Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I got curious enough to go digging through my books looking to see if I misremembered.

2nd Ed. DMG p. 166, effects range from gain 1d4 wishes, random magic items or XP, lose XP, become imprisoned or be destroyed.
3rd Ed. item doesn't exist.* Magic items in the DMG go from Deck of Illusions straight to Dimensional Shackles. DMG p. 215.
4th Ed. item doesn't exist.* As above, different page numbers. (Didn't bring the book upstairs.)
5th Ed. PHB p. 162-164. Actually you're right, this edition brings it back to pretty close to the 2nd Ed. version.

* If it was brought back in splatbooks, I may or may not have them. I don't have a photographic memory, but I distinctly recall being bummed out in those editions when it wasn't there.

It's right there in the 3.5 DMG. Artifacts sections, page 278.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
This looks like Divinity OS but with Baldur's Gate's name slapped on top of it. Why not just make Divinity 3? I don't think many people still care about the Baldur's Gate franchise so I doubt this move would bring them many more sales.
It's not Baldurs Gate crowd that they want, they want Dragon Age and Critical Role fans. Thats why they spent money on metrosexual 3d models, motion capture and voice acting. And it will probably work out quite well for them. I mean, have you seen the fucking numbers on Critical Role kickstarter?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This looks like Divinity OS but with Baldur's Gate's name slapped on top of it. Why not just make Divinity 3? I don't think many people still care about the Baldur's Gate franchise so I doubt this move would bring them many more sales.
It's not Baldurs Gate crowd that they want, they want Dragon Age and Critical Role fans. Thats why they spent money on metrosexual 3d models, motion capture and voice acting. And it will probably work out quite well for them. I mean, have you seen the fucking numbers on Critical Role kickstarter?

On one hand, Critical Role did arguably draw more attention to DnD, which is generally a good thing for a hobby I enjoy.

On the other hand, it's Critical Role, so :negative:.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I don't usually follow hype, so I'm not used to how it goes in current gen gaming, but it's pretty amazing: 2,500 people waiting for a stream 2 hours before its commencement.

Curratum

I don't usually follow hype, so I'm not used to how it goes in current gen gaming, but it's pretty amazing: 2,500 people waiting for a stream 2 hours before its commencement.

I thought you had all the authoritative data and figures about BG's fandom and audience, what do you mean you're surprised 2500 people are waiting to watch?

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Its just a browser tab you keep open while doing other things. Not like you are standing in a queue somewhere outside. I just got home and I have it open too, so that it starts making noises and reminds me when its time to watch.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I thought you had all the authoritative data and figures about BG's fandom and audience, what do you mean you're surprised 2500 people are waiting to watch?

I simply mean I don't usually follow hype. I've got some data on my blog already: certain keyword searches. I said it would be big about 100 pages ago, but it's still interesting to observe.

I think Wizards Of The Coast, who have the rights to the series, were the one who suggested Larian makes a BG3. They are very actively shilling D&D lately (7 games based on their property are in development)

Farewell into the night

I'm not going even watch this console rpg BG decline DOS2 clone gameplay for DOS2 audience, because BEST RPG 2017 my a$$!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom