Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FPS game for a casual

schru

Arcane
Regarding Doom and Duke Nukem 3D, I would recommend giving them another try with SC-55 music recordings, which add a great deal to these games' feel, and in case of the former, with a source port configured to emulate the original engine as closely as possible (software renderer, no vertical mouse-look, no additional movement functions like jumping, strict compatibility options in GZDoom). For the longest time I didn't give those games a proper try because they felt awkward the way they were pre-configured in various releases, but they turned out to be really excellent when set up properly. Also, the skies look better in the software renderer in Duke's source ports.

As mentioned by others, Blood and Shadow Warrior are also excellent, but they're variations on Duke's gameplay. The movement in the Redux version of Shadow Warrior which uses a source port feels worse compared to the DOSBox version, I think.

I don't think Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is very good at all. The Omaha Beach landing is exciting, but otherwise it's one of the most tediously scripted shooters ever. I've replayed the first two original Medal of Honor games for PlayStation along with Allied Assault recently and I found the former to be much more enjoyable in terms of how the shooting felt, the animations, and atmosphere. The Breakthrough expansion pack was pretty nice, however.

Also, regarding Far Cry, I'm not sure of it, but I think the 64-bit version (which isn't the default), while looking better, has some bugs that break scripting in certain places and such. All versions require some fix for terrain reflections in the water on new systems.

As for other titles, I'd also recommend Quake, just use _inmm.dll for the music with the original WinQuake version or else a source port that supports music files and fullbright with overbright lighting in every rendering mode.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is indeed a fun game, but it has some futuristic weapons later on and the new PC version has abridged levels as well as other changes.

Quake II is reasonably fun in how straightforward it is and the levels are designed in a way that makes them fun to explore, even if they're not very complicated. Again, additional means are required to get the music working.

Since it was mentioned, I second the recommendation for Unreal. Use the OldUnreal semi-official patch to make it compatible with modern systems; disable MultiTextures in advanced settings (accessible through console) to get the graphics to render right, otherwise the game looks really bad compared to how it should.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Battlefield 3. Realistic guns, good level design, some segments that mix things up, not terribly difficult (on normal, I can't vouch for the other settings) and a bad, Law & Order caliber story t'boot.

I remember that game's singleplayer being complete shit.

hoothoot

Arcane
Patron
The first crysis is cool. Nothing like starting a fight by emerging from stealth to throw someone through a tin shed.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Another vote for No One Lives Forever. I'm still holding out hope that Night Dive Studios (the same group that found a way to resurrect System Shock 2) manages to untangle the licensing clusterfuck so that the NOLF series can get on GOG where it belongs.

In the meantime, you can get it here for free, patched to run on modern versions of Windows, and wide-screen: http://nolfrevival.tk

It's also worth playing because the game has some genuinely funny moments.

BRO LOLLOLLLOL LET ME GET THIS STRATE

YOU PREFER GOG TO A FREE DOWNLOAD LINK THAT IS PATCHED FOR MODERB OS?!!

There was no mention of:

Hexen 2
Strife
Last Rites
Isle of the Dead
Redneck Rampage
SiN: Episodes
Target
Mortyr 2093-1944
Pył
Red Faction
C&C: Renegade
Necrovision / The Lost Company

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Not the first game that comes to mind when thinking about realistic or semi-realistic guns.
Normal gun count 1 (it's good, though)

Red Faction
Good game and most weapons are firearms, but it's on Mars and you spend most of it in a (light) spacesuit.

If OP just wanted good oldish FPS I would have just recommended Unreal.

HansDampf

Arcane
I'd suggest XIII, but it has checkpoints instead of quicksaves. Maybe just play it on low difficulty? Fits all the other criteria.
It's old. Looks like a comic book. There is a bit of stealth. No Lazers. Spectacular death effects.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
XIII, Command & Conquer: Renegade, NOLF, Powerslave, Soldier of Fortune, Gunman Chronicles, the first Far Cry, first CoD, first MoH, etc.

Curratum

Why would you suggest the first MoH to anyone looking for a casual game? MoH AA is so full of cheap, ridiculous deaths you never even see coming, it's not even funny.

As for OP, seeing that he doesn't like Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke and the like, I think the only solution is to play Daikatana - it's a great shooter game directed and envisioned by one of the people who worked on Doom, but this time he was the lead of the studio and could finally REALLY make a great game. I promise you, it's nothing like Doom.

Seriously, though, OP, you're giving so many conditions and reject so many obvious suggestions in your first post, it's impossible to recommend anything.

Cerulean

Cipher
BRO LOLLOLLLOL LET ME GET THIS STRATE

YOU PREFER GOG TO A FREE DOWNLOAD LINK THAT IS PATCHED FOR MODERB OS?!!

In case you're serious... yeah. Not to pay the original Devs (they're long gone), but to support Night Dive. They put in a lot of effort to get NOLF back, even if it hasn't been successful yet, and I like the idea of supporting them in getting even more games out of the sort of legal Hell that NOLF got lost in.

Plus, it's nice to have an executable I can just download from GOG and run, without feeling like I need to run a few virus-scanners on it first. :)

oscar

Arcane
Definitely EYE Divine Cybermancy since you liked DX (it's basically that with very satisfying gunplay/powers in a cool French sci-fi setting of Warhammer 40k + Dune + a lot of LSD). Cheap as chips and quite pretty too.

The first few Hitman games might scratch your itch too.

Kliwer

Savant
Wow, thank You very much for a massive feedback!

Due to Your comments and some Youtube materials I will probably try: F.E.A.R., Kingpin (I’m interested in proto-DeusEx, but it could be too difficult for me) and No One Lives Forever. I will also check Unreal (I should have a CD somewhere).

The thing is that most of FPS games quickly bore me, or are too difficult on later levels. I’m mostly playing them on normal or lower settings.

I have finished Serious Sam on normal without much trouble. It was a good ride, I like the sense of humor in this game, as well as some open space levels with hordes of monsters to slaughter. “Luckily” (in this case) this game is not too long so I was able to finish it.

In case of Half-Life there are two things that rejected me: monotonous style of levels (it’s not about design itself but decorations: the same laboratory corridors over and over again) and unpleasant look of those mutants (there is something very disgusting in them, at least for me). It is a shame because I very like some light puzzles in this game; and also the magnum revolver is one of my favorite FPS weapons.

I like, to some extent, Soldier of Fortune – there are cool weapons and very cool death effects, but levels structure is a bit too primitive. I also like that every level is set in a different environment. But, as I have already mentioned, at later levels the game is much too difficult for me (I played it on normal but at some point I had to abuse quick-load so It was not very fun – ye, I’m real noob in this type of games).

Deus Ex is a bit different story – I played it more like an RPG than a shooter. But for now I’m looking only for a time-waster to play 2-3 hours ones a week.

Thanks again. I will also check some other propositions of Yours.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
As for OP, seeing that he doesn't like Doom, Wolfenstein, Duke and the like, I think the only solution is to play Daikatana - it's a great shooter game directed and envisioned by one of the people who worked on Doom, but this time he was the lead of the studio and could finally REALLY make a great game. I promise you, it's nothing like Doom.

Daikatana was, and is, crap. And I really wanted that game to succeed.

oscar

Arcane
EYE Divine Cybermancy
This game is mainly about grinding, it doesn't offer an interesting campaign, but you can just run through it and be done with it.

There is some branching at least (depending on your actions and who you support) in the final missions and the level design is quite good (visually appealing, large and a variety of ways to tackle objectives). The main campaign doesn't require any grinding in the slightest.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I also remember an obscure Russian shooter called Chasm. It was like a mix of Quake and Daikatana (actually more fun than Daikatana).

Kliwer

Savant
SuperHot celebrates 4 years on Steam and is currently on sale for 4$ or something

I have played this game with those magical 3d googles (“Oculus” or something) – it was a blast. Disarming an enemy and dual-wielding shooting was great. I wish to play such a game with real graphics and with a free-movement (on googles you can’t move from starting position).

It is a pity that I smashed my head against a real table.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom