Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Harthwain

Magister
Dips bow.

Seriously what were they thinking drinking?

Draq came up with the correct answer in two seconds.
They probably wanted weapons to have additional effects for combat. Also, I don't think there are arrows, so you're dipping a bow instead.

Here's what I think will go wrong - writing will fail to be meaningful or engaging. I'm sure they'll find a way to make a vampire, one of the most ripe for exploitation things, pointless and sterile.
Isn't that already the case? I mean, it'd be interesting to have to think about Vampire's drawbacks, but they literally took them away at the start of the game, so... Unless the catch is that you can get rid of the worm and lose its beneficial side-effects, meaning you WILL have to confront your racial weaknesses at some point? I don't think this is too likely a possibility though.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
based belgians delivering turn-based incline:smug:

Obshitian had their chance on making bg3 and they fucked up so badly that even their hardcore fans and IE nostalgiafags did not buy the sequel.

Is that really all it takes for you people to call something incline? Can one of the people calling this shit incline give a single good reason other than "it's turn based and I like turn based :retarded:"

DraQ

Arcane
Dipping could be interesting and meaningful mechanics, especially if it would occur automatically on, for example melee attacks:
  • Slash a character after successfully slashing zombie - the character now has zombie cooties
  • Attack acidic slime - your weapon will now deal acid damage for a limited duration but will be damaged over this duration as well (modified by material and it's acid resistance/immunity)
Well implemented complexity is multitude of simple mechanics interacting in unexpected, yet logical ways.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
TB now considered "accessible."

The peasant you quoted plays current gen TB games, such as the ones Larian makes.

There is a yawning gulf between current gen TB accessibility and the accessibility of Jagged Alliance 2, Silent Storm and ToEE, which would break the peasant's brain.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Why are you surprised? RTwP is a chaotic clusterfuck, TB was always more accessible. (assuming if by "accessible" we're talking about actually disabled players, not players who can't stand not seeing any action happening on the screen for more than a second.)

Polanski

Scholar
I haven't been following this since I suspected it was a made by the same as the devs that made the Siege of Dragonspear.

I see now that it is a Baldur's Gate game, in the same way that Fallout 3 was a Fallout game.

Still, D:OS in a D&D setting is something I will likely try out.

based belgians delivering turn-based incline:smug:

Obshitian had their chance on making bg3 and they fucked up so badly that even their hardcore fans and IE nostalgiafags did not buy the sequel.

Is that really all it takes for you people to call something incline? Can one of the people calling this shit incline give a single good reason other than "it's turn based and I like turn based :retarded:"

Its not rtwp and rtwp is almost universally shit?:roll:
Like 80% of time you spent fighting trash mob where all you do is select all your team and auto-attack. The high points of IE games were encounters with mages/high level magic monsters and it was not due to rtwp but faithful adaptation of AD&D magic system. So far BG3 seems to follow 5ed rules quite faithfully. There is hope that Larian will go with more handcrafted encounters cause i sure as fuck cant imagine fighting through xvarts village from bg1 in turn based game.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
End of Act II or III - PC is basically Denzel Washington at the end of Fallen, it was all a flashback, might explain the past tense dialogue choices
Act III (or IV) - PC brings some incline to Faerûn as a Illithid?

Well, might be nice.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Let's do it with game too, but only after adherence to DnD mechanics prevents them from doing anything stupid, like item fever exponential stat inflation or armor bars.

Prevent? See DDO. The game was supposed to be based on D&D but you have the same problem of 99,9% of mmos.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Isn't that already the case? I mean, it'd be interesting to have to think about Vampire's drawbacks, but they literally took them away at the start of the game, so... Unless the catch is that you can get rid of the worm and lose its beneficial side-effects, meaning you WILL have to confront your racial weaknesses at some point? I don't think this is too likely a possibility though.
Yes, that's kinda disappointing. I was hoping that maybe he should take continuous damage if he isn't in the shadows or maybe he has an at-will Darkness spell to help him move in the daylight, but I doubt they'd do that. That raises the question of why they decided he should be a vampire, why not something else? He can still philosophize about his desire for blood and how that conflicts with his current situation, i.e. being forced to travel with mortals and having to suppress his urges. It might be a good exploration of deviancy and its effect on the psyche in our own society, but that's beyond Larian's competency.

There's also the question of who wants to play a predetermined character in a D&D game. I doubt I'll ever choose any of the origin stories, it seems contradictory.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Why are you surprised? RTwP is a chaotic clusterfuck, TB was always more accessible. (assuming if by "accessible" we're talking about actually disabled players, not players who can't stand not seeing any action happening on the screen for more than a second.)

I took it to mean casual/mainstream. No one is talking about disabled gamers.

For decades developers pushed to make TB games while publishers insisted on RT because TB didn't sell. That's the story of Larian too. Sven always wanted to make TB games but studios wouldn't let him, so when they finally went independent he made a TB game.

Lilura probably has it right in that modern TB is more ez mode than oldschool (nuXCOM vs original) so game design is not inherently more or less accessible. But I know tons of gamers who would never touch RPGs because they "couldn't get into" turn based gameplay. Meanwhile they all LURVED Skyrim and Fallout 3.

Last edited:

Chunkyman

Augur
I think Larian is the most competent (semi) major RPG developer on the market today, and were the only ones out of the "Kickstarter RPG Renaissance" who I think actually delivered a good game (Wasteland 2, Tides, and PoE were all shit), so I was already pretty confident they could handle something like Baldur's Gate 3 quite well. The gameplay demo pretty solidly convinced me the Larian knows what they're doing and that the game is going to be at least good and worth a buy (whether it will be truly great is yet to be seen). I especially like that they ignored the screeching retards wanting RTwP combat just because the "real" Baldur's Gate games had it, ignoring that both RTwP is shit and the fact that Dungeons & Dragons is designed as a turn based game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Oh, Swen definitely has balls of steel to go TB, not only because of the RTwP expectation but also due to AAA expectations. I can't stress enough how cringe the chat during the stream was. I kinda felt a bit of uncertainty in Swen's voice, as if he wasn't sure how the audience would react to the TB announcement. Maybe he was the one who leaked the game before that to minimize the blow, lolool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom