Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
This is an impact of the MS acquisition. I bet MS has a boilerplate program template that OE just rolled out with small tweaks.

Large companies have known you can get ppl to work for little to no money for decades now. Hell, Windows is mostly made by CS undergrad interns.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The south park games are bundled for 7 bucks. I just bought it. Is this $80 bundle worth the $7 I just paid?

If you like South Park's humor Stick of Truth is a fun, charming little game. Fractured but whole isn't worth it though overstays its welcome and and falls flat most of the time.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Just don't let the RPG label mislead you, there are literally no RPG elements in these games.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Just don't let the RPG label mislead you, there are literally no RPG elements in these games.

Technically that's not a bad thing. In Stick of Truth practically every gameplay element works in favor of it being a South Park game including combat.
(Even though it ends up being way too easy.)

On the other hand, Fractured but Whole has technically more rpg elements, but all of them ending up being boring garbage that drag the game which kills its humor.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
jGBIMKQ.png

It's really something how some people are butthurt enough to make the effort to hide harmless replies to their internet posts.

Duraframe300

Arcane
jGBIMKQ.png

It's really something how some people are butthurt enough to make the effort to hide harmless replies to their internet posts.

klobrille is Number1 Microsoft fanboy though. So, not really surprising. Typical behaviour.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sawyer's actually getting worse at designing conversations. What a trainwreck this dialogue-based game will be.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The question is, is he getting shittier at writing dialogue, or are his colleagues getting worse at reading dialogue? I'd say it's 50/50.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The question is, is he getting shittier at writing dialogue, or are his colleagues getting worse at reading dialogue? I'd say it's 50/50.
If someone goes through a conversation without hitting the critical nodes, the fault is with the designer.

Greenante

Novice
Patron
Insert Title Here
Hmmm:

https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/internships

Welcome to the Obsidian University Summer Internship Program!

Obsidian Entertainment is known around the world for the incredible stories we tell. We would love for you to join us in our latest adventure! For the first time Obsidian will be offering an official summer internship program. This summer you will go on a quest unlike anything you've experienced so far. We would love for you to become a part of the family that joined you on a post-apocalyptic trip through New Vegas, sailed with you chasing a god through the Deadfire Archipelago, and watched as you made your mark on Halcyon, a colony in way over their heads.

What should I expect from this opportunity?
  • Get paired with a mentor (or mentors) at the studio who will show you the ropes of how we make games here.
  • You will not be doing coffee runs. You will be creating content that has a good chance of making it into the title. You will be interacting with fans. You will be testing content and learning how to give good professional critiques and feedback. You will become part of the Obsidian culture for the duration of the program.
  • Get portfolio and work reviews to help you with your future in the industry.
  • Participate in organized lunches and socials with different developers at the studio and meet a wide variety of disciplines, personalities, and success stories.
  • Access to Obsidian University classes taught by Obsidian developers and any guest speakers that we invite during your internship.
F.A.Q.
When is the deadline to apply?
You must apply by Wednesday, March 25th to be considered.

What are the dates for the program?
The program starts on June 15th 2020 and goes until August 28th of 2020. (Dates may be subject to minor changes.)

I am not local, do I have a chance?
Obsidian will consider all candidates. However, Obsidian will not provide housing so you must find a way to stay in or near Irvine California for the duration of the internship.

Is it okay if I can't make it for the entire internship?
Unfortunately, due to the short nature and packed schedule of the program, we are not accepting anyone who is planning to join late, leave early, or take a large leave during the internship.

Is this a paid internship?
Yes. Also, if there is any sort of program that your university offers for you to earn credit off of this, we're happy to work with you and your school to make that happen.

Will I get any cool free stuff?
Oh, you will get free stuff.

Huwhite Males need not apply.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Another AAA game: https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/design/content-design-summer-intern

You'll work closely with a small team during the early prototyping phase of a AAA role-playing game.

This one is probably Josh's "heavily stylized" 2D game, "2D Art/Concept - Summer Intern": https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/2d-art-concept-summer-intern

2D Art/Concept - Summer Intern
Do you love role playing games? Are you looking to kick-start your career in the gaming industry? Come work side by side with our world-class developers, learn what it takes to create fantastic worlds and contribute to the next great Obsidian Entertainment title.

Obsidian Entertainment is looking for a summer intern to participate in the Obsidian University Internship Program. This role will work with Art and Animation on a very small team working on a heavily stylized project. You will spend the summer assisting the team in assembling scenes and characters and implementing art into the game.

Responsibilities
  • Assist in cutting up 2D characters for animation
  • Assist optimizing environment art and implementing it in game
  • Potentially create props and small assets for the game
Requirements
  • A basic understanding of Adobe Photoshop
  • A basic understanding of human anatomy and character design
Pluses
  • Experience with Unity
  • 2D animation experience
  • A love of adventure and role-playing games
Portfolio Requirements
  • A web portfolio that demonstrates a range of 2D rendering styles and subjects, including characters and environment pieces

A love of adventure and role-playing games

thinking.png

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This is further evidence Sawyer Elysium is

The other game I've wanted to make for a long time is one in which you play a player-defined St. George in the 3rd century Near East who enters a land terrorized by the Dragon. All conversation is abstracted into incomprehensible foreign language and the entire game looks like it is a moving Greek Orthodox icon painted on wood and plaster. As George suffers in the world, the icon fades, cracks, and chips away over time. I'd want it to be more about mood, atmosphere, and subtle body language/character interaction than a scripted narrative and fierce gameplay.

This is pretty interesting: https://www.obsidian.net/jobs/open-positions/art/2d-animator

"exaggerated limited 2D animation for stylized characters", "animation software Spine".

GhS2yd7.jpg

That looks like Greek Orthodox icon painting style.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom