Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I am about to play V:TM-Bloodlines for the first time - what do I need to know before I start?

Zenith

Arbiter
Obligatory "I've played VtMB 1.0 recently and found it fine" post. Aside from the infamous crash at Leo's I think there was a total of 1 (one) quest that didn't work as expected. As of 1.2 it's definitely much more stable and polished than e.g. New Vegas or Witcher 1 after all the patches and enhanced editions.

Also obligatory "Unofficial Patch includes questionable changes even in Basic version" post. Though it's much better now than it used to be around v9.5. At this point I'm fairly comfortable recommending it over vanilla for a first playthrough, but afaik there's still chance of completely fucking up your ending by accident (and as a consequence, the entire experience).

Wesp5

Arcane
... afaik there's still chance of completely fucking up your ending by accident (and as a consequence, the entire experience).

Why would the basic patch fuck up the ending? I don't think I changed anything there, e.g. the shortcuts are all only available in plus.

Zenith

Arbiter
Why would the basic patch fuck up the ending? I don't think I changed anything there, e.g. the shortcuts are all only available in plus.
"Lycans" door + non-descriptive "Dance, fool!" at LaCroix.
(partially my fault, since I never bothered to check/report things I found since I sent you that list)

Murk

Arcane
I played Malk my first time and it was one of the best experiences I had.

Anyway, play Malk.

Wesp5

Arcane
"Lycans" door + non-descriptive "Dance, fool!" at LaCroix.
(partially my fault, since I never bothered to check/report things I found since I sent you that list)

I don't know which patch version you played, but nowadays this is a hidden feature of the plus patch only!

Zenith

Arbiter
I don't know which patch version you played, but nowadays this is a hidden feature of the plus patch only!
The laptop is, the door itself was not (and the door sets the flag). In v10.3 or thereabout. But maybe you've fixed it since, like I said, haven't checked it.

Delterius

Arcane
Obligatory "I've played VtMB 1.0 recently and found it fine" post. Aside from the infamous crash at Leo's I think there was a total of 1 (one) quest that didn't work as expected. As of 1.2 it's definitely much more stable and polished than e.g. New Vegas or Witcher 1 after all the patches and enhanced editions.

Also obligatory "Unofficial Patch includes questionable changes even in Basic version" post. Though it's much better now than it used to be around v9.5. At this point I'm fairly comfortable recommending it over vanilla for a first playthrough, but afaik there's still chance of completely fucking up your ending by accident (and as a consequence, the entire experience).
'i played vtmb without its ending and found it fine'

Zenith

Arbiter
'i played vtmb without its ending and found it fine'
The fix is a single console command away ("changelevel2 la_hub_1 taxi_landmark"). At the time of release, that console command could have been found printed in game magazines. Fixed in 1.2, naturally.

Wesp5

Arcane
The laptop is, the door itself was not (and the door sets the flag).

The door and the hotel werewolf were already in the original game! I only connected it to the ending easter egg, which is plus patch only. Also it should be after the taxi ride and not before, so I don't understand your console fix...

Zenith

Arbiter
The door and the hotel werewolf was already in the original game! I only connected it to the ending easter egg, which is plus patch only.
In vanilla the door was keycard-only with no keycard anywhere. You changed it to be lockpickable. This, in turn, made the ending available in Basic.

why would i blame troika for such an awesome experience
I've seen people blame Troika for non-functioning doors, Confession turnstile, tutorial VA and a ton of other things the patch added. I've also seen people attributing regular vanilla graphics and quests to the patch despite it never touching them. Like I said though, the patch is more authentic now than it used to be.

Wesp5

Arcane
In vanilla the door was keycard-only with no keycard anywhere. You changed it to be lockpickable. This, in turn, made the ending available in Basic.

No. The easter egg is triggered by opening any door on the map, not only that one. I just added the laptop with the hint and lowered the number of times you need to open the doors so people would actually have a chance to figure it out! And the ending itself was plus patch only already in version 10.0...

I've seen people blame Troika for non-functioning doors, Confession turnstile, tutorial VA and a ton of other things the patch added.

All of this was always plus patch only and if people had read the readme, they would know. But then most of this stuff was left unfinished by Troika, I rarely made something up completely ;)!

Last edited:

Alphons

Cipher
For the true Bloodlines experience you should buy Half Life 2 and play Bloodlines 5 years from now.

Play with Wesp's patch. My first and only "vanilla" playthrough ended in 3rd hub when cutscene bugged out and my character couldn't move (when you confront Johnny in his club).

You can later try out Clan Quest, if you feel like having more content.

almondblight

Arcane
Be prepared to be incredibly underwhelmed by the most overrated game on the codex

Yeah, the game is OK but like a lot of Codex favorites it does a lot of things that the Codex claims to hate.

-The combat is mindless and the game often features dungeons consisting of the same 1-2 enemies cut and pasted a hundred times.

-The Hotel that gets lauded so much here has as much gameplay as a walking simulator.

-The character creation system is poor and some skills are mostly useless (like investigation).

-There roleplaying is weak and the game railroads you into doing what it likes, even if said thing is idiotic. The factions who are against your boss (the guy the game forces you to follow) try to win you over to their side, but then shrug and tell you to keep helping your boss (their enemy) accomplish his master plan. Tons of NPC's are unkillable until the game decides to let you kill them.

-Outside of Santa Monica most missions are forgettable fetch quests.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom