Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed When Death came to Nathana, a user made campaign for HoMM 3.

Quite good, and certainly more enjoyable than the main RoE campaign and the Heroes Chronicles.

Three very different maps.

The first one I actually lost on Impossible, when Gelu with overwhelming forces broke though one of three Quest Guards (needed lots of resources) between my territory and the enemy.

The second map was the most interesting and potentially the best one with lots of interesting places to explore, but the story line was very hard to follow, and there was a bit too much use of forest mazes.

The third map was the most strategic one, with lost of one way teleporters, and with a satisfying final battle.

Overall a good campaign, where you start with Diplomacy which may or may not be a plus, depending on your taste. On the downside the writing was crude and vulgar (non-English speaker), but fortunately not too much of it.

Last edited:

Black Plague

Arbiter
Edit: Rean I bought my copy of TR1 from Steam, but the unfinished business expansion isn't included, so I searched on the net for a copy. If it's not available for sale, it's doesn't count as piracy, right?

The unfinished business levels were free. Pretty average stuff.

JDR13

Arcane
I made the mistake of trying nu-Doom. For a game that's supposed to be so MUH VISCERAL, it's surprisingly low energy. The guns are all peashooters, I swear on me mom. The enemies are ass. The melee kill pinatas are stupid. And finally the basic game/level design formula of "arena -> run around looking for secrets -> arena -> run around (repeat)" is both stupid and tiresome. It's like Painkiller but stripped of all the qualities that made that game cool.

I'd rather play Doom 3 instead of this shit.

Doom 3 had a pretty good story if I recall correctly. Also had an interesting flashlight mechanic. I gave up on Doom 4 after it was clear it had no story and nothing going for it except for the soundtrack. The original Doom games are still there if you just want to shoot stuff.

You must have gave up pretty early because Doom definitely has a story. Personally, I find it better than Doom 3 in that aspect, but I like both games.

Deleted member 7219

I've just finished the first Tomb Raider. Before playing at the end of TR4 last year, I had never played any Tomb Raider games (except the first popamole remake), so it was a bit of a discovery.
Well I also tried the expansion, but the copy I found crashes every 10 mins, so I'm not going to play that.

Visually, TR4 is way superior, with better models and also better ambiance (mostly helped by better models). Even if all of TR4 is one area (Egypt), there was enough variation in the levels that it didn't felt stale too much. Also it looked cleaner, with no visible joints between textures, no object appearing through textures and much better draw distance. The walls of pulsating flesh and skinned monsters in the last levels of TR1 were slightly horrifying. TR4 did also a little in the horror registry, but differently, more with ambiance.

Basic enemies in TR1 feels less like bullet sponge, especially since human opponents are a minority, compared to TR4. Having a wide variety of animals (including dinos) to slaughter is fun. And fighting only few humans make each fight more memorable, compared to TR4, where the human enemies are nearly just as bullet-spongy, but way more numerous. At least the bigger weapon variety alleviate some of that issue in TR4 (explosive weapons FTW).

Levels seemed more impressive in TR1, but more linear and less maze-like (which I prefer to the more open/hub-like levels of TR4).
Gameplay mechanics: I'd say it hasn't changed much, with a slight advantage for TR4, as it seems slightly more fluid. Note that played both with the keyboard only, I successfully plugged my gamepad for TR4, but it felt much worse.
Except for the ability to crawl, which doesn't bring much to the gameplay and is way too slow, especially since it nearly always end up with having to do a U-turn at the end, which is slowwwww. And those passages are like everywhere.
Jumps seems a little more forgiving in TR4, with a shorter run-up. I'd also found that lateral jumps (to avoid enemy attacks) is easier to execute in TR4, due to (I think) different timings. I would have liked a tutorial (for example to learn that while walking you can't fall from a platform :negative:) in TR4, but since it's the third sequel, it's not surprising they didn't bother. And vehicle phases don't bring anything really interesting, the controls aren't fluid enough and the physics too bumpy. Also the angle of the camera in TR1 has a few issues, with times where I couldn't see where I'm going to walk, usually in downward slope or stairs; I don't know if TR4 changed the angle of the camera or took care in the level design to avoid places with that issue.
I didn't have to consult a walkthrough as often in TR1, I think TR1 is easier than TR4, but I could also be getting better at this (yeah, in my dreams).

Edit: Rean I bought my copy of TR1 from Steam, but the unfinished business expansion isn't included, so I searched on the net for a copy. If it's not available for sale, it's doesn't count as piracy, right?

K, taken my rating away

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've also been playing quite a lot of the PC version of Okami.

I'm not finished yet, but I'm quite far, so I don't think much will change.

Okami has a structure copied on LoZ, at least those I've played on GBC/GBA. (World divived in cities/wilds/dungeons, progress via unlocking new mechanisms (brush power here instead of objects), unlocking a mechanism to unlock the way forward & going back to earlier areas to unlock treasures, solving NPCs' issues for rewards, a mute protagonist, a Navi equivalent but who's not as annoying, palette-swapped enemies (okay, for Okami the models are different, but a lot of enemies are upgraded versions of the basic enemies), a dungeon inside a big fish, heart pieces to collect).

I'm finding the game very easy, I've not died once since starting the game: first you can't get ambushed by monsters, since monsters exist in the wild as flags, touching one start combat in a separated arena; in combat there are multiple lifelines, like a 1-up that get filled up by eating food out of combat, a shield that get recharged by doing high combos (10+) and various consumables (invincibility, damage all enemies, health potions). Then parries that one-shot many enemies and the brush powers, which are very powerful especially at the start of the game where the player is the most vulnerable in a LoZ game. Out of combat is not different with most hazards dealing only little damage. But at least it fits the story, since I'm controlling a sun goddess.

One issue I've had with the combat is the weird pause the enemies have when doing their attack animation: they stop at the apex of their swing, causing me to parry half a second too early and miss a lot of paries.

There's a few good idea with the brush, like a quest in the city where drawing you've done in the kimono shop appear on people and walls in the city.

Movement & jumping feels good, especially when coming from PS1-era Tomb raider.

The visuals have a very particular style, which might not be to everyone's taste. Personally I like it, especially when cleaning up the corruption and reflowering the trees. The devs went also very heavy in the cuteness.

Slow start, I'd say slower than for the 2d Zelda, but it might in line with the 3d Zelda games it's imitating (I never played any of those).

The progression system is based on an additional currency, called faith, which is gained by feeding animals, restoring tree, cleaning up corruption and doing the optional missions for NPCs. You also get better and better weapons and new combos (very basic, just hit same button in rhythm).

There's no 'complete eight main quest dungeons', like the aforementioned mobile Zelda I've played, instead it's a succession of major demons to defeat, but it's difficult to see what or where exactly the end goal is. Each time a major demon is defeated, the next major demon is revealed in a newly opened area.

Plot is basic good versus evil.

I feel like there could be a few more dungeons and some environment are recycled, like Sparrow sanctuary and the under-sea palace, complete with moving platform above the entrance.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Let's be honest here, all DOOM games after DOOM 2 is only Id/Bethesda trying to sell shit exploiting their fame when they werent creatively bankrupt.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's still such a weird game though. Level 1 - sci fi installation with angry doges and laser gun dudes. Level 2 - OGRE CITADEL :happytrollboy:
It's partly of the result of being a mishmash of Romero's original design (Thor-like being wielding giant hammer in a gothic setting) and Carmack's design (military-industrial shooter, pretty much exactly what you see in Quake 2 actually). I find that the weird mixture, combined with Trent Reznor's music, gives the gave a very unique atmosphere (do be sure you're playing with the original music). I like the game a lot, I just don't like that it gets credit for being the first real 3D FPS; Descent did it first, and took much better advantage of the 3D. That said Quake does have some fantastic levels (one of the secret levels, I think in ep1, is a blast).

Let's be honest here, all DOOM games after DOOM 2 is only Id/Bethesda trying to sell shit exploiting their fame when they werent creatively bankrupt.
Eh, I like Doom 2. Its level design is solid; it's more gimmicky, which is why I like Doom's more, but that's personal preference. Taken on its own the quality of the game is certainly higher than just "shit".

newtmonkey

Arcane
The Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate (PC [remake])

WTF???? This is like a million times better than BT2 so far.
Even if you transfer your party from BT2 (I chose the medium transfer option that caps you at a certain max level, I think 25?), you can't just steamroll enemies. Dungeons are full of dark squares and spinners, so you can't just have your bard sing Sanctuary Score all day and make you invincible. Instead, you are better off having him sing Watchwood Melody so you can better map/navigate, even though it leaves you more vulnerable.

Even after getting boosted up to level 35 (IIRC) after the first dungeon, enemies can still hit you (often; and they have special abilities such as wither to ruin your day) and your spells can and do often miss. It's like playing n actual game again after the dull mapping exercise that was BT2.

Sceptic
Curious about the "meh" rating! Did you prefer BT2? Is there anything annoying about BT3 I should know about?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Expeditions: Conquistador

Setting is great and exploring Hispaniola is fun enough.
Quests are rather boring.

Combat is like in Fire Emblem. First you move all your guys and then the enemy moves all his.
No initiative. It's ok atm but i don't know how much it will bore me further on in the game.

I'm also not fond of the game being played on the world map like HoMM.

Basically mediocre but i love the setting.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
Oh, hi Magnat.
Yeah, i will after that probably.
But i'm a sucker for Arquebuses, Halberds and those helmets.

Squid

Arbiter
I've gotten back to STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Bought these games in 2011, beat Shadow of Chernobyl and checked out the other two, moved on. Then last year I revisited Shadow of Chernobyl and beat Clear Sky for the first time. Now I'm finally going to finish up CoP. Having a blast so I'm going to get some mods to try out after I finish the trilogy. Anomaly is looking mighty fine.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Bard's Tale III: The Thief of Fate (PC [remake])

WTF???? This is like a million times better than BT2 so far.

I got good news for you: BT3 is one of those rare games where the level design actually gets better and better, with the penultimate dungeon being my favourite. In BT2 it was ironically enough the starter dungeon that was perhaps the best one.

But if you fight every fight and never run away, the combat will become too easy quite soon.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I got good news for you: BT3 is one of those rare games where the level design actually gets better and better, with the penultimate dungeon being my favourite.
I disliked the first few dungeons, but then I liked the last 4 more and more, and my favourite ended up being the very last one (Malefia). I still think BT2 has, on average, much better dungeon design (the only disappointing one was the last one IMO, Destiny Stone). I don't know how much the remakes change things, but original BT3's combat was quite bad and I don't remember any sort of challenge at all throughout the whole game. Really, the only game in the trilogy with even a modicum of challenge was the first one, but it was also so badly balanced that the challenge wasn't a welcome thing most of the time (random encounters in Mangar's :argh:)

EDIT: I was using drifting's patch for both BT2 and BT3.

Last edited:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
I've gotten back to STALKER: Call of Pripyat. Bought these games in 2011, beat Shadow of Chernobyl and checked out the other two, moved on. Then last year I revisited Shadow of Chernobyl and beat Clear Sky for the first time. Now I'm finally going to finish up CoP. Having a blast so I'm going to get some mods to try out after I finish the trilogy. Anomaly is looking mighty fine.

HAVE FUN BRO

I HAVE HAD WAY TO MUCH FUN WITH MODS IN THOSE GAMES MOSTLY ATMOSTFEAR AND WEAPON MODS

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't know how much the remakes change things, but original BT3's combat was quite bad and I don't remember any sort of challenge at all throughout the whole game.

I guess you played without the UOP, which fixed the missing monsters' special attacks?

Really, the only game in the trilogy with even a modicum of challenge was the first one, but it was also so badly balanced that the challenge wasn't a welcome thing most of the time (random encounters in Mangar's :argh:)

In 2 and 3 I've come the conclusion that you need to use the Flee option a lot in order not to become too powerful. And no transfer from 1 to 2.
1 was a bit unbalanced too, with the middle game being too easy.

Last edited:

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
Close to the ending of Elex, I noticed you can scroll down on the menu of the people who teach skills. I was playing the entire game training only half of the skills. Fuck.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Close to the ending of Elex, I noticed you can scroll down on the menu of the people who teach skills. I was playing the entire game training half of the skills. Fuck.
I did that recently with Xenoblade, failing to level up the MC's special sword moves since they were "hidden" under an extra button I never thought to check until about 80% through.

:stupid:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
holy shit men quake 1 ep4 is fucking brutal :neveraskedforthis: it's particularly perceptible because the previous three were rather undemanding

still, game is surprisingly fun, no idea why i never liked it much before

flyingjohn

Arcane
Din's legacy.
Randomized action rpg.

My main quest is a nemesis called inferno something.He has been promoted multiple times while taunting me how useless i am.
And he died like 10 minutes from starting the game by a random npc. This game.
:lol:

I would say the randomness works in its favor in creating small stories for each play through.If you liked din's legacy,buy it discounted.
Else there is always poe and grim dawn.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
holy shit men quake 1 ep4 is fucking brutal :neveraskedforthis: it's particularly perceptible because the previous three were rather undemanding

still, game is surprisingly fun, no idea why i never liked it much before

I didn't like it since I was a big Doom fan when Quake came out and thought the graphics were uglier. Also, Quake utilized 3D more than Doom did, so I also had to get used to a new way of playing a shooter. Now those changes are in every modern FPS, so I too would probably enjoy it more now than I did then.

Beggar

Cipher
Hello friends. I crave for some old obscure and depraved video game to play. Is there any? Maybe some of you carry that kind of game in your heart and want to share but have none to do that...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom