Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Shame about the locked in class selection for origin characters, amongst other things

rhollis

Educated
Patron
fuck this big parties are fun. not only in terms of char building, and dressing up, but their personalities and banter and stuff.

Big parties are fun, but you might get all characters + banter when camping.

Shame about the locked in class selection for origin characters, amongst other things

Don't think that's decided yet. Wouldn't make sense since Swen said they are discussing whether to allow respec of companion classes (since all companions are origin characters).

Elex

Arbiter
Bard is the best as face.

Why is bard > other charisma classes?

TL; DR in 5e you can play with a mono class group or mix with no real limit or problem.

4 bards? Can do all
4 paladins? They suck at ranged but no problem.
4 clerics? A-men Easy mode.
4 wizards? If you win initiative there is no hope for the enemy.
4 warlocks? I guess you really like eldritch blast.
Etc

I'm officially on board with 4-man party given 5E class flexibility.
Bards have expertise and a lot of social interaction spells.

Elex

Arbiter
fuck this big parties are fun. not only in terms of char building, and dressing up, but their personalities and banter and stuff.

only 4 chars already killing half of my fun.
They are fun but also extremely powerfull.

For example 6 paladins at level 15 can deal 72d8 radiant damage to Tiamat with their smite (12 lvl 4 smite) : the average damage of a d8 is 4.5 so 324 damage, and you should also add the weapon damage +stat + others bonus.

tiamat have 615 HP if tiamat is lucky can survive 3 turns.

And they still have resource for kill the tarrasque after that.

Tarrasque and tiamat are CR 30 monster.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly the more I think about it, the more I don't get why they are meddling (AGAIN) with the initiative system.
Why change a basic feature that distinguishes the "dexterity based" classes?
It's really the main thing that bothers me a lot. I can live with 4 PCs, even if I'd have preferred more.

Harthwain

Magister
Honestly the more I think about it, the more I don't get why they are meddling (AGAIN) with the initiative system.
It's really the main thing that bothers me a lot. I can live with 4 PCs, even if I'd have preferred more.
Here's why:

“Combat works on a simultaneous turn-based method, which basically means it was their turn, it’s now my turn,” as Larian CEO and game director Swen Vincke put it in a press demo. “This is a change that we did to the system which leads to quite a lot of gameplay opportunities. It lets us do quite big battles, as you will see later,” Vincke continued.

rhollis

Educated
Patron
Here's why:

“Combat works on a simultaneous turn-based method, which basically means it was their turn, it’s now my turn,” as Larian CEO and game director Swen Vincke put it in a press demo. “This is a change that we did to the system which leads to quite a lot of gameplay opportunities. It lets us do quite big battles, as you will see later,” Vincke continued.

Agree w/ Harthwain. Take a look at this footage: https://youtu.be/IZ0LJ5BqYrk?t=142

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The more I think about it the more I become convinced that unless they change the initiative system the game will be an irredeemable pile of shit, unless you play without companions that is.
What's wrong with the initiative system?

DnD already has issues with the immense advantage that winning initiative is. Given the crazy capabilities you get after a few levels, combat is already relatively binary but formalizing this by declaring that one team completely wins initiative in every fight? That's just retardation.

Have you ever played XCOM? Every fight once you reach mid level and beyond will be even worse than getting a perfect ambush in lategame XCOM.

This goes doubly if you are intending to play on any higher difficulty level. It is design for story mode.

getter77

Augur
In a better world where their latest Kickstarter had already fully delivered and they were amiable to the licensing and whatnot in good faith, the likes of Spellbound Kingdoms strikes me as a far more apt candidate to get grafted onto the Larian chassis of D:OS 2 in terms of playing to existing strengths and points of design emphasis than we have wound up with in terms of Baldur's Gate and D&D crossing over from tabletop P&P.

As is, they have a steep and perilous road to traverse ahead on Early Access---needs to be far more bold and comprehensive than any of their prior endeavors thus far and hopefully the community can at least manage to prevail on a better than 4 party size among the myriad aspects that spur to wince rather than excite or stoke a sense of adventurous wonder.

rhollis

Educated
Patron
The more I think about it the more I become convinced that unless they change the initiative system the game will be an irredeemable pile of shit, unless you play without companions that is.

DnD already has issues with the immense advantage that winning initiative is. Given the crazy capabilities you get after a few levels, combat is already relatively binary but formalizing this by declaring that one team completely wins initiative in every fight? That's just retardation.

Have you ever played XCOM? Every fight once you reach mid level and beyond will be even worse than getting a perfect ambush in lategame XCOM.

This goes doubly if you are intending to play on any higher difficulty level. It is design for story mode.

Why can't they balance it so you don't win initiative every encounter? These level 1 mobs roll 41 initiative: https://youtu.be/IZ0LJ5BqYrk?t=131

Maybe the threat of losing initiative encourages players to set up stealth ambushes, which would seem to improve gameplay.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Why can't they balance it so you don't win initiative every encounter? These level 1 mobs roll 41 initiative: https://youtu.be/IZ0LJ5BqYrk?t=131

Maybe the threat of losing initiative encourages players to set up stealth ambushes, which would seem to improve gameplay.

It leads to degenerate unfun behaviour.

The thing is that it won't just be a threat, it will force players into a very narrow window of gameplay choices. You will have to set up ambushes or reload until you win initiative.

Furthermore it will force(or very strongly encourage) you into more or less the exact same series of actions every combat because you won't have to adjust to who's going when in the initiative order.

rhollis

Educated
Patron

It leads to degenerate unfun behaviour.

The thing is that it won't just be a threat, it will force players into a very narrow window of gameplay choices. You will have to set up ambushes or reload until you win initiative.

Furthermore it will force(or very strongly encourage) you into more or less the exact same series of actions every combat because you won't have to adjust to who's going when in the initiative order.

Makes sense. BG3 initiative system will be beneficial in terms of encounter pacing but will lead to less interesting strategic decisions.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I've just watched the presentation in full. The game in its current state is a broken mess. Still it looks promising and fun, the worst thing now is lots of D:OS 2 assets which were re-used, I hope it will be changed during development. Maybe it was going to be D:OS 3 originally and then Swen changed it into BG3 when he obtained the license because it will guarantee more sales? Dragon Age look may indicate they are going for the BioWare old fanbase. I fear that competition with Kingmaker will negatively impact development and may force Swen to release the game in an unfinished state (or it will delay the game as it happened with Alpha Protocol).

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
maxresdefault.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom