Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wizardry 8 Enhancements - A Call to Arms!

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I finally got the graphical enhancements to work, which were posted years ago by paxton676 (but has now outdated links and information). The enhancements are achieved by "Reshade-SweetFX" postprocessing effects. Below is a small guide to get it working. Note that there's also a newer "ReShade" project, which is the successor of "SweetFX". Unfortunately I didn't get that to work, because the Reshade UI keys didn't work in the game. Only this older, combined package worked.

How-To:

1) Go to https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8ar1jhh1809cl/ReShade_Repository#9dd4f84o9l99n and download "ReShade_1.1.0_with_SweetFX_2.0.7z",
2) Extract it into a folder, go into that folder, doubleclick "Reshade Setup.exe" (if you get an error message install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or higher first. I have 4.6 installed)
3) Click on "Select Game", navigate to your Wizardry8 installation folder and choose "Wiz8.exe".
4) Autodetect will fail, therefore manually choose "OpenGL" (I only got OpenGL to work, no other options). It will install quickly and you can close it.
5) Now go into the Wizardry8 folder, start 3DSetup.exe and choose "OpenGL" as graphics interface as well.
6) When you launch the game now, it will probably crash with a Video Output error. This can be solved by forcing the game into windowed mode. You can do this like that: Locate the "Launch Wizardry" link in the Wizardry8 folder, Rightclick on it -> Properties -> in the "Target" section add a "/windowed" command so it looks like this: "C:\GOG Games\Wizardry 8\Wiz8.exe" /windowed
Now you can launch the game without crashing. You can also increase the window size by manually pulling the window borders.
7) When you launch the game, it already has some effects applied. You can change these effects outside the game only. In your Wizardry8 folder is a "SweetFX" subfolder containing a "SweetFX_settings.txt" file. Here you can change the settings. You can actually change the settings while the game runs (just save the file after every change)!

Are the graphical enhancements worthy? Imo they are totally worthy. I'll definitely use them for my next playthrough. But decide for yourself: Below is an example using Sepia and Tonemap (left is original, right is effects applied)...
In the lower picture you can also see some pink artifacts on the water. These artifacts also exist without the effects. I'm not sure why, but maybe my GPU (Intel hd 4400) does not implement OpenGL correctly. You can remove the pink artifacts however, when you deactivate "MipMapping" in the graphics options of the game. Though textures and objects become slightly pixelized in the distance then.

ZUFS1ek.jpg

Last edited:

Endarire

Scholar
theSavant
Autodetect failed for Reshade Setup, and I got the error message during setup, "Unable to copy file 'ReShade.fx.'"

Also, starting Wiz8+.exe with your suggested setup causes lots of black screens and flickering, making the game invisible and unplayable.

How to fix?

Last edited:

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks for the mods! When installing the stand-alone component of Faster combat but you already have Wiz8fast installed, do I just overwrite the files in the W8 root directory, and then run "Wiz8FastAnim" (only) for one-time? I think I got it working correctly but just to make sure I didn't fuck anything up. Cheers! :)

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Getting Video Device doesn't support video resolution.

Anyone can advise? Win 10.

Desiderius

Patron
Install the most recent version of the enhancements (http://www.mediafire.com/download/u8o91pl2b77c28c/Wizardry8_Enhanced_v0.9_RC.exe) and extract these files to your Wizardry8 directory afterwards if you want to use them.

Minor Update: 8/5/2018 - Small typo fix (data\strings\stringdata.dat)

Tantris uses his unique character portrait that was available in the game's files, but unassigned to him (data\databases\npc.dbs)

Class Changes - Remove Data\classesabilities.cfdat or Data\classesexpgroup.cfdat or Data\classesitems.cfdat or Data\classesskills.cfdat to prevent some/all changes

Fighter - XP Group changed to Elite, same as Bishop. Removed Stamina Regen.
Lord - Removed AC+2 and +5% Magic Resist, added Stamina Regen.
Ninja - Given cloth starting armor as Kaucukovnik intended.
Rogue - Cannot use swords, skill removed.

Monster Changes - Remove data\databases\monsters.dbs to prevent changes

Dark Savant - Now has 80% Physical Damage Resist

Brekek doesn't give any XP, so if you have OCD and like to keep all your characters at the same amount of experience then it's easier to manage now

Vendor Changes - Remove data\databases\npc.dbs to prevent changes

All vendors will always have their entire stock of items available, no more RNG involved.
Vendors carrying daggers/nunchaka will have 2 of each in stock for dual wielders.
Reworked the way Ammunition is sold, Ta-Li Stones & Armor Piercing Arrows come earlier and Medusa Stones later.
Cut down on amounts sold so that vendors don't get overloaded with normal ammo quite as fast, they will have more throwing weapon ammo available though.

Burz & He'Li - 4 sets of Arrows, Bullet Stones, and Quarrels, and Burz has a set of Musket Balls

Antone - 4 sets of Precision Arrows, Spike Stones, and Fear Bolts, no longer sells Thieves Dagger

Anna - 4 sets of Shrike Arrows, Barbed Arrows, Spike Stones, and Hunter Quarrels

Fuzzfas - 4 sets of Barbed Arrows, Spike Stones, and Hunter Quarrels

Sgt. Kunar - 4 sets of Barbed Arrows, Impaling Stones, Hunter Quarrels, and Musket Balls, and a set of Rockets

Sadok - 4 sets of Viper Arrows, Impaling Stones, and Fear Bolts

Crock - 4 sets of Armor Piercers, Ta-Li Stones, and Hunter Quarrels, no longer sells Thieves Dagger - Now sells Ninjato

Ferro - 4 sets of Mystic Arrows, Medusa Stones, and Lightning Bolts, no longer sells Platinum Greaves or Snakeskin Boots - Now sells Thieves Dagger and Hi-Kane-Do (L) as well as (U)

Don Barlone - Now sells Sai

Bela - No longer sells Ankh of Might

Loot Changes - Remove data\databases\itemtables.dbs to prevent changes

Removed the Level Sensor from anything that had it, no need to be high level to receive the best loot

Life Chest/Chaos Chest/Knowledge Chest/Rapax Queen Chest/Bayjin Nessie Chest/Marten Chest - Removed storebought items from loot lists, ensuring more worthwhile rewards.
Ring of Power/Ring of Stars added as potential drops to Rapax Queen Chest/Marten Chest.

Rapax King's Chest - Platinum Greaves and Snakeskin Boots added as guaranteed drops, removed storebought items from loot list

Spell Changes (See Wiz8_Enhanced.pdf for accurate comparison) - Remove data\databases\spelltables.dbs to prevent changes

All duration buffs can be used by at least 2 schools of magic now:

Enchanted Blade - Divinity users can cast
Missile Shield - Alchemy users can cast
Armorplate - Wizardry users can cast
Magic Screen & X-Ray - Psionic users can cast

Magic damage boosted by Spell Level:

Acid Splash - Damage from 1-7 to 1-8
Frost - Damage from 1-7 to 1-8
Make Wounds - Damage from 2-6 to 2-7
Mind Stab - Damage from 2-8 to 2-9

Holy Water - Damage from 2-10 to 3-11
Razor Cloak - Damage from 4-6 to 5-7
Shrill Sound - Damage from 3-4 to 2-6

Fireball - Damage from 4-8 to 3-10
Noxious Fumes - Damage from 1-6 to 2-8
Psionic Fire - Damage from 4-12 to 3-12
Whipping Rocks - Damage from 4-10 to 3-12

Acid Bomb - Damage from 3-6 to 3-8
Crush - Damage from 12-30 to 4-32
Ego Whip - Damage from 2-14 to 4-16
Fire Bomb - Damage from 2-10 to 4-12 (Removed added duration)
Iceball - Damage from 2-12 to 4-12
Ring of Fire - Damage from 1-6 to 3-8
Whirlwind - Damage from 3-12 to 4-10

Dehydrate - Damage from 2-38 to 4-41
Psionic Blast - Damage from 2-14 to 4-17
Toxic Cloud - Damage from 1-6 to 3-7

Banish - Damage from 3-27 to 6-30
Blizzard - Damage from 4-20 to 5-21
Boiling Blood - Damage from 2-38 to 5-41
Draining Cloud - Damage from 3-9 to 4-8
Firestorm - Damage from 1-12 to 5-11
Lifesteal - Damage from 4-16 to 7-19
Lightning - Damage from 6-18 to 5-19
Might to Magic - Damage from 3-27 to 6-30
Prismic Ray - Damage from 3-18 to 5-19

Cerebral Hemorrage - Damage from 16-44 to 5-52
Concussion - Damage from 2-48 to 5-52
Earthquake - Damage from 5-30 to 6-25
Falling Stars - Damage from 1-24 to 5-20
Mind Flay - Damage from 3-21 to 6-25
Nuclear Blast - Damage from 4-24 to 6-25
Prismic Chaos - Damage from 6-30 to 6-31
Tsunami - Damage from 4-36 to 6-31

Item Changes (See last page of Wiz8_Enhanced.pdf for accurate comparison) - Remove data\databases\items.dbs and data\databases\itemdesc.dbs to prevent changes

General Fixes - Some of the new item images wouldn't fit in the secondary slot, so I swapped these images out and gave them to other weapons as a fix.
There was also one staff that was causing the game to crash while looting the Rapax King's chest that was fixed by swapping the icon out.
Some items with no spell attached were listed with 0 charges, these (non)charges were removed.
Trying to merge 2 Daggers will no longer create a glitched dagger.

Ninjas can use all of the armor that the Monk can.

Rogues can't equip any swords.

Mace/Stun Mace/Blade Cuisinart/Demonsbane/Ivory Blade/Ankh of Sanctity - Kaucukovnik's changes removed, items are back to their original stats

Bastard Sword - Damage from 4-10 to 5-11
Rapier - Damage from 1-7 to 2-8
Wakizashi - Damage from 1-6 to 2-7
Katana - Damage from 2-7 to 3-8
Bloodlust - Initiative from +6 to +3, bonus swing removed
Enchanted Katana - Damage from 4-9 to 5-10
No-Dachi - Damage from 5-25 to 7-23
Vorpal Blade - Damage from 4-18 to 6-20
Sword of Fire - Damage from 5-23 to 11-29
The Avenger - Initiative from +2 to -1
Excaliber - Initiative from -5 to -2

Bearded War Axe - Damage from 2-12 to 4-10
Hatchet - Damage from 2-9 to 4-12
Hand Axe - Damage from 1-12 to 5-11
Battle Axe - Damage from 2-8 to 6-12, Initiative from 0 to -2
Beastslayer - Damage from 8-20 to 7-21, To Hit from +3 back to +1
Plague Axe - Damage from 4-12 to 8-20, Initiative from -2 to 0, Uncursed
Woodsman's Axe - Damage from 3-17 to 6-20
Crusader's 2H Axe +1 - Damage from 7-29 to 10-32
Axe of Many Runes - Damage from 6-30 to 9-33, Initiative from -14 to -6, To Hit from -3 to -1
The Ripper - Damage from 10-28 to 9-30, Kill% from 10% back to 5%
Blades of Aesir - Damage from 10-36 to 8-38

Spear - Damage from 1-10 to 3-10
Halberd - Damage from 5-18 to 6-18
Naginata - Damage from 4-19 to 7-22
Spear of Death - Damage from 9-17 to 11-21
Dread Spear/Mystic Spear - Initiative from +2 to -1
Faust Halberd - HP Regen -3 to -1

Flail - Damage from 3-8 to 3-11
Bullwhip - Damage from 1-7 to 2-8
Maiden Head - Damage from 3-18 to 9-24
Vulcan Hammer - Damage from 8-20 to 12-24
Diamond Eyes - Damage from 7-22 to 3-18
Zizka Star - 20% KO (from 10%), HP & Stamina Regen +1, To Hit +3 (from +4), Initiative 0 (from +1) - Removed turncoat, stat requirements, and Iron Will/Senses changes
Vampire Chain - Damage from 9-21 to 10-22

Dagger - Damage from 1-4 to 1-6
Main Gauche - Damage from 1-5 to 1-7
Baselard - Damage from 1-7 to 1-8
Poignard - Damage from 1-8 to 2-9
Poison Dagger - Damage from 4-8 to 4-10
Doublestrike Dagger - Damage from 1-4 to 1-6
Stiletto - Damage from 3-7 to 3-9
Serpent's Tooth - Poison strength from 0 to 7 (fix/buff)
Ninjato - To Hit +2 (from +1), Initiative +3 (from +2), 4-12 damage (from 3-9) - Price: 2800 (from 700)
Sai - To Hit +3 (from +1), Initiative +4 (from +2), 5-19 damage (from 3-11) - Price: 12500 (from 2500)

Short Staff - Damage from 1-4 to 1-6
Faerie Stick - Damage from 1-5 to 1-7
Shillelah - Damage from 1-6 to 1-8
Stave of Silence - Damage from 2-7 to 3-8
Staff Pro Paralysis - Damage from 3-8 to 4-9
Wand of Winds - Damage from 6-10 to 7-11
Winterwand - Damage from 4-8 to 5-9
Thunder Stick - Damage from 4-10 to 5-11
Wand of Static - Damage from 1-8 to 2-9
Cane of Corprus - Armor -3 to Armor -1
Quarter Staff - Damage from 1-5 to 1-7
Bo - Damage from 1-8 to 2-9
Monstrance - Damage from 2-9 to 3-10, removed Piety +5
Staff of Blessing - Damage from 1-10 to 2-11
Spirit Staff - Damage from 2-11 to 3-12
Staff of Charming - Damage from 1-10 to 3-12

Omnigun Mk 6 - Supposed to have 5% KO instead of 5% Kill, fixed
Flamethrower - Firestorm from power 1 (5-11) to power 3 (15-33)

Throwing Stiletto - Damage from 3-7 to 3-9
Boomerang Shuriken - Damage from 2-7 to 5-11

Steelhide Breastplate - Strength +5
Featherweight Armor - Stamina Regen +1
Kabuto - Price from 700 to 3000
Doll's Gloves - Mage and Psionic can equip

Necklace of Endurance - Faerie and Android can equip
Aeromancer/Geomancer/Hydromancer/Pyromancer Ring - All classes can equip
Amulet of Nebdar - All classes can equip
Ankh of Might - Price from 4000 to 5000
Amulet of Healing - AC+3 to AC+1

Book of Death - Psionic and Monk should be able to use, fixed
Book of Armorplate - Mage and Samurai can use
Book of Enchantment - Priest, Lord, and Valkyrie can use
Book of Barriers - Alchemist, Ranger, and Ninja can use
Book of Screens & Book of Insight - Psionic and Monk can use

Location Changes - Remove the entire Levels folder to prevent changes

View Distance increased by 50%, going too high can reduce fps and let you see stuff that you aren't supposed to in some areas, but a small 50% increase didn't make anything stand out to me and it makes the game much more playable in my opinion

X-ray chip correctly added to Mt. Gigas Caves in place of Ptorch (mtgigas1.sts)

Placed Ankh of Might in Anselm's cave in Mountain Wilderness (northeastwilderness.sts)

http://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-TnaqZbcqAvcnF0Y29tS1o1RnM

Feel free to leave feedback.

Which link should we use?

Desiderius

Patron
Playing this one right now after CCmod gave me a bunch of shitty arrows after beating those annoying Treant thingies in the Armory.

Flynn’s Cap suckaz!

Loving it.

Desiderius

Patron
Why are people saying retro dungeons not worth it?

Lots of good stuff in graveyard one.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Not sure about other two, but was there any unique loot in the graveyard one?

The main gripe I have with them is that they look like shit - I get it they tried to emulate wireframe look, but the size/scale of the corridors is just too big, like it was designed for fucking giants.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I absolutely hate the retro dungeon design as well, that's actually my main grippe with Dodd the slayer mod where completing one is part of the main quest.
Great mod otherwise, autistic random encounters and boss fights are balanced by the freshness of the new plot and enemies.

I only played with the light version of enhancements.

Desiderius

Patron
Not sure about other two, but was there any unique loot in the graveyard one?

The main gripe I have with them is that they look like shit - I get it they tried to emulate wireframe look, but the size/scale of the corridors is just too big, like it was designed for fucking giants.

Puck's Cap, and the Cutlass could be ok if you've got Stamina Regen and are using Bloodlust. I just don't like Cursed weps in general because I like to develop Ranged skillz.

Mainly though the benefit is all the high value potions and powders lying around. Decent EXP too and you end up picking up some Locks and Traps level ups naturally.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Yeah, that's one of the first really tough fights, since he's spamming spells like crazy and you don't have relevant protections yet.

Desiderius

Patron
I waited for lvl ten. Since I’m four hybrids + Bard/Gadg I don’t have much but Screen yet but was able to Silence him.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hi guys. do u mind if i ask what mods u are using? are there overhauls for wiz8? what's the retro dungeons u guys are talking about?

wiz8 to me seems like one of the greatest crpgs ever. i only ever made it to arnika road but i plan on giving it a better shot sometime in the future. but i'm curious what i have to do to the steam version to get it all up to snuff. any help is appreciated. thanks all! <3

Piotrovitz

Savant
I waited for lvl ten. Since I’m four hybrids + Bard/Gadg I don’t have much but Screen yet but was able to Silence him.
Just curious - what diff are you playing?

If expert - are you having tough times and have to grind casting skills for your hybrids?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
hi guys. do u mind if i ask what mods u are using? are there overhauls for wiz8? what's the retro dungeons u guys are talking about?

wiz8 to me seems like one of the greatest crpgs ever. i only ever made it to arnika road but i plan on giving it a better shot sometime in the future. but i'm curious what i have to do to the steam version to get it all up to snuff. any help is appreciated. thanks all! <3

There's some links in this very page for mod (reviews & download links)
Wizfast, fastanim, tweakfix(speed up the game for Windows 8/10).
For more info about mods, type postcount + wizardry 8 in a search engine to get to a Wizardry 8 temple.

As for the retro dungeon(s) you can find it in arnika's road cemetary if you can manage to find the runes (on some graves) to unlock it.
There's another one before the Umpani base but i'm not sure it's in the vanilla version of Wizardry 8 (runes are hidden on trees all over the map).

Well, there's plenty of websites giving info about the retro dungeon.

Zimlab mods archive.

Good review of some Wiz 8 mods.

No mod comes even close to the vanilla version, they're made for people like me who played the game over and over and want something new.
It's probably the game i've played the most with UFO and HoMM 2.

Desiderius

Patron
Started on Normal planning to kick up to Expert as needed. Using Chameleon and Speed Up mods has been a big improvement.

I did Caster1/Hybridx for each of Lord, Sam, Ranger, and Monk but I think that’s probably wrong since Spell Levels are gated behind Hybrid Level. Caster stat was high but couldn’t read books on time.

Cap of Wiles not fitting on Faerie Monk was time for restart. Going straight Sam, Lord, Ranger, Psi (with Bard/Gadg) this time so will see.

You eventually train with buffs (SP regen on Kabuto really helps here) on Lord and Sam so should be able to catch up. Ranger gets to train with making potions. Psi will train with nukes (since he doesn’t get good buffs), Charm/ID, and Staff/Throwing.

Desiderius

Patron

Enhanced 0.9 I think?

Gets the junk out of the big chests which is the most important thing.

Desiderius

Patron
Really curious to hear what people do with NPCs. I here Miles goes to Rapax Rift so may need to train up his Pickpocketing this time and take him there.

Sparkle is pretty good with the Axes in this mod, but thinking of just training up Saxx due to all this good Bard gear and late Soul Shield.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom