Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Mortmal

Arcane
You've been here since 2006 and you don't know wtf a grognard is?
Damn...

Heard the term many times before just never cared enough to know where it came from. I'm not really part of the Codex family, too autistic for that i just come here to sperg and troll lmao
Grognards were napoleon's elite force , a prestige corp, complaining all the time even in front of the emperor (the only soldiers allowed to do that),complaining all the time but they keep going on , surviving every battlefields and loyal to death.

Last edited:

Turuko

Learned
4 party size is a shame. Mods wont help because of balance issues.
I don't know where this "party size of 4" comes from, but it's a) not confirmed and b) shown in the leaked screenshots to not be true.
The inventory screen seems to be "made" for 4 characters. But yeah, the leaked images show 5 PCs
there will be battles with more char for sure but they will probably be situational like in DOS2
and i'm not sure you will be able to control the additional ones

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I demand a different quality to writing now.
Exactly, whatever they do they can't win. If writing say the same it'll be goofy and too larianesque, if they change it it will be #NOTMYBALDURSGATE
The only winning move is to be a fencesitter and shitpoast.
You don't see me going "#NOTMYBALDURSGATE", so I can't answer for those people.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Once you got your tank, healer, thief and spell slinger, that's that. A party of four means you'll never bring along any of the more unorthodox classes.

norolim

Arcane
Have you all played BG and IWD knowing the D&D rules? Be honest.
I was playing and DM-ing AD&D a lot at the time, so when I started my first playthrough of BG2 I knew the rules very well. First, I built a copy of my PnP character. His name was Stratus and he was a huge, dumb warrior with a 2H sword. After a few encounters I restarted with a completely new one.

As far as BG3, it is indeed too similar to DOS2, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It is has a rather evolved TB combat, from what I saw and read a fairly faithful representation of 5E, it's pseudo-isometric... what's not to like? Well, there are a few minor things.

First, a party of just 4. That's just unacceptable in a BG game. Larian should make an effort to increase the size from what they had in OS2, because this is just being lazy. Second, UI is a clutter-fuck. I hope this is not the final version, because it needs a lot of tidying. And last but not least, among the origin choices there don't seem to be any options for gamers that want to play as a male character, but not a homosexual one. I hope, making my own character(s) is a viable option in terms of gameplay and content.

One last thing. It seems the fears, some had in 2017, that Codex would be swarmed by fugitives from neogaf were justified, after all. The amount of retarded nufags ITT, complaining about graphics, lip-syncing, jump animations and other such trivial shit and asking for RTwP combat is astounding. Guys, I heard the neogaf forum has been renamed to something else (neofag?) and re-established. You should check it out... I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
there will be battles with more char for sure but they will probably be situational like in DOS2
and i'm not sure you will be able to control the additional ones

Here's a battle with additional NPCs you can't control, they are not shown where your party is -

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I'm not really part of the Codex family

Ysoy3Af.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Even something as artificial as cool-downs can make sense. It all depends on said settings rules...

Name one. Except in REd Orchestra where your LMG can overheat(but you can change the barrel) i can't think in a single reason to have it...

Balance is not about making a game all around symmetric, like Sawyer thinks. It's about knowing what to take, and more importantly, give to the players while still maintaining a sense of challenge and accomplishment. Additionally in the case of games with multiple playstyles, like figthing games or RPG's, it's also must do that while preserving the uniqueness and utility of each playstyle. Each tool for the rigth job and all that...

Yep. But look to NWN1. Nobody play pale masters there exactly because they are useless. One summon limit + no caster level gain kills the class...

warlocks on nwn2 also are nerfed to oblivion compared to pnp due """""balances""""" and are useless without mods.

In D&D 5, metamagic feats are a class feature for sorcerers, it's enough to make them very different from wizards.

Not only that. Your bloodline affects a lot of things on your characters

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Yeah I'm not using the word in that sense. I'm talking about CRPG grognards, not old wargaming grognards.

Noted. Yeah, the term seems to be employed more relatively these days, and also as an adjective. So we get erroneous degrees of grognard. But I'd rebel at using grognard to describe a Goldbox gamer. Vocab fails at this point because it hasn't been talked about much.

This was actually my first introduction to the use of word -- to describe old CRPG players who felt that the Goldbox games were the pinnacle achievement of CRPGs. Which they may have well been back then, but they were admittedly a little before my time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I hope I get to keep the tadpole but I hate that I live in a world where it's even a choice to kill such a sacred life.
Speaking of, the "safest" and most dependable way of removing a tadpole is by squashing the person's head and then resurrecting them. Not sure why Larian want to perverse the lore so much when other curses or timers could be employed instead (if they want an element of that).

I don't know where this "party size of 4" comes from, but it's a) not confirmed and b) shown in the leaked screenshots to not be true.
This is the inventory screen:
rg5t9Uo.png
But maybe it's just a work in progress.
Probably 4 only. Steam Clearly states that coop is 4 people max, which probably matches squad size.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This is the inventory screen:
rg5t9Uo.png
But maybe it's just a work in progress.
I'm pretty sure they are going to go with 4 due to D:OS, but I'm hoping they don't. Or maybe have a feat which expands the party size, like Leadership in SoZ.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom