Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RimWorld - Damned Colonists in Space

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Remember, Tynan just from Steam made about 18 million dollaroos. Still he can't even pay for translation, those are voluntary. From the store page:

(Since RimWorld translations are fan-made, non-English languages won't be available for the expansion immediately upon release.)

But my main point is - the whole thing about supporting a poor starving indie developer is just a major wtf to me. Sure, buy the game if you really think it's worth it. To me it just looks like a cash grab, and according to ChaDargo(the big baby) pic more is to come. But buying it to support the dev is just misplaced which a lot of people seem to do.

Emily

Arcane
Remember, Tynan just from Steam made about 18 million dollaroos. Still he can't even pay for translation, those are voluntary. From the store page:

(Since RimWorld translations are fan-made, non-English languages won't be available for the expansion immediately upon release.)

But my main point is - the whole thing about supporting a poor starving indie developer is just a major wtf to me. Sure, buy the game if you really think it's worth it. To me it just looks like a cash grab, and according to ChaDargo(the big baby) pic more is to come. But buying it to support the dev is just misplaced which a lot of people seem to do.

So what would be for you a non cash grab DLC then?
What would you expect him to add the game further than Royalty for you to deem it a " real DLC"

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From Reddit, by Tynan himself:

Dev here: It won't. Unless a mod directly builds on Royalty content there's no reason for it to require Royalty.

I expect essentially all current mods and 95% of future mods to work with or without Royalty.

I made sure during the design process to reject ideas that would change the 'bases' of the game and thus create expansion/mod conflicts. So Royalty is a clean drop-in addition of content. No split community because that sucks.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...alty_the_first_ever_dlc_for_rimworld/fip70a3/

So just like I said. Content based or built upon Royalty will require the DLC. I don't understand why some people here refuse to acknowledge that. Now we have to see how that pans out, he says 95% will remain. But I have to wonder, as a modder, why wouldn't you want to make use of the new DLC stuff if you have the DLC?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
So what would be for you a non cash grab DLC then?
What would you expect him to add the game further than Royalty for you to deem it a " real DLC"

Something that truly expanded on the game and mechanics, maybe make it more of a simulation than just a random string of events. Not just a bunch of mods made official. Digging and being able to build multiple floors would be cool too.

thesecret1

Arcane
Ugh, OK. I love this game and I don't mind paying for its continued support but the DLC's content itself, I find VERY questionable and setting up a nasty precedent heavily in vein of Bethesda paid mods. The only saving grace I see here is the fact it adds music, but then again, the OST standalone costs half the price. As for everything else (like someone nicely summed up already):

Ruler system - done with mods
New Faction - Done with mods
Special Powers - Done with mods
New guns/clothes - Mods by the dozen
New building options - So many mods cover this
How is it in any way like Bethesda's paid mods? This is the devs own work. This is what he himself made, as content for a game he made. Not the dev attaching a price tag to third party content. As for the rest, is the dev supposed to be blocked from expanding his own game because someone else made a free mod with similar features? What kind of logic is that? If you find the content to be too small to be worth the price tag, then don't buy it, but bitching about the dev being scummy because he dared to add optional content to his game, and asked money for it, is pants on head retarded.

Seriously, it's like you people do not remember when adding expansion packs to games was common practice (and widely liked one at that) and treat this like some strange new thing.

thesecret1

Arcane
So just like I said. Content based or built upon Royalty will require the DLC. I don't understand why some people here refuse to acknowledge that. Now we have to see how that pans out, he says 95% will remain. But I have to wonder, as a modder, why wouldn't you want to make use of the new DLC stuff if you have the DLC?
Literally every single game with DLCs that is popular with modders will have mods dependent on said DLCs, since they often want to expand upon the content therein. You aren't even presenting an argument, you're like a man complaining that water is wet.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Literally every single game with DLCs that is popular with modders will have mods dependent on said DLCs, since they often want to expand upon the content therein. You aren't even presenting an argument, you're like a man complaining that water is wet.

Because one idiot here keep arguing against this concept.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Ugh, OK. I love this game and I don't mind paying for its continued support but the DLC's content itself, I find VERY questionable and setting up a nasty precedent heavily in vein of Bethesda paid mods. The only saving grace I see here is the fact it adds music, but then again, the OST standalone costs half the price. As for everything else (like someone nicely summed up already):

Yeah, there is a goddamn mod for everything. Whatever the DLC would be it would have been something that was done in a mod to some degree.

ChaDargo

Arcane

How is it in any way like Bethesda's paid mods? This is the devs own work. This is what he himself made, as content for a game he made. Not the dev attaching a price tag to third party content. As for the rest, is the dev supposed to be blocked from expanding his own game because someone else made a free mod with similar features? What kind of logic is that? If you find the content to be too small to be worth the price tag, then don't buy it, but bitching about the dev being scummy because he dared to add optional content to his game, and asked money for it, is pants on head retarded.

Seriously, it's like you people do not remember when adding expansion packs to games was common practice (and widely liked one at that) and treat this like some strange new thing.

This was my thought exactly, growing up and buying expansions that were legitimately made after a full game had been released, as opposed to being locked in the already released game like shit today. In fact, after playing Royalty last night, along with 1.1 for the first time, it brought me back to those times. It reminded me of when I was a kid and got Brood War for Christmas.

I think someone criticizing Ludeon for this DLC either already dislikes Ludeon and/or just has some inherent distrust of game developers and money-making. Although I'm not aware of any posts like that currently in this thread.
:positive:

ChaDargo

Arcane

Yeah, there is a goddamn mod for everything. Whatever the DLC would be it would have been something that was done in a mod to some degree.

It can't be repeated enough that this mod has more content and polish than any single fan-made mod, and is better integrated and more seamless than any mod collection I've tried. The only thing with more content I can think of is the giant C'thulu collection of mods, which is not as polished at all (naturally). And that drastically changes the game. Royalty feels like it belongs in the game.

In fact, Tynan has made it clear that the only way he would release a DLC is if it did just what Royalty does: meaningfully and seamlessly expanding the game.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's the same with Kerbal Space Program, the more functions that mods add are integrated into the base game the better. I'm willing to pay for less errors in the debug log. Makes combining of future mods easier and less of a headache.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I think someone criticizing Ludeon for this DLC either already dislikes Ludeon and/or just has some inherent distrust of game developers and money-making. Although I'm not aware of any posts like that currently in this thread.
:positive:

Imagine being such a passive aggressive cuck that you keep referencing the user you blocked in every post you make.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Something that truly expanded on the game and mechanics, maybe make it more of a simulation than just a random string of events. Not just a bunch of mods made official. Digging and being able to build multiple floors would be cool too.
Care to name several examples of DLC's fitting your description?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It is better to wait a week until modders will update their mods, mod section is buzzing with activity and people updating their mods or trying to fidure what mods crash game now. Now RimWorld is on 21-th place for players online in STEAM.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Ugh I see the thread is equally infested by braindead drones as the r/rimworld is. Stop strawmaning this into "there's a mod for everything" bullshit, take your head out of your ass and start thinking forward for once in your fucking lifetimes because you don't even seem to comprehend the issue here. So let me drive it home for you:

Firstly people complaining about the DLC / price are not just some normie fags win double digit playtimes, you want to brand them as, just to feel better because you played it up to 100h+ with 5 mods (4 of which are fucking hairstyles), some of them actually sunk over thousand hours into the game, often with hundreds of mods. And NO, the issue is not the price. Most people would be even OK with Dev support DLC that adds virtually nothing except an option to give them more money, just like Battle Brothers do. Simply because having a continued support for a game is already a major thing to have and pay for, but it's obvious that "content" is easier to swallow for the general audience to pay for.

Secondly, NO it's also not about Tynan lifting some mod ideas, because it's fucking obvious that a game with hundreds of mods will have it's functionalities doubled by core features at some point of its growth. In fact there are already mods that do more than this DLC (Combat Extended for one) or add more basic features and haven't been integrated so far (eg. EdB Prepare Carefully). Devs, however have a free choice of what they work on, and none of the restrains modders face.

It's all about the content choice and the sales model. Tynan, being semi active on both forums and reddit is well aware of existing mods, and often promoted some of them himself. He's also probably the person that knows the most about modding limitations in his game (why do you think there are still no working mods for something as simple as god damn windows?) but instead of expanding the framework for modders to work on (for instance), he just picked a bunch of fairly simple features to expand upon, virtually none of which weren't previously possible, and smacked a price tag that would slip with the "human leather cowboy hat" normies. The Bethesda bullshit didn't start with the workshop either, but with the damn horse armor DLC, and that's exactly what this DLC is for the base Rimworld - an easy money grab for completely redundant features. Sure, there's also talk about how it was play tested and weather it is lore friendly, but the general overarching issue with all this is that they're sitting on laurels, and setting up a bad precedent of how is future content for this game is going to be like - stagnant.

Will I buy it? I already did. They deserve credit where credit is due, but that doesn't make me happy that they decided to go the "milky" way, because I can't think of a developer that did that and it turned out to be ok in the long run. Be it Bethesda, Paradox of Firaxis their games became empty shells, and the first steps towards that, were exactly like this. But whatever, go build your fucking killboxes like all the good drones do, you wouldn't know decline if it dickslapped you in the face.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Is it really fair to compare a small indie dev to the likes of Bethesda or Paradox and posit that they're going to end up releasing the same shells on 1.0 just because they've started adding DLC? Plenty of indie games have DLC, and you've got psuedo-indie studios like supergiant who've got real money behind them, and they still don't pull that shit.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Is it really fair to compare a small indie dev to the likes of Bethesda or Paradox and posit that they're going to end up releasing the same shells on 1.0 just because they've started adding DLC? Plenty of indie games have DLC, and you've got psuedo-indie studios like supergiant who've got real money behind them, and they still don't pull that shit.
For fuck's sake. It's not about releasing DLCs. Battle Brothers does. It's about the mindset of going for easy money for virtually obsolete content just because the general audience is going to swallow it. The pauperization of franchise. DLC nations in Civ6. DLC national focuses in HOI4. The list goes on.

Emily

Arcane
For fuck's sake. It's not about releasing DLCs. Battle Brothers does. It's about the mindset of going for easy money for virtually obsolete content just because the general audience is going to swallow it. The pauperization of franchise. DLC nations in Civ6. DLC national focuses in HOI4. The list goes on.
I am sorry but the amount of polish the DLC has is not comparable to any mod, i just played a bit today, its literally like star craft brood war, where you cannot tell where the new stuff is from the last.

Sure you can argue but 1000 mods all add more content, ok sure, but the quantity is not everything, its also about the quality and polish and how the new DLC fits into the base game without it feeling awkward or an extra.

And compared to your precious Battle Brothers, this actually adds new endgame and new ways of fundamentally different play styles, something Battler brothers never had with all their DLC.

Van-d-all

Erudite
I am sorry but the amount of polish the DLC has is not comparable to any mod, i just played a bit today, its literally like star craft brood war, where you cannot tell where the new stuff is from the last.
This pretty much shows you know shit about Rimworld mods. Medieval Times, Androids or both Vanilla Factions Expanded mods, add shitloads of stuff all the way from basic items & weapons, through recipes, workstations & factions up to storyteller events and world cell generation, while not being any less professional. Combat Extended, Psychology or EPOE go way beyond base game mechanics. Dinosauria, Megafauna or Vanilla Animals Expanded add stuff that looks better than vanilla. There's a mod that does a better job than the base game in virtually any category you could imagine, but it's beside the point. It just makes your explanation retarded - "polished" is a generic term in defense of everything developer released, as if being official magically makes it somehow better, while in truth it's just your post-purchase rationalization, completely ignorant of the existing material. Bethesda's horse armor was also technically alright, and so are the DLC nations in Civ6, but that "polish" doesn't make their existence any less shit, but as expected retards fail to even comprehend the issue here. You only come crying, years after the fact, when your game becomes a casual mobile trash. I bet you think nuXcom is superior to Battle Brothers, so trying to make you understand is a lost cause anyway.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
You seem kinda obsessed with the X-com reboot. How is it relevant? How is Battle Brothers relevant?

I think the DLC is on the priceir side, but it's not an atomised addon like you're saying with your comparison to Civ VI; it's not just unlocking shit like what Creative Assembly puts out, nor like with Paradox, where you have to pay extra for things to be fleshed out.

Bratislav and ChaDargo are right in comparing it to Brood War. It's an expansion, not the vapid DLC you're making it out to be.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ludeon is seeking multiplayer devs. What wonderful future awaits us
vr82u8t3w4j41.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom