Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tacticaladventures/solasta-crown-of-the-magister/posts/2766424

Dev Journal | February 2020 - Choose your Monster & More!

Hey there folks!

How have you all being doing? We want to start off this Dev Update with a big congratulations to Kiaradth Bright-Spark (submitted by Jackobake), winner of the Mayor of Caer Cyflen Contest. Look forward to meeting her in-game! And now, before jumping into the Update, it's time for the next Community Choice...

We did it once during our Kickstarter Campaign, and we're doing it again! It's time for you, our future players, to choose which of the following four monsters you want to see added to Solasta at release. In an ideal world we'd want to have all of them, but Game Development is all about making choices to stay within schedule and budget!

Each of them are more than eager to have some adventurers for dinner!

So which will it be? The mighty Minotaur, the towering Ettin, the undying Badland Troll or the treacherous Ettercap? Choose wisely, as you will be the one facing these foes! Click here to vote now!

Fetch me my Armor!
It might seem like a tiny thing, but swapping armors around is actually not that simple when you have characters with different sizes and shapes. Just imagine dumping Garrad's massive armor onto poor little Violet. It... wouldn't work so well. For those who may not know who we're talking about, Garrad was our Human Fighter and Violet our Halfling Wizard in our Kickstarter Demo - you can check out the characters' size difference from a screenshot of our old opening cutscene to the Ruins of Telema below.

2a95a39927b844f63e354ec7b3789738_original.PNG

Nostalgic isn't it? This dates from even before our Kickstarter Campaign - you can see old haircuts that we removed since as they kind of looked like plastic.
As you can see in the image above, simply changing outfits between characters would produce terrible, terrible results. Even Rhuad, our elven rogue, would have trouble with that metal armour since he's much thinner than his bulky warrior friend. However, these days are now over. We have the technology! Armors and clothes now fit to all our body templates and for all races. Don't let anyone tell you how to dress! You do you buddy!

b23ba57ee08e2d65979561da6f102978_original.png

Violet can now dump all her stat points into Strength and Constitution if she wants, she is no longer restricted to her wizard's outfit!
On Lore & Architecture
Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither is Caer Cyflen. Our game's main city is still under construction, although we're seeing more and more streets and houses, and less and less giant gray lego boxes as time goes by. Still, a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words, so I'll sneak in a small screenshot of an area we recently added to the game - keep in mind everything you see is still very much work in progress!

8bf494d592cfd1c51147a7bef8a48480_original.png

"Hello? Anyone here? What do you mean, we haven't added the NPCs yet!"
We also know that there are some of you who very much like to see Concept Art and details behind how we make our environment feel alive and coherent in Solasta, so I've prepared a bundle of what our Environment Artist usually receives when he starts working on a new building.

6b4804bd497718735c11a6e80a9cbd6a_original.png

Each of these images are of course in much higher resolution, but if we started uploading those we'd quickly run out of space for our Dev Update
And for all our Cleric players out there, we've got a little something for you too! Our Art Director recently finished going over the different deity symbols, which you can check below. We will also be doing a little lore article going over each Solastan god in a bit more detail soon, so keep your eyes peeled for that!

56a3d781ede392c57aafc9aa94984f96_original.png

Time to play the domain guessing game!
Watch the Skies!
Verticality is one of the pillars of Solasta - we've said it time and time again, we want you to think in 3D when it comes to battles. But it just wouldn't be fun if the players were the only one able to use that verticality now, would it? This is why we're proud to present the first flying foe to make it in-game: the poisonous and terrible Flying Snake!

dda0093324ddc3ca7bcf458608e5aff4_original.png

Isn't it somewhat adorable? No, no it is not.
d4130ed6bf4ae958f5b14dc5426156d8_original.gif

Y'know, the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking: "Snakes should be one of those things that should never fly. Ever."
Friendly Shout-Out: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Kickstarter
Boy oh boy more Pathfinder by Owlcat Games! If you're a cRPG fan and you haven't checked it out yet, you have 2 weeks left before their Kickstarter Campaign is over. For those of you who are D&D fans but aren't familiar with Pathfinder, it is a ruleset that is very similar to D&D 3.5e (after all, it's based on it) but with a lot more classes, feats all over the place - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

And if you were a bit on the fence because it's RTwP (Real Time with Pause), Owlcat just announced that they would be adding an official Turn-Base mode! Hsinyu if you're out there, know that your efforts in creating a TB mod for Pathfinder: Kingmaker made a whole lot of people happy once again.

36d693fd188baa6b753990fd4e277ea8_original.png

Solasta: Crown of the Magister! Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous! Baldur's Gate 3! RPG fans unite!
It's Blooper time!
Let's honor our new tradition of ending our Dev Update with some fun bugs we encountered during the month. Today, we'll have to honor once again our Lead Animator who somehow managed to make our tools do things they aren't supposed to do, creating uh... very.... interesting results.

b4cd98f9fa2211ac2430bd289c13554c_original.png

We're on our way to recreate Gollum.
0b8552b912b99fc53f0f5495effb1556_original.gif

Poor thing looks so lost.
Alright, hope you enjoyed today's big update. See you next time for some more information on Solasta!

Read our previous articles here:

Article by Tactical Myzzrym

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I voted ettin. Feels like ettercaps and trolls are in everything, so it was ettin or minotaur.

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm not sure who would vote for Ettin. It doesn't have any special ability to make it interesting beyond an immunities set.

Minotaur is the lowest level of humanoid shape with larger than human size out there, which can make it a prominent early game threat. It also pushes people around, which is bound to be memorable with Solasta's focus on vertical areas. Ettercap has some vertical focused abilities, and its web based abilities can make for dynamic terrain (pair it with a giant spider or something that can create webs, make webs burnable). Dorateen already mentioned Troll's unique properties.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm not sure who would vote for Ettin. It doesn't have any special ability to make it interesting beyond an immunities set.

Minotaur is the lowest level of humanoid shape with larger than human size out there, which can make it a prominent early game threat. It also pushes people around, which is bound to be memorable with Solasta's focus on vertical areas. Ettercap has some vertical focused abilities, and its web based abilities can make for dynamic terrain (pair it with a giant spider or something that can create webs, make webs burnable). Dorateen already mentioned Troll's unique properties.
Clearly, you DO know who would vote for ettin, since I said I did. :P

To each their own though. We'll see how the vote plays out.

Fairfax

Arcane
There are interesting troll types in 5E, but that seems to be the standard one, so I'd say the ettercap is the most interesting option, especially with the game's verticality. The restrained condition is a big deal, especially at lower levels, and the ettercap's bite can also poison targets. Add in the web garrote variant, surprise attacks, and traps, and they can be quite nasty against low-level parties. The only issue is that their web is a ranged attack with a +4 to hit, so they'll become too weak by themselves after a few levels.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Most of those are save or die traps, with no way to escape. It was something that earlier editions of D&D did quite a lot, but much less so now - understandably so, losing a character to a single bad roll can be very frustrating. We have traps alright, some of them quite deadly too, but nothing near that level of wickedness.

And lol @ veritcality being a gimmick / twitter fad. We've already shown flying monsters, levitate, feather fall and we're currently adding fly and spiderclimb. If it was just a gimmick, "flight" would just be a condition that would prevent you from taking melee attacks or triggering traps or something (which would make our life much, much easier).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Most of those are save or die traps, with no way to escape. It was something that earlier editions of D&D did quite a lot, but much less so now - understandably so, losing a character to a single bad roll can be very frustrating. We have traps alright, some of them quite deadly too, but nothing near that level of wickedness.

And lol @ veritcality being a gimmick / twitter fad. We've already shown flying monsters, levitate, feather fall and we're currently adding fly and spiderclimb. If it was just a gimmick, "flight" would just be a condition that would prevent you from taking melee attacks or triggering traps or something (which would make our life much, much easier).

You're marketing your game like a carpet salesman since day one so my spider sense is tingling me all over but i still have hope that the real work is aimed at CRPG fans, only time will tell.

All things condiered, Ettin is the best choice.

The use of vertical access here could be interesting for a giant creature. It could walk or reach over barriers heights that the player might think themselves safe to use. Conversely, the Ettin might not be able to reach them in a narrow or low passage--where the vermin get you instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom