Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Jinn

Arcane
Honestly I'd rather they end the series in the next 10 years than the next 30.

Game of Thrones Wheel of Time style series are just shit

I really just want a Calvard series. I'd be happy if they tied it off there.

Deleted member 7219

Honestly I'd rather they end the series in the next 10 years than the next 30.

Game of Thrones Wheel of Time style series are just shit

I really just want a Calvard series. I'd be happy if they tied it off there.

TITS 3 made me think this will all build to a massive crescendo involving the Septian Church, an explanation of Aidios etc. And TOCS made me think all of that would tie into the Black Records too.

There would need to be at least one game set in Arteria, Zemuria's version of the Vatican, to wrap it all up.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
A Calvard series with the remaining Sept Terrions as the central McGuffins and the final game in Arteria then!

Deleted member 7219

Checking Geofront every day for updates. Really wish it would come out but I also don't want to play with bugs. Still, had to download it again from my OneDrive yesterday just to feel like it was ready for when the patch finally gets released.

nzbpO3w.png

Ysaye

Arbiter
I am nearing the end of TOCS 3.

Ash shooting the Emperor... god I hated him, and then doubt is cast as to whether he was in control of his actions - this will likely be expanded upon before the end of the game but what drama. I think I actually prefer the low drama of TITS and TOCS 1. One of the things I liked about Trails was how it took its time - the games felt low key with a few dramatic points here and here, that served an overall story arc - but now I feel it just keeps going up and up a level and is starting to become ridiculous. I wanted at least four more sagas in the Trails series - Calvard, Zemiferia, Leman - before ending in Arteria for the ultimate conclusion. I based this off comments from the Falcom president a few years back who said, at the release of TOCS 4, Trails wasn't even half way done. But the way things are going I fear they are rushing it.

Yes good luck for finding out those answers and things calming down; there is a reason why a lot of people complained about the ending (although I thought is was really good, despite the cliffhanger). I loved the use of the remixed "Decisive Collision" tune in those last few boss battles where
Rean & Co are the ones who are "decisive" whereas many of their opponents are questioning why they are even opposing them.

The stakes will probably go down a notch or two for Calvard. I think there will also be some stuff in the "far east" as well (which I get the impression is not Calvard), as you will know by now Yun Ka Fai is over there right now and has written to Rean about how everything is climate changing due to the over-use of Orbal technology drying up and dying there....

Jinn

Arcane
Geofront progress thing is now at "34/0". Really hope it's a microissue countdown or something!

EDIT Several Hours Later: it's at 35/0 now. I'm pretty sure they're just fucking with us or something.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

I finished TOCS 3 last night.

First time I've not really been happy with the ending. The cliffhanger was fine - I knew about TOCS 4 already - but the character motivations at this point don't make any sense.

I suppose Chancellor Osborne wants to end the world because he "doesn't have a heart", having given it to Rean - ok, so how is he still alive?

I guess I shouldn't care because death is meaningless in Trails now. Crow was killed but now he's back. It really diminishes the emotional impact when characters get killed on camera - they take a massive fucking spear through the heart - and then come back after. At least with the Emperor they said he was in a "critical condition" rather than killed, but it was pointless for them to blow up the Courageous with Olivier, Victor Arseid and Toval on it because we know they're going to come back.

The head witch, Roselia, is like 500 years old, this isn't explained, so whatever - just go with it!

George is an absolutely murderous evil bastard working for the Black Workshop. He's also really old like Roselia. Just throw all of that in there with barely any explanation, whatever.

Alicia's dad is actually still alive, evil and wants to destroy the world, throw that in, barely any explanation, whatever.

Aurelia is probably evil too and probably scheming with Ouroboros. The double and even triple crosses and characters suddenly turning evil are really starting to wear on me.

Surely Captain Claire has seen enough of Osborne's evil shit to leave him and join up with the good guys. She always struck me as a good guy. What the fuck is she doing?

Same with Rufus, he seemed to be to be one of the most intelligent, capable characters in the whole Trails universe, but no, he's just shackled himself to the Chancellor, for what? To end the world, lol!

Why are the Jaegars fighting for Osborne's mad plans to end the world? What is in it for them? Their allegiances in previous games were driven either by profit or by fighting for a homeland. What are they fighting for now? Why are they fighting for the guy who took their country away from them? Why do they want to destroy the world?

Same for Ouroboros, the Stahritter etc. I always thought Ouroboros wanted to control the world, not end it, through their nefarious schemes... I guess they have a plan but it's frustrating to see it dragged out for so long while we see their characters do stupid things.

Sharon, what is her deal? I thought she was reformed. Guess not. She's happy to end the world too.

It's all just "LOL SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON" shit now, which is a real shame because the previous games in the series - even when they had anime tropes - didn't give me that vibe.

Anyway, now I'll wait for TOCS 4 and see all the dead people come back to life again, more good characters turn psychotic evil, and maybe have a few psychotic evil characters suddenly become "good" again and we're meant to love them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ysaye

Arbiter
I finished TOCS 3 last night.

First time I've not really been happy with the ending. The cliffhanger was fine - I knew about TOCS 4 already - but the character motivations at this point don't make any sense.

I suppose Chancellor Osborne wants to end the world because he "doesn't have a heart", having given it to Rean - ok, so how is he still alive?

I guess I shouldn't care because death is meaningless in Trails now. Crow was killed but now he's back. It really diminishes the emotional impact when characters get killed on camera - they take a massive fucking spear through the heart - and then come back after. At least with the Emperor they said he was in a "critical condition" rather than killed, but it was pointless for them to blow up the Courageous with Olivier, Victor Arseid and Toval on it because we know they're going to come back.

The head witch, Roselia, is like 500 years old, this isn't explained, so whatever - just go with it!

George is an absolutely murderous evil bastard working for the Black Workshop. He's also really old like Roselia. Just throw all of that in there with barely any explanation, whatever.

Alicia's dad is actually still alive, evil and wants to destroy the world, throw that in, barely any explanation, whatever.

Aurelia is probably evil too and probably scheming with Ouroboros. The double and even triple crosses and characters suddenly turning evil are really starting to wear on me.

Surely Captain Claire has seen enough of Osborne's evil shit to leave him and join up with the good guys. She always struck me as a good guy. What the fuck is she doing?

Same with Rufus, he seemed to be to be one of the most intelligent, capable characters in the whole Trails universe, but no, he's just shackled himself to the Chancellor, for what? To end the world, lol!

Why are the Jaegars fighting for Osborne's mad plans to end the world? What is in it for them? Their allegiances in previous games were driven either by profit or by fighting for a homeland. What are they fighting for now? Why are they fighting for the guy who took their country away from them? Why do they want to destroy the world?

Same for Ouroboros, the Stahritter etc. I always thought Ouroboros wanted to control the world, not end it, through their nefarious schemes... I guess they have a plan but it's frustrating to see it dragged out for so long while we see their characters do stupid things.

Sharon, what is her deal? I thought she was reformed. Guess not. She's happy to end the world too.

It's all just "LOL SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON" shit now, which is a real shame because the previous games in the series - even when they had anime tropes - didn't give me that vibe.

Anyway, now I'll wait for TOCS 4 and see all the dead people come back to life again, more good characters turn psychotic evil, and maybe have a few psychotic evil characters suddenly become "good" again and we're meant to love them.

To be fair...

The game shows at the end that Osborne is not necessarily the one associated with the why - he (and possibly Franz) are simply fulfilling the will of another being. Yes we don't know the full details at this stage, but the scene with him and the Emperor show that clearly he has a plan - whether this is the same plan as Ishmelga's or a plan to get everyone out of the mess (albeit via Osborne's typical machevellian ways) or not is not clear.

All those that are roughly provable as having died (Crow, Sandlot, Jaeger King, Osborne) have a pretty strong common ink as to what has brought them back to life. Again the why is not explained but I am sure we will find out in the next game.

Roselia is a vampire so that can explain the 500 years but also if you listened to her speech after the Zoro Argruga and consider what was explained about the history of the Fire and Earth (Steel) Sept-Terrion and which bits haven't shown up yet..."

George Nome AKA G. Nome is a gnome. Given that was his name from Cold Steel 1 I think it is right to assume he is been around about a plant for some time. I didn't think it was implied he is really old though? He also makes a big thing about trying to show that he is evil...but maybe that is because he is bound to follow the will of the Gnome Clan, and has to been seen to be doing that?

I think it is safe to say that Aurelia was always with the Noble faction, and has just been waiting her turn. Are Ouroborous playing both sides of this conflict to maximize their chances of getting the sept-terrion? most probably given the roles and actions of Vita and LeBlanc.

Franz? Yes he is a big shock but again there was a bit implied in that quest about the watch in Cold Steel 2 that he was more important than they were letting on and it was implied that he was the target of Sharon, and the fact that she hadn't given up her association, just holding it...

Claire has clear daddy issues for Osborne, and he has obviously told her and Lechter that he can guide them out of all of this....

Rufus is just an ambitious prick looking for an opportunity to gain power out of conflict.

The Jaegars are driven by money, and endless conflict across the world can only increase the profits they can make. Also Zephyr got their boss back, so helping them out may be part of the deal.

Ouroboros want the Sept-Terrion but have players on both sides - clearly some of them think that they can avoid the end of the world via Osborne's path, whilst others don't think so.

Sharon has always made it clear from CS2 that she was temporarily on loan to the Reinfords barring a condition occurring.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Pretty much everything is explained in ToCS4
Except Claire and Lechter remaining on Osborne's side for most of the final game even after the events of ToCS3 doesn't make any sense.
but whether you find all the explanations satisfactory or making sense is up to you :neveraskedforthis:

Deleted member 7219

Pretty much everything is explained in ToCS4
Except Claire and Lechter remaining on Osborne's side for most of the final game even after the events of ToCS3 doesn't make any sense.
but whether you find all the explanations satisfactory or making sense is up to you :neveraskedforthis:

Glad to hear that 4 will resolve it all, I’m ready to leave Erebonia behind and get back to the overarching plot of the Sept-Terrions, the ancient Zemurian civilisation, Ouroboros, Aidios, the Septian Church and how they all come together.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Hajimari no Kiseki self-composite character portraits (continued)

G8yBhx8.png

FWIW, don't know whether Sara will be a major character or not.

oulwjCy.jpg

Ysaye

Arbiter
Hajimari no Kiseki self-composite character portraits (continued)

FWIW, don't know whether Sara will be a major character or not.

From the article on Siliconera (Not posting any of the other stuff as lots and lots of spoilers with that article):

"The game’s story may touch upon what will happen with the Nord Highlands, and it seems Gaius, Emma, and Sarah will be a part of the story taking place there".

Kaivokz

Arcane
Just finished Cold Steel II. Overall impressions positive. The story is a bit cheesy but I couldn’t help chuckling to myself at the end of the epilogue. They captured the angst of youth well.

World building was excellent, as always. Seems like the story might start taking off in III. I have a soft spot for the original cast, but shifting the focus was the right choice after two long games of the same supporting cast.

Difficulty on nightmare in II was disappointing; I one or two shot every boss in the game (Rean S-Craft + Emma lost art in Overdrive 2) and had to hold back to actually see what bosses could do. Sara was basically invulnerable with 100% physical and magical evade, long range counter attacks, and 30CP insight (+ mirror and the holy ring spells). Gaius was my fourth, running juggler + 4 ailments + chaos, and support spells. Rean had max str + the extra damage slower recovery MQ + first craft is double damage. Emma had max ats + first art is double damage + the EP leech master quartz. Every damaging art restored her entire EP gauge so she could do things like spam chrono burst to get to a crit or free art and then refill EP. Plus cast speed doesn’t matter: chrono burst = instant cast spells. Character customization and gameplay were fun, but it would have been better if nightmare gave a challenge.

Starting up the third one now, but I probably won’t sink much time in until IV gets a western release date.

Deleted member 7219

Just finished Cold Steel II. Overall impressions positive. The story is a bit cheesy but I couldn’t help chuckling to myself at the end of the epilogue. They captured the angst of youth well.

World building was excellent, as always. Seems like the story might start taking off in III. I have a soft spot for the original cast, but shifting the focus was the right choice after two long games of the same supporting cast.

Difficulty on nightmare in II was disappointing; I one or two shot every boss in the game (Rean S-Craft + Emma lost art in Overdrive 2) and had to hold back to actually see what bosses could do. Sara was basically invulnerable with 100% physical and magical evade, long range counter attacks, and 30CP insight (+ mirror and the holy ring spells). Gaius was my fourth, running juggler + 4 ailments + chaos, and support spells. Rean had max str + the extra damage slower recovery MQ + first craft is double damage. Emma had max ats + first art is double damage + the EP leech master quartz. Every damaging art restored her entire EP gauge so she could do things like spam chrono burst to get to a crit or free art and then refill EP. Plus cast speed doesn’t matter: chrono burst = instant cast spells. Character customization and gameplay were fun, but it would have been better if nightmare gave a challenge.

Starting up the third one now, but I probably won’t sink much time in until IV gets a western release date.

Trails is at its most fun when you figure out how to game the system on nightmare

Kaivokz

Arcane
Trails is at its most fun when you figure out how to game the system on nightmare
Can you cheese III and one shot gods on nightmare, too?

I only fought a couple of battles at the naval fortress, but the changes they made to combat (battle orders, break gauge, maybe even more varied crafts) feel fresh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom