Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The stream was cringe to watch and the questions at the end made me think that maybe I am too old to continue living in this planet. The questions were like "I am a big fan. What is rpg and how to play it?"

I am fine with visuals looking like DOS2, but on the other hand, I was not expecting to watch a stream for DOS3, and this is what I have just watched. Cursor is the same, elemental environment, scenarios, movement, buttons, labels, GUI, icons, character creation, pre made characters... Even the way you start the game is the same!

This can be a great game, but something was lost from the old BG style and this is kinda sad.

I was not expecting that.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
By the gods, they had the balls to do pure turn-based! That's why I love Larian. Enjoying the shitstorm so far.

Also, this was pretty much pure D&D, closest to PnP since TOEE. All those skill actions, just wow.

The only time I cringed a bit was at the camp scene, which felt a bit too much like DA:O.

All in all, we have the makings of a great modern D&D game with open exploration, reactivity and a fantastic combat system. Can't wait to throw money at this as soon as possible.

Yosharian

Arcane
The stream was cringe to watch and the questions at the end made me think that maybe I am too old to continue living in this planet. The questions were like "I am a big fan. What is rpg and how to play it?"

I am fine with visuals looking like DOS2, but on the other hand, I was not expecting to watch a stream for DOS3, and this is what I have just watched. Cursor is the same, elemental environment, scenarios, movement, buttons, labels, GUI, icons, character creation, pre made characters... Even the way you start the game is the same!

This can be a great game, but something was lost from the old BG style and this is kinda sad.

Yeah visually it does not look like an old school CRPG at all.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron

i don't understand what in their point of view makes this a Baldur's Gate game

Mortmal

Arcane
Amazing, I am floored. I didn't imagine even in my wildest dreams they would be so faithful to D&D. This is cause for celebration, anyone who thinks otherwise is insane. Speaking purely from a combat perspective.
Finally a cause for celebration indeed,we enter the titanium age of rpgs ! Only thing we dont know is how good the plot will be, probably above average anyway. Can only hope for it to be successful enough so we get several more extensions and settings. Larian D&D dragon lance next.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The only hope for RPGs right now is with Iron Tower, Styg, Pathfinder, and Za/Um. Four great RPG developers, not bad at all.
Honestly,if this came in time of drought i would have been pissed. But now we have a ton of upcoming good games. Encased,trudograd,colony ship,solsta,realms beyond,nu kingmaker,black gayxer, and quite a few more. Thus i will be annoyed for a day or two and move on to just mocking this pile of shit.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This game was never going to have anything to do with Baldur's Gate in terms of visual style, tone or gameplay, and we all knew this.

As for its eventual qualities, IMO after D:OS2's combat system, Swen doesn't deserve a shred of credit.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Jesus why the fuck 3-D? Have they learned nothing?

The mechanic just adds absolutely nothing to a turn based RPG experience, other than having to fanny about with the camera constantly. The only thing you actually get from it is more busywork.

Stupid cunts.

The game I'm currently working on has 3d/isometric free roam with 2D grid combat. But that's just because I'm broke/lazy.

I'll take credit for good game design though.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
you can hate rtwp* and bg all you want.... but i kinda liked them, not loved them.
but it didnt feel for second this had anything to do with bg... not 1 second.

*im not a big fan either

ArchAngel

Arcane

I agree.
This BG3 is about as similar to Bg1 and Bg2 as Star Trek Picard is similar to TNG...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I think I'd be much happier with the game if they called it anything other than Baldur's Gate 3. It doesn't really capture the same feelings I had for those games in this one at all.
I definitely agree there. This is as if they had named the original Baldur's Gate "Eye of the Beholder 4" or "Curse of the Azure Bonds 2". All good D&D games but not related apart from sharing the same rules and taking place in the Forgotten Realms. I wish Larian/WotC had enough faith in their game to start a new franchise instead of using an old name to grab attention.

Codex Year of the Donut
Of course the retards that enjoyed shit like FO:NV, D:OS series, PoE, and so on are going to lap this up. The game looks like fucking shit. Nuke the Codex now because it's gone completely to the dogs. 3D looking graphics that are absolutely horrible. An isometric view isn't really isometric, with the other camera view being popamole third-person. Combat which looks incredibly boring, filled to the brim with shitty special effects. And the voice acting/character models?

Trash.
lvHhyot.png

Go fucking play your retarded book

jungl

Augur
looks alright funny how swen looked like he was going cry at end of demo that did not go as planned. real time dnd is janky I can only imagine how janky 5th edition would play using that jump shove commands and initiative not affecting move order. Real time games there still stuff like company of heroes 2 to play.

Jezal_k23

too much ai climbing ladder and struggling with their own hyped verticality.

I agree with this particular thing. That AI going up and down shit was a thing ever since they introduced verticality in DOS2. A problem carried over to BG3. They gotta fix it eventually.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

i don't understand what in their point of view makes this a Baldur's Gate game
License and naming rights that they've bought.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Game doesn't feel like BG, doesn't play like BG and doesn't sound like BG. It is only BG in name. It is Divinity OS3 indeed. But since the Divinity games are great (mostly the first, but the 2nd is not bad either) I can't say that I don't like this. It is different. If I want to play a BG-esque game, I can play the original, play Pillars 1-2, play Pathfinder 1-2 or other indie games, but as something new, this can be great fun.

Niklasgunner

Savant
Jesus why the fuck 3-D? Have they learned nothing?

The mechanic just adds absolutely nothing to a turn based RPG experience, other than having to fanny about with the camera constantly. The only thing you actually get from it is more busywork.

Stupid cunts.
this is peak boomer grognard :positive:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why is that if there is a shit game coming out,there is always rusty_shackleford in the thread getting butthurt and prising that fat load of cum he got from the X famous developer??? You are like a fucking glamour whore mate,you will suck on the biggest shit if it comes from a famous place lol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom