Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
Right, so they went lazy ass route and are re-using assets and textures. X
Graphics are fucking generic and ugly, don't look like AAA or even AA game to me. Ugly models, ugly UI, ugly fucking icons(although they kinda work), ugly artstyle. X
Retarded dialogues options. Looks like they followed template: 1) Agree 2) Ask stupid question 3)*I drew a sword*. X
Game got some verticality. V
It's TB ( frankly both RTW and TB would work for me). V
Cinematic camera closeups. X
Price will be fucking 60USD. X
It's supposed to be DnD ( although heavily tempered with). V
Anyhow I'm gonna rate this game at 6/10 pirates. Meaning I wont buy that crap, but I shall acquire it anyway.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
4 screenshots is enough for Codexians to draw objective conclusion about game's quality- be it gameplay, atmosphere, quality of writing or political stances of every staff member working on the game.
Your point is? You don't think it's enough?
Wrong. The fact that they are taking the risk with turn-based and isometric on this budget is already a big win. It has never been done before.
What risks? TB and ISO is a MAIN STREAM. NuXcom.

PS
I see that RPG Codex if full of obvious plants nowadays (newfags), saying that new games are good for some reason. DECLINE.

Right, so they went laze ass route and reusing assets and textures. X
Graphics are trucking generic and ugly don't look like AAA or even AA game to me. Ugly models, ugly UI, ugly fucking icons(although they kinda work), ugly artstyle. X
Retarded dialogues options. Looks like they folow tem 1) Agree 2) Ask stupid question 3)*I drew a sword*. X
It got some veriticality. V
It's TB ( frankly both RTW and TB would work for me)
It's supposed to be DnD ( although heavily tempered with) V
Anyhow I'm gonna rate this game at 6/10 pirates. Meaning I wont buy that crap, but I shall acquire it anyway.
*Thonius rolled language and logic skill checks. He failed both, miserably*

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's the only such mainstream game, though. It's also pretty dumbed down, I especially hate the silly cover mechanics, which I'm not seeing in the screenshots.

Codex Year of the Donut
SokOzyi.gif

Doma

Augur
I just loved that the screens leaked around lunchtime. This thread have been top entertainment during the workday.

Now to go fire up a new run of POE1+Expansions.

:incline:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
If you're asking me why the screen-shotted dialog is bad writing, I'm going to assume English isn't your first language. If English is your first language, and you still don't see a problem with that horribly clunky shit, you have no taste or you can't fucking read.
Yeah, it's not my first language, indeed, and it looks like it barely qualifies as yours, as well, given the poor reading comprehension.

I have forgotten more about writing than you'll ever learn you dolt. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. There are rules for writing good dialog, and the screenshots indicate that Larian is either unfamiliar with them, or doesn't care. Your input seems to be some kind of Rube Goldberg machine of excuse-making for their terrible aesthetic choices. When you say things like "show don't tell doesn't apply because this is an interactive medium," it is clear to me you have no idea what you're talking about.

Put two sentences side-by-side:

*I told the hell spawn to cut to the chase. What did he want?*
"Cut to the chase. What do you want?"

Now, explain what the extra verbiage and the filtered perspective of the first choice adds to the experience. Explain why telling someone you said something is better than showing you saying something.

Please, since you're so great at this. Demonstrate for us.

Thonius

Arcane
Right, so they went laze ass route and reusing assets and textures. X
Graphics are trucking generic and ugly don't look like AAA or even AA game to me. Ugly models, ugly UI, ugly fucking icons(although they kinda work), ugly artstyle. X
Retarded dialogues options. Looks like they folow tem 1) Agree 2) Ask stupid question 3)*I drew a sword*. X
It got some veriticality. V
It's TB ( frankly both RTW and TB would work for me)
It's supposed to be DnD ( although heavily tempered with) V
*Thonius rolled language and logic skill checks. He failed both, miserably*
I give you grammar but what about logic? Is it because I don't like BG3?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I admit, given Larian aren't anglo devs + the weird shit they make their characters say sometimes, I often wonder if they have non-English natives writing the script.

I dunno about Belgians, but Dutch people definitely tend think they're all amazing at English, when in fact they inject a bunch of their own idioms and grammar. It reads awfully to native speakers.

Saravan

Savant
If you're asking me why the screen-shotted dialog is bad writing, I'm going to assume English isn't your first language. If English is your first language, and you still don't see a problem with that horribly clunky shit, you have no taste or you can't fucking read.
Yeah, it's not my first language, indeed, and it looks like it barely qualifies as yours, as well, given the poor reading comprehension.

I have forgotten more about writing than you'll ever learn you dolt. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. There are rules for writing good dialog, and the screenshots indicate that Larian is either unfamiliar with them, or doesn't care. Your input seems to be some kind of Rube Goldberg machine of excuse-making for their terrible aesthetic choices. When you say things like "show don't tell doesn't apply because this is an interactive medium," it is clear to me you have no idea what you're talking about.

Put two sentences side-by-side:

*I told the hell spawn to cut to the chase. What did he want?*
"Cut to the chase. What do you want?"

Now, explain what the extra verbiage and the filtered perspective of the first choice adds to the experience. Explain why telling someone you said something is better than showing you saying something.

Please, since you're so great at this. Demonstrate for us.

Jesus christ can you breathe for two seconds, you have seen a few leaked screenshots with zero context in pre-early access development timeframe and conclude the enterity of the dialogue will be written in that way. Grab your asthma inhaler and relax.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

Oh yeah, you're so much more reasonable than those who say it's shit.

Just how butthurt and insecure do you have to be to have at least 2 of these desperate posts per page?

Jesus christ can you breathe for two seconds, you have seen a few leaked screenshots with zero context in pre-early access development timeframe and conclude the enterity of the dialogue will be written in that way. Grab your asthma inhaler and relax.

Imagine being retarded enough to think that it will not be all written like this. Yeah, sure, they just released screenshots from a particular part of the game, the only one like this. Not to mention that is their trademark as well.

I have forgotten more about writing than you'll ever learn you dolt. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. There are rules for writing good dialog, and the screenshots indicate that Larian is either unfamiliar with them, or doesn't care. Your input seems to be some kind of Rube Goldberg machine of excuse-making for their terrible aesthetic choices. When you say things like "show don't tell doesn't apply because this is an interactive medium," it is clear to me you have no idea what you're talking about..
No, I didn't.
Just to prove once again my point that you have awful reading comprehension skill.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
This is Stockholm syndrome in action.

"It's not what i expected from a sequel to Baldur's Gate, but hey, compared to the alternatives Original Sin 3 with D&D rules it's the best we could have hoped for".

Maybe it is, but at that point they could have just made any type of D&D game and call it a day.

Either way, ALL i'm saying is that the fact the game is turn based does not in and of itself make this a win. We certainly need to see how it's implemented first.

Idk man, the weird pausing-all-the-fucking-time combat of the original BG games is like my least favourite thing about them. TB combat IS D&D, not a corruption of it.

Baldur's Gate and D&D are two different things. Temple of Elemental Evil had a much better implementation of true D&D combat than Baldur's Gate did but you wouldn't call it a better Baldur's Gate game.

Barring the fact the writing and tone of the game isn't actually as good as we remember it, it's still a fact that Baldur's Gate was as much about the adventure as it was a combat game, probably more so in the first one where 70% of the game was just an endless series of trash combat punctuated by a tough fight or two for every map you explored until you got to Baldur's Gate (of course, they were trying to replicate Fellowship of the Ring they had to keep it simple or it wouldn't have worked for that open world, exploratory part of the game).

But really, the point is that this doesn't look like Baldur's Gate 3. It looks like Original Sin 3 except now it's D&D. Maybe a best case scenario considering the alternatives but certainly not exactly a successful sequel to that game, not for any of us who remember what it was like when Baldur's Gate hit the market.

Personally though, what i find disheartening is this industrialization of the fantasy genre. Only way i can describe it. Back when Baldur's Gate was released, the fantasy genre was still seen as something mystical and atmospheric:

We grew up watching those movies as kids, and reading stuff like Lord of the Rings, and when Baldur's Gate came out we got a chance to experience those things in a more direct, personal way, but now everything seems so generic and routine.

TL;DR: i wanted to relive my childhood and you just gave me yet another generic modern gayme lmao

But before you say anything, note one thing. If they didn't call this Baldur's Gate, if this game had been advertised as Original Sin with D&D rules, this thread would have been a fraction of what it is now, so don't tell me the nostalgia factor wasn't an important aspect to the expectation.

Thonius

Arcane
It's the only such mainstream game, though. It's also pretty dumbed down, I especially hate the silly cover mechanics, which I'm not seeing in the screenshots.
Eh case in point - DOS2, that new NuXcom clone, Whole Total war series with TB and RT combat, Paradox games it's not that hard to find a game that is TB and Popular. You're still thinking of categories from that Obsidian half troll half vamprie Urghart.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I've just noticed this weird dialogue structure. Like, really, I've wondered? Then I gone and wrote a comment about it on Codex. And drew my sword.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom