Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
You on this train as well? That surprises me. Kingmaker's combat past level 8 is a degenerate mess. Before that I really enjoyed it but after, the creases in Pathfinder and the sheer lack of balance that resultats from the complexity start to break the game down

I'm just going by Codex consensus. I haven't started it, though I will try soon.
This is not only the case in Kingmaker, though, it was a problem with D&D higher levels in general.

Untrue, at least when we're talking scale. The problem is vastly bigger in 3.5/PF than in AD&D (and I say this as someone who loves 3.5/PF and really dislikes AD&D). Reason being AD&D's layers of spell protection, which is also what ultimately leads to Baldur's Gate on SCS being so interesting.

3.5/PF breaks down firstly because of its complexity which makes AD&D-rules look like a carefully balanced game of deterministic chess, and second because the emphasis is put so squarely on attacks while defenses are mostly a waste of time. As such, just to try and balance the game just a tiny, tiny bit, even on lower difficulties than the highest, Kingmaker piles loads and loads and loads of random stats on top the enemies - they get shit like +40AC, +20 saving throws and so on. Just to have the slightest chance of beating the onslaught of rules you're throwing at them.

PF is fun because of the character customization and Kingmaker *really* shines in this department, but beyond the lower levels I didn't have a single, interesting combat encounter for the same reason.

You'll get critics saying the game is dogshit for this reason and apologetic fans denying the lack of balance by calling you a Sawyerist or whatever. The truth is pretty simple: Kingmaker pays for a *heavenly* deep character customization experience with an utter lack of balance unrivaled by most other games.

Allyriadil

Educated
People who like rtwp should be put in prison.

At least it allows me to turbo through thrash encounters. D:OS had plenty of them.
I would love to see something like the combat from the Goldbox games again, but yeah it's Larian we are talking about. Almost all their games are riddled with terrible design decisions.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
So I really can't be excited about something just because it's AAA.
It's not only because it's AAA, it's because it's the first ever turn-based D&D RPG. With an AAA budget. It might introduce more people to D&D and RPGs. Yeah, I guess that budget forces them into a weird modern 3D space and I hate that, but eh, we'll see how it turns out. I would have preferred a bit more style over generic 3D, but I also know you win some you lose some.

Grunker, I meant the corresponding D&D edition, i.e. 3 or 3.5. AD&D also has such a problem, though, but it's confined only to the mages really.

5kynoio1.png

Mazisky

Magister
I see no timer or clock in the UI: so, they are not making a day night cycle just like Dos1 and 2? Because all Bgs had it.

This would be a total decline.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
With an AAA budget.
And that's an issue. AAA product requires AAA sales, and those imply as wide audience as possible, ergo a shallow game.
Like I said, I expect this to be Larian's swansong because a lengthy TB RPG is not AAA territory. I don't really see how they would manage to spread it as wide as possible with the other aspects. Graphics? Ok, but everything else? It doesn't seem like it's ripe for lowest common denominator.

Vatnik Wumao
With an AAA budget.
And that's an issue. AAA product requires AAA sales, and those imply as wide audience as possible, ergo a shallow game.
Like I said, I expect this to be Larian's swansong because a lengthy TB RPG is not AAA territory.
You should get a job as a publisher.
I'm guessing that it pays well to be a male prostitute in Berlin and he enjoys it too))

Mortmal

Arcane
So I really can't be excited about something just because it's AAA.
It's not only because it's AAA, it's because it's the first ever turn-based D&D RPG ever. With an AAA budget. Yeah, I guess that budget forces them into a weird modern 3D space and I hate that, but eh, we'll see how it turns out. I would have preferred a bit more style over generic 3D, but I also know you win some you lose some.

Grunker, I meant the corresponding D&D edition, i.e. 3 or 3.5. AD&D also has such a problem, though, but it's confined only the mages really.
You are right, its the biggest real D&D crpg with such a huge budget , it's really ballsy from larian. As for it looking generic, its the forgotten realms, they cant do miracle… One can hope if it works good we get new settings after that.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Untrue, at least when we're talking sca The problem is vastly bigger in 3.5/PF than in AD&D (and I say this as someone who loves 3.5/PF and really dislikes AD&D). Reason being AD&D's layers of spell protection, which is also what ultimately leads to Baldur's Gate on SCS being so interesting.

Correct me if I am wrong, but BG's layers of spell protections were never a thing in any (A)D&D edition.

Completely broken spells that give unlimited immunity to all weapons for a 4(!) rounds is purely Bioware's creation and exist only as a crutch to give AI fighting chance. Remove it, and all concept of mage duel falls apart and it is an only thing that salvages high level fights in BG 2.

Codex Year of the Donut
Untrue, at least when we're talking sca The problem is vastly bigger in 3.5/PF than in AD&D (and I say this as someone who loves 3.5/PF and really dislikes AD&D). Reason being AD&D's layers of spell protection, which is also what ultimately leads to Baldur's Gate on SCS being so interesting.

Correct me if I am wrong, but BG's layers of spell protections were never a thing in any (A)D&D edition.

Completely broken spells that gives unlimited immunity to all weapons for a 4(!) rounds is purely Bioware's creation and exist only as a crutch to give AI fighting chance. Remove it, and all concept of mage duel falls apart and itis a only thing that salvages high level fights in BG 2.
Many things in the BG games aren't true to the rules. A bunch of splat rules are applied incorrectly, many divine and arcane spells are mixed up, spells at the wrong level, a bunch of things pulled from unofficial sources, etc.,

Ausdoerrt

Augur
DOS2 was immensely popular despite being a messy pile of what the hell and a clear downgrade over #1 in most areas.
It had a more generic / mainstream story, which is what sold it to most people, I think. DOS1 was more like proof of concept.

Which this will have to an even higher degree, only support my point :D
Not arguing - I prefer DOS1, myself.

This honestly astounds me. I know plenty of people with fairly diverse gaming tastes, casual and hardcore but none like DoS2, yet online it seems popular and it has good player numbers of steam. Where do all these people come from? Who are they?
Like, other people who play games outside of this forum and your immediate circle? Also, non-RPG gamers? In any case, DOS made enough dough to warrant a kickstarter for a tabletop game, ffs. It's popular, alright.

People wanted PoE-esque art with good D&D-based combat (whether turn-based or rtwp) and normal-looking dialogue. As it is now, when it comes to successors, PoE wins art, Kingmaker wins combat and writing (low bar), BG3 wins, uh... maybe the combat will hold up?
PoE wins art, really? Was it the uncanny valley portraits, Unity-quality character models, or the samey environments? :)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Completely broken spells that give unlimited immunity to all weapons for a 4(!) rounds is purely Bioware's creation and exist only as a crutch to give AI fighting chance. Remove it, and all concept of mage duel falls apart and it is an only thing that salvages high level fights in BG 2.

I'm talking about protection from spells specifically, not stuff like immunity to weapons. The skeleton for these exist in the rules, it was just built upon in the IE-games.

And don't cite me for calling AD&D balanced on higher levels, please. Anyone who knows anything about me will know I think the exact opposite. Even so, it cannot compete with PF/3.5 in this regard, and the main reason is the vast increase in complexity.

In any case, my point still stands even if the reason isn't the same. And Kingmaker uses even more basic crutches, such as the aforementioned piles and piles of stats heaped on top of opponents. Yet it is not near enough to stop combat from being an auto-attack fest past level 8. In rare occassions, you will have to buff before auto-attacking and in even rarer cases the game gives an enemy immunity to all conventional attacks meaning you have to use something incredibly specific (or use Deadly Earth spam) to defeat it. These latter encounters are not difficult tactically, they only demand you identify the correct strategic solution (...or Deadly Earth spam...) after which you just apply that ad nauseam. And they really only exist at the end of the game.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

Imagine thinking we could have incline for a change.

I'll probably buy it when it's like 80% off and never play it, like i did with Pillars and nuTorment lmao

RIP childhood, never to be seen again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom