Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I have one queen Galfrey waiting for me at the end of a crusade who I'm sure will oblige.
So... Baldur's gate turn based is decline now?.. A D&D game turn based is decline?
Turn based isn't decline on its own but a bg3 that has nothing to do with BG and is just taking advantage of the name is. Also larian's decline would overpower any incline they could ever muster.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I have one queen Galfrey waiting for me at the end of a crusade who I'm sure will oblige.
So... Baldur's gate turn based is decline now?.. A D&D game turn based is decline?
Turn based isn't decline on its own but a bg3 that has nothing to do with BG and is just taking advantage of the name is. Also larian's decline would overpower any incline they could ever muster.

So how has nothing to do with BG?.... YOu are not visiting Baldur's gate in the game? You are not revisiting the place you are familiar with? Is not isometric? Is not party based?

You sir with all the respect are full of shit like the others retards that claims this on the basics of nothing.:P

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
nooo it doesnt have my favourite meme companion with a hamster noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

its not reaal baldursgate noooooooooooooooooo

127-kb-png-soy-boy-wojak-transparent-png-782x758-6125894-wojak-transparent-840_838.png

The first thing I'd do is remove all the SFX from the physical feats, that's just silly and not needed. I'd also tone down the spell SFX, it's also not needed for Guiding Bolt to look like a mini nuclear explosion. We don't have too many other visuals to go by, the one valley and the one crypt we've seen don't give us a clear picture. The models are also a bit too "clean", they look very much alike and like they've gone through extensive skincare routine to go out on the catwalk. They need more visual personality, just being a gith is not enough. She doesn't even look like a gith!
this. It triggers the shit out of me how gleaming they are. They look like they have gone to makeup and are on the set of a movie or a play. Their amour is blinding, and looks unused. They look like they bleach their assholes and tweeze their twat hairs. Its fucking triggering as fuck.

What bothers me about both D:OS games is not the 3d or the turn based with multiplayer (why would it?), or the environmental combos thing. It's the fact that both games are bloated with combat and offer nothing interesting once you get past the first act.

I think being bloated with combat (and also each combat encounter being kind of slow) isn't just something that Larian are doing by accident. They really believe that the combat is a selling point of their games, and that people savor it and want lots of it.

See that 2018 interview with Larian's publishing director that LESS T_T posted earlier in this thread. They see themselves as being more in competition with XCOM than with "true RPGs".
I see myself as lots of things

I only have high hopes for the gameplay and exploration, the writing is obviously made-up on the spot and going to be Tumblr-tier. I also rewatched some parts of the gameplay video right now and I think people are jumping to conclusions about the vampire being gay. He says he tried to seduce the noble to bring him to his master, you don't need to be gay to do that.

God forbid the character is gay might make codexers uncomfortable.
the issue is they are all gay

They ruined more lore in 5 minutes

ruining forgotten realms lore after the spellplague, lol
Forgotten Realms in general is quite the infantile setting. Not much that you can ruin.

Exactly. It's a setting where not a single innovation has been created in the last 500+ years.
so add faggots in shiny armour and puffy shirts selling cheese and throwing boots and dipping their balls

Vatnik Wumao
They ruined more lore in 5 minutes

ruining forgotten realms lore after the spellplague, lol
Forgotten Realms in general is quite the infantile setting. Not much that you can ruin.

Exactly. It's a setting where not a single innovation has been created in the last 500+ years.
so add faggots in shiny armour and puffy shirts selling cheese and throwing boots and dipping their balls
Missing the point entirely. Forgotten Realms is a setting which works well for campy adventures. It's neither Tolkien nor GRRM and there's absolutely no problem with that.

Point being, Larian's rendition will (mainly) suck not because it supposedly breaks the already established lore, but because of Larian's vision (including your complaints about "faggots in shiny armour and puffy shirts selling cheese and throwing boots and dipping their balls").

This video says these tadpoles are not standard ones:

So, amongst all the guardians of the lore and Larian haters, there haven't been, at least, one to admit that this cinematic intro looked awesome ?

cool. are they going to make a full length D&D movie? I would be down for that. Otherwise, what I am to do? Watch a 4 minute video 600 times?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Considering the references to Spelljammer, this game should have fewer Gith and more Giff:

latest

The giff are a race of powerfully muscled, hippopotami mercenaries. They are civilized in that they understand the basics of spelljamming, though they lack mages among their own race. Instead, they hire on with various groups throughout the universe as mercenaries, bodyguards, enforcers, and general leg-breakers. They are pretty good at it, too.

The basic form of the giff is humanoid, with stocky, flat, cylindrical legs and a humanoid torso, arms, and fingers. The chest is broad and supports a neckless head that looks like a hippopotamus's. Giff come in colors ranging from black to gray to a rich gold, but many have colorful tattoos that leave their bodies a patchwork record of past jobs and victories. Giffs speak their own language and the common tongue.

The giff are military-minded, and organize themselves into squads, platoons, companies, corps, and larger groups. The number of giff in a platoon varies according to the season, situation, and level of danger involved . A giff "platoon" hired to protect a gambling operation may number two, while a platoon hired to invade an illithid stronghold may number well over a hundred.

- Spelljammer Campaign Setting Box Set (art by Jim Holloway)

Saravan

Savant
I only have high hopes for the gameplay and exploration, the writing is obviously made-up on the spot and going to be Tumblr-tier. I also rewatched some parts of the gameplay video right now and I think people are jumping to conclusions about the vampire being gay. He says he tried to seduce the noble to bring him to his master, you don't need to be gay to do that.

God forbid the character is gay might make codexers uncomfortable.
the issue is they are all gay

It's not even clear at this point whether Astarion is gay as his reference to that man was in the context of luring a victim to drink blood.

Regardless however there are far more interesting parameters to judge character writing besides sexuality but of course if you are a raging neckbeard you might be afraid to catch the gays if you are playing a video game in close proximity to a fictional one.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
“So if you sleep with Liselle one night at camp, the next night you might well just find her sleeping with somebody else. And she’s going to be like, ‘oh, that was a bit of fun, wasn’t it? How are you doing?’ And you’re just like, ‘oh!’ Heartbroken!” - Adam Smith lead writer

https://www.vg247.com/2020/02/27/baldurs-gate-3-romance-all-companions/#below-article
One look at this guy was enough for me to know he likes such shit.

I pity the poor souls that think that a single asset from the alpha will get changed for something new / not reused in final.
Years of watching "first look"-s, "previews", "early access"-es, etc. has taught them nothing. Such innocence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom