Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate 3 screenshots accidentally leaked, appears to be isometric and turn-based

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Hopefully it's inclined on the combat front, because that dialogue is a DAI-like abomination. Not too many options either.

Ol'man

Educated
d20 is gone too
?????

This looks absolutely awesome, everything I hoped for in a Larian BG3 and more!
The only concern I have is that those hit percentages seem a bit high for a D&D 5E game. Hopefully it's just because the screenshots were taken at "game journalist" difficulty setting, but Swen's "Missing doesn't work in a computer game" statement still worries me.
Against low level enemies with low AC (a zombie has AC 8), you can easily reach those hit percentages. With 18 Dexterity and +2 proficiency, you miss only on a natural 1 (or double natural 1 with advantage).

I don't know why Sven worried about missing. 5e's bounded accuracy fixes this, as you level. If it is such an issue at low levels, drop enemy AC lvls 1-5, or add proficiency as miss damage so you don't end up with the bard doing nothing for 4 rounds.

Ventidius

Arbiter
Knowing that it's gonna be turn-based puts my main worry to rest. We also know that most of the kludgy mechanics of DOS2 won't be surfacing here thanks to the D&D ruleset.

The story-related elements are probably gonna be lackluster, didn't need to see a preview of the dialogue system to figure that one out. Neither Larian nor the Baldur's Gate franchise have a very good track record on this front. I just hope they keep the goofy stuff to a minimum. This is gonna be a combatchad game in practice, much like BG2 was.

The only things making me sceptical at this point are 1) the itemization, as there is no reason to think it will be any different from past Larian titles, and 2) the balance/challenge, since Larian only seems to be able to make content challenging by relying on the crutch of kludgy, arbitrary systems.

Still, this seems to be shaping up well, overall. Looking forward to the official reveal.

Lol, the dialogue is straight out of D:OS2. *Me thinks I will shit on this type of retarded dialogue*

Why the hell would anyone use this dialogue structure? It would take someone so insane, that they would ... oh I dunno, make the plot about cat issues.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Knowing that it's gonna be turn-based puts my main worry to rest. We also know that most of the kludgy mechanics of DOS2 won't be surfacing here thanks to the D&D ruleset.

The story-related elements are probably gonna be lackluster, didn't need to see a preview of the dialogue system to figure that one out. Neither Larian nor the Baldur's Gate franchise have a very good track record on this front. I just hope they keep the goofy stuff to a minimum. This is gonna be a combatchad game in practice, much like BG2 was.

The only things making me sceptical at this point are 1) the itemization, as there is no reason to think it will be any different from past Larian titles, and 2) the balance/challenge, since Larian only seems to be able to make content challenging by relying on the crutch of kludgy, arbitrary systems.

Still, this seems to be shaping up well, overall. Looking forward to the official reveal.
What's the problem with "Larian" itemization? It's a serious question, I never played D:OS 1 and 2 because I can't stand the writing and I never managed to go past the first few levels.

What's the problem with "Larian" itemization? It's a serious question, I never played D:OS 1 and 2 because I can't stand the writing and I never managed to go past the first few levels.

Larian itemization: 2-handed sword of sparks and healing - very diablo-like, each name just represents some stat boost

BG1/2 itemization: Berserker's Edge - Paragraph about weapon history and unique effects.

himmy

Arcane
Despite all the bitching and moaning, this will be the Codex GOTY, calling it now.
I don't see much bitching and moaning actually. For codex, this is pretty positive reaction overall.

Fair.

And just to clarify, it's not like I'm some Larian fanboy who thinks Swen can do no wrong. I mean, the UI does look kinda wack, and the writing style is uhhh...gotta see it in action to really get a feel of it, but I',m not crazy about it so far. All I'm saying is that as a whole, this feels like another game that will delight both the Codex and the normie hordes, like Witcher 3 and D:OS did.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

Larian itemization: 2-handed sword of sparks and healing - very diablo-like, each name just represents some stat boost

BG1/2 itemization: Berserker's Edge - Paragraph about weapon history and unique effects.
"Larian" itemization is simply impossible within the context of D&D 5, then. This edition handles magic items in a completely different way from 3.5/pathfinder: magic items are scarce and unique. You have your flaming sword and your vorpal sword, but there are not properties that you can "mix" to obtain a "Vorpal flaming sword of speed +2".

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron

The main problem in DOS2 was, that there were huge numerical jumps between an item level, therefore you HAD to upgrade items almost every level, because otherwise the armor system of that game would have fucked you over. You either deal no dmg to enemies which suddenly have another 100 points of AC or ES because +1 lvl, or you get completley wrecked, because you are missing those additional 100 points of AC or ES because you didnt upgrade for two levels. I think this won't be so much of a problem here, because it's 5E. But still, one god damn big flaw in DOS2, imo.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Gfx was never Larian’s problem. It was content. Thus far I’ve seen way too little to judge it.

aris

Arcane
Looks like D:OS 2, uses D:OS 2's controversial third-person dialogue, welp.
Dragon age 2 was a bad game, but not because of the dialogue style. As far as I can remember, people had many valid complaints about it, the combat being the main one. I don't remember many people singling out the fact that they used third-person dialogue as the reason for it being bad.

Ventidius

Arbiter

Their approach to itemization tends to be diablo-like, in other words, loot tends to be randomly generated and becomes obsolete relatively quickly.

"Larian" itemization is simply impossible within the context of D&D 5, then

They can still randomize the actual weapon types (mace, sword, axe, etc) and the effects attached (Confusion, Sparks, etc.), but that may not be that much of a problem (and indeed, Icewind Dale had a similar system, combined with handcrafted loot of course) if they refrain from inflating the numbers to the point that loot becomes obsolete quickly. To be fair, number inflation might indeed be mitigated somewhat by 5E, since D&D in general doesn't mix well with number inflation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Icewind Dale had containers where you might randomly find different handcrafted items. Not the same thing as items whose attributes are themselves randomly generated like in Diablo and D:OS.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Despite all the bitching and moaning, this will be the Codex GOTY, calling it now.
I don't see much bitching and moaning actually. For codex, this is pretty positive reaction overall.

If everyone is going around screaming that the current subject "is gonna be awesome", everything is good and level headed.
If some people say they don't like it? Well, fuck you! What's with all the bitching and moaning??????

Ventidius

Arbiter
Icewind Dale had containers where you might randomly find different handcrafted items. Not the same thing as items whose attributes are themselves randomly generated like in Diablo and D:OS.

Indeed, I misspoke, as I meant that handplaced items like Messenger of Sseth or the fixed store items were mixed with the handcrafted items that were randomly placed. Nonetheless, it remains the case that this is similar, in practice, to the hypothetical randomization that I suggested that Larian could implement, and it would not be a major issue by itself, just as Icewind Dale's was not. Of course, the implementation of powerful handplaced items was part of the reason why Icewind Dale's itemization was so good, so I'd prefer it if Larian added some of that too.

aris

Arcane
Shit I hope loot won't be procedurally generated. Procedurally generated loot is always generic loot. I absolutely hated that from NWN, it was a huge fucking decline.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
They can still randomize the actual weapon types (mace, sword, axe, etc) and the effects attached (Confusion, Sparks, etc.), but that may not be that much of a problem (and indeed, Icewind Dale had a similar system, combined with handcrafted loot of course) if they refrain from inflating the numbers to the point that loot becomes obsolete quickly. To be fair, number inflation might indeed be mitigated somewhat by 5E, since D&D in general doesn't mix well with number inflation.
They really can't inflate numbers with D&D 5, because the math at the core of the system is constrained by very strict rules. Adding a simple +1 is a really big deal and the core handbooks try to tell you every other page that you should never give numeric bonuses.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
The itemization and the power curve are the two worst aspects of both Divinity Original Sin games, with 2 being the worse offender. Larian has not demonstrated an ability to make items or their stats interesting, or have them otherwise involve interesting choices, or instill them with any sense of permanence or prestige. I would not expect much from BG3, and if there are improvements, they are probably going to be easier to attribute to D&D 5e than Larian's own ingenuity.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shit I hope loot won't be procedurally generated. Procedurally generated loot is always generic loot. I absolutely hated that from NWN, it was a huge fucking decline.

NWN also had standard D&D loot items that were randomly placed. The items themselves were not "procedurally generated" like in D:OS. You might find a Sword +1 in one container and a Dagger +2 in the other, but never a Sword of +13% Fire Damage or a Dagger of +3 Dexterity (unless those happened to be handcrafted unique items).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom