Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Quest For Infamy - A Quest for Glory-like Indie Adventure Game

V_K

Arcane
So I finally overcame my disgust for edgelord humor and gave it a playthrough. I can't say I didn't enjoy it but how can anyone prefer it to HQ is beyond me. Puzzles strictly split into extremely easy and monkey-wrench nonsensical (how is anyone supposed to get the cloud spell or Japsworth's seal without a walkthrough I don't know), and the story takes a nosedive after the first act. I did like exploration and world design though, and the central mystery in the first act was nice - just didn't develop into anything noteworthy.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finally got to play this. still in act 1 and it's really fun. i am choosing magic and still just stumbling around finding stuff for prospero. kinda light on puzzles, but the freedom it gave you is great, humor is on point, even the 4th wall breaking stuff is legit funny and witty.

i love it.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
finally got to play this. still in act 1 and it's really fun. i am choosing magic and still just stumbling around finding stuff for prospero. kinda light on puzzles, but the freedom it gave you is great, humor is on point, even the 4th wall breaking stuff is legit funny and witty.

i love it.

Glad you're getting a chance to play it. Hope you like the rest of it. I was looking at the source code for the game recently, trying to put a couple hours in on working on an update to the game and I was just chuckling at the size and ambition of the game. We just wanted to make that "dream game" we always had an idea for ever since we played Sierra games as a teens in the 90s. I may not have made any money on this game, but I did make something I always wanted to. Glad people are still playing and discovering it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron

i love it.

Glad you're getting a chance to play it. Hope you like the rest of it. I was looking at the source code for the game recently, trying to put a couple hours in on working on an update to the game and I was just chuckling at the size and ambition of the game. We just wanted to make that "dream game" we always had an idea for ever since we played Sierra games as a teens in the 90s. I may not have made any money on this game, but I did make something I always wanted to. Glad people are still playing and discovering it.
the scale blew my mind. after order of thorns, i kinda expect it's more or less the same, bit longer, but here i am 9 hours still in act 1 (i do loiter around alot ignoring the quest for several in game days so far and that what makes it so fun. this long and i am still discovering stuff and there's like 2 dozens of items in my pocket)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
finished it in 15 hours. the bulk of the game take place in part 1, and in part 2 and 3 it's mostly linear but the content are still good even though you dont get to explore much anymore. i think the mages vs brigand vs rouge divergence take place in part 1 too with how the necromancer quest is done. after that the main story come full crashing in. it's still really great, definitely among my top modern adventure game along with primordia, memoria, heroine's quest, etc.

I confess: QfI is simply unparalleled for me. It's not just a QfG-hommage, it's a unique game where every single pixel shows the true dedication of the developers. It's so full of adventure and wonder, always with a well placed dose of humor, but still keeps a balance between humor and seriousness. I especially like the impression of adventuring in a big, diverse valley - it manages to give me that feeling of freedom and wandering most 3D "open world"-games fail at, because it manages to achieve a coherent world design. It's such a pleasure to play for me, I even prefer it - blasphemy! - to the original QfGs (and I really adore these games). QfI will always keep a special place in my collection.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I confess: QfI is simply unparalleled for me. It's not just a QfG-hommage, it's a unique game where every single pixel shows the true dedication of the developers. It's so full of adventure and wonder, always with a well placed dose of humor, but still keeps a balance between humor and seriousness. I especially like the impression of adventuring in a big, diverse valley - it manages to give me that feeling of freedom and wandering most 3D "open world"-games fail at, because it manages to achieve a coherent world design. It's such a pleasure to play for me, I even prefer it - blasphemy! - to the original QfGs (and I really adore these games). QfI will always keep a special place in my collection.

I just printed this and put it on my fridge, you beautiful bastard.

Thanks, seriously. That means a lot. I worked hard on QFI, as did everyone who worked on it. I had hoped at the time it would have been the start of a series, and we are releasing this prequel, but I fear we'll never get to make QFI 2. Well, never get to make it the way I had hoped to make it after finishing QFI! But at least we have the first game.

Bt

While I really crave for another game like QfI, I know that it's almost impossible. Not only because of your own situation, but also because personally I find QfI to be perfect for what it is, a bright and lone star in the almost endlessly flowing and changing space of game history. I also imagine the quirky charme of the original could be difficult to reproduce a second time. QfI for me is a well-rounded masterpiece as it is and while I still hope for the updated version to arrive one day, there really isn't much that could be improved in my opinion. Sure, objectively seen it has its weaknesses - but even those weaknesses are part of its unique charme.

Straight elf

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
OMG this is a game I always wanted to play but somehow never got around to actually do it. Anyway, it costs just 2.50 euros on Steam now due to the Winter Sale! A total steal!

OMG this is a game I always wanted to play but somehow never got around to actually do it. Anyway, it costs just 2.50 euros on Steam now due to the Winter Sale! A total steal!
Indeed, a steal! And it's the perfect game for these gloomy winter days. I envy you for the possibility to enjoy QfI for the first time.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hey, here's some interesting news. There may be a possibility of QFI port to consoles. I don't have anything definite now, but it could happen. Which would be interesting.

Anyway, QFI:Roehm to Ruin will be released this fall on PCs/Mac/Linux. I don't want to become a rich asshole game designer, I just want to make enough to keep making more games. And be an asshole.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Quest for Infamy v2.0 is almost ready. Nothing huge in the update except for some graphical tweaks, some bug fixes, few minor corrections. It's now in rectangular aspect ratio, though - if anyone here is keen to test the new version, drop me a line. I don't have it up and running for Steam with Achievements yet, but that's coming and I can do a beta on there too. This would just be a direct download of it. Lemme know.

Bt

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Quest for Infamy v2.0 is almost ready. Nothing huge in the update except for some graphical tweaks, some bug fixes, few minor corrections. It's now in rectangular aspect ratio, though - if anyone here is keen to test the new version, drop me a line. I don't have it up and running for Steam with Achievements yet, but that's coming and I can do a beta on there too. This would just be a direct download of it. Lemme know.

Bt
Awesome
for whatever reason I missed it the first time around and never got around to it
This new version would be a great reason for me to finally dive in
Awesome to hear about new aspect ratio support

Bt
That's fantastic news! I look forward to the release.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
The beta of version 2.0 is up on Steam currently - you can opt in by going to the properties window, and the betas tab. Opt in to "v2 beta". There's a lengthy post on Steam that goes over a lot of the changes. There may be a few small bugs, but I think it's pretty solid.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
To quote Rocky: “Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward.” You’ve got an iron jaw, Steve, and it’s pretty damn inspiring.

Yaskr

Barely Literate

Bt
Hey, letting you know) Thank you for a great new idea of a game! Have just known about it and made it through in an instant. Great one, although I'd add this or that for laughs (of course, this takes bigger team). Won't cuss about sounds etc, the flavor of indie development is like that and is very good! I'd like to test v2.0 though I have GOG version, not Steam. There are many quest glitches that work randomely, as Roehm moves in different quest sequences.
Anyway, thank all your team for your game!

To my great pleasure I just discovered that I'm actually able to play the game on my tablet, thanks to the AGS-app (I had quite some trouble with this app however, the keyboard doesn't work on my Tab. Hacker's Keyboard was the solution). :) Will there be an official mobile version in the future?

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I don't have any plans for an official mobile version yet; we toyed around with it, but I don't really have the resources to develop it.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I don't have any plans for an official mobile version yet; we toyed around with it, but I don't really have the resources to develop it.
For what it's worth, Primordia's iOS release was quite disappointing. It's been out for about 4 years now (Primordia's been out for about 8). During the iOS release period, iOS sales were about 1/10 of Steam sales (which are themselves only a fraction, albeit the majority fraction, of PC sales). And remember, that period begins after Primordia had already been out on PC for four years, so we're comparing late-end Steam sales to first-years iOS sales. The iOS copies are also sold at a lower price on average (even accounting for the fact that Steam copies are mostly sold at a steep discount), so the monetary draw is even smaller than 1/10 of what we make on Steam.

To be sure, a few thousand more people playing Primordia is a big upside in my view -- it makes me very happy irrespective of the monetary upside. But even that gives me mixed feelings because the iOS experience is so obviously inferior. One entire puzzle (the engine wiring) had to be scrapped. Another puzzle (using the energy sensor to find the battery) is trivialized. Because you can't mouse-over to find hotspots, we have one of those garish "see all hostpots" buttons, which I dislike. Since there is no left/right click, there's a verb wheel type thing (with all two verbs) when you click on hotspots. The interface is okay, but doesn't quite fit (Ben did it, not Vic; Vic's baroque style would probably have just compounded the interface problems, though, so I get why WEG had Ben do it); the font has been enlarged to deal with smaller screens, but the new font is less charming, I think. We can't easily patch the iOS version, so it's now significantly behind the PC version -- no integrated translations (fine), but it's also missing two rounds of polishing passes that, IMO, made the game much smoother in ways that are not obvious when you play it with or without them, but which (again, IMO) exert a subtle shift on how the player experiences the game akin to the presence or absence of an annoying background noise that your brain mostly tunes out, but which makes everything just a little less pleasant.

Finally, there's no easy way to interact with iOS players the way I can interact with Steam or GOG players -- I can't even easily read the iOS reviews, and even if I could, I can't thank or respond to the reviewers.

The port was great business for us, in that the deal we negotiated with WEG traded iOS profits (which WEG got more of) for PC profits (which we got more of); I think WEG significantly underestimated the legs Primordia would have on the PC (ironically, because the same thing happened with the original contract we'd negotiated, and you'd think once fooled, twice shy -- but maybe the truth is that Dave was just being generous with us given all the work we do maintaining the PC version). Since WEG did almost all of the work of porting it (I think I think playtested twice, but didn't do much else), the net result was that Wormwood made a bunch more money than we otherwise would've, more people got to play Primordia, and we can say that the game had a multiplatform release.

But I wouldn't recommend you spending your time/energy on an iOS port. I think the way to go is maintaining the PC versions of your games, once you're feeling better, getting more games out. I know you've still got big ideas bubbling under the pot lid, and it's high time for them to spill over!

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Yeah, you pretty much nailed why I never really pursued an iOS release. It's all good, I'm just trying to wrap up v2.0 here and get that on platforms, and then finish QFI: Roehm to Ruin for a fall release. I've been finding working on the games more and more difficult lately, but that's because I've had a spate of some pretty bad health. Dialysis has been making me feel like crap lately, and I have had a hard time focusing and spending the time I used to working on things. It's funny, we only started QFI cause I got a transplant 9 years ago and I was energized enough to do it!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom