent players nowadays. I think your comparison to the Mp scene in TF2 is quite accurate. Still, I really recommend playing Starcraft MP on special servers. It's a great game to try to master. I highly suggest you find a good sparring partner (somebody familiar with the intricacies of the game with mid-level skills) if you want to pursue this course of action.

As for the SP of starcraft, it is still one of the best RTS narratives out there--well worth playing. They are more of puzzles with limited solutions than actual tests of strategic mettle, not only because of the weak AI, but also because they were made to introduce game concepts again for the inevitable end that is playing in multiplayer. For example, the 'difficult' final zerg mission is structured to introduce you to defending on multiple fronts, as well as identifying the correct unit counters to the then dominant protoss and terran strategies. The problem is there to be solved correctly, as opposed to an MP game where you have to react to decisions on the fly based on your own actions and you opponents'.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This mickey mouse guy fucks up every thread. Admins, is there option to reduce this donald dumbfuck's name? If not ban him please.

Atrokkus

Erudite
It's difficult only if you've had no prior multiplayer competitive experience. Once you've had your ass handed to you in battle.net a couple of times, watched some replays, improved on some things, the campaign becomes easy.

almantas

Novice
Monocause said:
Nah, that's not true. I played quite a lot on BN and it's a completely different pair of shoes. Much more twitchy, no time for any finesse unless you play with friends. It isn't about who's more clever, it's only about who's faster and who can dish out his swarm of choice fastest.

You sir are talking pure shit.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Starcraft requires both speed and wits. If you don't have both, you will lose horribly in battle.net.
People who think it requires speed only just don't have speed yet and therefore can't see what it's like to play against an equally fast player who has better grasp of timing/strategies/counters involved. Get a clue, people.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Atrokkus said:
Starcraft requires both speed and wits. If you don't have both, you will lose horribly in battle.net.
People who think it requires speed only just don't have speed yet and therefore can't see what it's like to play against an equally fast player who has better grasp of timing/strategies/counters involved. Get a clue, people.

Yep. I've been playing Warcraft 3 for quite some time in bnet now, and speed alone doesn't help at all. Starcraft should be about the same. If you don't know how to micromanage your units properly, keeping them alive and trying to effectively destroy the enemy, you're screwed. Simply having a larger army because you've built up your base quicker isn't a guarantee for victory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom