Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 1 Remastered by Krome Studios

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
yeah, those massive differences in file size are enough to make you seriously pause, but it's important to note that wasteland 1 came out at a time when storage mediums for computers were at an absolute premium and most people couldn't afford PATA/IDE HDD's and relied on 5.25 floppies instead, whereas now SATA HDD's are dirt cheap

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So i go to quit the game and im stuck in the wasteland start page with no exit game hud. Looks like a ctrl alt delete quit program deal here. Odd. I could quit before.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So in short it's the perfect remaster. Completely devoid of soul and several design steps backwards from the original.

Very top shelf work.

4too

Arcane
" ' And I come back to find the stars misplaced, And the smell of a world That is burned ... ' "

See GOG main down load of WL-ReM favors GoG Galaxy. Why?

GOG's attraction was not being as Big Brotherly Greedy as the declining first world millenial economies.

Why the arm twist to require being on line to play a purchased game?

Downloading what was called the back up. Will see. Could be over reaching.

Maybe something else has triggared my ill ease.

AND ... maybe, what Win 10 did to Solitaire!

First played Win Solitaire EGA graphics on Win 3.0, fit on a 3.5 inch floppy.

When REMASTERED, when required to be online, I stopped, thought, could find some other busy work, like wrangling jpg's.

There are so many other itches to scratch, and many use to be private.

If not bothered now allow me to annoy you .... Shadows of the Surveillance State dove tails well with the scrutiny of identity politics as privates are mandatory and maniacally public.

We all have a dog in this.

Brave New Millennium must be desperate when spinning (straw) data into dollars (gold).

If GOG makes money by daily digital minutia, by correlating my farts, guess that's the NEW DAWN. Time to wake up and smell the .... ;)

4too

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
So i go to quit the game and im stuck in the wasteland start page with no exit game hud. Looks like a ctrl alt delete quit program deal here. Odd. I could quit before.

you click on 'pause' on the ingame gui or you press the associated hot key for it

Looking at a video of this on YouTube just now and I'm so confused about this Remaster's presentation.

Characters are both presented as miniatures and normal video game characters for some reason. You and random enemies are presented as miniatures, but then you've got everyone else just standing around like normal people. I guess it's the game wanting to tell you who can and can't move around the environment but it just feels like a huge lack of cohesion. It's as if the kind of pen and paper or board game presentation it's seemingly going for was something they came to late in the game; it just has this huge lack of visual consistency that other stuff like Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Crimson Shroud, and Dragon's Crown Pro Treasure of Demon Island don't have a problem with.

The presentation of combat also seems weird here. I'd actually say it's better in the original. The original uses flavor text to color combat. This does the same but the text area is smaller, the scroll speed isn't as nice, and the little attack things they're doing with the portraits draws the eye away from the text on the right; and what they're doing on the portrait side isn't interesting enough to be pulling your eye from the text.

Like others have said the lack of quality of life improvements is also odd. Lots of little things that could have been easily fixed or made clearer to the player are just left like they were before.

I'm a tiny bit surprised the narrator they added doesn't narrate more stuff in the game. And while I know it's keeping with the original with the portraits, it would've been nice if they made new ones for all the different things you encounter that previously didn't have their own unique portraits. Would have been nice if the backgrounds also reflected the different locations you were in.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
It reminds me toy soldiers. I don't think it's abysmal, but something definitely doesn't look right; the UI clashes with the plastic-y appearance. It's like they forgot to add in postprocessing effects, so you've got a fallout-reminiscent UI with kids toys.

4too

Arcane
Morning After

Downloaded the GOG ‘back up’ files on to older acer laptop with OS upgrade Win 10 and claimed 64 bit architecture.

Processor and Intel video are under spec. 8 gig ram and solid state drive might be the deciding components.

WL-ReM boots. Window in Windows, seek that key. Important aide for marginal hardware.

My initial time sense, my preconceived notion of convenience agrees with other 2020 opinions.

MORE point and click PLEASE …

There will be a moment when no one will be holding your hand in WASTELAND.

Retro back to busy hands gameplay, the younger grip retrains to the touch typing (as rusty as my spellcheck), the pointer digit gets a rest.

Wonder if patches will occur, increasing the right click functions, programmable macros, and custom player pics as in WL2.

Also, what kept inXile from using their Kickstarter and forum data bases, to announce the availability of WL-ReM via e-mail?

RPGCodex is my NEWS conduit!

AVAILABLE NOW! was one of my expectations that were exercised as in exorcism. Banish that arcane communicative thought, via bell, book, and candle ….

Were they sure it would be the 25th, or not sure which time zone?

4too

Saduj

Arcane
Seriously, if you never played Wasteland before, I doubt you will ever figure out how to operate the UI to enter the cave and find that dammed dog.

Yeah it is really weird that they didn't add simple stuff like clicking on character names to see their stats/inventory, hovering over attributes/skills to see a description, clicking on NPCs/objects to interact with them etc. When you find the kid in the cave, the way to rescue him is to get next to him, click Enter Combat, then select Hire as the combat action for all your characters. If you use Perception in the direction of the water pump in Highpool, nothing happens. If you're standing next to it, you have to use Perception on the square you're standing in before the quest log will update. Total opposite of intuitive. Even during character creation, there is no way to undo a skill selection. Lost a good roll on a character due to misclick.

Edit: Also, I went to the doctor in Highpool before speaking with Bobby. When I spoke with Bobby, it showed the doctor's portrait, even after I saved and reloaded the game.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
you click on 'pause' on the ingame gui or you press the associated hot key for it

Well, i can try to see if that error happens again but i think it was a glitch. You know, imagine after starting cinematics you have the title screen with the menu options to load, start new, options etc on the right side and you have that back ground art (btw you can move your mouse and it sort of interacts with the art by shifting the screen).

imagine that screen but none of the menu to the right. Just stuck their looking at that interactive art. That was my error where ......

I COULDN'T LEAVE THE WASTELAND!! There was no escape from it...

No past
No future
No hope
No escape...

No exit from the game......

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, I couldn't replicate the bug yet. This is the pic I'm talking about (though use your imagination that the menu is gone.)
kvKVsvF.png

Oh well. I expect this game will be patched a lot anyways. (or hope so). I haven't looked into this macro/hotkey thing. Maybe I overlooked it in all the instructions ( I don't recall seeing them).

4too

Arcane
Disappearing Title Screen Menu

Old Acer Laptop with Celeron CPU N2820 @ 2 x 2.13 GHZ. Intel HD Graphics, supporting second monitor, 27 inch screen at 1680 x 1050 @ 60 HZ.

Option Menu of LOAD, SAVE, QUIT et al quickly shuffles off screen (stage right!) after click PAUSE or key ESCAPE.

Hunted on last seen points, on left side of screen, left and right clicks, get a pop up DO YOU WANT TO QUIT.
Answered YES, and went to a different title screen, KelghMcDeath posts it. No SAVE or QUIT, but a SETTINGS selection.

Turned off all the graphic related Hoo Ha and got a stubborn slow pull down menu response from SCREEN RESOLUTION settings.

Made sure selection was 60 HZ.

Got the WL-ReM window size close to how I wanted on 27 inch diagonal flat screen.

Option Menu on main screen stayed on right hand side. Turned the Hoo HA back on, Menu stayed in place.

Your mileage may vary. ;)

4too

Manisan

Novice
I will wait for changes to buy, because english is not my native language, and I have very trouble with old crpgs because they force me to think and write sentences that I dunno, I'm still learning, my english is very basic. I'll sugest that they give simple pre-determine sentences to player use, like: hello, name, job (we use this in ultima), and put important sentences from npc dialogs in other collors and the game system remember, like in Wizardry 8 - I think morrowind have something like this too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I will wait for changes to buy, because english is not my native language, and I have very trouble with old crpgs because they force me to think and write sentences that I dunno, I'm still learning, my english is very basic.
Your English is better than the German of the people at my almost-finished B2 German course.

Manisan

Novice
What means Elephant in this context? I know they will localize this game to other languages :\ but not to mine.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I know which animal is :\ but I dunno in context, but forget it.
For whatever it's worth, the meaning isn't obvious to a native speaker either. My best guess is it relates to the idiom of 'the elephant in the room' (the big obvious yet-unspoken thing).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom