Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
black gayxer

Untitled.png

what fuckin game is this shit?

Falksi

Arcane
Jesus why the fuck 3-D? Have they learned nothing?

The mechanic just adds absolutely nothing to a turn based RPG experience, other than having to fanny about with the camera constantly. The only thing you actually get from it is more busywork.

Stupid cunts.
this is peak boomer grognard :positive:

In a turn based combat 3-D adds absolutely nothing.

All a 3-D setting really does for a game is create a sense of action through dynamic changes in the visuals. When you're playing turn based there is no dynamism, it's all about considered action and paced as such.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think it looked pretty entertaining and I'm glad that it's not some PoE style nostalgia milking spiritual successor. I can understand that some BG fans feel let down though.
Tell me a single thing you saw that makes you think of Baldur's gate games. The game is a fucking rip off and reskin of dos2

FeelTheRads

Arcane
go fucking play your retarded book
Why so upset, rusty_shackleford

Well, he's actually not wrong on that one.

Especially when quoting that special needs kid who barely joined and now thinks the codex has "gone to the dogs". If your tastes align with his you might have a problem.

And, no matter how shit this might be, yes, at least it's not Disco Elysium. This actually looks like it has something to play if nothing else.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Tell me a single thing you saw that makes you think of Baldur's gate games. The game is a fucking rip off and reskin of dos2

Nothing and that is a good thing because I never liked BG. For fans it's of course a let down to sell this as BG.

The aesthetics are obviously similar to the Original Sin games, I don't know why they didn't have a different artstyle to differentiate it or to give it some personality. Which brings me to my next point, what's up with designers making these slick, clean looking corporate UIs, they are devoid of any soul. The dialogue leaves a lot to be desired, it doesn't feel like grown people are talking, and the animations needs a lot of work. Overall it doesn't feel like a successor to the name Baldur's Gate.

drgames

Scholar
I recently played BG2, and I can tell you that this game has no similarities to the baldur's gate saga, from what I saw in the preview.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Go fucking play your retarded book
You fucking cocksucker. I will go and play my "book". You know why? Because it's not popamole 3D faggotry, with a garbage combat system that is a mile wide but only an inch deep. How the fuck can you look at that demo and have anything positive to say about it? The writing and story will be garbage, there will be no C&C, the combat looks fucking horrid, and the game just looks like shit with those horrendous animations and terrible art. Why the fuck are you here if this is the kind of game you're looking to play.
You people are self-sabotaging, joyless catastrophizers.
You fucking monkey, how are we self-sabotaging? The game is an amalgamation of all the absolutely decline triple A tendencies that have taken over the gaming industry. ISOMETRIC VIEW DOESN'T FUCKING WORK FOR 3D GAMES. Holy shit, I don't understand why people keep trying to do this. A rotating camera view is fucking garbage, and will never compare to a 2D, fixed camera, which ensures that every moment of the game is in the perfect view as intended by the developer.
This is the first AAA turn-based D&D RPG ever, and taking into consideration the AAA part this is absolutely surreal and almost tailor-made for Codex tastes. Yes, the visuals can be a bit ...too much, but the combat and verticality, the sozzy-ness of being able to talk to people with all of your companions while your main is skulking around, the faithful adaptation of D&D 5E, the amount of physical feats you can do in combat (jump, dash, push, pull, shove, I think I saw grapple there as well), the itemisation not being random, etc. etc. are all pure incline and almost hard to believe is actually happening. Not to mention we are also getting a bunch of other RPGs, like the new Pathfinder, Realms Beyond, Solasta, Colony Ship, and so on. This is fantastic, we should be overjoyed.
Lmao. The art and graphics looks like shit, the combat looked fucking trash (when has a lack of verticality in combat EVER been an issue?), D&D 5E is major decline compared to second edition AD&D, the UI looks like shit and is reminiscent of an MMO, and the list goes on. I know you have shit taste, but come on. This is anything but tailor-made for the Codex.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Business interview: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-dungeon-master-for-a-new-era-of-baldurs-gate

"We're a strange company -- it's really about the game. We didn't plan on growing to 350, or 250 internally, but Baldur's Gate told us to. And it's actually telling us to grow even more to support everything that we want to do. So our hope and aspirations is that there's a market for it. We think there is -- we've seen with Original Sin 2 how big the market is -- so we think that for BG3 the market is probably bigger, with the support of Wizards and Dungeons & Dragons. And if we screw it up, I think it's for a good reason."

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The Disco Elysium player is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him a Disco Elysium player and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

The idea that only one form of RPG is worth having is beyond silly, but this whole damn forum sees either/or everywhere.

Niklasgunner

Savant
In a turn based combat 3-D adds absolutely nothing.

All a 3-D setting really does for a game is create a sense of action through dynamic changes in the visuals. When you're playing turn based there is no dynamism, it's all about considered action and paced as such.

As you say it adds visual appeal, which on its own is a good enough reason. The camera was never an issue in the Divinity OS games anyway as any geometry that causes occlusion wasn't rendered.

Shadenuat

Arcane
The aesthetics are obviously similar to the Original Sin games, I don't know why they didn't have a different artstyle to differentiate it or to give it some personality. Which brings me to my next point, what's up with designers making these slick, clean looking corporate UIs, they are devoid of any soul. The dialogue leaves a lot to be desired, it doesn't feel like grown people are talking, and the animations needs a lot of work. Overall it doesn't feel like a successor to the name Baldur's Gate.
Yeah, the moment prepared action creates giant glowing light in your hand, you know it's DOS.

if it looked very different and had different feel to it, like ToEE, different menus at least, ui, animations, portraits inspired by IE games, it would have had a different effect. but it's DOS, cannot unsee it.

also BGs start somewhat gloomy - ur dad killed, or friends tortured. here's it like "we were on illithid shep and gona turn to illitids, need to find healer. gonna joke around and be pleasant with elf cleric and frolick around bandits skeletons and tombs and more jokes".
kinda like NWN2 a bit maybe?

also if not for opening intro, I only would have learned we're in Faerun when 1 item he looted said it's a Selune symbol.

finally, I wonder how they designed the world. can you stumble on high level enemies, and how will it work? I think enemies did have some symbols showing their difficulty level but not sure.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
i think we learned enough at "ima going to roll a persuasion check against myself". they're not taking it seriously, "bg is minsc" etc., so you will never fall in love with this game - because you'll never believe in the world of the game. (although you might enjoy the mechanics)
You're going full retard full steam ahead.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think it looked pretty entertaining and I'm glad that it's not some PoE style nostalgia milking spiritual successor. I can understand that some BG fans feel let down though.
He....didn't say that this reminds him of BG. He just doesn't care what the game is called if it is entertaining.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Skimmed through and oh it is Dragon Age: Origins, ha! The pictures were deceiving. Well I am enthused and cautiously optimistic. Dialog is iffy but otherwise bring it on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom